ADVERTISEMENT

4B opinions after 3 weeks

Yeah, I bet you are right. Also, for some reason I thought those bonus points for "playing down" only counted for district games.....had totally forgotten they had changed that. Anyway, with Spotsylvania and Culpeper back in the Class 4 - I hope that some Stafford schools will play them in the future - particularly Stafford High (old school matchups!). Would love to see North Stafford and Mountain View play E. View and/or Louisa. Brooke Point and KG would be a good matchup too I think.
KG dropped Louisa since it really doesn't make sense to play a 4A team outside of your conference and picked up Stafford. We added Orange thinking they would be 5A and of course they dropped to 4A. We will probably drop them after this two year cycle. It really doesn't make any sense to play within your division OOD. You are better off going one up or down.

KG dropped Louisa since it really doesn't make sense to play a 4A team outside of your conference and picked up Stafford. We added Orange thinking they would be 5A and of course they dropped to 4A. We will probably drop them after this two year cycle. It really doesn't make any sense to play within your division OOD. You are better off going one up or down.
Stafford will more than likely be Class 6 after this 2 year cycle - it'd be 2 classes above KG but Stafford isn't Forge, or North, or 'View, or 'Ponnax, etc. (geez, we need to get out of the Commonwealth!). Be good for both if they could keep scheduling each other.

Stafford will more than likely be Class 6 after this 2 year cycle - it'd be 2 classes above KG but Stafford isn't Forge, or North, or 'View, or 'Ponnax, etc. (geez, we need to get out of the Commonwealth!). Be good for both if they could keep scheduling each other.
I hope so too, natural rivalry being right up the road. The "Stafford" County HS vs the KG County high school. Demographically, pretty similar student bodies. I long-term subbed at Stafford before taking a job at KG, Stafford's just bigger.

Schedule was made two years ago, during the season. We were coming off our first playoff win this century and our best two year W-L record this century, allbeit 7-5 and 7-4. EV was having trouble finding opponents and we're always down to play anybody. Fast forward and we're not in the same space we were two years ago and EV is in a better place.

EV was first class host this past Friday, loved the atmosphere for my first trip up there. Great fans, extremely well coached and physical as I expected. 23 coaches on their sideline blew my mind, not even Salem has that many coaches and I think of them as the gold standard in coaching.

No excuses but facts are we started camp with 37 varsity players, suited up 26 last friday. 5 players are out for season including starting QB, OT, C, DE and backup QB. This past friday we also were missing starting RB/S, ILB, DE and CB. Also have a starting CB/WR playing with a fractured thumb and another player with spiral fracture in hand. Couple that with scrimmages against #1 3A LB, #8 6A Ponax, games vs #1 4A Glass, improved JM and #6 4A EV. It's been tough sledding to say the least. We're learning a lot as players and coaches having faced such competition. Keep praying for our injured players, 4/5 out for season guys are seniors, which I hate for them.

I'll give more in depth thoughts on potential EV/Louisa matchup after I see Louisa up close and personal friday. Based on last Friday and what I've seen on film I'll give you this...

OL - Louisa
QB - EV
RBs - Louisa
WRs - EV
DL - Louisa (almost went push here but #55 from Louisa is different)
LB - Push
DBs - EV

Again, I'll have better perspective after I see Louisa live. EV-Louisa this year has all the makings to be as good if not better than last year. Both teams are different schematically with EVs 4-2-5 and Spread vs Louisa's 3-4 and Single Wing. Both teams have a plethora of talent everywhere. Both teams have some depth in the trenches which is critical. Right now I give the edge to EV because they appear to have a slightly stronger passing attack right now. I'd be shocked if EV or Louisa doesn't win 4B. Dinwiddie will certainly have something to say but from what I've seen, not sure they'll have enough in the trenches to beat EV or Louisa. Long ways to go though and anything can happen, like injuries! Stay healthy my friends and good luck to your teams folks!

@Oneman, my intent was not to disrespect Charlottesville and I owe you an apology. I know you guys are working hard. Honestly, I respect EV, their talent and fans. It's just a competition thing with me. It works for them so I will shut up.

I Dont expect Dinwiddie to be a factor this season. We are way too young on defense to make a deep run. Better get the Generals now, because we will be very good the next two years. The youngsters are frustrating at times, but fun to watch on offense. Collis Pride has been a huge surprise at receiver. 6'2" 180 with good hands and speed. If we can get our two o lineman back (missing all season), d. Tackle and free safety back (killed us against n stafford) we may see a marked improvement on defense. Still have district play to maneuver and Hopewell is really good. We shall see how the youngens progress.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Courtland just having a hicup? Git hammered two years in a row with serious grad losses that have hurt. JV program thriving and will reinforce varsity next year. Pretty darn good stsrting group on each side, just several going both ways and typical boring play calling! and not typical of a JC Hall coached team mistakes and penalties. We are in a true rebuild year or mode. JV is awesome with alot of takented players especially at RB, not moving any up right now? but future is very bright. It wull also take a year or two to truly feel the positive effects of the additional 350 student surge! seven ponax players came over 5 on JV and two on varsity.

@courtlandcougars1987 sorry brother, but you say that every year. Courtland won't be successful in this modern era until they get out of that offense and defense. Teams have evolved and Courtland's schemes make them too easy to beat. Your QB is nice, just like last year's. But as usual they just have him throw to the flats or chuck it deep. All of the schools surrounding Courtland are giving them plenty of blueprints on the type of team they can have, it's time for the stubbornness to end, there are no excuses at this point.

I cant agree with you more. However, you have to have the horses to run the just 3-4 short years ago we were one game short of title game losing to a very talebted LT. Coach is stubborn, and when his dad retired from coaching the D, we have not really been the same. All this goes in cycles
Look at Loiusa, just 4-5 years back they were bottom tier in the JD but have had an infkux of great talent come through the school system. EV was terrible first 5-6 years and couldnt beat Ct, but have had the same thing happen to them. Look at spotsy they wull be good this year and next, but will fall off a giant cliff. Ct JV beat their JV So bad last year it was embarrassing. Great Coaching stability and winning goes along way, and kids want to be part of that. Son is JV QB , and they are just well positioned at all positions especially the skill spots. But yes could use a more updated offense!! and be not so predictable!

I cant agree with you more. However, you have to have the horses to run the just 3-4 short years ago we were one game short of title game losing to a very talebted LT. Coach is stubborn, and when his dad retired from coaching the D, we have not really been the same. All this goes in cycles
Look at Loiusa, just 4-5 years back they were bottom tier in the JD but have had an infkux of great talent come through the school system. EV was terrible first 5-6 years and couldnt beat Ct, but have had the same thing happen to them. Look at spotsy they wull be good this year and next, but will fall off a giant cliff. Ct JV beat their JV So bad last year it was embarrassing. Great Coaching stability and winning goes along way, and kids want to be part of that. Son is JV QB , and they are just well positioned at all positions especially the skill spots. But yes could use a more updated offense!! and be not so predictable!
We hear the same stuff about Courtland yearly. Maybe it’s time for JC to make a decent hire and change some things up. I don’t see Courtland rebounding with 300 plus transfers or not. It’s the same violin being played every year for them now.

I know, you are correct not going to argue with you there. But even if he stays the same, just spice things up a bit. In the ot win agiant orange, finally used qb in a read option and scored easily after running 20 plays up the middle.

Just to clarify Louisa's downturn could directly be attributed to them not having a building for 4 years. I heard their weight room was in a double wide mobile home.

Reactions: WP02alum
@Oneman, my intent was not to disrespect Charlottesville and I owe you an apology. I know you guys are working hard. Honestly, I respect EV, their talent and fans. It's just a competition thing with me. It works for them so I will shut up.

I Dont expect Dinwiddie to be a factor this season. We are way too young on defense to make a deep run. Better get the Generals now, because we will be very good the next two years. The youngsters are frustrating at times, but fun to watch on offense. Collis Pride has been a huge surprise at receiver. 6'2" 180 with good hands and speed. If we can get our two o lineman back (missing all season), d. Tackle and free safety back (killed us against n stafford) we may see a marked improvement on defense. Still have district play to maneuver and Hopewell is really good. We shall see how the youngens progress.

No apology needed @BleedingNavy , didn't feel disrespected. We are what our record says we are. At least 6 more games to change it.

If the same Dinwiddie team shows up that beat us, y’all will be a factor. Dinwiddie has played the toughest 4A schedule along with Amherst so far. A 6-4 Dinwiddie team will be very dangerous.

Y'all probably said this already on another post. What regions play each other this year in the state semi's?

Seems like this thread has devolved into an argument over semantics.

Eastern View and Louisa are both top notch Class 4 programs that have been on the cusp of winning it all. Everybody's expectations and definitions of success are different.
IMHO, any school that gets passed the second round of the playoffs (as they are currently set up) has had a successful season. Sure, many may have much higher expectations but when you get that far, anything can happen on a given night. The best team does not always win.

And before the chest thumping about a school should have higher expectations, I agree. I’m just saying that anything past the second round is gravy. It’s hard to win a championship, and should be.

My Madison Co team has won 3 but lost 6. I wouldn’t consider those 6 years they lost as flameouts or underachieving years.

22-16 tonight so if Spotsy is so bad they’re falling off a cliff I guess the superstar Cougars are going with them

I'm calling it now, there will be a bang in the Battlefield and 4B in the final week when Chancellor plays Eastern View. Barring injuries, Chancellor with the upset! You heard it here first! That's if EV isn't upset sooner.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Missing top soph LB, and Ct playing just anout all Freshman, QB is Freshman. After next year they Spotsy will flop!! Trust me. They might be even better next year, but after that down hill. This week Ct moved up JV soph QB, so 22-16, its a win with 90% 9th graders. 5-0

Missing top soph LB, and Ct playing just anout all Freshman, QB is Freshman. After next year they Spotsy will flop!! Trust me. They might be even better next year, but after that down hill. This week Ct moved up JV soph QB, so 22-16, its a win with 90% 9th graders. 5-0
I guess the 6’5” freshman tight end with 5 offers and the 5 sophomores starting on varsity defense are all leaving after next year too. Spotsy is also 90% freshman on JV and their 2 best players left this game early.

I'm calling it now, there will be a bang in the Battlefield and 4B in the final week when Chancellor plays Eastern View. Barring injuries, Chancellor with the upset! You heard it here first! That's if EV isn't upset sooner.

Wow, That would be something for sure

Interesting. EV has had a running clock against every Battelfield team for 2 years. I haven't seen anything yet that would change that pattern. We'll see I guess.
Not to play semantics but they didn’t running clock Courtland last year did they?

You're correct...only 29-pt win
The ebbs and flows of the Battlefield are always great. EV dominance the last two years. Courtlands run of dominance the years prior to the last 2. JM with some great teams mixed in. Chancellor out of nowhere a few times.

The ebbs and flows of the Battlefield are always great. EV dominance the last two years. Courtlands run of dominance the years prior to the last 2. JM with some great teams mixed in. Chancellor out of nowhere a few times.
Back when EV first joined the Battlefield, the battlefield was a powerhouse. JM and Courtland were the top dogs with EV Chancellor and even KG always right on their heels. There were no weeks off during district play.

Back when EV first joined the Battlefield, the battlefield was a powerhouse. JM and Courtland were the top dogs with EV Chancellor and even KG always right on their heels. There were no weeks off during district play.
Please feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but my notes indicate Eastern View joined the Battlefield in 2017. They have gone unbeaten in district play the last two years. James Monroe has surely not been the top dog. I do remember several years ago (Maybe 2014 and 2015) when Chancellor, King George, JM and Courtland were all very good teams. In fact Caroline was decent in 2013 and 2014 I think.

Please feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but my notes indicate Eastern View joined the Battlefield in 2017. They have gone unbeaten in district play the last two years. James Monroe has surely not been the top dog. I do remember several years ago (Maybe 2014 and 2015) when Chancellor, King George, JM and Courtland were all very good teams. In fact Caroline was decent in 2013 and 2014 I think.
EV was also in the Battlefield from '09-'12

That is halfway correct. When Ev first opened in 2008 they were apart of the the Battlefield district until 2013 season. That is Ev went to the Evergreen district. They moved back to the Battlefield in 2017.

co
That is halfway correct. When Ev first opened in 2008 they were apart of the the Battlefield district until 2013 season. That is Ev went to the Evergreen district. They moved back to the Battlefield in 2017.
Cool @Cpep_greatest thanks for the correction. Just going by the media guide information I received from the EV administration the past two years. Honestly, I had no clue about EV before Dinwiddie moved to Class 4 in 2013. When I researched their history for the playoff media guide it did not reference their initial placement in the Battlefield. Good to know for the future. Based on this information I would surely have to agree with you and say that Courtland and James Monroe were top notch programs. Love to learn thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cpep_greatest
EV's starting defense is pitching a shutout through 4 games. Given up zero points. I don't think Chancellor has anything for them in 2019. I for one wish the battlefield district would be more competitive.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT