ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations To Tuscarora; Great Job, Salem

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
Congratulations to the Huskies on a good win. You have an excellent team, and will be tough to beat. Best of luck next week in keeping the championship on the C/D side of the state.

And, congratulations to the Spartans for another great year. This old dude in the stands appreciates all your hard work and dedication. Thanks for a memorable 2019 season!

I second that sentiment. Tuscarora is very balanced and will be tough next week.

I'm very proud of the Spartans' effort this year! After getting knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round last year, they did an amazing job of making it to the semifinals for the 7th time in the last 8 years.

Salem just had no answer for Duke on offense and Fitz on defense. Huge days for both of those guys.

Salem scored 10 points with a short field after turnovers, and had a 72 yard touchdown pass. Tuscarora did a good job of shutting down the “three headed monster” that was mentioned earlier in the week. Turnover wise Tuscarora forced a pick, two fumbles (one recovered) and three TODs.

Gick shook off a rough start (a fumble and int before he had a completion) and had a serviceable day. Duke was dominant with 3 rushing TDs in the first half.

Tuscarora was the more physical team and had the big plays as well. 49 yard TD pass, 2 rushing TDs over 50 and a 90 yard kick return that came up just short.

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
Both teams were physical. Similar to the Martinsburg game, though not to that extent, Tuscarora had more size and skill on both lines than Salem did. The team that controls the lines usually wins the game, and that was the case today. Salem managed to force a couple of Husky turnovers. Salem’s best drive was its first of the game, as the Spartans went 64 yards, all on running plays, down to the Tuscarora one-yard line - then failed to punch it in on fourth down. Getting denied there kind of set the tone for the game.

Last edited:
Great win for Tuscarora... they were clearly the better team. Absolutely whipped Salem up front on both sides of the ball. In fact, this was probably the most dominant DL performance I have seen against a Salem OL in a very long time... especially the second half.

They are just so good in so many areas and like I mentioned earlier, they are the best coached team that I have seen this year.

Back from Salem and what a great experience.

That was my first time in Salem Stadium and it's an amazing venue for high school football. Perfect weather and friendly Salem fans made for a great day. The Tusky tailgate got set up around 11:30 and there were already Salem faithful tailgating across the lot.

I think the game was summarized well above. After a few early game turnovers led to 10 Salem points, Tusky settled and played very well in all aspects of the game. As noted the DL did a great job. I had to laugh at one point in the 2nd half when the very good stadium announcer was trying so hard not to get frustrated and just call the game, but broke down and said in a slow and exacerbated tone, "the Spartans try to run off tackle and AGAIN #56 Fitz stops him behind the line".

While Tusky has some studs, to me what makes them special is how they play as team and this is completely because of how they are coached. The OL and receiver TEAM blocking is nearly perfect, Center/QB/RB exchange and decision making is next level, the defensive schemes and swarming defense is stifling, and special teams are a difference maker. I know coaches like to humbly say players win games and coaches lose them, but no doubt Tusky players AND coaches are winning these games.

Great game played by Tuscarora. Hats off to the huskies and I hope they can find a way to win next week. As for next year for the Spartans, I do believe that a quarterback change might be necessary to consider. I think that #11 needs to be given a chance. I have no lost love for #5, I just think he has a hard time holding on to the ball that’s all. Tuscarora truly is a great team, I was pleased to see how well they controlled themself in this game with such a big atmosphere in front of them. I know how high school football playoffs is and I know how devastating a loss can be if your a senior. I am good buddies with #3 Chase Ferris who was a wideout. Worked with him over the summer at my summer job. It absolutely tore me up inside to see him crying on the sideline after the game. To get to a state semifinal is an accomplishment in its self. It’s hard enough to get there. But these seniors need to realize that they should not mourn that it’s over, but to be glad that they got to make these fond memories these past four years with their forever friends. I love #3 Ferris, will be my buddy for life. It’s just unfortunate he will never step on that field again in the maroon and white. Good Luck to Tuscarora! Bring that first state championship to Leesburg, VA! Congratulations.

Reactions: Unc1ejimmy
Back from Salem and what a great experience.

That was my first time in Salem Stadium and it's an amazing venue for high school football. Perfect weather and friendly Salem fans made for a great day. The Tusky tailgate got set up around 11:30 and there were already Salem faithful tailgating across the lot.

I think the game was summarized well above. After a few early game turnovers led to 10 Salem points, Tusky settled and played very well in all aspects of the game. As noted the DL did a great job. I had to laugh at one point in the 2nd half when the very good stadium announcer was trying so hard not to get frustrated and just call the game, but broke down and said in a slow and exacerbated tone, "the Spartans try to run off tackle and AGAIN #56 Fitz stops him behind the line".

While Tusky has some studs, to me what makes them special is how they play as team and this is completely because of how they are coached. The OL and receiver TEAM blocking is nearly perfect, Center/QB/RB exchange and decision making is next level, the defensive schemes and swarming defense is stifling, and special teams are a difference maker. I know coaches like to humbly say players win games and coaches lose them, but no doubt Tusky players AND coaches are winning these games.
Coached for 5 years at King George and I can tell you that Tuscarora was the best coached team we faced during that time. They are the kind of kids that pancake you and then kindly help you up. 0 attitude, all respect, that comes from coaching (and good parenting).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT