ADVERTISEMENT

William Byrd

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
I know they are respected on here but there are legit no Terrier fans on here so I thought I'd start a thread on them. They are going to be REALLY GOOD next year. They're going to have to replace their QB Reese Watson, but come on, they have freaking LARRY BASHAM back. Also, two key defensive players such as Taylor Johnson and Logan Taylor are back. This is the defense that held Staunton River to SIX POINTS. Byrd was on the verge of beating state-champion Salem twice this year. Just thought I'd make a thread about them, so y'all don't forget that quiet powerhouse down in Vinton, Va.

Very good team. Easily one of the top five in 4a. Salem does not play them next year in regular season. They could easily go 10-0 and get a great seed. One of the few teams in Roanoke Valley that never get intimidated by Salem. Very physical football team, but still need some more team speed

Reactions: blackknight_pride
It was interesting how it went from Ramsey's team to Beckley, Fox, and Tucker's team after Ramsey's departure. Whole team elevated their game.

I heard he plans to be in Salem, and wants to play soccer in the spring. I hope we all show him our support. Everybody deserves second chances. Half of us have probably done worse. If you read this D'angelo, I'm pulling for you. Hope to see you on the field next fall.

Last edited:
I heard he plans to be in Salem, and wants to play soccer in the spring. This from someone who spoke directly to him. I hope we all show him our support. Everybody deserves second chances. Half of us have probably done worse. If you read this D'angelo, I'm pulling for you. Hope to see you on the field next fall.
I would also love to see that. Making amends and getting a second chance can be a huge character builder. I have seen people in similar situations (Myself included when I was younger) become much better people for going through something like this.

I know they are respected on here but there are legit no Terrier fans on here so I thought I'd start a thread on them. They are going to be REALLY GOOD next year. They're going to have to replace their QB Reese Watson, but come on, they have freaking LARRY BASHAM back. Also, two key defensive players such as Taylor Johnson and Logan Taylor are back. This is the defense that held Staunton River to SIX POINTS. Byrd was on the verge of beating state-champion Salem twice this year. Just thought I'd make a thread about them, so y'all don't forget that quiet powerhouse down in Vinton, Va.

I really don't see Byrd being all that close to the level at which they played this year. Basham will be back, true. However, the loss of the two very talented defensive ends - Kasey and Williams? - both of whom also played on the O-line, will hit the Terriers very hard. The qb Watson will also be gone, and against Salem-level opponents, he was the only other threat for Byrd on offense. Watson and Basham worked especially well in tandem. Unless the Terriers come up with some as yet-unknown impact skill players, and a couple of good lineman, it's going to be tough going against playoff-caliber defenses.

Still, having Basham is worth something, as is having an experienced hand like Highfill at the helm. I think WB will still probably finish at least 7-3 in the regular season, so any dropoff won't be precipitous. And of course, next year's playoff format is yet to be determined. Let's put it this way: if the format of the past four years were still being implemented, I think a second consecutive top four seed would be highly unlikely. And that's coming from someone who sang the praises of this year's Byrd team beginning last December. I just don't see the 2017 Terriers becoming the legit top six, or even top four in 4A team that the 2016 Terriers were.

This might just be an old Salem fan being cranky, but in my opinion, it's a real stretch to say that Byrd was on the verge of beating Salem this year. Either time, let alone twice. Salem more or less controlled play in both games. Yes, the first game went to OT, but Salem never lost the initiative, as the Spartans had the advantage of going on offense after having already held Byrd to a field goal. The game in September was made much closer by Spartan mistakes that would be ironed out. The playoff game turned on the kind of flukish play - a strip-and-score - that Salem doesn't give up too often. Don't get me wrong - Byrd definitely played Salem very tough both times. But having attended both, I was never seriously worried about Salem losing either one. Well, at least not after the coin flip to start the OT. ;-)

Last edited:
If Deangelo Ramsey can make amends and offer sincere apologies for his actions, I think he merits a second chance.

Will the youngest Ramsey brother be affected by what happens with Deangelo? What year will he be next year?

If Deangelo Ramsey can make amends and offer sincere apologies for his actions, I think he merits a second chance.

Will the youngest Ramsey brother be affected by what happens with Deangelo? What year will he be next year?
Don't think it will have any effect on younger Ramsey, unless parents are upset and move him. Playing the what if game if Ramsey is contrite and gets back with the program how good will Salem be?

Evan as awesome as a Senior Larry Basham is going to be, I don't see Byrd being near what they were in 2016. Defensively, their two bookend senior DE's saved them . The Nose and both DT's dove on the ground to keep from getting blown up. By diving on the ground, this allowed the LBs to make plays, which they did. Without the DE's though, I don't think that Defense would have survived. The Byrd D was as tough as anyone that Salem played, IMO. With great coaching though, Byrd will be a tough out for anyone .in 2017

Sorry I must be behind on the news but what exactly happened with Ramsey?

He was removed from the team after the 8th game of the regular season for disciplinary reasons. Until these rumors were posted, it seemed unlikely that he would return to the team next season. I don't live in Salem and know nothing other than what's been posted here. Obviously, if he returns next season, it will bolster the Spartans' chances to repeat or make a strong run for it.

Following up on my earlier comment, I don't see how DeAngelo Ramsey can play for another public school with his younger brother still at Salem based on the VHSL residency rules.

I don't think it's appropriate to discuss disciplinary issues of a minor on a public forum. He wasn't a member of the team at the end of the season unfortunately. That's probably all of the details that should be made known.
Sorry I guess I was under the assumption that he did not play because of ejection from a game. Displinary action never crossed my mind, I apologize.

I heard he plans to be in Salem, and wants to play soccer in the spring. I hope we all show him our support. Everybody deserves second chances. Half of us have probably done worse. If you read this D'angelo, I'm pulling for you. Hope to see you on the field next fall.
He is back at Salem for the rest of this school year anyway. I'm not sure of his family's plans for the fall, but I wish them well. I've never met Deangelo, but I met Alex, his mom and dad, they are all good people.

He just made a 16 yr old's mistake, I wish them well whatever they decide to do.

He is a great player on both sides of the ball. He showcased his defensive skills 2 years ago with a Salem record 14.5 sacks. He averaged 140 ypg rushing his Jr yr. If he comes back for his Sr year he could play 1 way or play both sides of the ball. He really dominated on one side of the ball each yr, but for his Sr year, wherever he plays, he has that capability to be a dominant player on both sides of the ball.

I wish you well Ramsey's, they have been good for Salem, and Salem has been good for them too. We'll be cheering you on to get back on the field and for you to do your best when you get there. Lewis will be a Freshman this year and will make a big impact on JV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT