ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Polls

I think you are talking about the VHSL HELPER rankings that are terrible. They are made up of an estimate of wins over time.

Reactions: WarrentonCougar21
Unfortunately, district and region bias would get in the way. Happens during the all disrict, region and state teams all the time. Virginia used to have an AP Poll back in the day. It was fairly accurate too. Problem is newspaper staff are virtually non existent nowdays and the press doesnt cover high school football like they used to.

Last edited:
I used to vote in the high school football AP poll when I worked at a radio station that was an AP subscriber. The advent of the internet and decline in truly local radio and newspaper killed AP as it was known.

My vote back in the day was both biased and ignorant. So I am not sure doing it on here would be any worse.

I used to vote in the high school football AP poll when I worked at a radio station that was an AP subscriber. The advent of the internet and decline in truly local radio and newspaper killed AP as it was known.
The death of the AP coverage of HS sports was largely due to the retirement and then passing of Marshall Johnson. Even after he retired, he was instrumental in getting the polls and post season teams done. Once he passed away, even the AP All State teams stopped. I think 2010 was the last year that they were done. Mr. Johnson was a treasure.

https://www.richmond.com/obituaries...cle_adb65a1b-8108-5d0e-bcaa-17151edbeb2f.html

The death of the AP coverage of HS sports was largely due to the retirement and then passing of Marshall Johnson. Even after he retired, he was instrumental in getting the polls and post season teams done. Once he passed away, even the AP All State teams stopped. I think 2010 was the last year that they were done. Mr. Johnson was a treasure.

https://www.richmond.com/obituaries...cle_adb65a1b-8108-5d0e-bcaa-17151edbeb2f.html

Oh wow! This is great history lesson for all of us. Thank you very much for the post.

Reactions: LancerDad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT