ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern View Survives Patrick Henry (and the cold)

Aug 11, 2014
This was mostly like all the games we've played this year. If anything slowed us down, the cold did more than PH's defense. They had no answer for the run game and we really could have just kept on running it and running it. We actually had more mistakes than we have had in other games and a few penalties kept a drive alive for them that almost led to another score. Their first score was on a broken coverage, no one covered the RB down the field. They could not run on us, certainly not up the middle. Running clock a few minutes into the third :) 54-6 final.
I will say this was a very emotionally charged team and they were doing their best to start things on the field. They would push kids after plays and even in warm ups one of their players had to be pulled away from one of ours. I'm not sure if that was part of the game plan or not but this was a very undisciplined team. The ref's finally pulled the teams together to get them to knock it off. At one point one of their kids was jarring with a ref. After that, things settled down.
Two things they kept getting flagged for.. the QB likes to start moving forward before the ball is snapped on his QB keepers (that was obvious on film as well). Also, they would brake the offensive huddle with 12 a lot.. then a kid would run off. they did it a few times in the first quarter and it wasn't called, finally they started calling that. Not sure what that was all about.
Anyway, decent team, same story. On to the big one...

I was at the game. Very fair assessment. The young QB for EV managed the game well and didn’t make any mistakes. The one thing I noticed was the snaps from center were high at times throwing off some timing.

I will tell all of you this. Dago Hunter is the real deal! He is special to watch. No one really talks about his defense ability. At 5 feet and maybe 7 inches looking at him you say no way. But tonight he was special stripping a WR down field and taking it the other way before anyone knew what was going on. And on offense he touches the ball and he is gone.
Been around High School football along time. He is one of the most special players I have seen. I think the EV fans are so used to watching him do things like this for 4 years on the varsity level they take his special play as normal, but it’s not. Him and Holmes are a nasty one two punch.

I will certainly make the trip to Dinwiddie. It will be a fun night.

This was mostly like all the games we've played this year. If anything slowed us down, the cold did more than PH's defense. They had no answer for the run game and we really could have just kept on running it and running it. We actually had more mistakes than we have had in other games and a few penalties kept a drive alive for them that almost led to another score. Their first score was on a broken coverage, no one covered the RB down the field. They could not run on us, certainly not up the middle. Running clock a few minutes into the third :) 54-6 final.
I will say this was a very emotionally charged team and they were doing their best to start things on the field. They would push kids after plays and even in warm ups one of their players had to be pulled away from one of ours. I'm not sure if that was part of the game plan or not but this was a very undisciplined team. The ref's finally pulled the teams together to get them to knock it off. At one point one of their kids was jarring with a ref. After that, things settled down.
Two things they kept getting flagged for.. the QB likes to start moving forward before the ball is snapped on his QB keepers (that was obvious on film as well). Also, they would brake the offensive huddle with 12 a lot.. then a kid would run off. they did it a few times in the first quarter and it wasn't called, finally they started calling that. Not sure what that was all about.
Anyway, decent team, same story. On to the big one...
How about that goal line stand right before half

Reactions: washwell
That was special. Certainly a heck of a stand. Looked like that ball was 6 inches from the goal line for 3 plays in a row.

That was special. Certainly a heck of a stand. Looked like that ball was 6 inches from the goal line for 3 plays in a row.
Was way more than 3 plays. PA was inside the five for like 6 plays due to penalties it seemed.

Yes could have given them hope if they scored. never should have been there in the first place. Couple of roughing the passer calls. not sure I understand those calls this isn't the NFL they were bang bang. But yeah it tested us a bit inside the 5. They had some big boys too.

Reactions: OCBoy
Yes could have given them hope if they scored. never should have been there in the first place. Couple of roughing the passer calls. not sure I understand those calls this isn't the NFL they were bang bang. But yeah it tested us a bit inside the 5. They had some big boys too.
EV was very physical tonight and laid the wood several times on several different players

Two things they kept getting flagged for.. the QB likes to start moving forward before the ball is snapped on his QB keepers (that was obvious on film as well). Also, they would brake the offensive huddle with 12 a lot.. then a kid would run off. they did it a few times in the first quarter and it wasn't called, finally they started calling that.

Neither of those 2 things are a foul how you’ve described them. For the first one, was the QB under center or shotgun? How many “steps” forward were taken by the QB before the center began his arm motion for the snap?

For the 2nd part, “breaking the huddle with 12” is cringeworthy commentary to the ear of high school officials. It’s like saying “tie goes to the runner” in baseball; it’s a fallacy. That rule is used on saturdays and sundays, not on fridays. On Friday we don’t care how many players break the huddle. There are a set of circumstances that must be met for it to be illegal substitution, and breaking the huddle with 12 is not one of them.

Reactions: southbottomU
No doubt about Dago’s abilities, Liberty hosts a 7v7 two hand touch in the spring ... you should see that dude work in that.... like some of these guys (Need more than 2 hands)

He was in shotgun and prior to the snap he was leaning and rocking forward in anticipation of the snap. That gets called on Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays. If a player is in motion which the QB was that motion can’t be towards the line of scrimmage at the snap. The EV RB got called for the same thing tonight by the refs.

He was in shotgun and prior to the snap he was leaning and rocking forward in anticipation of the snap. That gets called on Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays. If a player is in motion which the QB was that motion can’t be towards the line of scrimmage at the snap. The EV RB got called for the same thing tonight by the refs.

A QB leaning forward in anticipation of the snap is not called on Friday (meaning it shouldn’t be) and in most circumstances not on Saturday. Leaning forward is much, much different than actually moving, as in taking steps, toward the line of scrimmage at the time of the snap. That is what’s called on Friday’s, Saturdays, and Sundays. Not leaning right before he receives the snap. That is way too picky and good officials leave that alone. I would need to see the video, but from how it’s being worded that’s nothing. If the RB got called for leaning forward, that should’ve been a false start not illegal motion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirduke5
I have seen it called in Pop Warner games. Lol. It was called both ways tonight. Both teams got penalized for it. It’s part of the game. However it certainly had no impact on the final result as EV tonight was the better team and deserved the win.

I have seen it called in Pop Warner games. Lol. It was called both ways tonight. Both teams got penalized for it. It’s part of the game. However it certainly had no impact on the final result as EV tonight was the better team and deserved the win.

You should know pop warner games don’t usually have the highest quality officials as those guys are usually busy on college fields on Saturdays. There are misinterpretations even amongst us sports officials. I agree it didn’t have an impact from the score, but the point is it’s not a foul and shouldn’t be called.

Neither of those 2 things are a foul how you’ve described them. For the first one, was the QB under center or shotgun? How many “steps” forward were taken by the QB before the center began his arm motion for the snap?

For the 2nd part, “breaking the huddle with 12” is cringeworthy commentary to the ear of high school officials. It’s like saying “tie goes to the runner” in baseball; it’s a fallacy. That rule is used on saturdays and sundays, not on fridays. On Friday we don’t care how many players break the huddle. There are a set of circumstances that must be met for it to be illegal substitution, and breaking the huddle with 12 is not one of them.

Sorry Let me explain that more. The rule actually says a replaced player needs to leave immediately (interrupted as 3 to 5 seconds). What they were doing was sending in a replacement. They both would stay in the huddle then after breaking the huddle the replaced player would leave. The actual call is illegal substitution. Not sure why we really needed to go in to that, but that's what the rule used to be and I believe still is. As far as the leaning goes or moving forward.. I have seen that called for the past 7 years. Our RB Kube used to get flagged for that like three times a game. It certainly looks like illegal motion to me. Not sure why it wouldn't be. But I'm not an official.

A player on the field doesn’t become a replaced player until one of 5 things happen by the entering substitute to make himself a “player” by definition. Once the player becomes a replaced player, he then has 3 (not 5) seconds to leave the field. 3 seconds is a rule, not an “interpretation.” Again, breaking the huddle with 12 is not a foul, so let’s not call it that.

Again, just because you’ve been flagged for it doesn’t make it a foul. Misinterpretations happen. This has been a ruling by many higher ups in the NFHS circle as well as state interpreters. Leaning by the player receiving the snap is not in and of itself a foul. If a RB (who’s not in position to receive the snap and is presumably in a set position) is leaning, that’s a false start not illegal motion.

I’m just saying this because you brought up the officiating and things getting or not getting called. If you want to do that, just make sure it’s right.

Last edited:
You should know pop warner games don’t usually have the highest quality officials as those guys are usually busy on college fields on Saturdays. There are misinterpretations even amongst us sports officials. I agree it didn’t have an impact from the score, but the point is it’s not a foul and shouldn’t be called.
No
You won’t find college officials on Saturday but you can find VHSL officials. That’s what we use in most VA AYF games and to call a penalty on a QB leaning forward without a step is junk... why wouldn’t they call something on Oline who’s already set and turn to read the audible in that case... QB’s move a lot whether it’s to motion a player or even clap hands ... when they clap they lean forward in anticipation of the snap...

No
You won’t find college officials on Saturday but you can find VHSL officials. That’s what we use in most VA AYF games and to call a penalty on a QB leaning forward without a step is junk... why wouldn’t they call something on Oline who’s already set and turn to read the audible in that case... QB’s move a lot whether it’s to motion a player or even clap hands ... when they clap they lean forward in anticipation of the snap...

A vast majority of the quality VHSL officials are busy working college on Saturdays. The new guys usually are the ones getting reps at those little league games. But yes parts of what you’re saying go into the reasoning for this not being a foul. The QB is signaling and directing his offense with tons of movement presnap.

A player on the field doesn’t become a replaced player until one of 5 things happen by the entering substitute to make himself a “player” by definition. Once the player becomes a replaced player, he then has 3 (not 5) seconds to leave the field. 3 seconds is a rule, not an “interpretation.” Again, breaking the huddle with 12 is not a foul, so let’s not call it that.

Again, just because you’ve been flagged for it doesn’t make it a foul. Misinterpretations happen. This has been a ruling by many higher ups in the NFHS circle as well as state interpreters. Leaning by the player receiving the snap is not in and of itself a foul. If a RB (who’s not in position to receive the snap and is presumably in a set position) is leaning, that’s a false start not illegal motion.

I’m just saying this because you brought up the officiating and things getting or not getting called. If you want to do that, just make sure it’s right.

Wow your just that guy. Ok hows this.. PH did some things wrong, they got flagged for it because the refs interrupted what they did as penalties and marked off yardage. I only brought it up because it happened several times for the same things. I just found that interesting. The officials called a good game as far as I saw. I probably made some spelling mistakes in other posts feel free to back through and check.

Wow your just that guy. Ok hows this.. PH did some things wrong, they got flagged for it because the refs interrupted what they did as penalties and marked off yardage. I only brought it up because it happened several times for the same things. I just found that interesting. The officials called a good game as far as I saw. I probably made some spelling mistakes in other posts feel free to back through and check.

I never tried to correct any spelling errors. If you’re talking about the quotes on interpretation that was just referencing that you called it an interpretation when it’s actually an explicit rule listed in the book. Trust me, I make them too. I’m not that guy, lol.

That’s fine and I’m glad you were happy with them. I just didn’t want other people to see what you wrote and perpetuate the cycle of bad rules information that circulates itself. The main issue was just with the 12 men in the huddle thing. If it happens you hear fans scream it. Next time watch the officials when that happens, I guarantee a few of them laugh.

A vast majority of the quality VHSL officials are busy working college on Saturdays. The new guys usually are the ones getting reps at those little league games. But yes parts of what you’re saying go into the reasoning for this not being a foul. The QB is signaling and directing his offense with tons of movement presnap.
Lol well that would explain the sometimes crap I see on Saturday’s also

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT