ADVERTISEMENT

4A West : #4 Dominion 30 @ #1 Woodgrove 23 FInal

My mistake, I knew you were undefeated. Where I got that you had lost to Dominion came from, the Lord only knows!! Good luck.

4A looks tough - still got 4 undefeated teams left at this point - plus once beaten LT, Salem and Byrd.

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dominion blocks potential GW 43yd FG, Billie Walker returns it for 6, <a href="https://twitter.com/DHS_TITAN_FB">@DHS_TITAN_FB</a> beats top seed Woodgrove 30-23 in 4A West semi <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/allmets?src=hash">#allmets</a> <a href="https://t.co/XO1Aft1yKM">pic.twitter.com/XO1Aft1yKM</a></p>&mdash; Dillon W Mullan (@DillonMullan) <a href="">November 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I went to the game last week and Dominion is a solid team.That 1 kid they have at QB is special.

Reactions: wikki
I also saw this game and, yes, McCants is very good. He accounted for 241 of Dominion's 252 yards of offense. However, the score is deceptive. Woodgrove was the better team IMO but Dominion had McCants and Woodgrove did not-it was as simple as that. McCants spent the entire night scrambling to avoid multiple Woodgrove defenders in the backfield, but was extremely elusive and would usually make one of two things happen. If he wasn't dropped for a loss, which he was many times, he was able to get 7-8 seconds to find a receiver, or else he evaded as many as 5-6 defenders and, once at the LOS, had yards of open daylight to run into.

Woodgrove also made two absolutely critical special teams mistakes. After dominating the first half and leading 14-7, they fumbled the kickoff to open the second half. Instead of just jumping on the ball with several Dominion players closing in, Kpaduwa tried to make a play and they lost the ball on the one yard line. Added to the fact that McCants was able to throw and scramble his team to a TD in less than two minutes prior to the half to pull Dominion within 14-7 at the half, Dominion was right back in the game despite being dominated for 22 of the first 24 minutes of the game. The second mistake was the XP on the third Woodgrove TD. Their kicker had been flirting with disaster on the two previous kicks, placing them just inside the left upright. The third time he missed, wide left. That totally changed the game when late in the 4th quarter Woodgrove now trailed 24-23 after a Dominion FG with less than a minute left so they had to score to win and could not rely on OT if they did not get a score. Woodgrove was extremely disciplined and managed to drive 55 yards to get within FG range (42 yard FG attempt) with 8 seconds left but the snap was on the ground and the holder could not get it down in time and they blocked the kick (guess who? McCants). The blocked kick was returned for a meaningless TD for the final score of 30-23.

Woodgrove fans were lamenting their "lack of speed" in trying to run down McCants, but I don't think they were that slow-it was McCants good speed combined with a freakish ability to elude defenders that allowed McCants to carry his team. For good measure, McCants also played in the secondary and usually covered Woodgrove's #1 target.

I cannot recall a game I have seen in years where one player carried the team so much. I am not sure Dominion can survive two more games to win D4, but it has been done before. In 2006 D6 Osbourn's Hogan carried his team almost single handedly to the D6 championship.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT