ADVERTISEMENT

4B opinions after 3 weeks

EV's starting defense is pitching a shutout through 4 games. Given up zero points. I don't think Chancellor has anything for them in 2019. I for one wish the battlefield district would be more competitive.

An impressive feat no doubt, but to be fair they beat Culpeper, Orange, Albemarle and Charlottesville. The latter three have yet to win a game. I think EV is really good, but I think it's hard to say how Chancellor will do against them without any common opponents yet. At least Chancellor has played some real good teams and we know about how good they are. Impossible to tell with EV until they play some real competition...now that may not be until the playoffs.

Reactions: Shruikan
If you saw Chancellor's offense in photos this year, not knowing any better, you'd think they were a small college team. The QB has size, speed, and a good arm (he's not much different from Ponax's QB to be honest), the RB is 6' 2" 240 lbs, the line and receivers are big and athletic, and they run the offense well against teams that are not named Louisa or Massaponax. But hell they started the game against Louisa and scored from 2 plays on the first drive. Their defense gave up points against two great teams, but it's serviceable. They are definitely capable of winning the Battlefield. They were much weaker last year and killed themselves with penalties and turnovers while moving the ball up and down the field on EV. EV lost some key pieces and has benefited from their schedule, while Chancellor is more experienced, disciplined and tested this year. I don't know much about KG though, so we'll see what happens there.

If you saw Chancellor's offense in photos this year, not knowing any better, you'd think they were a small college team. The QB has size, speed, and a good arm (he's not much different from Ponax's QB to be honest), the RB is 6' 2" 240 lbs, the line and receivers are big and athletic, and they run the offense well against teams that are not named Louisa or Massaponax. But hell they started the game against Louisa and scored from 2 plays on the first drive. Their defense gave up points against two great teams, but it's serviceable. They are definitely capable of winning the Battlefield. They were much weaker last year and killed themselves with penalties and turnovers while moving the ball up and down the field on EV. EV lost some key pieces and has benefited from their schedule, while Chancellor is more experienced, disciplined and tested this year. I don't know much about KG though, so we'll see what happens there.
I don't know if I'd call 52 rushes for 134-yds. moving it up and down the field last year....but they are a tough team.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
@LionNation540 we get it Louisa was loaded with talent last year, they are loaded with talent this year! But why so much hatred for EV, and why did this thread turn into Louisa/EV we probably won’t even get to see that matchup this year....smh don’t sleep on. 7-3, 6-4 Dinwiddie team!
Louisa/EV was talked about almost a week ago buddy...and no hatred, just hyping the rivalry. I hope Dinwiddie visits Mineral this year, they would be fired up.

Chancellor over KG 29-28! Sounds like it was a great old school Battlefield game!

Reactions: OCBoy
Louisa/EV was talked about almost a week ago buddy...and no hatred, just hyping the rivalry. I hope Dinwiddie visits Mineral this year, they would be fired up.

Chancellor over KG 29-28! Sounds like it was a great old school Battlefield game!
It was, kind of. Lots of penalties that had big impacts. Wish it could just been settled by the kids. I posted my thoughts on the game in a different thread.

Great comeback win for Powhatan! Class 5 Clover Hill is good this year. Indians a 4B sleeper for a potential upset! They host LC Bird next week.

Last edited:
Thanks I fixed it.

Spotsy beats Courtland 28-25, winning for the first time since 2001. 4B seedings will look very different this year.

Last edited:
1. Louisa
2. EV
3. Monacan
4. Patrick Henry - Ash
5. Dinwiddie
6. Huguenot
7. Powhatan
8. Chancellor
9. King George
10. Spotsylvania
11. Courtland
12. Orange County
13. Hanover
14. Lee-Davis
15. Caroline
16. George Wythe - R

Tyshun Colbert has a sprained ankle that may require 2-3 missed games, he is Spotsylvania 's offense. With him they get by Courtland and without Ciurtkand will win Spots has no defense, has to win by outscoring orger guys in high scoring contest. However, glad to see Spotsy getting sime love, been down a long time.
The team with no defense held Courtland to 3 points after the first drive all the way until the 4th quarter when Hanlon exploded. It was a great game to watch. Courtlands discipline and turnovers really hurt them. They certainly didn’t give up 40+ points like people predicted.

Caroline did everything they could to stop EVs rushing last night. So...EV QB Butler lit them up with 5 TD passes!

I have always liked Butler but was not 100% sold that he could carry the team through the air. I am a believer now.

EV might not be quite as talented across the board as last year but the 2019 team is more versatile. Should bode well for them this year.

Caroline did everything they could to stop EVs rushing last night. So...EV QB Butler lit them up with 5 TD passes!

I have always liked Butler but was not 100% sold that he could carry the team through the air. I am a believer now.

EV might not be quite as talented across the board as last year but the 2019 team is more versatile. Should bode well for them this year.
Saw him at the 7 on 7 this year and he can throw the ball well. Saw him play once this year and he’s a tough as nails runner. Different than Lowry as a runner but he’s got skills.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
1. Louisa
2. EV
3. Chancellor
4. Monacan
5. Dinwiddie
6. King George
7. Spotsylvania
8. Powhatan
9. Patrick Henry
10. Huguenot

Last edited:
185 yards rushing by Hanlon, 2 huge fumbles by him killing scoring drives doomed Ct. Cougars gad over 324 yards rushing on the night, so turnovers stopoed them not the porous Spotsy defense!

185 yards rushing by Hanlon, 2 huge fumbles by him killing scoring drives doomed Ct. Cougars gad over 324 yards rushing on the night, so turnovers stopoed them not the porous Spotsy defense!
They did nothing offensively after the first drive all the way until the 4th quarter when a few big runs by Hanlon happened. Exactly as I said earlier. Absolutely no threat offensively for essentially 3 quarters in the game.

Reactions: 7time
It was, kind of. Lots of penalties that had big impacts. Wish it could just been settled by the kids. I posted my thoughts on the game in a different thread.
@FoxesPride I was at the KG/Chancellor game. I picked a good one! Just wish I didn't miss the Spotsy/Courtland game.
I think you are a little one sided on your other post. It was already shut down so I will comment here. I saw a completely different game than you. KG beat Chancellor on special teams with 2 touchdowns. That's a big advantage and kept KG in the game. Chancellor needs to fix that. As for the flags. Don't blame the ref's. They aren't the ones making the late hits or grabbing face masks that turn the players head backwards. All holding calls were obvious. KG QB had a long time to throw the ball (for good reason), great line. OL just needs to release, move feet and reengage. Might want to watch the outside in cut blocks. Though it wasn't called it is illegal and dangerous. That is a solid OL! KG has a serious discipline issue. They look in the mirror and fix that they will be a heck of a team moving forward. Last comment.. why did #25 only get 3 carries. He was a STUD last year. What changed?

Reactions: LionNation540
@Nuke91 I was going to say the same thing about the special teams TDs after reading the FLS story, but left it alone. Take those away, Chancellor wins handily. And the points that were made about Chancellor "catching" KG on a blitz and the other big plays, that's called good play calling and execution.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1 and Nuke91
@FoxesPride I was at the KG/Chancellor game. I picked a good one! Just wish I didn't miss the Spotsy/Courtland game.
I think you are a little one sided on your other post. It was already shut down so I will comment here. I saw a completely different game than you. KG beat Chancellor on special teams with 2 touchdowns. That's a big advantage and kept KG in the game. Chancellor needs to fix that. As for the flags. Don't blame the ref's. They aren't the ones making the late hits or grabbing face masks that turn the players head backwards. All holding calls were obvious. KG QB had a long time to throw the ball (for good reason), great line. OL just needs to release, move feet and reengage. Might want to watch the outside in cut blocks. Though it wasn't called it is illegal and dangerous. That is a solid OL! KG has a serious discipline issue. They look in the mirror and fix that they will be a heck of a team moving forward. Last comment.. why did #25 only get 3 carries. He was a STUD last year. What changed?
I respect what your saying, my frustration was that KG outgained Chancellor and ended up with 170 yards in penalties. If we hadn't returned a KO for a TD and recovered a fumble in the endzone for a TD we probably would have outgained Chancellor by 150 yards. Most of the penalties were probably legit, I don't doubt that. Calling helmet to helmet on a LB in the B gap is ridiculous, and I'm all for player safety. Not calling an obvious pick play on the two point conversion decided the game. Our OT was called for unnecessary roughness for pushing down a DB with both hands (as they have to do now) before the whistle. Discipline is certainly an issue and needs to be addressed. My point in the other post was to advocate for those boys that work their butts off and rarely get respect on here. This is not "my" team ("my team" is Columbia HS in Lake City, FL and currently ranked 58th in the nation), I don't live vicariously through these kids ...something the other poster was mistaken about. In my opinion KG was the better team and the officials effected the outcome. KG definitely has work to do. #25 has been nursing an injury, not sure what. He has great hands and I think they have been tossing him the ball more than running him. I don't think they will win out except for EV. Spotsy and Courtland may challenge them, but I think Chancellor is ahead of those two.

@Nuke91 I was going to say the same thing about the special teams TDs after reading the FLS story, but left it alone. Take those away, Chancellor wins handily. And the points that were made about Chancellor "catching" KG on a blitz and the other big plays, that's called good play calling.
If Chancellor doesn't snap the ball over the punters head and punts it, KG gets the ball around Chancellor's 40 and if they don't return the KO for a TD, KG could have certainly have scored so I don't understand the logic. Pretty sure special teams is still a part of football...Frank Beamer would agree.

If Chancellor doesn't snap the ball over the punters head and punts it, KG gets the ball around Chancellor's 40 and if they don't return the KO for a TD, KG could have certainly have scored so I don't understand the logic. Pretty sure special teams is still a part of football...Frank Beamer would agree.
I respect what your saying, my frustration was that KG outgained Chancellor and ended up with 170 yards in penalties. If we hadn't returned a KO for a TD and recovered a fumble in the endzone for a TD we probably would have outgained Chancellor by 150 yards. Most of the penalties were probably legit, I don't doubt that. Calling helmet to helmet on a LB in the B gap is ridiculous, and I'm all for player safety. Not calling an obvious pick play on the two point conversion decided the game. Our OT was called for unnecessary roughness for pushing down a DB with both hands (as they have to do now) before the whistle. Discipline is certainly an issue and needs to be addressed. My point in the other post was to advocate for those boys that work their butts off and rarely get respect on here. This is not "my" team ("my team" is Columbia HS in Lake City, FL and currently ranked 58th in the nation), I don't live vicariously through these kids ...something the other poster was mistaken about. In my opinion KG was the better team and the officials effected the outcome. KG definitely has work to do. #25 has been nursing an injury, not sure what. He has great hands and I think they have been tossing him the ball more than running him. I don't think they will win out except for EV. Spotsy and Courtland may challenge them, but I think Chancellor is ahead of those two.
Man.. little bitter on the loss but yet King George isn't your team? For the record, I have 6 teams. Hahah.. Youth football coach that gets paid by watching former players excel on Friday nights. I remember the "OL pushing the db down" way away from the ball when the db stopped as the play was over and no where near the ball. That is called 99% of the time. Just not smart. Special teams created a big momentum swing and why special teams is so important. It kept KG in the game. That is a good thing btw. They didn't move the ball until the second half when they decided to run first against Chancellor's 3-4 defense. Something KG should do more of next week against W&L. Good luck in the game.

Man.. little bitter on the loss but yet King George isn't your team? For the record, I have 6 teams. Hahah.. Youth football coach that gets paid by watching former players excel on Friday nights. I remember the "OL pushing the db down" way away from the ball when the db stopped as the play was over and no where near the ball. That is called 99% of the time. Just not smart. Special teams created a big momentum swing and why special teams is so important. It kept KG in the game. That is a good thing btw. They didn't move the ball until the second half when they decided to run first against Chancellor's 3-4 defense. Something KG should do more of next week against W&L. Good luck in the game.
Thanks, the only thing I will say about the OL was he was down field with his back to the play and doing what he is coached to do...he didn't know where the ball was and the whistle hadn't been blown. I understand player safety, but I think that came down to 320lbs vs 150lbs and it looked bad. I honestly don't take it personal...I am bitter, but it's all about the young men, not me.

Last edited:
I will tell you this. Caroline is tougher than you might think. Courtland will/should win this game this week, but I don't think it will be a push-over. Unfortunately Caroline will be without their starting QB who got ejected on Friday night against EV. When that team takes the field, the "eye-test" tells you they look smaller than a JV team, but they play very tough. The new coach there just may be able to turn that thing around.

I will tell you this. Caroline is tougher than you might think. Courtland will/should win this game this week, but I don't think it will be a push-over. Unfortunately Caroline will be without their starting QB who got ejected on Friday night against EV. When that team takes the field, the "eye-test" tells you they look smaller than a JV team, but they play very tough. The new coach there just may be able to turn that thing around.
I was impressed with their effort last year. They played tough as hell for a team that was outmanned and hadn't experienced much success.

1. Louisa
2. EV
3. Chancellor
4. Monacan
5. Dinwiddie
6. King George
7. Spotsylvania
8. Powhatan
9. Patrick Henry
10. Huguenot
why would you have ch
Louisa freshman QB Landon Wilson's highlights through 4 games and the preseason:

lion that was impressive freshman or not. if he can work on his foot speed he will be awesome the rest of his time but even without that hes gonna make a huge difference on that team.

@racindan4u having Robinson back for the first time helps a lot, hopefully he can stay healthy. I'd love a set of receivers out there of Robinson, Buck & Jarett Hunter, and Alex Washington, with Robbie Morgan or Kalup Shelton at RB. That could be deadly! Plenty of opportunity to test out different lineups in district play.

If you were trying to ask about Chancellor, I took a number of factors into account when making the list. Records, strength of schedule, scores, who they've played and haven't played yet, common opponents, a little bit of eye test, etc. Things will change depending on how everyone does coming up. Monacan still has to play Bird, Powhatan, and Clover Hill, for example. Powhatan hosts Bird this week. Chancellor can definitely drop and the others rise.

Reactions: racindan4u
ill be at the game wed and fri. my nephew plays on jv team. ill be the guy in braves jersey and a limp.

@Nuke91 I was going to say the same thing about the special teams TDs after reading the FLS story, but left it alone. Take those away, Chancellor wins handily. And the points that were made about Chancellor "catching" KG on a blitz and the other big plays, that's called good play calling.
You could flip a coin on EV/Louisa. Both so fundamentally sound with talent everywhere. Louisa appears to be slightly deeper IMO. I just hope they both stay healthy and this game can occur on a dry field.
I will reserve judgement on EV until they play someone with a winning record. We know they are good, but how good? We won't know until they play King George. That should be their first game vs a team with a winning record. Louisa is a no brainer. They checked every box.. they are going to make a deep run in play-offs and maybe.. just maybe this area will have?! Nope, I won't say it. No jinx here.

Reactions: LionNation540
I will reserve judgement on EV until they play someone with a winning record. We know they are good, but how good? We won't know until they play King George. That should be their first game vs a team with a winning record. Louisa is a no brainer. They checked every box.. they are going to make a deep run in play-offs and maybe.. just maybe this area will have?! Nope, I won't say it. No jinx here.
Louisa has 1 game on their schedule that makes it tougher than EV's....Massaponax. Great win for them. Here's a question...is it better to have your schedule tougher during the first few games of the season, or the last few games of the season? Louisa's tough games all came the first few weeks. The rest of the way is pretty much a cake-walk for them until the playoffs. EV has had a cake-walk so far. Their tougher games all came during the last few weeks of the season.

Well I already said it a few weeks ago, so you're good haha. Ponax is capable of doing the same in Class 6, especially if they stay healthy and get their best runner back before the Forge game. That O line is vicious every single play, no plays off. I hope to go to that Forge game and see how their pass defense handles QB Madden Lowe. He might be the best in the state this year.

KG has to play disciplined against EV or they will get crushed.

I think Louisa's defense would give EV QB Butler even more problems than Lowry had last year, especially with EV's O line being not quite as good as last year's. Hopefully the field isn't a factor for either team this time.

Last edited:
Well I already said it a few weeks ago, so you're good haha. Ponax is capable of doing the same in Class 6, especially if they stay healthy and get their best runner back before the Forge game. That O line is vicious every single play, no plays off. I hope to go to that Forge game and see how their pass defense handles QB Madden Lowe. He might be the best in the state this year.

KG has to play disciplined against EV or they will get crushed.

I think Louisa's defense would give EV QB Butler even more problems than Lowry had last year, especially with EV's O line being not quite as good as last year's. Hopefully the field isn't a factor for either team this time.
Man you mention the field conditions a lot! I assume the conditions were the same on EVs side? Give it a rest. We get your implication...even if a sloppy field probably hindered EV more.

Reactions: WP02alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT