ADVERTISEMENT

What IF Region 4C had an 8 team bracket ...

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
I like this a lot better than a 6 team bracket with teams getting byes ... it's playoff time ... everyone should be playing IMHO ...

#8 Heritage (7-3) @ #1 Millbrook (9-1)
#5 Dominion (7-3) @ #4 Sherando (8-2)

#7 Woodgrove (6-4) @ #2 Liberty (8-2)
#6 Loudoun County (7-3) @ #3 Kettle Run (8-2)

I like this a lot better than a 6 team bracket with teams getting byes ... it's playoff time ... everyone should be playing IMHO ...

#8 Heritage (7-3) @ #1 Millbrook (9-1)
#5 Dominion (7-3) @ #4 Sherando (8-2)

#7 Woodgrove (6-4) @ #2 Liberty (8-2)
#6 Loudoun County (7-3) @ #3 Kettle Run (8-2)
How it should be , nobody should get a first round bye.

Yea let every team in lol...and don't forget to give everyone a participation trophy too while you are at it

I agree fully. That's a lot better bracket than many Regions.

I wish somebody from C could explain what the heck they had in mind when they chose this format.

I've already stated what I think went on, but to sum it up in three words, Ego, Politics, Power.

Reduce the brackets to 4. See how many this year 5-8 get to the regional final. What can KF get from playing 2-8 Jamestown except an unfortunate key injury. At 4, the regular season becomes very important.

Reduce the brackets to 4. See how many this year 5-8 get to the regional final. What can KF get from playing 2-8 Jamestown except an unfortunate key injury. At 4, the regular season becomes very important.
So District Championships mean nothing? I believe 4B is composed of 5 districts.

I don't suspect starters will be in very long. Think we'll try to get up big quick and put in the young guys. A lot of the younger JV guys are very talented, just stuck behind some really good upperclassmen.

I agree with you though. The benefit is not worth the risk.

Was replying to the guy that said let em all in not you
The discussion is about 4c being the
only Class 4 region with 6 teams so the top two get a bye 1st round. If you paid attention to Class 4, you would know that. Good luck to your Giles Spartans!

Last edited:
So District Championships mean nothing? I believe 4B is composed of 5 districts.
Sorry, the day of the importance of "District Champions" in football have passed. Too much difference in the size of schools in most districts for it to have any validity in the playoffs.

As an example, the Central District has three Class 3, one Class 4, two Class 5, and two Class 6 schools.
Where is the value of awarding this District's champion any preference in making the playoffs? Admittedly, it once was. But, not any longer.

Reactions: falcettik
Sorry, the day of the importance of "District Champions" in football have passed. Too much difference in the size of schools in most districts for it to have any validity in the playoffs.

As an example, the Central District has three Class 3, one Class 4, two Class 5, and two Class 6 schools.
Where is the value of awarding this District's champion any preference in making the playoffs? Admittedly, it once was. But, not any longer.
So if Central was down, or even, and everyone beat up on each other w/o then no one makes the playoffs in a 4 team playoff scenario?

The discussion is about 4c being the
only Class 4 region with 6 teams so the top two get a bye 1st round. If you paid attention to Class 4, you would know that. Good luck to your Giles Spartans!

My team is D2 so frankly I don't care that much about D4...playoff system is stupid as hell when 0-10 teams make playoffs in any division

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan

Thats different.. Region C would have 8 quality teams in it.

Reactions: cb2018
The main question is would you rather have some deserving teams at home or some undeserving teams in the play-off's? Let's examine the consequences of each:
4-6 teams in P.O.: some very deserving, very quality teams only get to play 10 games.
8 or more teams: some high school kids, most likely playing organized football for the last time, get to strap on the pads one extra time. Is that really so bad?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The main question is would you rather have some deserving teams at home or some undeserving teams in the play-off's? Let's examine the consequences of each:
4-6 teams in P.O.: some very deserving, very quality teams only get to play 10 games.
8 or more teams: some high school kids, most likely playing organized football for the last time, get to strap on the pads one extra time. Is that really so bad?
EXACTLY! How many kids and coaches will ever say, "I wish we had never made the playoffs"?

Everybody wants to apply a college or NFL mentality to high school football. It's not, and isn't designed to be. It's high school athletic activity, for a bunch of, (hopefully), maturing kids. Still a time in their life to have fun and learn along the way.

What is the percent of high school football players that ever play another down of organized football? What, something like 5%? Let em make some memories. Life and adulthood will clobber them soon enough.

EXACTLY! How many kids and coaches will ever say, "I wish we had never made the playoffs"?

Everybody wants to apply a college or NFL mentality to high school football. It's not, and isn't designed to be. It's high school athletic activity, for a bunch of, (hopefully), maturing kids. Still a time in their life to have fun and learn along the way.

What is the percent of high school football players that ever play another down of organized football? What, something like 5%? Let em make some memories. Life and adulthood will clobber them soon enough.
Agree to a point. I’d like to see as many deserving teams get a chance to participate in the playoffs as is feasible. But, it should be even across all regions in the Class. And, you have to ask the question: how many games should HS kids be playing in a given season? IMO, a possible 15 games is too many.

Agree to a point. I’d like to see as many deserving teams get a chance to participate in the playoffs as is feasible. But, it should be even across all regions in the Class. And, you have to ask the question: how many games should HS kids be playing in a given season? IMO, a possible 15 games is too many.
I agree to a point. I would rather have the schools and regions keep the autonomy that VHSL permits, rather than "big brother" dictating everything. It a tough trade off.

Remember, only two teams per Class play 15 games. And only four teams play 14. So I can live with the format I guess.

A four team region is way too few. Teams in weak districts would play a sissy ood schedule and go 10-0 while teams in a stronger district would lose a few and be out. Eight is perfect. You dont eliminate a team who could be a contender.

The 6 team bracket is contradictory to the VHSL philosophy of equitable competition.
The C champ will play one less game entering the semis and possibly the final.

Look at region a,b, and d. Do you think lafayette, kings fork, Blacksburg, gw, monacan and dinwiddie would have an unfair advantage if they received a bye? I know it must suck for the 3rd and fourth seeds in c.

A four team region is way too few. Teams in weak districts would play a sissy ood schedule and go 10-0 while teams in a stronger district would lose a few and be out. Eight is perfect. You dont eliminate a team who could be a contender.

The 6 team bracket is contradictory to the VHSL philosophy of equitable competition.
The C champ will play one less game entering the semis and possibly the final.

Look at region a,b, and d. Do you think lafayette, kings fork, Blacksburg, gw, monacan and dinwiddie would have an unfair advantage if they received a bye? I know it must suck for the 3rd and fourth seeds in c.

It sucks for Sherando especially. Assuming here that they win, it means that they'll have to play the same team again in only three weeks, when that team has two full weeks to prepare without having to play.

Exactly @Shruikan. Complain to your AD's and region reps they made the decision. Dont be mistaken Its not a financial thing. More games equal more money in the early rounds. The West did the same thing in 2015 and 2016 while the East did not. Since region d is taking 8 one would assume the powers to be in region c believe its a competative advantage. There is no other justification for it when the schools are close in proximity in region c.

Reactions: Lnacerhoo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT