ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia High School Football Regional/State Playoffs 2019

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
REGION 3A

#8 Southampton (6-4) at #1 Hopewell (10-0)
#5 Norcom (6-4) at #4 Lafayette (9-1)

#6 Tabb (5-5) at #3 Phoebus (9-1)
#7 Petersburg (5-5) at #2 York (10-0)

BEST FIRST ROUND GAME: #5 Norcom at #4 Lafayette. If the Rams hadn’t slipped up against York, they would be in position for a second round playoff game. Instead, that’s York. Norcom may play a tougher schedule, but this Greyhound team doesn’t have a true quality win. John Marshall (6-4), Petersburg (5-5) and Booker T. Washington (4-6) are at the same level as the teams that Norcom has beaten in previous seasons.

WORST FIRST ROUND GAME: #8 Southampton at #1 Hopewell. The Indians haven’t seen a team like this Hopewell team this year.

REGION 3B

#8 Independence (2-8) at #1 Goochland (9-1)
#5 Skyline (5-5) at #4 William Monroe (6-4)

#6 George Mason (4-6) at #3 Brentsville (7-3)
#7 Central Woodstock (4-6) at #2 James Monroe (2-8)

BEST FIRST ROUND GAME: #5 Skyline at #4 Monroe. Monroe won the regular season meeting 41-27 at Skyline on October 18. Now the Dragons get a chance to beat the Hawks again, this time at home.

REGION 3C

#8 Western Albemarle (4-6) at #1 Heritage-Lynchburg (9-1)
#5 Turner Ashby (6-4) at #4 Liberty Christian (7-3)

#6 Brookville (4-6) at #3 Rockbridge County (8-2)
#7 Fluvanna (5-5) at #2 Spotswood (10-0)

BEST FIRST ROUND GAME: #5 Turner Ashby (5-5) at #4 Liberty Christian (7-3). The two teams have never met. The two teams have no common opponents this season.

WORST FIRST ROUND GAME: #7 Fluvanna at #2 Spotswood. Spotswood navigated the regular season with an undefeated record. The Trailblazers have outscored opponents 410-90 this season. The two teams haven’t met in the last 20 years, if at all.

REGION 3D

#8 William Byrd (3-7) at #1 Lord Botetourt (10-0)
#5 Christiansburg (5-5) at #4 Hidden Valley (6-4)

#6 Bassett (6-4) at #3 Magna Vista (7-3)
#7 Abingdon (5-5) at #2 Northside (7-3)

BEST FIRST ROUND GAME: #6 Bassett at #3 Magna Vista. On Friday, these two teams met at Bassett with Bassett winning 16-12. They’ll turn right around and do it again this week with the loser’s season being done.

WORST FIRST ROUND GAME: #8 Wiliam Byrd at #1 Lord Botetourt. Yet another lopsided first round match up.

– Andy Hilton
http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/757football/vhsl-class-3-bracket/

Last edited:
Interesting - Lafayette’s power points at #4 in Region A would be #1 seed in Region B. That kind of disparity should not really happen. Should be option in these events to cross bracket the two regions from game 1.

Lafayette/ Norcom game will be Saturday at 1 PM at Wanner Stadium. All those Friday night fans can now come on over.

Turner Ashby and Liberty Christian do have a common opponent, Staunton. The Storm finished the season at 2-8, with a big loss to LCA and a win over TA

Interesting - Lafayette’s power points at #4 in Region A would be #1 seed in Region B. That kind of disparity should not really happen. Should be option in these events to cross bracket the two regions from game 1.
Sure. As long as you agree to this concept for every other sport. Much bigger disparity in softball going the other way than there is in football.

Why does everyone think every sport has to be lumped together and all treated the exact same way? Do you buy all your clothes that are “one size fits all”? Start thinking out of the box.

Why does everyone think every sport has to be lumped together and all treated the exact same way? Do you buy all your clothes that are “one size fits all”? Start thinking out of the box.
Why does everyone think when some season seems unfair to their specific team, the whole system should be redone just for them?

Why does everyone think when some season seems unfair to their specific team, the whole system should be redone just for them?
Two regions with 12 teams competing would eliminate some cupcake games that don’t need to be played and use the power points for play evenly. Some changes would be good. In class 4 region B usually outpoint most in region A. I don’t have a problem with that either. Improvements should always be considered.
I remember when the Region A and Region B champions would meet and power points did not decide the site but alternated each year regardless. That was finally changed. Too bad they eliminated the 1& 2’d cross bracketing. That was a good change that was eliminated.

Last edited:
LoCoSports
@LoCoSports
Football: BREAKING!
Independence will play in the #VHSL Region 3B tournament. No. 8 @IndyHSFootball
will travel to No. 1 Goochland (@GHSFootball) on November 15 at 7pm.
Tigers replace Warren County due to inability to field a team.:rolleyes:
#LoCoFootball
UdbdULJX_400x400.jpg

Weird year for Goochland's schedule. FUMA "double books" (game cancelled). Able to add 10th game against Blue Ridge, Bluestone forfeits back to 9 games played. Now, Warren County cannot field a team and Independence is added to play this week. Geesh....

Weird year for Goochland's schedule. FUMA "double books" (game cancelled). Able to add 10th game against Blue Ridge, Bluestone forfeits back to 9 games played. Now, Warren County cannot field a team and Independence is added to play this week. Geesh....
Gee, a long trip, 2 1/2 hours from Ashburn for a 2-8 team to play. These are the kind of games that don’t really need to be played.

Reactions: RamzFan

Just to give context to your idea here.

Independence to Hopewell- 154 miles
Central Woodstock to York- 211 miles
George Mason to Phoebus- 178 miles
Skyline to Lafayette- 167 miles
Norcom to William Monroe- 180 miles
Tabb to Brentsville- 158 miles
Petersburg to James Monroe- 85 miles
Southampton to Goochland- 101 miles

So just because this year one region appears to be superior then the idea is to force all one to travel over 100 miles?

And that is just talking about this 1 region, there are others throughout the state in other classes that would have the same scenario. Heck, if you read the 5A board it seems like EVERY really good team is in either A or B, so why shouldn't they just put all 32 teams in a bracket and seed?

Goochland has 1 loss, yes to Lafayette. But there is really no evidence that it couldn't have just been a bad game for them just as Lafayette's loss was bad for them.

Reactions: schoolboard
I think that is an idea that I can get behind. Cross bracket for the quarterfinals. Region A #1 host Region B #2, and vice versa. Trip could still be bad, but that's one game. It does eliminate the region championship game, but I still like it.

Just to give context to your idea here.

Independence to Hopewell- 154 miles
Central Woodstock to York- 211 miles
George Mason to Phoebus- 178 miles
Skyline to Lafayette- 167 miles
Norcom to William Monroe- 180 miles
Tabb to Brentsville- 158 miles
Petersburg to James Monroe- 85 miles
Southampton to Goochland- 101 miles

So just because this year one region appears to be superior then the idea is to force all one to travel over 100 miles?

And that is just talking about this 1 region, there are others throughout the state in other classes that would have the same scenario. Heck, if you read the 5A board it seems like EVERY really good team is in either A or B, so why shouldn't they just put all 32 teams in a bracket and seed?

Goochland has 1 loss, yes to Lafayette. But there is really no evidence that it couldn't have just been a bad game for them just as Lafayette's loss was bad for them.
I agree those are some long hauls. Good point. I would like to go back to the regions surviving 1 and 2’s cross bracketing The quarter and semi finals, that was pretty good. I guess I didn’t realize in class 3 some B regions teams are way out. When we were class 4 before the playing up was eliminated most of our games up to the state final were the Battlefield teams, Powhatan, twice Liberty and once Stonebridge. A drive but not bad.

I agree those are some long hauls. Good point. I would like to go back to the regions surviving 1 and 2’s cross bracketing The quarter and semi finals, that was pretty good. I guess I didn’t realize in class 3 some B regions teams are way out. When we were class 4 before the playing up was eliminated most of our games up to the state final were the Battlefield teams, Powhatan, twice Liberty and once Stonebridge. A drive but not bad.

I much rather preferred the East/West where Semifinals cross bracketed. But in the lower classifications it did cause some extreme travel for some teams. Extreme as in DOUBLE some of those trips above. I don't know about the distance. Over 5 hours in a few cases. And that was like 1st round games.

It helps with the larger classes because they are generally in larger population areas, whereas the small schools are all over the state

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT