ADVERTISEMENT

4B opinions after 3 weeks

I have no doubt that the coaching at EV is top notch. If my sons decide to play football when they get to HS, EV would be one of my top picks of places that I would want them to play because of the coaching. They run a top notch organization. If they have never had a player that was zoned to attend Culpeper HS then you are correct and I apologize. I live in Spotsy and would consider moving to EV's zone for my kids to play there, so I can only assume that there are parents that would make that decision without having to move.
There absolutely have been some that chose to come to EV when entering high school, but not anywhere close to what some people in the county would think.

That would be an incorrect guess. Last years Culpeper team had several players (starters) that transferred from EV to Culpeper because they couldn't get playing time on EV.
Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for what EV has done. I have been one of the few on here who was talking them up the last few years. I have been on the opposite sideline coaching against them and they are truly first class. Not to tear off any scabs but I argued last year that they would have beat Louisa by a couple scores on turf, or at least a good grass surface. My only point was that they won't be able to benefit from players "deciding" to play for them going forward and, in my opinion, will bring them back to earth a bit. Maybe instead of beating everyone in the Battlefield by 35, they will only beat everyone by 28!!!

There absolutely have been some that chose to come to EV when entering high school, but not anywhere close to what some people in the county would think.
Gotcha, thanks for interjecting. I am "ass u me"ing what is going on based on what I know happens in Stafford. Good luck to Culpeper and EV going forward!!!

People have been yacking about EV's schedule for years. Doesn't seem to affect them very much. The last 2 years they're season ended in the playoffs on last second/possession scores with Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor. I'm gonna guess if you ask the players on those teams they're gonna say EV was pretty tough.....no matter what schedule they had.
One could argue that had they been in a competitive game or two during the season they may have had the experience to finish those close games.

I have no doubt that the coaching at EV is top notch. If my sons decide to play football when they get to HS, EV would be one of my top picks of places that I would want them to play because of the coaching. They run a top notch organization. If they have never had a player that was zoned to attend Culpeper HS then you are correct and I apologize. I live in Spotsy and would consider moving to EV's zone for my kids to play there, so I can only assume that there are parents that would make that decision without having to move.
I've seen many games by both teams the last several years. I knew last year that Culpeper's run to the 3A state semi's was fool's gold. Most everyone knew that too considering the teams they played. Yes, if you had a choice you would be better to go to EV. Not sure what's going to happen with the new coach this year at Culpeper. Unfortunately he had a serious medical issue and hasn't actually been on the sidelines for a game yet. Even though they were shut-out again this year, I would say that Culpeper looked better against EV this year than they have in a long while.

I've seen many games by both teams the last several years. I knew last year that Culpeper's run to the 3A state semi's was fool's gold. Most everyone knew that too considering the teams they played. Yes, if you had a choice you would be better to go to EV. Not sure what's going to happen with the new coach this year at Culpeper. Unfortunately he had a serious medical issue and hasn't actually been on the sidelines for a game yet. Even though they were shut-out again this year, I would say that Culpeper looked better against EV this year than they have in a long while.
Damn, sorry to hear about the coach, sucks for the kids (and obviously the coach). Do you know anything about Culpeper joining the Battlefield after this two year schedule?

Damn, sorry to hear about the coach, sucks for the kids (and obviously the coach). Do you know anything about Culpeper joining the Battlefield after this two year schedule?
IMO they should, but if I had to guess I would say they will try to stay in the district they're in for over-all sport competitiveness reasons.

I hate to be a cynical, but what the heck is the purpose of playing teams you cream and embarrass in the first quarter? 41-0 Eastern View over Charlottesville and it's not even halftime. No knock on EV's talent they have tons and are a good team, but when is Hatfield going to schedule a team that can at give them a game. Is it ego or what?

I hate to be a cynical, but what the heck is the purpose of playing teams you cream and embarrass in the first quarter? 41-0 Eastern View over Charlottesville and it's not even halftime. No knock on EV's talent they have tons and are a good team, but when is Hatfield going to schedule a team that can at give them a game. Is it ego or what?
Yeah, they should come east and play North Stafford, Colonial Forge, Freedom, etc. Wonder if many bigger schools want to play down to a 4A team that can beat em. It would hurt them in points. The way the points are set up you are better off beating a bunch of "cream puffs", even if they are 1 or 2A, then you are losing to good 5 and 6A teams. I would imagine that Hatfield is focused on getting into the playoffs every year. Injuries would be the other issue that coaches probably have to consider. Is it worth it to beat, let's say, North Stafford, only to lose 2 starts in a physical game. Hard call to make, but I see both sides of it.

Yeah, they should come east and play North Stafford, Colonial Forge, Freedom, etc. Wonder if many bigger schools want to play down to a 4A team that can beat em. It would hurt them in points. The way the points are set up you are better off beating a bunch of "cream puffs", even if they are 1 or 2A, then you are losing to good 5 and 6A teams. I would imagine that Hatfield is focused on getting into the playoffs every year. Injuries would be the other issue that coaches probably have to consider. Is it worth it to beat, let's say, North Stafford, only to lose 2 starts in a physical game. Hard call to make, but I see both sides of it.
The other guys have to agree to play you. Takes 2 to tango

Well EV would be beating North Stafford by 40 at half as well, watching the live stream on YouTube right now and they're not good defensively at all, and it's more than who they're playing. They just look young, unorganized and not physical. They've lost a lot from the last couple of years. I see why they struggled mightily with Orange.

So hard to tell right now. Spotsy and EV seem to have great teams but have a very easy schedule. Another example, look at Courtland, they had Liberty beat yet lost on last minute drive. KG was unable to keep up with Liberty. JM beats Stafford and Courtland gets handled by Stafford. JM then gets man handled by Riverbend. The only sure thing right now is Louisa top dog.
So here is another question: Louisa and Dinwiddie have strong non-conference games. Eastern view has their typical soft schedule. Spotsy also soft schedule. What makes more sense? Win and get points while keeping your starters healthy going into conference play or play higher class, tough schools to prepare yourself for the competitive games during play-off time?
Yep, hard to tell...Spotsy just lost to a bad Brentsville team. It is EV and everyone else! KG and Chancellor may be playing for a very distant 2nd place in the Battlefield next week! Spotsy and Courtland may be able to rebound...but it doesn't look good so far.

Yep, hard to tell...Spotsy just lost to a bad Brentsville team. It is EV and everyone else! KG and Chancellor may be playing for a very distant 2nd place in the Battlefield next week! Spotsy and Courtland may be able to rebound...but it doesn't look good so far.
Spotsy was without Colbert tonight and it showed. I still think they’re a tier better than Courtland and KG but may not be as good or better than Chancellor. I went to this and my son went to Courtland v Orange. Next week will tell a lot for the Battlefield. Chancellor vs KG and Spotsy vs Courtland. Both KG and Courtland struggled with Orange and Spotsy absolutely destroyed them in the scrimmage. Will be a great week and should provide clarity.

Spotsy was without Colbert tonight and it showed. I still think they’re a tier better than Courtland and KG but may not be as good or better than Chancellor. I went to this and my son went to Courtland v Orange. Next week will tell a lot for the Battlefield. Chancellor vs KG and Spotsy vs Courtland. Both KG and Courtland struggled with Orange and Spotsy absolutely destroyed them in the scrimmage. Will be a great week and should provide clarity.
Thanks for the update. Agree with your points. Chancellor for me, is the wild card. I know what Courtland and Spotsy are, but not sure how good Chancellor is. We shall find out Friday!

Reactions: Bcope83
Well EV would be beating North Stafford by 40 at half as well, watching the live stream on YouTube right now and they're not good defensively at all, and it's more than who they're playing. They just look young, unorganized and not physical. They've lost a lot from the last couple of years. I see why they struggled mightily with Orange.
They might beat them but, implying they are up 40 at half would put EV in the class of Highland Springs and I doubt many would buy that foolishness. More importantly, if they were actually that good they would get it done in the playoffs instead of being a perennial flameout.

KG is 2-1 OOD with Washington and Lee left, so they should be 3-1 OOD this year. There is too much parity in the Battlefield aside from EV at the top and Caroline at the bottom. It's only going to get worse when Culpeper County ends open enrollment, bringing EV back down to earth and improving Culpeper, who I understand will be joining the Battlefield in the next few years.
Culpeper county does not have open enrollment. They follow a zoning policy like most school systems. Rising 9th graders have the choice of what school they want to attend. This is supported State wide through the VHSL. I know Spotsylvania county schools and fauquier do the same thing for 9th graders. Yes there are some transfers but can not transfer just for athletic purposes. Ev wont be coming down to earth. They have been this dominant since they opened because of how the program is ran.

Culpeper county does not have open enrollment. They follow a zoning policy like most school systems. Rising 9th graders have the choice of what school they want to attend. This is supported State wide through the VHSL. I know Spotsylvania county schools and fauquier do the same thing for 9th graders. Yes there are some transfers but can not transfer just for athletic purposes. Ev wont be coming down to earth. They have been this dominant since they opened because of how the program is ran.
Thanks for the clarification. No doubt that it's about the coaching.

They might beat them but, implying they are up 40 at half would put EV in the class of Highland Springs and I doubt many would buy that foolishness. More importantly, if they were actually that good they would get it done in the playoffs instead of being a perennial flameout.
Flameout, hmmm. Open 11 years, multiple district titles, Regional campion and state semis. Yeah that’s just a complete failure.

Reactions: FoxesPride
Flameout, hmmm. Open 11 years, multiple district titles, Regional campion and state semis. Yeah that’s just a complete failure.
Yeah, I don't think you can say they flamed out last year. They were one play away from making it to the finals and I would argue would be the favorite against Woodgrove. I think it is fair to say they under achieved, but I wouldn't say they flamed out. They lost close games to Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor the last two years... I would call that an established program that is real close to winning it all.

Yeah, I don't think you can say they flamed out last year. They were one play away from making it to the finals and I would argue would be the favorite against Woodgrove. I think it is fair to say they under achieved, but I wouldn't say they flamed out. They lost close games to Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor the last two years... I would call that an established program that is real close to winning it all.
Pretty much. I don’t even know if they under achieved. I don’t think they were favored in either of those games...or against Louisa last year. Very good teams playing very tough games.

Pretty much. I don’t even know if they under achieved. I don’t think they were favored in either of those games...or against Louisa last year. Very good teams playing very tough games.
I know it's all about matchups, but having been on the opposite sidelines from Tuscarora, Louisa, and EV the last two years, I came most impressed with EV. People want to criticize coaches for their OOD schedule, but I would argue that it's smart. The Battlefield is slowly catching up with EV and if the Battlefield becomes competitive across the board then all of them will be looking to soften their schedules. I've made this point before, many of these teams are an injury or two away from being mediocre. Just look at what happened to Spotsy last night without their RB against a below average 3A team

Reactions: 86CulpGrad
Flameout, hmmm. Open 11 years, multiple district titles, Regional campion and state semis. Yeah that’s just a complete

I am sorry you are offended at the choice of words, however, it is not an incorrect characterization. The word does not mean the team or their season is a complete failure. However, it does mean they have failed to finish the playoffs in their history so far. I don't think that applies to Louisa anymore does it?

Last edited:
I am sorry you are so upset over the choice of words but, perhaps if your perception

I am sorry you are offended at the choice of words, however, it is not an incorrect characterization. The word does not mean the team or their season is a complete failure. However, it does mean they have failed to finish the playoffs in their history so far. I don't think that applies to Louisa anymore does it?
I’m not upset at all. Just saying it’s incorrect. To my knowledge Louisa has never won a state title, but I wouldn’t consider them a flameout in the playoffs. Flameout would indicate you lost to a team you were heavily favored to beat....same as choking.

Brother, please don't twist my words, and please watch the first half before making a baseless post. If you actually go watch that first half, you would see that a lot of good teams would put up 40 in a half on that defense this year. They played ZERO defense, their defense is down. It's not comparing anyone to HSHS or putting them in the same class, it's just saying what kind of defense NS has this year.

I’m not upset at all. Just saying it’s incorrect. To my knowledge Louisa has never won a state title, but I wouldn’t consider them a flameout in the playoffs. Flameout would indicate you lost to a team you were heavily favored to beat.
Nothing incorrect about the use of the word in the context of its definition. Has Louisa ever been to the state finals? Somebody always has to lose, finishing is getting to the final game. At that point it is no longer the definition of flameout, in my opinion. EV has a good program, again in my opinion, and quite frankly I thought flameout was a better and more fair characterization than saying they underachieved. I did not consider flameout as much in the context of failure so much as not finishing or completing.

Brother, please don't twist my words, and please watch the first half before making a baseless post. If you actually go watch that first half, you would see that a lot of good teams would put up 40 in a half on that defense this year. They played ZERO defense, their defense is down. It's not comparing anyone to HSHS or putting them in the same class, it's just saying what kind of defense NS has this year.
My apologies for misinterpreting your words. It was not a deliberate attempt to twist them.

Reactions: LionNation540
Has Louisa ever been to the state finals?
2006, 2017. Lost to EV last year in the regional semis on a double tipped hail Mary on the last play on an extremely muddy field, or they probably would've made two straight appearances. EV went on to lose to LT on a final play.

Last edited:
Saying anyone besides maybe 2-3 teams would hang 40 in a half on North Stafford is foolish

Reactions: Nuke91
@Bcope83 saying Massaponax was a "different kind of beast" was foolish. Even though last year they did beat a MUCH better North Stafford team than this year's, 44-7 during the regular season while fully healthy.

Last edited:
It’s all about how you look at success. If you look at success by state championships then all but 1 real in 4a would be classified “flameouts” and that completely BS. For a school that has only been open 11 years and been competitive every year and make runs in the playoffs is pretty dang good and most people would say it’s a successful program. Think people take wins for granted. Lots of work goes into those wins especially talking about high school kids. Calling them flameouts probably isn’t the best choice of words.

Reactions: LionNation540
It’s all about how you look at success. If you look at success by state championships then all but 1 real in 4a would be classified “flameouts” and that completely BS. For a school that has only been open 11 years and been competitive every year and make runs in the playoffs is pretty dang good and most people would say it’s a successful program. Think people take wins for granted. Lots of work goes into those wins especially talking about high school kids. Calling them flameouts probably isn’t the best choice of words.
Did you read my response above? I understand people may not agree with the choice of words, however, I would ask what word or few words would be better? Perennial underachiever is far worse in my opinion. Again, I was not looking to say EV was not a good and successful program and I was trying to describe their playoff exits as accurately as possible in as few words as possible. My apologies to those offended because clearly their interpretation of the word has a much more negative connotation than was intended.

Reactions: WP02alum
yeah everyone thought EV was the favorite even at Louisa as they didn't expect louisa to have that home game in the first place. oh and on the louisa is a flame out, that cant be the case as they haven't been the favorite to win in any of those years.

EV put Louisa’s flame out last year....”Miracle Play” or whatever you want to call it Louisa watched EV play their last game from the sidelines....as I have said numerous times before I have no dog in any fight I just love high school football and live in the Fredericksburg area but it’s funny to me to see so much hatred for EV because they don’t “play anyone” honestly I hope we get to see EV and Louisa again this year it was such a treat last year and I see it being the exact same this year! By the way miracle or not catch the ball, bat it down, make the tackle them we wouldn’t be talking about a miracle boys....

I’m not upset at all. Just saying it’s incorrect. To my knowledge Louisa has never won a state title, but I wouldn’t consider them a flameout in the playoffs. Flameout would indicate you lost to a team you were heavily favored to beat....same as choking.
nope your taking it that way. they haven't been around that long but have had much success in that short period and when you go into the playoffs and are expected to win and then you don't that's a flame out. no louisa has not won a championship and they have not been expected to BECAUSE of a team like EV who was expected to win at least 1 championship.

Reactions: WP02alum
2006, 2017. Lost to EV last year in the regional semis on a double tipped hail Mary on the last play on an extremely muddy field, or they probably would've made two straight appearances. EV went on to lose to LT on a final play.[/QU

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT