ADVERTISEMENT

Where to eat…, again!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Once again, I am reaching out to the VaPreps brain trust for advice. Dinwiddie travels to North Stafford this coming Friday. I am looking for suggestions for an appropriate place to eat near the school. As always, my preference is something locally owned so we can better support the local community. I prefer nothing fancy, with reliably quick service.

Thank you and your advice is appreciated.

Since I just learned that we will be playing at Brooke Point because of field renovations at N Stafford, you may want to factor in to your suggestions.

540 suggested Hot Chickn Kitchen. I love that name. Might just have to try this one.

Any opinions on Sam’s Pizza and Subs or the Mason-Dixon Cafe?

Mason-Dixon is excellent, definitely pick over Sam’s (which actually is okay). Fatty’s Tap House on Garrisonville Road is really good and so El Charro Grande near intersection of Route 1 and Garrisonville Road. Don’t know Hot Chkn Kitchen but name intrigues me and will have to try! Allow time for traffic if you aren’t familiar with area! NS and Commonwealth don’t seem to be as strong this year except Mountain View and maybe Massaponnax.

Mason-Dixon is excellent, definitely pick over Sam’s (which actually is okay). Fatty’s Tap House on Garrisonville Road is really good and so El Charro Grande near intersection of Route 1 and Garrisonville Road. Don’t know Hot Chkn Kitchen but name intrigues me and will have to try! Allow time for traffic if you aren’t familiar with area! NS and Commonwealth don’t seem to be as strong this year except Mountain View and maybe Massaponnax.
Mason -Dixon place looks like a good place for a bunch of football folks to gather and have a laugh or two, and a good meal.
5:00 ish on Friday. All are invited. It’s just a Dutch Treat gathering of whomever wants to grab a nearby table. Old Indian and 540 Athletes, I hope you will try to stop by and introduce yourself. We love meeting the fans of other teams.

Reactions: 540 Athletes
DP, when you retire you need to write a book about Stadiums and Where to Eat before the game. For example you could tell people where you ate in Rome before you watched the Gladiators at The original Colosseum. 🤣
Oh and I forgot to say Bleeding Navy could assist with the directions he used to get the chariot to the big event.

Good idea, except I’m now sightless, so writing is very difficult for me. You see, Bleeding Navy’s toga fell off one day, and it destroyed my retinas, (and did irreparable mental and emotional damage).
Oh and I forgot to say Bleeding Navy could assist with the directions he used to get the chariot to the big event.
DP, when you retire you need to write a book about Stadiums and Where to Eat before the game. For example you could tell people where you ate in Rome before you watched the Gladiators at The original Colosseum. 🤣

Since I just learned that we will be playing at Brooke Point because of field renovations at N Stafford, you may want to factor in to your suggestions.

540 suggested Hot Chickn Kitchen. I love that name. Might just have to try this one.

Any opinions on Sam’s Pizza and Subs or the Mason-Dixon Cafe?
Sam's USED to be the best place for steak and cheese in the area, but they have regressed. I find their cheesesteaks to be dry these days and have more toppings than substance a la Jimmy John's. It used to not be that way. And for that, I don't recommend Sam's. I've never been to Mason-Dixon, but it can't be any worse.

I would also recommend you stop by Carl's Ice Cream in Fredericksburg, It's just off of Route 1 not too far south from Brooke Point but only after you eat a full meal on the way up to have ice cream as the dessert.

Once again, you guys steered us right. Mason-Dixon was terrific.

For those that have not been there, they feature some really wild, unusual combinations to the way they can prepare simple foods like hot dogs and hamburgers. And my God, I was stuffed just reading the menu. WOW!

As far as actual proportions? Let me explain it this way, my brother in law, (known in foot all circles as “first down”, is a big guy and can eat like two big guys. Well, “first down” met his match, he could not eat everything that he had ordered. I can’t remember that ever happening before.

The atmosphere was light and fun, the service was great, and as mentioned, the food was excellent. I have every reason to recommend the place and I certainly would not hesitate to return.

What helped to make our supper even more enjoyable was that we had the pleasure of the company of Byron Jones, writer for Virginia Preps. Byron is a great guy and a walking encyclopedia of football knowledge. We always run the risk of being late to the game because we all love to talk football so much that we can easily loose track of time. Thank you for joining us, my friend.

Thanks again gang for all of the great suggestions.

Last edited:
Man y’all laid a beat down on my alma mater! We were hearing about that across the county at our Mountain View game.
NS is down some this year, and Dinwiddie has a good team that is playing well, so it was just fate. I’m sure it will swing the other way in the next couple of years.

What took place was that the Dinwiddie run defense, which has improved each week, basically shut down the NS run game. When that happened, the Dinwiddie defense could commit to a more aggressive pass rush. This caused the NS QB to have precious little time to let longer pass patterns develop. Consequently, the only option open to NS was short, quick passes. And Dinwiddie knew this and were sitting on these plays.

Dinwiddie‘s offense is as good as I’ve ever seen it. Fast, explosive, a ton of different weapons. It will take a strong, veteran defense to slow Dinwiddie down. And they are out there. So far though, Dinwiddie has been able to take advantage of what was available and make good plays.

Its an exciting season so far, but it’s only just beginning, with lots of hard work and preparation ahead for the Generals.

Reactions: hokies-n-wildcats
One more comment about last night. My good friend Bleeding Navy was planning on traveling with us to North Stafford. Sadly, he had to cancel because of his need to attend to the care of his aging parents. Additionally, there was an unexpected and tragic loss to a member of the agency that he works for Thursday night.

So I ask everyone to keep Bleeding Navy and his parents in your thoughts and prayers, as I know he truly appreciates your support.

One more comment about last night. My good friend Bleeding Navy was planning on traveling with us to North Stafford. Sadly, he had to cancel because of his need to attend to the care of his aging parents. Additionally, there was an unexpected and tragic loss to a member of the agency that he works for Thursday night.

So I ask everyone to keep Bleeding Navy and his parents in your thoughts and prayers, as I know he truly appreciates your support.
I have great empathy for Bleeding Navy and his parents and will have good thoughts and prayers for them. My elderly mom is in hospice care, been a real struggle since April so I feel their pain.

Dinwiddie - if you guys ever come back to Fredericksburg to play James Monroe or anyone else - the original Mason-Dixon is in Princess Anne Street and right by Carl’s Ice Cream - great duo to enjoy. Another good one is the Colonial Tavern also known as the Irish Brigade, just a few blocks down from Maury Stadium.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I have great empathy for Bleeding Navy and his parents and will have good thoughts and prayers for them. My elderly mom is in hospice care, been a real struggle since April so I feel their pain.

Dinwiddie - if you guys ever come back to Fredericksburg to play James Monroe or anyone else - the original Mason-Dixon is in Princess Anne Street and right by Carl’s Ice Cream - great duo to enjoy. Another good one is the Colonial Tavern also known as the Irish Brigade, just a few blocks down from Maury Stadium.
Thank you sir. And our prayers are with you as you do all that you can to make your mom’s last days as good as they can be.

I would love it if we renewed our arrangement with JM. I loved going to Maury. I love old stadiums. But, I will say, a little better bleachers on the visitors side would be nice.

I rarely get up your way, but I do have employees that travel up ther fairly often. I’ll make them aware of the spots that you mentioned. Thank you so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT