ADVERTISEMENT

4A East rd 3 Eastern View @ Lafayette Saturday at 2pm

Who wins

• Eastern View

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Lafayette

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
I am sure both sets of fans know very little about each other. I hear EV is a spread offense but does use a double tight end formation- unusual! Know nothing of their stats, favorite plays and top players. Any info ?

Lafayette is a wing T that goes with the Qb under center but also in the shotgun for pitchouts. One Rb 1400 yards another 1100. Will throw the ball deep and bubble screen to VT recruit Grimsley (had TD return last night). Not that much of medium passing.

Reactions: OCBoy
I am sure both sets of fans know very little about each other. I hear EV is a spread offense but does use a double tight end formation- unusual! Know nothing of their stats, favorite plays and top players. Any info ?

Lafayette is a wing T that goes with the Qb under center but also in the shotgun for pitchouts. One Rb 1400 yards another 1100. Will throw the ball deep and bubble screen to VT recruit Grimsley (had TD return last night). Not that much of medium passing.
EV can run and pass effectively. They mixed both very well against Chancellor this past Friday, the week before it was pretty much all-run against King George. The O-Line can be dominating. Defense is not as big, but they are very fast and hit very hard (very good athletes) with swarm-tackling. RB #17 has been looking pretty incredible lately and is only a sophomore.

So where does one eat before the game down there? Haven't heard of much tail-gating going on there unless I've missed it.

Very little tailgating here though the stadium parking lot is well suited for it. There are plenty of Restaurants on Route 60, also known as Richmond Road going east toward Colonial Williamsburg- only about 2 miles- Outback, Carrabas, Red Lobster and many others. Down about another mile or so and across from William and Mary stadium is College Delly- great subs and Gyros. Good dry run for the finals! All easy to get to and about a little over 10 minutes back to the stadium that essentially next to Warhill HS for Google map purposes.

Should be an excellent game. That big offensive line is troubling for me! None like it down here. Have seen all types of formations this year. The Lafayette passing game can at times disappear and that may be the significant flaw I have seen. Against Grafton our passing game netted a season low 28 yards on less than 7 passes. One game well over 150, the next nowhere to be seen. Good luck- I see the drive down is over 2 hours!

Very little tailgating here though the stadium parking lot is well suited for it. There are plenty of Restaurants on Route 60, also known as Richmond Road going east toward Colonial Williamsburg- only about 2 miles- Outback, Carrabas, Red Lobster and many others. Down about another mile or so and across from William and Mary stadium is College Delly- great subs and Gyros. Good dry run for the finals! All easy to get to and about a little over 10 minutes back to the stadium that essentially next to Warhill HS for Google map purposes.

Should be an excellent game. That big offensive line is troubling for me! None like it down here. Have seen all types of formations this year. The Lafayette passing game can at times disappear and that may be the significant flaw I have seen. Against Grafton our passing game netted a season low 28 yards on less than 7 passes. One game well over 150, the next nowhere to be seen. Good luck- I see the drive down is over 2 hours!

When I was in school there, one was either a Paul's guy, or a College Delly man. I was the latter. I haven't been down there in eleven years. Are Paul's and the Green Leafe both still open?

When I was in school there, one was either a Paul's guy, or a College Delly man. I was the latter. I haven't been down there in eleven years. Are Paul's and the Green Leafe both still open?
Paul's Deli is still there and also in a new location in New Town area. Green Leafe just totally renovated and reopened about a month or so ago. Between them is also the new hotspot, the Brickhouse.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
You guys keep talking food, and ClarkeFan is going to make the long trip down, just so he can try these places.

(And if that happens, I feel an obligation to join him, out of respect and stuff.)

You guys keep talking food, and ClarkeFan is going to make the long trip down, just so he can try these places.

(And if that happens, I feel an obligation to join him, out of respect and stuff.)

You seem to be a very respectful guy, but I've noticed the respect level soars when it comes to epicurean delights.

BTW, I didn't notice exactly when you made the change, but I'm glad you went back to the iconic "red Dinwiddie D with sabres" for your avatar. It's definitely your brand.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

EV is very physical and likes to pound the ball and throw to spread the defense out
. Once your spread out they will get shifty and hit the holes that the O line gives them

EV is very physical and likes to pound the ball and throw to spread the defense out
. Once your spread out they will get shifty and hit the holes that the O line gives them
How do you insert a picture within a message?

Should be a good chess match as Lafayette prides itself on being physical and is designed to stop the run in the run heavy BRD though the district had more passing this year than I can ever remember. Our first opponent in the playoffs- Denbigh went with spread the entire game/ 4 & 5 wideouts!!

You seem to be a very respectful guy, but I've noticed the respect level soars when it comes to epicurean delights.

BTW, I didn't notice exactly when you made the change, but I'm glad you went back to the iconic "red Dinwiddie D with sabres" for your avatar. It's definitely your brand.

I've noticed that virtually all football fans have that in common. The love of good food. Second only to good friendships.

Thanks, I didn't particularly like the picture I used as an avatar. It was a nice sunset picture, but not on a small scale like the avatar. Yeah, I guess the special "D" is kinda associated with me.

What "style" of offense would you say is the best description of EV and Lafayette?

EV is what you would call a Power-Spread
I'm not an X's and O's guy, but power-spread sound likes "polar opposites". I know what you are saying, it's just that I don't get what the alignment of players would look like. Can you help me out, please?

You'll see 4 wideouts and 5 linemen....go into a jet-sweep motion and then hand it off to the loan back who goes up the middle and plows over anyone who gets in the way...or fake the handoff and go deep to s WR

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but power-spread sound likes "polar opposites". I know what you are saying, it's just that I don't get what the alignment of players would look like. Can you help me out, please?
That would also be my question. In the spread do you use 4 wideouts and one setback and also sometimes 5 wideouts with no back? How often?
In the power formation double TE's, a "heavy" formation with one back being a lineman? Again how often used?

Lafayette has three basic formations types. Usual wing T with their two 1,000 yard runners both in the backfield and Qb under center, Qb in the shotgun which they hand off to motion back, pitch out to either side or pass from and a short yardage jumbo formation with large 6 4" 285 defensive tackle set as a back to aid in blocking to the Te side. Of course they run the occasional reverse and the RB option pass. For some reason that pass rather to a receiver on the same side as the back usually is thrown to the opposite side of the field.

Power Spread..o_O Funniest thing I heard today....
No matter how big your line is.. it's just a spread my friend

Thanks to both of you. That gives me a pretty good idea of what I can expect to see Saturday.

CulpGrad, are you going to be at the game?

C'non Gameday....don't like my adjective?? I might go...long trip for an old man though. Will it be online?

Lafayette will have a lot to play for considering its their coaches last year before taking over AD full time

Alot of emotion here about the head Coaches last year and the finals 3 miles down the road. Will it be enough to get over the 3rd round hump? With 16-18 year olds you never know. The Grafton game was tough, mentally and physically and admittedly not one of Lafayette's best. A lot of Seniors too. 4 days to see what it all means.

I would describe EV's offense as versatile. I understand what 86grad is saying but I would describe it a little differently. EV runs a traditional spread offense. But sometimes totally changes and goes 2 TEs with the between-the-tackle-runs. However, it totally depends on what the defense is doing. I like Hatfield's willingness to adapt. What I like more is that EV has the personnel to make those adaptations work (at least so far this season).

Looking forward to a great game with Lafayette. Regardless the outcome, this has been a good year for football in this area.

I would describe EV's offense as versatile. I understand what 86grad is saying but I would describe it a little differently. EV runs a traditional spread offense. But sometimes totally changes and goes 2 TEs with the between-the-tackle-runs. However, it totally depends on what the defense is doing. I like Hatfield's willingness to adapt. What I like more is that EV has the personnel to make those adaptations work (at least so far this season).

Looking forward to a great game with Lafayette. Regardless the outcome, this has been a good year for football in this area.
Yes....very versatile. If you stack the box they can easily go over the top, it you don't stack the box they can run it down your throat. And #3 is just amazing.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
This time of the year its about making adjustments and taking advantage of whats given. In all just get to the next game...

How big is Lafayette lines and WR's... wing T is about the only offense ev defense struggles with. When they faced it two years ago at JF they had no clue where the ball was.

How big is Lafayette lines and WR's... wing T is about the only offense ev defense struggles with. When they faced it two years ago at JF they had no clue where the ball was.
JF didn't run a Wing T. EV has faced a couple of teams this year that ran the wing T

Lafayette's O line is 6 4" 255, 6 3" 220, 6 1" 240, 5 11" 240 & 5 11 220. Every ones a little different variation of the wing T. The 1400 yard back is 190 pound power back, his teammate is a smaller back with blazing speed and does have some power too. The main w/r is 6 2" 185 and the fastest player in the BRD and the VT recruit.

The D line is 6 4" 260, 6 4" 280 , 6 1" 240 & 6 2" 230.

Overall not huge but not small either,

Last edited:
They ran the wishbone if that's what your calling wing t
Both try to confuse the defense as to where the ball is going. In the wishbone the Qb carries the ball a fair number of times. Not in the Lafayette wing T. The Qb may carry the ball as called 3-4 times only. It relies on running the ball in all directions and usually has one back in motion to move the defense. He may or may not get the ball and the play may not go to the motion side. If played against only 1-2 times in 12 games it be very challenging if the opposing team has the talent to run it well. If you play against it a lot like Grafton does the offense can bog down at times.

Lafayette's O line is 6 4" 255, 6 3" 220, 6 1" 240, 5 11" 240 & 5 11 220. Every ones a little different variation of the wing T. The 1400 yard back is 190 pound power back, his teammate is a smaller back with blazing speed and does have some power too. The main w/r is 6 2" 185 and the fastest player in the BRD and the VT recruit.

The D line is 6 4" 260, 6 4" 280 , 6 1" 240 & 6 2" 230.

Overall not huge but not small either,

Hmm. Those heights are a bit surprising. They don't seem it on film unless everyone around them and the teams they play are also pretty tall. The WR is listed as 6' on most recruiting sites. Also, 6'4" usually stands out more on film.. They don't have anyone listed as 6'4" from what I saw. Still decent size though. #72 looks more around 6'2" ish. I like his motor, good energy. I didn't see that he I don't know about blazing speed for the RB, but that WR seems to be very fast. I also like his go up and get the ball style. You don't see too many HS WR's do that.

Hmm. Those heights are a bit surprising. They don't seem it on film unless everyone around them and the teams they play are also pretty tall. The WR is listed as 6' on most recruiting sites. Also, 6'4" usually stands out more on film.. They don't have anyone listed as 6'4" from what I saw. Still decent size though. #72 looks more around 6'2" ish. I like his motor, good energy. I didn't see that he I don't know about blazing speed for the RB, but that WR seems to be very fast. I also like his go up and get the ball style. You don't see too many HS WR's do that.
The latest updated roster for the Grafton re

The latest roster for the later regular season Grafton game has #72 and #69 at 6 4", #57 at 6 1", #9 at 6 2", these are the front 4 D. #2 - w/r Grimsley at 6 2", my 2015 roster had him at 5 10". R/b #45- Kyle Johnson is extremely fast and in the open field can out run most anybody. The 6 4" on offense is #54 - all conference. Lafayette usually has accurate updated listing throughout the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT