ADVERTISEMENT

3A West Playoffs

Feb 6, 2016
Thoughts on favorites or dark horses to come out of the West region in 3A? Record and name wise it looks like Northside, Spotswood, maybe Cave Spring are top teams on that side..? East looks like Norcom and John Marshall are locks

Western Albemarle and Waynesboro are pretty solid teams in the west also. Either could potentially beat Spotswood in the conference tournament. Western has the #1 seed entering the conference tournament it looks like

Waynesboro and Western. The champion on that conference stays out of Northside's side of the bracket for the west.

Don't see Waynesboro beating Spotswood. I've seen Western a few times and they live and die by the 3. Having the conference tourney at Western should help them, especially with their huge student section.
I see Rustburg only has 1 loss on their season. Are they legit? Usually that district has inflated records but still an impressive record, nonetheless.

Don't see Waynesboro beating Spotswood. I've seen Western a few times and they live and die by the 3. Having the conference tourney at Western should help them, especially with their huge student section.
I see Rustburg only has 1 loss on their season. Are they legit? Usually that district has inflated records but still an impressive record, nonetheless.
Saw Rustburg against EC Glass , a game in which they lost, and if you shut down their PG Mike Jones, then you shut down their team. Not saying that they're not good, I just don't see them beating a Spotswood or Northside. Played very sloppy and just didn't look like a team that should only have 1 loss at this point of the season. I'd also look out for Magna Vista. Their state champion football players are finally getting their basketball legs under them and they look to be coming along very well. 4a contender GW Danville beat them at the buzzer the other night in a high scoring game and though GW beat them by 30 the first game, MV still looked darn good for a team that's been playing basketball for a couple weeks. A lot of athletes at MV and Devin Johnston looks to be a threat to any team in 3a west.

Conference 29 boys starts Tuesday (weather pending)
Home teams on the left
1 Western Albemarle vs. Fluvanna
2 Spotswood vs. Turner Ashby
3 Waynesboro vs. Monticello
4 Broadway vs. Fort Defiance

Sounds crazy but....don't sleep on Broadway. They have beaten Waynesboro and R.E.Lee this season and are well coached. They also have played a very difficult schedule and are battle tested.

Agree on Broadway-I could see them finishing 3rd and advancing to regionals. I don't see them beating Western in the semis if they get past Fort. Last time Bway played Fort it was a surprisingly close game.

To be clear three teams advance to the regionals correct? There will be a conference Championship game for the 1 and 2 seeds. Then a Consolation game that will decide the 3rd seed with the 4th place team eliminated?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT