ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Post 4A Playoff Look

tommythecpa

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 19, 2001
4A West region
In: Woodgrove (9-0), William Byrd (8-1), Amherst County (8-1), Salem (8-1), Dominion (7-2), Millbrook (8-1), George Washington-Danville (7-2)

In with a win: Loudoun Valley (7-2), Pulaski (7-2), Champe (6-3), Heritage (6-3), E.C. Glass (6-3)

Needs Help: Charlottesville (5-4)

The skinny: Twelve teams make the playoffs with the top four seeds receiving a first-round bye.

Woodrove has already clinched a first-round bye and can wrap up the region’s top seed with a win over rival Loudoun Valley on Friday.

Dominion can clinch a first-round bye with a win over Park View (2-7) and a loss by either by Amherst County or Salem.

Champe can clinch its second straight playoff birth win a win over rival Freedom-South Riding. Heritage will make the playoffs with a win over Loudoun County (3-6).

Loudoun Valley can clinch a berth with a win over Woodgrove or a loss by either Charlottesville to Louisa County (8-1) or E.C. Glass to Rustburg (7-2). If the Vikings lose and Charlottesville wins, Loudoun Valley would need: Turner Ashby (5-4) to beat Harrisonburg (6-3) and Strasburg (7-2) to beat William Monroe (5-4). If only one of those games goes the Vikings’ way, they will need two of the following upsets as well: Fluvanna (1-8) to beat Orange County (5-4); Monticello (2-6) to beat Powhatan (7-2); or Western Albemarle (4-5) to beat Albemarle (7-2).

Why would you think they're better than Sherando? No even close IMO.
ATHLETES bro. ATHLETES. I'm not necessarily sold on Sherando. I mean Rivers is good and they have nice young players, but from what I saw in the Fort Hill game, I just don't see them being a threat. I'm no expert by any means.

Last edited:
None of it will matter unless we beat Louisa. Someone over here said if we win it could vault us all the way up to number 8, but I doubt that's true. As the 12, we'd probably play someone like Dominion. I'd love to get another shot at them, we've really changed since that first game. If we DO somehow get the 8 spot, I feel like we'd have a good chance against whoever gets the 9, like GW-Danville, EC Glass, or Loudoun Valley at home. Again, none of this matters if we don't win friday. Hoos, maybe you can tell the Louisa players take it easy friday? :)

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ATHLETES bro. ATHLETES. I'm not necessarily sold Sherando. I mean Rivers is good and they have nice young players, but from what I saw in the Fort Hill game, I just don't see them being a threat. I'm no expert by any means.

Well, are you going to waste your Friday at a loser college basketball game, (a college that has never won a football game), or are you going to spend a glorious night at a high school football game? And, it's going to be cold enough for you to wear your bibs!

Well, are you going to waste your Friday at a loser college basketball game, (a college that has never won a football game), or are you going to spend a glorious night at a high school football game? And, it's going to be cold enough for you to wear your bibs!
;)UHHHHH I guess I'll be in The Hole Friday night my friend! I'll be decked out in some GW gear! I probably won't catch them again unless GW somehow makes the 2nd round as my Rams have a big one next friday night in their regular season opener. It's going to be a good one in Henry County!

None of it will matter unless we beat Louisa. Someone over here said if we win it could vault us all the way up to number 8, but I doubt that's true. As the 12, we'd probably play someone like Dominion. I'd love to get another shot at them, we've really changed since that first game. If we DO somehow get the 8 spot, I feel like we'd have a good chance against whoever gets the 9, like GW-Danville, EC Glass, or Loudoun Valley at home. Again, none of this matters if we don't win friday. Hoos, maybe you can tell the Louisa players take it easy friday? :)
Hahaha, I was the one asking Rakeem's dad the other day to tell him to run a step slower this week. :D

Reactions: blackknight_pride
;)UHHHHH I guess I'll be in The Hole Friday night my friend! I'll be decked out in some GW gear! I probably won't catch them again unless GW somehow makes the 2nd round as my Rams have a big one next friday night in their regular season opener. It's going to be a good one in Henry County!

I would love to be there with you. Making a game at the "Hole" is high on my bucket list. And I have several very good friends in the Martinsville area. Ridge and MVWarrior for starters. So you will forgive me for pulling for MV tomorrow night, I hope?

Of course, I should say, you too are a good friend. Maybe I'll just root for MW or GV?;):confused::eek:

Hahaha, I was the one asking Rakeem's dad the other day to tell him to run a step slower this week. :D

I talked to Durrett today, he's fully healed now too. It'll be nice to have all of our weapons on offense back. Hope we get a packed house tomorrow. I know the student sections gonna be lit cause ill be there :p

I would love to be there with you. Making a game at the "Hole" is high on my bucket list. And I have several very good friends in the Martinsville area. Ridge and MVWarrior for starters. So you will forgive me for pulling for MV tomorrow night, I hope?

Of course, I should say, you too are a good friend. Maybe I'll just root for MW or GV?;):confused::eek:
It'll definitely be a good one. I love it because the kids really don't like one another but they have the ultimate respect for one another. Same as the fans. Old school type of rivalry! They won't fight or trash talk but it'll be a great hostile atmosphere. Wish you and Navy could both be there! I'll keep you updated!

I feel the same way way about Champe and Heritage and Sherando also. But I also feel the same way about GW Danville, I put them in the category with Millbrook, untested. Haven't beat a decent 4A team all season just like Sherando. Harrisonburg Beat Handley by 12 points and doesn't have a signature win all season just like the rest. Charlottesville lost to Orange by 34 points in a three game skid and hasn't beat a good 4A team just like Sherando. Glass the same thing, been tested and lost. Looks like all the teams at the bottom have had problems, and would likely have problems in the playoffs also. IMO

Reactions: Tom Potter
I feel the same way way about Champe and Heritage and Sherando also. But I also feel the same way about GW Danville, I put them in the category with Millbrook, untested. Haven't beat a decent 4A team all season just like Sherando. Harrisonburg Beat Handley by 12 points and doesn't have a signature win all season just like the rest. Charlottesville lost to Orange by 34 points in a three game skid and hasn't beat a good 4A team just like Sherando. Glass the same thing, been tested and lost. Looks like all the teams at the bottom have had problems, and would likely have problems in the playoffs also. IMO
I don't see C'ville being anywhere close (sorry). Those "athletes" having been much for providing too many victories...especially over any teams that are rated. I've seen C'ville and Sherando play a couple times over the past few years...no comparison. Sherando easily out-classes C'ville.

Reactions: OCBoy
My point is that Charlottesville will present serious match-up problems despite their record. They have speed. May be 5-4, but playoffs is a different animal.They've had nagging injuries all year, which I feel they've underachieved, but playoffs is all about match-ups. That speed C-ville has is scary. Now whether they can close out a game against a team like Woodgrove or Byrd out is another thing, but they have the tools to take down one of those teams based off their speed and match-ups when healthy. Hoos is my boy and I know he wants his Lions to go far as possible (so do I: I owe him a trip to the Jungle), but I want to see Charlottesville win Friday so they can get in. Louisa already has a spot locked up so I don't feel bad about saying that lol! It's a very tall task because I feel like Job Whalen is going to have a big game and Louisa is ready to show the state that they are the real deal.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I don't see C'ville being anywhere close (sorry). Those "athletes" having been much for providing too many victories...especially over any teams that are rated. I've seen C'ville and Sherando play a couple times over the past few years...no comparison. Sherando easily out-classes C'ville.
Of course if we're talking about a couple of years ago, but I'm speaking on this year (not trying to be a smarta$$ at all). I just don't see it THIS year. Not trying to be disrespectful to any Sherando posters.

Of course if we're talking about a couple of years ago, but I'm speaking on this year (not trying to be a smarta$$ at all). I just don't see it THIS year. Not trying to be disrespectful to any Sherando posters.
Didn't think you were being disrespectful at all. I was just taking note that there is a possibility of many teams getting in the playoffs as being not really competitive in the playoffs. Statements will be made tomorrow night on several fields. Sherando , Charlottesville , and several other teams can make statements they belong and could do damage , whether they make it in the playoffs or not. Hoos is my boy also! :D Louisa will make us proud tomorrow night!

Didn't think you were being disrespectful at all. I was just taking note that there is a possibility of many teams getting in the playoffs as being not really competitive in the playoffs. Statements will be made tomorrow night on several fields. Sherando , Charlottesville , and several other teams can make statements they belong and could do damage , whether they make it in the playoffs or not. Hoos is my boy also! :D Louisa will make us proud tomorrow night!
I agree, though I don't think this is the strongest field. Last year was so much stronger with Sherando, GW, Champe, JF, and of course the state champion Salem Spartans. The only current team out west I see competing with any of these teams is Amherst. Last year it was stacked with talent but this year it's rather ehhhhh.

Reactions: hamspear
C'ville got a little revenge on Louisa in 2012, can y'all just wait one more year?! I wouldn't care much if we lose if a first round home game wasn't on the line.

We're returning everyone but the older Folley and Louderback...but come on we got to make the playoffs if we can. I know 5-5 is way better then 3-7 from last year, but 6-4 and the playoffs would be that much sweeter.

Excited to see all these matchups play out.
Sherando Millbrook looking more interesting since both teams will have key players back (Kier, Entsminger)

Think Rakeem Davis is much like TJ Washington for Sherando. Comparable speed.

Reactions: jakeyb_5
@cville im not looking forward to facing your 250 runningback for a couple more years.. also what r yalls thoughts on hburg?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT