ADVERTISEMENT

Dunk by McClung on Ridgeview. You have got to see it. Between the legs.

lucustookis

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 7, 2007
Bull Island, VA
GC up 74-46 on Ridgeview at the end of 3. I'm watching on Ballislife livestream. McClung has 40 points at the end of 3, but he had one of the sickest dunks I've ever seen at the High School Level. I'm sure you will see the clip. This one will be shown many, many times. It has to be his best High School Dunk. There's just no way to top something like that.

GC up by 31, McClung, Ervin, and Dean all pulled with around 6:30 minutes to 6:00 minutes left, and in my opinion, very reasonable. You have got to let the kids play at least 3 quarters, and he gives a couple minutes in the fourth, then out. I would do the exact same thing. McClung finished with 43 or 45 points. I'm not sure.

GC up by 31, McClung, Ervin, and Dean all pulled with around 6:30 minutes to 6:00 minutes left, and in my opinion, very reasonable. You have got to let the kids play at least 3 quarters, and he gives a couple minutes in the fourth, then out. I would do the exact same thing. McClung finished with 43 or 45 points. I'm not sure.
I've seen a lot of dunks at the high school level over the years and this one tops them all. To do it in a game and pull it off is amazing.

And then he just skips up the court.............
McClung is one heck of a player. I've said since the beginning of the season that Gate City is the team to beat in 2A. But, I don't like the showboating this time. I am definitely pulling for whoever (Radford, Dan River, Martinsville, Graham) to knock GC out in the states and send him skipping back home. And if Lee and GC would happen to meet again this season, I hope Vaughan slams a few in a repeat of last season's outcome.

McClung is one heck of a player. I've said since the beginning of the season that Gate City is the team to beat in 2A. But, I don't like the showboating this time. I am definitely pulling for whoever (Radford, Dan River, Martinsville, Graham) to knock GC out in the states and send him skipping back home. And if Lee and GC would happen to meet again this season, I hope Vaughan slams a few in a repeat of last season's outcome.
There’s Baker Mayfield cockiness and then there’s having fun like Mac is. This young man is a baaaaaad dude.

Reactions: uvacavs1 and eh31
I agree. I don't think he showboated. That's a monumental moment for any player and that play is something this kid has tried to achieve for probably a long time and he pulled it out. I think they should have rang the dang buzzer and called a game stoppage for the fans to get their breath. That was an absolutely wicked dunk.

Haters gonna hate....Life goes on...ObLa Di Ob La Da......Kids gonna be Kids....appreciate, acknowledge the young man’s talent and enthusiasm and move on.

Reactions: eh31

Yep gonna skip straight to Division 1 Georgetown. How many kids from any of those schools can say that? Zero...

Rooting against someone because he shrugged and smiled after he did something you could do... hating
I don't have a passionate dislike for McClung. Rooting for some other team to win because of my perceived showboating in this game does not mean I hate him or Gate City.

Reactions: eastspartan
Very impressive, i remember seeing tyler crawford of Lee do this years ago. He was a hoya as well.

Other plays from the game vs. Ridgeview... crazy that Ridgeview actually led 20-15 after 1 quarter

You got to love it why not showboat nothing wrong with that senior year gotta have fun this is a special kid with amazing dunks and I’m on the GC & MCclung band wagon and hope to see them in Richmond I see on a lot of social media SITES people being negative towards him doubters that’s real hate but there looking past the bigger picture he’s going to Georgetown for and education as well he’ll be fine let the man shine!!!!! I’m a 1A guy but follow a little of 2A

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
That dunk was shown on ESPN ( Highly Questionable ) 2day.

He's certainly not the greatest dunker ever. That would be hyperbole and then some. What he is.........for a 6'1 guard, he's among the best ever in Virginia for that height at dunking the basketball. Again, certainly not the best ever in VA, but for a 6'1 height and below, he's probably top 3. Keep in mind, Michael Porter from Pulaski back in the 80s won the National High School All American Dunk Contest in San Antonio in 1986ish. Porter was a High School All American and 5'11, and went on to play at St Johns in the old Big East and started three years. He could jump plum out of the gym, and he has a trophy against the best competition to show for it.

He's certainly not the greatest dunker ever. That would be hyperbole and then some. What he is.........for a 6'1 guard, he's among the best ever in Virginia for that height at dunking the basketball. Again, certainly not the best ever in VA, but for a 6'1 height and below, he's probably top 3. Keep in mind, Michael Porter from Pulaski back in the 80s won the National High School All American Dunk Contest in San Antonio in 1986ish. Porter was a High School All American and 5'11, and went on to play at St Johns in the old Big East and started three years. He could jump plum out of the gym, and he has a trophy against the best competition to show for it.
1985 had three McDonald's All-Americans from Virginia. All of them right off I81, Walker Lambiotte (Central-Woodstock), Kevin Madden (R.E.Lee-Staunton), and Michael Porter (Pulaski). Porter won the dunk contest at the Capital Classic, then repeated at Dallas in the McDonald's two weeks later. Lambiotte was named MVP for the game, scoring 24 points. Both the dunk contest and game can be seen on YouTube.

1985 had three McDonald's All-Americans from Virginia. All of them right off I81, Walker Lambiotte (Central-Woodstock), Kevin Madden (R.E.Lee-Staunton), and Michael Porter (Pulaski). Porter won the dunk contest at the Capital Classic, then repeated at Dallas in the McDonald's two weeks later. Lambiotte was named MVP for the game, scoring 24 points. Both the dunk contest and game can be seen on YouTube.

I remember Lambiotte well, and of course, I remember Kevin Madden in High School, and followed him closely at UNC of which he was a stud and All-ACC and honorable mention All-American.

I remember Lambiotte well, and of course, I remember Kevin Madden in High School, and followed him closely at UNC of which he was a stud and All-ACC and honorable mention All-American.
Lambiotte and Madden battled in the Valley District. The scoring title went to the last game, with Madden finishing on top, 28.1 to 28.0 per game. Madden started three seasons at UNC, but J.R.Reid was the main man. Madden's junior season, Reid got injured and Madden led the team in scoring until Reid returned late in the season. That was when Madden was 2nd team all-ACC and HM all-american. Madden blew out his knee right after UNC upset #1 Oklahoma in the NCAA tournament his senior season.Took him a year or so to recover, and cost him his chance to be drafted in the NBA.

Talford was well about 6'1. I think he was 6'3, no doubt Telford was a great dunker and player, and he had an insane vertical, he was well above 6'1. I was referring to players 6'1 or less and their dunking skills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT