ADVERTISEMENT

Will Region C take over C4?

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Just putting the question out there. Since reallignment each region has won at least one championship. Last year's champion Woodgrove moves up, but Tuscarora and Broad Run move down. How will this affect C4?

Also Hampton moves down in Region A. They are the most successful team in the state. (Even if that title success was a while ago)

Region B has been top heavy the last few years. Who will emerge from the gauntlet in this region?

Region D is probably the strongest region top to bottom. Will EC Glass return to glory?

Before reallignment, going back to '04, Salem and Amherst were the teams to beat. From '08-'12 D4 was dominated by the Loudoun Co schools. Since reallignment there has been an extreme competition upgrade. So do you think with the new schools, one region will again dominate, or will the competitive balance continue?

Reactions: freeatlast2013
It's unquestionably the hardest region to make the playoffs in, especially considering only 6 teams make it out of 15. Broad Run and Tuscarora only had one losing season between them while they were in Class 5 (5-6 Tuscarora, 2016).

Broad Run finished their recent 5A tenure at 69-27 (.719). Tuscarora ended up at 61-18 (.722). Neither of them won a championship but Tuscarora came close in 2014 (Lost to L.C. Byrd 22-19 in the 5A championship) and in 2017 (lost to Highland Springs 40-27 in the 5A championship). The Huskies also had a semifinals appearance in 2015. Broad Run hasn't had as much success as Tuscarora, but they've made it to at least the second round of the playoffs each of the last six years.

Personally I don't think there's a ton of difference between the Class 4 and Class 5 teams outside of the top three or so of Class 5. Expect Broad Run or Tuscrarora to win Region C this year given that the better teams from last year have either moved up or will be down from last year (Woodgrove, Kettle Run, and Sherando), but I don't see them dominating the whole state like Briar Woods and Broad Run did several years ago. Salem will be very good over the next few years, Louisa has been great recently, Amherst could see a comeback, and Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor almost always field stellar squads. Any of those teams could play with a good Broad Run or Tuscarora, and there are others I haven't named that could as well.

As for the rest of Region C, I think at least two teams that made the playoffs last year will be left out this year due to the playoffs capping at 6 instead of 8 like the other regions (unless that has changed over the offseason). Kettle Run, Sherando, Millbrook, and Loudoun County. All of those teams should have winning records this year, but I doubt all of them make it. With addition of the two former Class 5 teams and a couple teams showing great improvement over the season last year (Handley and Liberty come to mind), I just think something has to give.

I think Broad Run and Tuscarora have to be considered favorites since they're coming from 5, but who knows. I think C will be very competitive, though, and will have talent from top to bottom. I don't know that Sherando or Kettle Run will be down that dramatically, though. Sherando is Sherando, so they're always going to be extremely well-coached and have talent. I think that Kettle Run vs Sherando is turning into a nice little rivalry (although I don't know that you can call it a rivalry since Sherando has won every time) in the last couple years. That playoff game was a really good game (I think playing at Shenandoah really helped with the atmosphere). Kettle Run's defense last year was impressive, and a lot of those players graduated. That being said, their offensive and defensive lines might open eyes this year. They return 3/5, and all 5 are big. If they can find a few athletes and be close to what they were on defense last year, they may not be far from last year. The two games that will show their true colors are vs Louisa and Sherando (though Sherando is at the end of the year). A win against either of those would be impressive.

I don't know that Handley or Liberty will be that good, though it's always possible. Both draw from a good area, so anything can happen. Liberty has a new head coach, so that always comes with questions (though I think he will do a good job). Handley graduated a lot of their big players, so the question is if the coaching staff can develop the young kids. Really, aside from a couple teams, Region C should be a really competitive group.

Also, I think the region expanded to 8 teams into the playoffs this year since there are 2 more teams than last year (add Broad Run, Tuscarora, and Culpeper, subtract Woodgrove). Don't quote me on that, but I know that everyone wanted the region to take more for the next cycle.

You will know all you need to know about 2019 Tuscarora after the first three games:
Broad Run (Loss last year in a super weird game due to weather). TC Williams (Win in a super weird game due to weather). Woodgrove (Loss was the first to that team ever).

Broad Run returns it’s entire offense which includes three legit FBS/FCS scholarship guys.

TC Williams is LOADED with some of the most freakish athletes you have ever seen. I am not lying about this.

Woodgrove is a defending state champ.

Aside from Malik Newton, who does Lake Taylor have coming back?
Lake Taylor has 7 returning Defensive and 7 returning Starters on Offensive To Mention a few
1st Team All State LB and TE Ikeem Wright
1st TeamAll State RB &LB Malik Newton
1st Team Eastern Region OL Patrick McEachin
Dual Threat QB Jeff Foster over 1,000 run and pass
Isaiah Thompson OL
NT /OL Tyrique Tucker
OLB Dallas Spruill
Returning Secondary Pierre Royster, Rayln Manley, Kelveon Whitmore

Reactions: freeatlast2013
I don’t think it’s ever a matter of any one region dominating. I think it’s just been demonstrated that every area of the state is capable of producing excellent, championship-level teams. Since 2013, almost every place in the state that has a number of 4A/Class 4 schools has produced at least one champion: the Richmond area (if my Dinwiddie friends will allow that reference), Tidewater, the Roanoke and New River valleys, and Loudoun County. Only the northwest corner, with the cluster of schools around Winchester, has failed to tally.

Any region in Class 4 is capable of producing a champion in any given year. I think it’s unlikely any one region will ever have a run of three or four different schools winning championships.

With the additions on Broad Run and Tuscarora in C, we now have a totally complete class 4. This basically guarantees that in every region in class 4 will have at least 2 very good teams even on a down year.

That is the floor.... The ceiling now is massively high. We could have 4 superior teams in all 4 regions on a great year.

I think LT vs Louisa is my east championship and my west is Broad Run over Glass. LT gets redemption.

Louisa has 3-4 really good athletes returning even with no surprises... which I am sure they will have a few.

LT - Self explanatory

Bigger questions are how will Dinwiddie, Monacan, Kings Fork, Hampton and Deep Creek look?

EV - will there be any drop off?

I would assume Salem will be at least as good as last year - unless there is a big let down with the coaching change.

Glass and Blacksburg should be players too.

I think there are several factors in this comparison. You can go back before realignment and see trends and other factors. There is not one factor that fits but several at one time. For instance, there is probably not a lot of difference between the top schools in division 4 and 5. Broad Run won two titles in 08 and 09 in division 4 and Briar Woods in 2010,11,and 12. Neither team has won in division 5.This was mainly bacause of super teams in Phoebus, L.C. Byrd and now Highland Springs. These teams had overwhelming talent. Broad Run and Tuscarora now have been consistent winners. They will definitely be in the mix. Woodgrove has been very good and finally broke through but I do not think anybody picked them They just played the best at the right time. Teams like Monacan, if they continue to be consistent,could win some championships. You will basically see the same teams with one or two breaking through at times. E.C.Glass comes to mind or Blacksburg if they continue to be consistent. Another good example. Salem won three in a row and were very good in the playoffs but talent wise , at the top tier there were a handful of teams that could have knocked them off. They played the best at the right time and were consistent every year even when they did not win it all. I know nothing of Hampton but I do not think they are as dominant as they once were because they were once a super team, somehow getting a lot of talent at one location., not unlike Highland springs is doing now.

Reactions: falcettik
I think there are several factors in this comparison. You can go back before realignment and see trends and other factors. There is not one factor that fits but several at one time. For instance, there is probably not a lot of difference between the top schools in division 4 and 5. Broad Run won two titles in 08 and 09 in division 4 and Briar Woods in 2010,11,and 12. Neither team has won in division 5.This was mainly bacause of super teams in Phoebus, L.C. Byrd and now Highland Springs. These teams had overwhelming talent. Broad Run and Tuscarora now have been consistent winners. They will definitely be in the mix. Woodgrove has been very good and finally broke through but I do not think anybody picked them They just played the best at the right time. Teams like Monacan, if they continue to be consistent,could win some championships. You will basically see the same teams with one or two breaking through at times. E.C.Glass comes to mind or Blacksburg if they continue to be consistent. Another good example. Salem won three in a row and were very good in the playoffs but talent wise , at the top tier there were a handful of teams that could have knocked them off. They played the best at the right time and were consistent every year even when they did not win it all. I know nothing of Hampton but I do not think they are as dominant as they once were because they were once a super team, somehow getting a lot of talent at one location., not unlike Highland springs is doing now.

Some good points. However, one minor correction - Phoebus was never a roadblock in 5A for Broad Run or Briar Woods, because Phoebus dropped to 4A in 2013, then 3A a couple of years later.

Broad Run will be the class of Region C. One of the problems in Region C is that none or few Dulles teams will play outside district during the regular season, makes it hard to measure strength of schedule. They don’t have to get games outside of district because there are so many teams around them. My preseason Top 5 out of Region C would be as of now . 1. Broad Run 2. Sherando 3. Tuscarora 4. Kettle Run. 5. Millbrook

Reactions: Shruikan
Broad Run will be the class of Region C. One of the problems in Region C is that none or few Dulles teams will play outside district during the regular season, makes it hard to measure strength of schedule. They don’t have to get games outside of district because there are so many teams around them. My preseason Top 5 out of Region C would be as of now . 1. Broad Run 2. Sherando 3. Tuscarora 4. Kettle Run. 5. Millbrook

Welcome to the forum. :)

Reactions: Scalvinscaliwag
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT