ADVERTISEMENT

Will someone please start writing about games this Saturday

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Too much junk on here. Time to start comparing Salem offense to Sherando defense and vice versa. Also the same for Louisa and Lafayette. Please can someone please save this board from these silly threads.

Maybe the problem for Lafayette/Louisa is the total unfamiliarity with each other and no common opponents. I know next to nothing about Louisa’s defense or offensive schemes. I don’t know any of their stats / team or individual.
For Lafayette it is the wing T with a set back and usually one in motion. Off that they sweep, do a dive and a counter to the side the motion comes from. The QB is more active to run now than all season. They will throw in each game a reverse or two and a half back option pass. They will go on 4 th down very often. They use the Qb sneak often and it has worked well. The center has a real attitude! They use multiple RB’s shuttling them in on every play, no one gets tired. On defense Burden on the DE is a Navy Recruit and is on the QB all day. On the D line is also a jr.- Washington who at 6 4 and 285 is tough. The LB’s are as active a group on the line as you will see constantly looking like multiple blitzes from all angles. #2- Jack Erwin at LB is one of the best in Region A with #21 Canady also very active. The DB’s are new this year, looked shaky against Deep Creek and completely different against KF, an even better pass offense.
The Qb threw for a little over a 1,000 yards, I don’t think any one back was over a 1,000 as they use about 5-6 backs all the time.

Info on Louisa?

When three of the remaining teams are teams the majority of actual posters on here don't give a hoot about, you'll have crickets.

Reactions: Lafayette
Ramsey for Salem is a MAN at the running back position. Could very well be one of the most under rated backs in the state IMO.

Reactions: Salemgal
When three of the remaining teams are teams the majority of actual posters on here don't give a hoot about, you'll have crickets.

Well, I think it would be hard to find a team outside of Dinwiddie with more posters than the 4 left. Multiple from each school, of course dominated by Salem. There is your buddy ham and a few from there, multiple of you guys from Louisa, and a few from Lafayette.

I may make the trip to Louisa since my sister lives there. They should have had a home game last Friday since I was already there for Thanksgiving. I am blaming YOU

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Salem runs the I. Ramsey 6 0 211 at tailback. Hale is the fullback 6 1 227. They love the off tackle power and also use quick traps. They run a devastating pitch sweep to Ramsey that has been very difficult to stop. The Spartans love play action passing. They have a number of excellent receivers led by two time first team all State Viante Tucker. Defensively the Spartans have improved as the season has progressed. Defensive backs have really gotten better. One of the real strengths of the Spartans is their kicking game. Craft kicking almost all kickoffs into or out of the end zone. Big big leg with 50 yard range on field goals. Salem has made big strides since the first half of the season when they lost a close game to Dinwiddie and got blown out at Blacksburg. The quarterback Gladden has really improved and has been throwing the ball very well. His improvement has had a lot to with Salem's progress. Now, some may ask have they become as good as the last two State Championship teams? No, their not as strong overall, but they are still playoff tested and very very dangerous.

Salem is trying to get to their 4th State Championship game in a row and their 12th since 1986. This is the sixth year in a row that Salem has been in the final four. The Spartans expect a tough, hard nosed, physical team from Sherando Saturday. Spartan fans remember well the last meeting at Sherando five years ago when Sherando defeated the Spartans 7-0. Salem was impressed with their defense and toughness and expect the same this Saturday.

Louisa preview

Offensively, the Lions are led by senior QB Malik Bell, senior workhorse RB Job Whalen (pronounced Jobe), senior RB/FB/TE Raquan Jones (pronounced Ray-Kwon), and about 5 other weapons who can go off at anytime. Defensively, they are led by junior linebacker Brandon Smith and linebacker Raquan Jones, senior defensive ends Tony Thurston and Devin Jackson-McGhee, and corner/outside linebacker Job Whalen.

Malik Bell (6' 1" 225 lbs and squats 500 lbs) is a fullback turned QB. It has taken some time, but he has developed into quite the formidable dual threat QB. He weighed 260 lbs as QB last season. He has rushed for around 1482 yards, passed for over 800, and has 36 total touchdowns through 13 games. He sat out the Chancellor game completely.

Job Whalen (5' 10" 205 lbs) has rushed for about 1186 yards and 18 touchdowns, and is considered the heart and soul of the team. Great kid that you just can't help but rally behind.

Raquan Jones (6' 1" 230 lbs) hasn't gotten as many carries as he would like this season, but that kid just puts in work. He will do his thing anywhere you put him, and literally has, down to punting. He has developed nicely at the linebacker spot, and is that glue/utility guy every team wants. He has 15 total touchdowns.

Brandon Smith (6' 5" 220 lbs) is listed at #16 in the nation in ESPN's class of 2019 rankings. He currently holds 22 offers, including Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Oregon, and the majority of other ACC and SEC schools. He's being recruited as an outside linebacker and defensive end. He has also played multiple positions. Against Monacan, he had 17 tackles, 5 TFL and 2 sacks. Against Dinwiddie, he had 8 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack, and 1 forced fumble.

Sophomore Jarett Hunter (5' 9" 160 lbs) has been another do-it-all guy. He has spelled Whalen at RB, Bell at QB, and plays receiver and corner. It can be argued that he's the best athlete on the team.

The Lions are known for their vaunted grind-it-out single wing offense, but are very explosive from their multiple misdirection-based pistol sets. They are very versatile offensively, as they showed against Dinwiddie. They can score a bunch of points in a hurry, and then go to the single wing and kill a whole quarter's worth of clock. They scored 28 unanswered points against Monacan, and scored 31 points in the first half against Dinwiddie. Defensively, they throw multiple looks at you, and will keep you guessing with what they do as well. The defense is coached by first-year defensive coordinator Mike Clements, who was a standout linebacker on the 2006 team.

Last edited:
Well, I think it would be hard to find a team outside of Dinwiddie with more posters than the 4 left. Multiple from each school, of course dominated by Salem. There is your buddy ham and a few from there, multiple of you guys from Louisa, and a few from Lafayette.

I may make the trip to Louisa since my sister lives there. They should have had a home game last Friday since I was already there for Thanksgiving. I am blaming YOU
Ha, don't blame me! Dinwiddie is a pretty pleasant and straightforward 1.5 hour drive from here, and the atmosphere was great.

Salem can really eat the clock up which cuts down on the usual number of possessions.

It will be interesting to see if Lafayette takes the same strategy against Louisa as they did with KF.

run 62 offensive plays and ball control.. keep the ball away from Louisa who has a similar formula

Reactions: gwb16
run 62 offensive plays and ball control.. keep the ball away from Louisa who has a similar formula
The target each game is 60 offensive plays. If they reach that goal the probability of winning is high. Of course it took a 4 for 4 fourth down down conversions to accomplish that against KF. Lafayette hates to punt. Don’t know how Louisa’s D compared to KF’s D.

The target each game is 60 offensive plays. If they reach that goal the probability of winning is high. Of course it took a 4 for 4 fourth down down conversions to accomplish that against KF. Lafayette hates to punt. Don’t know how Louisa’s D compared to KF’s D.

Well if that is the case it might boil down to who has more firepower. If one team gets a lead of 2 scores then that could do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT