ADVERTISEMENT

EASTERN VIEW @ COURTLAND! WHO WINS?

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
The big game this week in the battlefield district is Eastern View at Courtland! For whats its worth the winner of this game will probably win the district. The cyclones have not really been challenged this year but in my opinion they will be friday night at Courtland! I believe that Courtland will pull the upset and this is why? After that terrible loss to Louisa the cougars are on a mission. That loss will do them more good than hurting them. They was defeated bad by the View 55 to 13 last season and they will be out for revenge that loss! Another reason why i pick the upset is the game is in the cougars den and that is worth 3 points! Also most important the cougars had a bye this week to prepare for EV! SO add all these intangable things up and Courtland runs ball controll and keep the ball away from that EV powerful offense even though EV looks a little better on paper the Cougars get the upset 28 to 21.There is my prediction where is yours? Courtland will have to control Trey Holmes and make few mistakes to win! There is my prediction. Where is yours?

Last edited:
EV wins this one. Courtland has very good athletes and a good defense...BUT THEY HAVE TO MIX IT UP ON OFFENSE!!! What I seen in the Louisa game just doesn’t convince that they will be a match for any of the big boys in Region B. Courtland certainly has the talent to win this game.

Reactions: VAHSFB2000
EV wins this one. Courtland has very good athletes and a good defense...BUT THEY HAVE TO MIX IT UP ON OFFENSE!!! What I seen in the Louisa game just doesn’t convince that they will be a match for any of the big boys in Region B. Courtland certainly has the talent to win this game.

The problem for Courtland is the EV offense. Even if the teams are fairly evenly matched, the EV offensive brand is so explosive they could easily win by 3-4 touchdowns despite the fact that it is relatively even. Of coarse... that is if the talent level is actually even in the first place. Throw is a kick return or a defensive TD here or there and it’s no turning back. I do think Courtland has a pretty good ball club but I am going to take EV by 3 TD’s. EV is more tried and trued in my eyes.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Barring anything else crazy happening, Albemarle plays today, therefore they will play Louisa on Saturday. I may come check out this game. I want to see if Courtland really is a different team from the one that played Louisa, or if it's just even more big talk from that one poster. I also haven't seen EV in person since 2012. It'll be interesting to see if Courtland actually opens up the offense more after last week's bye, it seems they did that a bit against Stafford. IMO this will be a good game, especially if Courtland lets QB Shyheem Lewis loose. The Cougars will have to contain the edges. They blitzed the edges right much against Louisa and had some success. If Lowry or Holmes get outside, it's lights out. The Cougar O line also needs to step up, stay on their blocks and not be lackadaisical. If Orange's O line could open holes against EV's defense, Courtland's definitely can. EV will need to be disciplined and not let Zin White get outside or break tackles. If they contain White and force the other Cougars to try to beat them, EV most likely wins. Finally, Courtland's conditioning needs to be watched closely. Hopefully Courtland has learned something from last year's EV game, and will be ready this time. This game is a perfect storm in the waiting and can shake up Region 4B.

I might be wrong, but I see EV winning this one big. I was surprised this wasn't a game on the Pickem list.

Barring anything else crazy happening, Albemarle plays today, therefore they will play Louisa on Saturday. I may come check out this game. I want to see if Courtland really is a different team from the one that played Louisa, or if it's just even more big talk from that one poster. I also haven't seen EV in person since 2012. It'll be interesting to see if Courtland actually opens up the offense more after last week's bye, it seems they did that a bit against Stafford. IMO this will be a good game, especially if Courtland lets QB Shyheem Lewis loose. The Cougars will have to contain the edges. They blitzed the edges right much against Louisa and had some success. If Lowry or Holmes get outside, it's lights out. The Cougar O line also needs to step up, stay on their blocks and not be lackadaisical. If Orange's O line could open holes against EV's defense, Courtland's definitely can. EV will need to be disciplined and not let Zin White get outside or break tackles. If they contain White and force the other Cougars to try to beat them, EV most likely wins. Finally, Courtland's conditioning needs to be watched closely. Hopefully Courtland has learned something from last year's EV game, and will be ready this time. This game is a perfect storm in the waiting and can shake up Region 4B.

@anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b who do you have in this one and by how much? You can't drop that nugget without a giving me a final. Let's hear it :)

If the team that shows up that played Louisa I say 42-0. If a new and improved team like the old Courtland teams I say 35-21 EV or this game turns into a shootout

Reactions: mbonape1
That poster is back! Look this will be a great game, being xompletly transparent Cougars were missing 6 starters foe the first 2 games and got two defensive ones vack for the Stafford game. This will not be like last year, when we also had 3 defensive guys out for disciplinary reasons which hurt. We will give up a few points, however, I firmly believe we control the clock and run all night long. EV is a more quick strike team, so Courtland I believe will prezsure Lowery into a few mistakes and will keep tabs on the RB. You are right though, gotta let Saheem loose and allow him to run, he is the fastest person on the field every friday night. Cougars have the more formidable running game even though Holmes is very good. The Cougar cover 2 defense is the key, give up a few completions but dont allow the big plays for easy scores. Turnovers and penalties play a big role, who wins that area wins this game. Ultimately, coach Hall has to be more crestive and not so predictable even with those horses in the backfield.

That poster is back! Look this will be a great game, being xompletly transparent Cougars were missing 6 starters foe the first 2 games and got two defensive ones vack for the Stafford game. This will not be like last year, when we also had 3 defensive guys out for disciplinary reasons which hurt. We will give up a few points, however, I firmly believe we control the clock and run all night long. EV is a more quick strike team, so Courtland I believe will prezsure Lowery into a few mistakes and will keep tabs on the RB. You are right though, gotta let Saheem loose and allow him to run, he is the fastest person on the field every friday night. Cougars have the more formidable running game even though Holmes is very good. The Cougar cover 2 defense is the key, give up a few completions but dont allow the big plays for easy scores. Turnovers and penalties play a big role, who wins that area wins this game. Ultimately, coach Hall has to be more crestive and not so predictable even with those horses in the backfield.
Are you referencing yourself as shauntclair is back?

I agree Courtland has to slow down the game because eastern view is such a quick strike team. Their screen game the past few year have been outstanding. With courtland winning two in a row this could be a game if they put everything together. I say could because we don't know what team will come out there friday. If they play like they did against louisa they get demolished. According to VHSL reference courtland is up in the series 6-1 so they have had great gameplans/players in the past to beat them. IMO EV 24-14

Are you referencing yourself as shauntclair is back?
Him disappearing for weeks and then shooting up those injury numbers to 6 is vintage shauntclair.

I'm going with Courtland 28-24. And I saw that lineman Stallings of EV plays at Episcopal in Alexandria now.

Last edited:
I assure you not Shauntclair! Former player with couple rings from the 80's. Love of the game and school, especually the history. Fun to speak with new folks to the area whi are unaware of all the success from many moons ago. Went on long vacation across country thats why gone foe awhile, wife wouldnt let me look, text, or watch football all cell phones off! The 6 guys out is the truth for the first 2-3 games. 3 offense and 3 defense, we were in bad shape agianst Louisa, worse than I new and boy did it show. But damn, Louisa came ready to play and we were just out gunned on that first night. Anyways, all healthy now so lets see what happens, gotta not give up long scoring passes, I truly think we are going to control the game and defense has to show up and play to thier level of athleticism. If offense is sluggish and D is on field alot, 4th quarter could be not so good, but really dont think that will happen. I believe the D efense will harras Lowery all night, 2-3 sacks and at least one INT. ???

Yeah early on when EV was just getting going Ct had thier number. Were so much more physical than they were then and in 2015 when we beat them in playoffs. Revmcentyly they have had very good players enter the program and Hatfield is a great coach who righted the ship. Things have changed over the past 2-3 years and are more even now, so I would say EV has finally arrived.

No ,have to diagree, the game was bad, from the game plan , coaching just everything was off, heck the cannon even misfired! We put up a spirited fight for 11/2 quarters, but the score fron 15 yards out with 6 secobds ledt was a back breaker, only 7-0 at that point, then all of a sudden its 14-0 @ half. We only had Zin, and were missing two best O-lineman. JC was calling an incredibly vanillia offense and Lions with ears pinned back were just keying in Zin. Second half we brought in a bunch of youngsters, one a Soph who stood maybe 5'9 and was covering the 6'11 WR and gave up easy easy lob TD. fully heathy, it would be nip and tuck for 4 quarters.

No one is getting smacked in this game. EV isn't the same team as last year, and Courtland will look to prove that. That 34-0 blanking of 3-1 Stafford by the Cougars was a statement. This will feel like a playoff game.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for your team, but reality is you have to catch up . EV and Louisa are top notch 4A football teams , Courtland is NOT there at this time in my opinion . These are
No one is getting smacked in this game. EV isn't the same team as last year, and Courtland will look to prove that. That 34-0 blanking of 3-1 Stafford by the Cougars was a statement. This will feel like a playoff game.
disagree , EV wins easy. But that’s why they play the games .

This will be the first legit team EV plays, and we have yet to see how EV's new and inexperienced guys will respond.

This will be the first legit team EV plays, and we have yet to see how EV's new and inexperienced guys will respond.
I agree with you on that , but EV has a strong oline, and quality QB. And in my opinion coaching from Hatfield will be a big difference . I like EV big , could for sure be wrong , but I like EV as the second or third best team in the East still. Just like last year. They are on a different level now in my opinion. Honestly , I watched the highlight of LT vs Maury , wasn’t impressed . I have Louisa as the best team in the East right now.

You are probably right, but programs come and go. Go for few years then a couple lean years, Salem is an unprecedented exception with the run they have had. However, they are hitting little bit of a wall this year? Louisa 4-5 years ago stunk and Ct beat them like 4 years in a row and they were not close. Since then they have had a very nuxe run wuth good players abd having Smith took them over the hump. They have another solud season in them next year, but then will more than likely take a steo back Courtland 3 years ago got decimated by graduation and hit a bit of a dry spell with talented players. But have since went shopping and fill the JV program with very good players. Its all eb and flow, EV, will fall back even more next year as Ct will move forward as an ed ven more improved team, alot of talent coming into the school. Everyone experiences some down times, it happens to the best of programs. Not sure how much it effects anything but both Louisa and EV have close to 250 more students than Ct, and where our school is located sandwiched between another 4a,5a, and 6 a school we hold our own oretty well. JC is a great coach but sure wish he would become a little more offensively minded, and use his talent players more effectively

Good luck Courtland , had a hard time following your post but I get the message . Yes every team has down years , BUT , great teams are good every year . Maybe not champ caliber , but close every year. Courtland has to beat a champ caliber team to recognized. Beat EV , you got some respect .

My call, if Cougars can keep the QB in check and fluster him which I thibk we will do by blitzing the day lights out of him. Ct D line matches up well and our starting LB's are back on the field chomping at the bit ready to go. Will see, but offense has definitely got to allow defense some rest.

Understood and agree with you. Yeah this texting stuff, misspell alot of words with this auto correct feature, So appologise! Even if we drop this game, we will run the table and enter playoffs as a dangerous club that very well could take one or two games.

Louisa 4-5 years ago stunk and Ct beat them like 4 years in a row and they were not close. Since then they have had a very nuxe run wuth good players abd having Smith took them over the hump. They have another solud season in them next year, but then will more than likely take a steo back.
Wishful thinking, the Lion JV has an 8th grader pocket passing QB and 9th grader RB who could start on varsity right now. Both are big time. Courtland JV does have talent, so this rivalry should be good for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamspear
You are probably right, but programs come and go. Go for few years then a couple lean years, Salem is an unprecedented exception with the run they have had. However, they are hitting little bit of a wall this year? Louisa 4-5 years ago stunk and Ct beat them like 4 years in a row and they were not close. Since then they have had a very nuxe run wuth good players abd having Smith took them over the hump. They have another solud season in them next year, but then will more than likely take a steo back Courtland 3 years ago got decimated by graduation and hit a bit of a dry spell with talented players. But have since went shopping and fill the JV program with very good players. Its all eb and flow, EV, will fall back even more next year as Ct will move forward as an ed ven more improved team, alot of talent coming into the school. Everyone experiences some down times, it happens to the best of programs. Not sure how much it effects anything but both Louisa and EV have close to 250 more students than Ct, and where our school is located sandwiched between another 4a,5a, and 6 a school we hold our own oretty well. JC is a great coach but sure wish he would become a little more offensively minded, and use his talent players more effectively
A few comments. Don't count on EV falling back next year. JV is very good (beat your Cougars on Wednesday) and several underclassmen are making contributions on varsity now. I think several of you guys down-play EV's running game. I think that, more-so than the pass, will cause problems for Courtland. One other point (I'm looking for other opinions on this)...not trying to throw shade on Hall, but I see him being referred to as a "great" coach. I'm not in that group. I would say he's a good coach. From what I can tell, Courtland hasn't played in a state title game since '89 unless I'm overlooking something. I think he's done a fine job over the years, but I wouldn't consider him "great". Seems to be too one dimensional considering some of the talent that's rolled through there.

Reactions: OCBoy
Apparently the JV game between them was a good one this year, one point Ct win. I believe JC wants to continue playing the Lions each year, great program, close for travel, and secretly I think he enjoys playing at the JUNGLE!

Understood, and would mildly agree, maybe great for the kids, as they really like plaing for him, i had said earlier that he needed to be more offensive oriented going forwsrds. In preseason they ran all sotrs of new offensive sets that looked good, but once season started reverted back to the same style. When you are getting stonewalled during a game, you have to be able to change gears, go to plan B, mix things up. We had a 3rd abd 11 agianst Louusa at midfield and ran a fulback run up the middle for 3 yards why?? Anyway, the JV game was 12-6 EV. I know we have moved 3-4 of the more promissing JV players up recently so several freshman getting to play alot of reps CT last state title was 1987, my senior year, that was a great ride playing ball on that team. Beat John Marshal 21-7!

Understood, and would mildly agree, maybe great for the kids, as they really like plaing for him, i had said earlier that he needed to be more offensive oriented going forwsrds. In preseason they ran all sotrs of new offensive sets that looked good, but once season started reverted back to the same style. When you are getting stonewalled during a game, you have to be able to change gears, go to plan B, mix things up. We had a 3rd abd 11 agianst Louusa at midfield and ran a fulback run up the middle for 3 yards why?? Anyway, the JV game was 12-6 EV. I know we have moved 3-4 of the more promissing JV players up recently so several freshman getting to play alot of reps CT last state title was 1987, my senior year, that was a great ride playing ball on that team. Beat John Marshal 21-7!
Oh I remember the 80's well. My Blue Devils never could get the best of y'all back then. Never wanted to see RA get the hand-off. Again...not criticizing coach as a person. I'm sure the players got his back all the way. Just looking at W's and L's. Now your coach Ken Brown is legendary.

Reactions: 7time
He was and will always will be, he passed last year so mis seeing him sitting in the end zone with the other coaches from tose 80 years. Yes, RA was a load and CA was hell of a running back. Wish we could have those teams playing teams from today, be neat ti see how they would stack up

And Culpeper was no joke back then and Orange too! The old Battlefield was the best district, , skobberknocker every friday night.
Yes...I still think Louisa should be part of the Battlefield now. Not sure if you're aware of this website or not: http://www.fourseasonsfootball.com/ You can go back and see all the old scores of the games you played in back in the 80's...good website.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT