ADVERTISEMENT

4B opinions after 3 weeks

Did you read my response above? I understand people may not agree with the choice of words, however, I would ask what word or few words would be better? Perennial underachiever is far worse in my opinion. Again, I was not looking to say EV was not a good and successful program and I was trying to describe their playoff exits as accurately as possible in as few words as possible. My apologies to those offended because clearly their interpretation of the word has a much more negative connotation than was intended.
they read it cut they just want to focus on one thing and not see the bigger picture.

Reactions: WP02alum
EV put Louisa’s flame out last year....”Miracle Play” or whatever you want to call it Louisa watched EV play their last game from the sidelines....as I have said numerous times before I have no dog in any fight I just love high school football and live in the Fredericksburg area but it’s funny to me to see so much hatred for EV because they don’t “play anyone” honestly I hope we get to see EV and Louisa again this year it was such a treat last year and I see it being the exact same this year! By the way miracle or not catch the ball, bat it down, make the tackle them we wouldn’t be talking about a miracle boys....
:D You're right, they did put our flame out! In one of the most dramatic ways I've ever seen. Everyone in the stadium just KNEW that game was over, before that play. Can they do it this year? Hopefully we find out. That flame was relit in full effect against Ponax. You definitely made good points. This is still just the beginning of the Louisa/EV rivalry!

Any idea as to why Colbert didn’t play? He is definitely a difference maker.

Spotsy was without Colbert tonight and it showed. I still think they’re a tier better than Courtland and KG but may not be as good or better than Chancellor. I went to this and my son went to Courtland v Orange. Next week will tell a lot for the Battlefield. Chancellor vs KG and Spotsy vs Courtland. Both KG and Courtland struggled with Orange and Spotsy absolutely destroyed them in the scrimmage. Will be a great week and should provide clarity.

Did you read my response above? I understand people may not agree with the choice of words, however, I would ask what word or few words would be better? Perennial underachiever is far worse in my opinion. Again, I was not looking to say EV was not a good and successful program and I was trying to describe their playoff exits as accurately as possible in as few words as possible. My apologies to those offended because clearly their interpretation of the word has a much more negative connotation than was intended.

I don't see why it has to be flameout or perennial underachiever. Heck, I don't know why it needs to be explained at all. Me not even being from a 4a school knows they haven't won a championship or been to championship game, so I am sure most on here do.

What I am seeing here is saying underachieving, but did they? Were they the favorite to win a championship by people (obviously not their fanbase as any successful program thinks they will win).

It seems to me that they have had a favorable schedule, which is indicative of the 10-0 record, but just being undefeated in regular season doesn't mean that team is favorite. Has UCF underachieved? Did Chilhowie underachiever? Lafayette? No offense to any of these programs, or saying Louisa made it to championship game so they haven't underachieved because they won 1 more game? Or I will use my team, a couple years ago Stuarts Draft was undefeated, lost in the last minute to Richlands. Did they underachieve because they lost that game and didn't go on to most likely get trounced by Appomattox like Richlands did?

Anyway, back to your question. How about short of goal? Or without a championship?

Spotsy was without Colbert tonight and it showed. I still think they’re a tier better than Courtland and KG but may not be as good or better than Chancellor. I went to this and my son went to Courtland v Orange. Next week will tell a lot for the Battlefield. Chancellor vs KG and Spotsy vs Courtland. Both KG and Courtland struggled with Orange and Spotsy absolutely destroyed them in the scrimmage. Will be a great week and should provide clarity.

I love Spotsy destroyed Orange in the Scrimmage. It was a great scrimmage to watch when Orange barely played Jaylen, used their backup QB (freshman). Lets be real you can't base anything on that scrimmage. Who puts all their chips on the table in a scrimmage.

I love Spotsy destroyed Orange in the Scrimmage. It was a great scrimmage to watch when Orange barely played Jaylen, used their backup QB (freshman). Lets be real you can't base anything on that scrimmage. Who puts all their chips on the table in a scrimmage.
Orange played Walker in the scrimmage who is still their starter. They dominated them with ease just like they did last year. It was 40-0

just pick the term that makes you happy or don't pick at all. this whole thing is created when you all who pick teams who are supposed to win and then they don't. EV has been the pick by most of the ppl on this board for many years to win playoffs and haven't yet that's all period. You always give Louisa much respect but there is always a BUT thrown in there and that but is you really don't respect them like you say you do. Don't even compare the two when you haven't picked Louisa ever to win a playoff much less a championship. don't get your panties all bunched up just because its the truth as I have looked at past posts and its true. EV is a great team I will never deny that.

Orange played Walker in the scrimmage who is still their starter. They dominated them with ease just like they did last year. It was 40-0

Orange played the kid wearing #11 at QB to start and then played walker with the 2s. Don't get too excited. Spotsy also lost to Brentsville 34-30 who got smoked 55-15 against Liberty. Scrimmages mean nothing.

Orange played the kid wearing #11 at QB to start and then played walker with the 2s. Don't get too excited. Spotsy also lost to Brentsville 34-30 who got smoked 55-15 against Liberty. Scrimmages mean nothing.
I know I was there. Their first loss of the season without their best player came down to the wire. They dominated Orange in the scrimmage both 1’s and 2’s just as they did last year in the regular season. Wasn’t even a contest.

Orange is a one trick pony in Jalen Alexander. He is legit as a runner. You don't put the yardage up over the past two years that he has and not be legit. The team is another issue.

I'm not affiliated with Orange or Spotsy but would like to know why you guys had Walker Johnson on your roster on Maxpreps. I heard a rumor he was going to go there.

Orange is a one trick pony in Jalen Alexander. He is legit as a runner. You don't put the yardage up over the past two years that he has and not be legit. The team is another issue.

I'm not affiliated with Orange or Spotsy but would like to know why you guys had Walker Johnson on your roster on Maxpreps. I heard a rumor he was going to go there.
I’m not a Spotsy guy but I know he was at Spotsy as a freshman. Maybe that’s why?

He wasn't listed on there last year, but appeared after I heard a rumor he went to a Friday practice and never showed back up. I was wondering if he was shopping for a team over the summer. I know Dad is a Spotsy Teacher

He wasn't listed on there last year, but appeared after I heard a rumor he went to a Friday practice and never showed back up. I was wondering if he was shopping for a team over the summer. I know Dad is a Spotsy Teacher
I don’t know anything about that. I doubt he was ever considering Spotsy since dad was fired and replaced by the new staff. He was the coach and his son Walker was their starter as a freshman. Maybe that’s why his name popped up online I don’t know.

Tyshun Colbert has a sprained ankle that may require 2-3 missed games, he is Spotsylvania 's offense. With him they get by Courtland and without Ciurtkand will win Spots has no defense, has to win by outscoring orger guys in high scoring contest. However, glad to see Spotsy getting sime love, been down a long time.

Tyshun Colbert has a sprained ankle that may require 2-3 missed games, he is Spotsylvania 's offense. With him they get by Courtland and without Ciurtkand will win Spots has no defense, has to win by outscoring orger guys in high scoring contest. However, glad to see Spotsy getting sime love, been down a long time.

I heard from a reliable source that he should be good to go for Courtland. I guess we shall see.

So what’s the story with Courtland this year? Were they not supposed to be better than last year? It seems like they’ve taken a step back.

Reactions: Bcope83 and 7time
None of this is correct. I heard the same as 7Time that he was good to go. Their defense was fine the first 3 weeks. I know their DC and he told me they were down 4-5 starters on defense Friday and it showed. Either way it’s going to be a great week in the Battlefield. A lot of teams can answer some questions.

Reactions: 7time
None of this is correct. I heard the same as 7Time that he was good to go. Their defense was fine the first 3 weeks. I know their DC and he told me they were down 4-5 starters on defense Friday and it showed. Either way it’s going to be a great week in the Battlefield. A lot of teams can answer some questions.
Odds are that Spotsy will give up 40+ the next 3 weeks in a row..BUT they should be able to put up some good offensive numbers on these teams as well.

I hate to be a cynical, but what the heck is the purpose of playing teams you cream and embarrass in the first quarter? 41-0 Eastern View over Charlottesville and it's not even halftime. No knock on EV's talent they have tons and are a good team, but when is Hatfield going to schedule a team that can at give them a game. Is it ego or what?

Schedule was made two years ago, during the season. We were coming off our first playoff win this century and our best two year W-L record this century, allbeit 7-5 and 7-4. EV was having trouble finding opponents and we're always down to play anybody. Fast forward and we're not in the same space we were two years ago and EV is in a better place.

EV was first class host this past Friday, loved the atmosphere for my first trip up there. Great fans, extremely well coached and physical as I expected. 23 coaches on their sideline blew my mind, not even Salem has that many coaches and I think of them as the gold standard in coaching.

No excuses but facts are we started camp with 37 varsity players, suited up 26 last friday. 5 players are out for season including starting QB, OT, C, DE and backup QB. This past friday we also were missing starting RB/S, ILB, DE and CB. Also have a starting CB/WR playing with a fractured thumb and another player with spiral fracture in hand. Couple that with scrimmages against #1 3A LB, #8 6A Ponax, games vs #1 4A Glass, improved JM and #6 4A EV. It's been tough sledding to say the least. We're learning a lot as players and coaches having faced such competition. Keep praying for our injured players, 4/5 out for season guys are seniors, which I hate for them.

I'll give more in depth thoughts on potential EV/Louisa matchup after I see Louisa up close and personal friday. Based on last Friday and what I've seen on film I'll give you this...

OL - Louisa
QB - EV
RBs - Louisa
WRs - EV
DL - Louisa (almost went push here but #55 from Louisa is different)
LB - Push
DBs - EV

Again, I'll have better perspective after I see Louisa live. EV-Louisa this year has all the makings to be as good if not better than last year. Both teams are different schematically with EVs 4-2-5 and Spread vs Louisa's 3-4 and Single Wing. Both teams have a plethora of talent everywhere. Both teams have some depth in the trenches which is critical. Right now I give the edge to EV because they appear to have a slightly stronger passing attack right now. I'd be shocked if EV or Louisa doesn't win 4B. Dinwiddie will certainly have something to say but from what I've seen, not sure they'll have enough in the trenches to beat EV or Louisa. Long ways to go though and anything can happen, like injuries! Stay healthy my friends and good luck to your teams folks!

Great post. Louisa's passing game will take a big step forward when Noah Robinson returns this week and the other guys get shifted around. Freshman QB Landon Wilson connecting with Robinson will be fun to watch this year.

Last edited:
Schedule was made two years ago, during the season. We were coming off our first playoff win this century and our best two year W-L record this century, allbeit 7-5 and 7-4. EV was having trouble finding opponents and we're always down to play anybody. Fast forward and we're not in the same space we were two years ago and EV is in a better place.

EV was first class host this past Friday, loved the atmosphere for my first trip up there. Great fans, extremely well coached and physical as I expected. 23 coaches on their sideline blew my mind, not even Salem has that many coaches and I think of them as the gold standard in coaching.

No excuses but facts are we started camp with 37 varsity players, suited up 26 last friday. 5 players are out for season including starting QB, OT, C, DE and backup QB. This past friday we also were missing starting RB/S, ILB, DE and CB. Also have a starting CB/WR playing with a fractured thumb and another player with spiral fracture in hand. Couple that with scrimmages against #1 3A LB, #8 6A Ponax, games vs #1 4A Glass, improved JM and #6 4A EV. It's been tough sledding to say the least. We're learning a lot as players and coaches having faced such competition. Keep praying for our injured players, 4/5 out for season guys are seniors, which I hate for them.

I'll give more in depth thoughts on potential EV/Louisa matchup after I see Louisa up close and personal friday. Based on last Friday and what I've seen on film I'll give you this...

OL - Louisa
QB - EV
RBs - Louisa
WRs - EV
DL - Louisa (almost went push here but #55 from Louisa is different)
LB - Push
DBs - EV

Again, I'll have better perspective after I see Louisa live. EV-Louisa this year has all the makings to be as good if not better than last year. Both teams are different schematically with EVs 4-2-5 and Spread vs Louisa's 3-4 and Single Wing. Both teams have a plethora of talent everywhere. Both teams have some depth in the trenches which is critical. Right now I give the edge to EV because they appear to have a slightly stronger passing attack right now. I'd be shocked if EV or Louisa doesn't win 4B. Dinwiddie will certainly have something to say but from what I've seen, not sure they'll have enough in the trenches to beat EV or Louisa. Long ways to go though and anything can happen, like injuries! Stay healthy my friends and good luck to your teams folks!
Most of those coaches are volunteers and don't care about being paid but rather just be out there. Which is why the yearly success continues. As for scheduling, Ev is in the same boat. They have tried to schedule higher competitive teams. One being Louisa. They use to play when EV first opened and always was a great game and awesome atmosphere. I believe in 2013 the teams stopped playing and Ev has tried to get them back on the schedule each cycle but takes both ends to make it happen.

Reactions: one man
Louisa has tried working with Dinwiddie but the dates didn't match up, and just scheduled Ponax, so I'm not sure why they'd be "avoiding" EV. Also, there was no reason for EV and Sherando to stop playing each other.

Reactions: Cpep_greatest
Louisa has tried working with Dinwiddie but the dates didn't match up, and just scheduled Ponax, so I'm not sure why they'd be "avoiding" EV. Also, there was no reason for EV and Sherando to stop playing each other.
Not sure about Sherando but agree should have kept them on schedule. Was another very physical game each time.

Personally, if were a coach or AD of a top program, I would not schedule other top programs in my region. We'll see each other come play-offs. There are plenty of other top programs in other divisions in the area.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Personally, if were a coach or AD of a top program, I would not schedule other top programs in my region. We'll see each other come play-offs. There are plenty of other top programs in other divisions in the area.
I tend to agree, but I thought differently up until recently. If you have a very good team year-after-year, I don't think it's necessary or very beneficial to schedule big games against other great teams (OOD) during the regular season. If the players are use to big-time playoff games, they'll be fine, and if it helps you to stay healthier, all the better. But, if you've been a perennial loser and you're starting to get better, it would be beneficial to get a taste of the big-game atmosphere and competition. As far as EV goes, they're always going to play Culpeper, and I'm doubtful that they try to get back into the Battlefield. They will most likely always play Orange (very close, makes sense). That leaves 2 OOD games to schedule 2 years in advance.....and like I said before, it takes 2 to tango. Makes no sense for any of the Stafford schools to play EV. Louisa is the obvious opponent. I noticed this year that the middle schools for these 2 played each other. Maybe that means something for the future. Who knows.

I tend to agree, but I thought differently up until recently. If you have a very good team year-after-year, I don't think it's necessary or very beneficial to schedule big games against other great teams (OOD) during the regular season. If the players are use to big-time playoff games, they'll be fine, and if it helps you to stay healthier, all the better. But, if you've been a perennial loser and you're starting to get better, it would be beneficial to get a taste of the big-game atmosphere and competition. As far as EV goes, they're always going to play Culpeper, and I'm doubtful that they try to get back into the Battlefield. They will most likely always play Orange (very close, makes sense). That leaves 2 OOD games to schedule 2 years in advance.....and like I said before, it takes 2 to tango. Makes no sense for any of the Stafford schools to play EV. Louisa is the obvious opponent. I noticed this year that the middle schools for these 2 played each other. Maybe that means something for the future. Who knows.

I think it is beneficial to play a good team, and with the big area in the larger schools can find a game from a different region relatively close. I think a team like EV could try to play an upper tier team from A,C, or D.

Its harder for us smaller schools. We had a game 2 hours away on Friday and that was still in Region.

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan
Curious as to why you say it makes no sense. You get bonus points for playing down so it brings you up to playing the same size school as you. Even if you lose you will get, as a C5 school, 34 points (assuming EV wins out which they've done pretty regularly and show no sign of slowing down). That's the same as beating a .500 school of the same size and better if they are sub .500.

Curious as to why you say it makes no sense. You get bonus points for playing down so it brings you up to playing the same size school as you. Even if you lose you will get, as a C5 school, 34 points (assuming EV wins out which they've done pretty regularly and show no sign of slowing down). That's the same as beating a .500 school of the same size and better if they are sub .500.
I just didn’t think 5A/6A schools made a habit of playing OOD 4A schools an hour away. Maybe I’m wrong on that.

I just didn’t think 5A/6A schools made a habit of playing OOD 4A schools an hour away. Maybe I’m wrong on that.
It doesn't seem to common but not sure either - I notice that C5 North Stafford played C4 Orange County already this year and C5 Stafford will play at C4 Tuscarora this week. I think NS or C5 Mountain View would be interesting opponents for EV and/or Louisa.

It doesn't seem to common but not sure either - I notice that C5 North Stafford played C4 Orange County already this year and C5 Stafford will play at C4 Tuscarora this week. I think NS or C5 Mountain View would be interesting opponents for EV and/or Louisa.
True...but I wonder if these games were already in the works when Orange/Tuscarora were both 5A schools up until this year.

Both of those are longer trips than N.Stafford to EV.

True...but I wonder if these games were already in the works when Orange/Tuscarora were both 5A schools up until this year.
But with the bonus points, it doesn't matter. If you play down then the bonus points level you out. The only thing you lose is the opportunity to play "up".

Yeah, I bet you are right. Also, for some reason I thought those bonus points for "playing down" only counted for district games.....had totally forgotten they had changed that. Anyway, with Spotsylvania and Culpeper back in the Class 4 - I hope that some Stafford schools will play them in the future - particularly Stafford High (old school matchups!). Would love to see North Stafford and Mountain View play E. View and/or Louisa. Brooke Point and KG would be a good matchup too I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT