OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
6A
South County vs Oscar Smith

5A
Highland Springs vs Tuscarora

4A
Lake Taylor vs Coin Flip (haven't came up with that yet)

3A
Magna Vista vs Hopewell

2A
Appomattox vs Union

1A
Essex vs Riverheads

Last edited:
6A
South County vs Oscar Smith

5A
Highland Springs vs Tuscarora

4A
Lake Taylor vs Coin Flip (haven't came up with that yet)

3A
Magna Vista vs Lord Botetourt

2A
Appomattox vs Union

1A
Essex vs Riverheads

I like it OC. I'd have Hopewell over LB but the rest I whole heartedly agree, even trying to pick this Salem-JF winner. Had they not played earlier this year I'd pick JF because that offense is clicking, but Salem having seen it once will have something up their sleeve for that offense, mark my words. Still may not matter but I'm betting it'll be a classic.

Reactions: OCBoy
I am most interested in how LT will handle that very physical lightening fast Courtland defense. KF and Hanover had some success on the ground and Courtland has a trio of rb that excel, especially that Green. This game is very intriguing to me though most or all have LT on to Lynchburg now.

Ps- I also like Hopewell to get to Lynchburg. MV should definitely take Phoebus if the bus on a 4 hour jaunt doesn't get lost!

I am most interested in how LT will handle that very physical lightening fast Courtland defense. KF and Hanover had some success on the ground and Courtland has a trio of rb that excel, especially that Green. This game is very intriguing to me though most or all have LT on to Lynchburg now.

Ps- I also like Hopewell to get to Lynchburg. MV should definitely take Phoebus if the bus on a 4 hour jaunt doesn't get lost!
51 carries for 172 yards is real successful. Considering they were averaging 300 or so a game. Also last week Hanover and their big physical line was going to push us around. This week Courtland and their big line and backs will push us around. If we win Salem or JF with their big OL will push us around. That's why they play the games. More than anything I was surprised by how poor Lafayette tackled. It Lbs got a lot of love but as a team they missed a ton of tackles. Big plays were 1 yard losses that escalated and then they were outran.

Could not agree more with you on the very poor tackling and that Lafayette's defense know the play was there for a loss and whiffed like a JV team. I do not know the reason as nothing close to this kind of tackling all season. They were not nervous but..,,,

West Final: Salem Wins 45 - 38
East Final: LT Wins 28 - 17
State Final: LT Wins 35 - 24

How solid and balanced is Lord B? James Monroe is a balanced, well rounded team. And the outcome of the Hopewell game could have gone either way. And Coach Serbay is about as good as they come. Yet, Hopewell persevered.

If you don't think Lord B. is equal to, or better than James Monroe, then I have to figure the Devils may invade Falwells empire.

It's curious to me that no one seems to have noticed that Lake Taylor scored that 37 points, while possessing the ball Only 14 Minutes. Hanover's "offensive success" is very relative when one considers that they had the ball for roughly 71% of the game. I would think any defense would tire being on the field for 71% of the game, yet LT held Hanover way under Hanover's average yardage.

In light of the facts "Some success on the ground" is rather deceptive.

I like it OC. I'd have Hopewell over LB but the rest I whole heartedly agree, even trying to pick this Salem-JF winner. Had they not played earlier this year I'd pick JF because that offense is clicking, but Salem having seen it once will have something up their sleeve for that offense, mark my words. Still may not matter but I'm betting it'll be a classic.
I agree more and more I think about Hopewell but still undecided on JF salem

EV put up 20 on Courtland (all against there starters) and it really should have been more. I have never seen LT play, but I imagine they have the ability to do the same thing. The running back for Courtland Greene is very impressive, he will get his yards. But the defense (I thought) was small and "big" runners can rack up some yards. They do have a couple of large DT's, but small LB's. Fast might not work but smash might. I will be pulling for Courtland, that way I can feel like EV was second best in the East (in humor of course, although we would have beaten Lafayette :))

51 carries for 172 yards is real successful. Considering they were averaging 300 or so a game. Also last week Hanover and their big physical line was going to push us around. This week Courtland and their big line and backs will push us around. If we win Salem or JF with their big OL will push us around. That's why they play the games. More than anything I was surprised by how poor Lafayette tackled. It Lbs got a lot of love but as a team they missed a ton of tackles. Big plays were 1 yard losses that escalated and then they were outran.
No disrespect but at this point of the year, you really should not be saying much. LT is the clear favorite through the final. They have the goods on offense and the Defense is lights out. You should not have to defend that. You should know it without having to say it. What others think shouldn't matter. your concentration should be on Saturday. i have you winning but Courtland isn't going to give it to you and should not be underestimated. They're good too.

Very best of luck Saturday.

Reactions: danbeatty65
No disrespect but at this point of the year, you really should not be saying much. LT is the clear favorite through the final. They have the goods on offense and the Defense is lights out. You should not have to defend that. You should know it without having to say it. What others think shouldn't matter. your concentration should be on Saturday. i have you winning but Courtland isn't going to give it to you and should not be underestimated. They're good too.

Very best of luck Saturday.
I just like to inform the misinformed and hopefully steer them in the path of getting the correct answer or information. The same sentiments were shared last season during the playoffs I'm a big boy I can handle myself. Trust me when I say VirginiaPreps message boards will not impact my performance. I'm well aware of what Courland is capable of they're here for a reason.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Disruption will be the key to LT's success. Correct me if I am wrong, but the teams who have successfully defended Courtlands vaunted offense in the past few seasons all had a common likeness.

Physical interior strength and quickness off the ball with the keen ability to defend the edge.

One could argue the precision, execution, and misdirection of Courtlands offense could cause problems for the often labled "undisciplined" LT defense, but that individual would be mistaken.

I have watched the LT defense dismantle a variety of offenses and yes they do it with discipline. Watch their technique closely, LT doesn't line up and say beat me if you can. They disguise their calls as good as any high school team I have ever seen. Based on my observations the coach makes the initial call and someone on the field makes adjustments as necessary.

To have success Courtland must keep LT from penatrating and ram the ball right at them. You cannot stretch the field on them, because they pursue laterally and do not over commit. Traps may work occassionally, but just as Hanover discovered you have to earn your gains 3 yards at a time. Pass if you want, but buyers be aware. Trusting your scheme and being patient is a must for Courtland.

Courtland is a good team with numerous of weapons. They will move the ball; however, it will mean very little if they cant score 30+ on LT.

The Titans have only been held under 34 one time all season. Yes, Courtland's defense has played well, but the price of peanuts just went up.

LT 35-21. Good luck to both teams.

All things considered, from a pure football perspective, and from what I've read about Courtland and LT, both have the goods to get the job done. Now, with that being said, the decided edge HAS to drop in favor of LT simply because of the tested nature of what they've been through as a program. They've been down in games, but unless you knock them out (AND no one has), they simply find a way to win! When you take that into consideration and consider their next opponent, they are the favorite to continue on to Lynchburg. Case closed.
However, (and there always seems to be a "however" huh?), if we are to consider these two teams as "closer than expected", then let's get down to brass tacks... Let's say the immovable object meets the irresistible force, in a battle for the ages, what happens then? As a football mind, it comes down to 3 things. Critical penalties, special teams, and turnovers. That's all that is remaining, right? Any day, in any week, someone can win and someone can lose, and all things considered equal it falls into one of those categories. You can't have it any other way... Forget all the psychological baloney, the kids play, coaches coach, and fans... Well, fans probably coach too, but from a different perspective anyway.
So, here's to LT and Courtland battling it out and to the winner goes the spoils... If wagers were being considered, my money would more than likely be on LT. I'm thinking 34-14, because I like the #4.
Just my silly 2 cents.

Disruption will be the key to LT's success. Correct me if I am wrong, but the teams who have successfully defended Courtlands vaunted offense in the past few seasons all had a common likeness.

Physical interior strength and quickness off the ball with the keen ability to defend the edge.

One could argue the precision, execution, and misdirection of Courtlands offense could cause problems for the often labled "undisciplined" LT defense, but that individual would be mistaken.

I have watched the LT defense dismantle a variety of offenses and yes they do it with discipline. Watch their technique closely, LT doesn't line up and say beat me if you can. They disguise their calls as good as any high school team I have ever seen. Based on my observations the coach makes the initial call and someone on the field makes adjustments as necessary.

To have success Courtland must keep LT from penatrating and ram the ball right at them. You cannot stretch the field on them, because they pursue laterally and do not over commit. Traps may work occassionally, but just as Hanover discovered you have to earn your gains 3 yards at a time. Pass if you want, but buyers be aware. Trusting your scheme and being patient is a must for Courtland.

Courtland is a good team with numerous of weapons. They will move the ball; however, it will mean very little if they cant score 30+ on LT.

The Titans have only been held under 34 one time all season. Yes, Courtland's defense has played well, but the price of peanuts just went up.

LT 35-21. Good luck to both teams.

That's an excellent analysis. I'm very hopeful that it will be a close, clean and tenacious battle where each team feels as if they left it all on the field and can be at peace with whatever happens. I'm also hopeful that I see more of the players and not so much of the referees ;)

Reactions: VolNation85
That's an excellent analysis. I'm very hopeful that it will be a close, clean and tenacious battle where each team feels as if they left it all on the field and can be at peace with whatever happens. I'm also hopeful that I see more of the players and not so much of the referees ;)
I have been to 3 of courtland games this year and all I seen was bad officiating and not letting it be played on the field. Good luck

I have been to 3 of courtland games this year and all I seen was bad officiating and not letting it be played on the field. Good luck
"Let them play the game!" Has been a common theme around ALL of Football this season. From the NFL down. The paranoia of litigation has made the officials play a prominent role in almost every game I've watched this year and the interpretation of the rules has now changed so drastically that I feel like I'm sitting with my accountant at tax time. It has really dragged the game and clearly changed the outcome of many others.

Unfortunately, officiating is now like a Military Procedure Manual. It only gets thicker every year.

Seriously.. you don't get to squawk about the potential of the refs impacting the game.. no no.. you get what you get when you're on the road.. I'd like to see you guys win, but I might smile if the refs flag Courtland for "no where to found on film" penalties... That makes it tough when they already have the advantage of being the better team.

Seriously.. you don't get to squawk about the potential of the refs impacting the game.. no no.. you get what you get when you're on the road.. I'd like to see you guys win, but I might smile if the refs flag Courtland for "no where to found on film" penalties... That makes it tough when they already have the advantage of being the better team.
133DKEhjAa8aUE.gif

The ol referee excuse huh? Sure referee's can make the game difficult as they have a couple of times for us this year, but good teams find a way and at the end of the day a lot of us can't do their job.

I'm a little confused--are you saying Courtland's the better team here? I'll need to clear my throat a little better so my stuff doesn't come out so squawky :D
Having it be fair for both sides is really all I'd like to see.

133DKEhjAa8aUE.gif

The ol referee excuse huh? Sure referee's can make the game difficult as they have a couple of times for us this year, but good teams find a way and at the end of the day a lot of us can't do their job.

Not an excuse really--I've just noticed that the refs have inserted themselves prominently in a lot of contests of late, which has the effect of slowing the action, dragging the game out and generally making a bit of a nuisance of themselves. Since the game hasn't even occurred, I can't really complain about the officiating just yet, just hoping they let the boys play.

I'm a little confused--are you saying Courtland's the better team here? I'll need to clear my throat a little better so my stuff doesn't come out so squawky :D
Having it be fair for both sides is really all I'd like to see.
Yes.. fair is the goal.. I was saying (and only going by what I read about LT) that they are the better team. The comment is in general though when your playing a better team, the penalties can make the task more difficult than it already is... I'm not sure if Devils was booing me or you.. I don't think my comment was very clear. On a different note, send your son to Davidson, I think that is where my boy is going to chose to go. Top 25 school, very cool area, plus you would be an alumni from the school where Stephen Curry got his start...

Yes.. fair is the goal.. I was saying (and only going by what I read about LT) that they are the better team. The comment is in general though when your playing a better team, the penalties can make the task more difficult than it already is... I'm not sure if Devils was booing me or you.. I don't think my comment was very clear. On a different note, send your son to Davidson, I think that is where my boy is going to chose to go. Top 25 school, very cool area, plus you would be an alumni from the school where Stephen Curry got his start...

I agree--wish he was more interested in Davidson, but for some reason he's got other aspirations. I honestly don't know whether it's football or track that he wants to pursue--I think he's just waiting a little longer to see who brings the most love to the table :) December 1st through the dead period right before Christmas is when the DII and DIII schools make their move usually. I already know of several college coaches who will be at the game Saturday.

My best guess would be
Salem 38-28
LT42-21
Final LT 42 Salem 31
No offense but, I hope you are wrong on the Salem pick. I have nothing against Salem, I just don't want to see a rematch of last year's championship. I would love to see JF-LT in the championship. As a fan, that matchup would probably be more entertaining than Salem-LT. IMO

No offense but, I hope you are wrong on the Salem pick. I have nothing against Salem, I just don't want to see a rematch of last year's championship. I would love to see JF-LT in the championship. As a fan, that matchup would probably be more entertaining than Salem-LT. IMO
And that right there has made my decision in my pick... I'm going with JF over Salem solely because I will be in Lynchburg and I wana see a different matchup

Reactions: VolNation85
And that right there has made my decision in my pick... I'm going with JF over Salem solely because I will be in Lynchburg and I wana see a different matchup
That's pretty much the basis for my pick as well. I could have picked Courtland over LT but I enjoy watching LT. LT's version of the split back veer isn't always the most entertaining too watch (that's the nature of the scheme) but, they have so many great athletes that it's exciting because you know they can break a big play at any moment. So, I would prefer to see LT-JF

I agree--wish he was more interested in Davidson, but for some reason he's got other aspirations. I honestly don't know whether it's football or track that he wants to pursue--I think he's just waiting a little longer to see who brings the most love to the table :) December 1st through the dead period right before Christmas is when the DII and DIII schools make their move usually. I already know of several college coaches who will be at the game Saturday.
JC actually cringes at talking to parents and hates to do it. He's rightfully scared they will all be typical and is awkward between Teacher, Coach, political correctness and actually knowing what it takes to be a next level talent. It's why the first meeting of the year with the parents states he doesn't want to hear from you. Request one next week on Monday or Tuesday. Be frank, real and request the bottom line in a meeting that should take no more than 5 minutes. This should have happened a long time ago but you are where you are. Take his advise.

JC actually cringes at talking to parents and hates to do it. He's rightfully scared they will all be typical and is awkward between Teacher, Coach, political correctness and actually knowing what it takes to be a next level talent. It's why the first meeting of the year with the parents states he doesn't want to hear from you. Request one next week on Monday or Tuesday. Be frank, real and request the bottom line in a meeting that should take no more than 5 minutes. This should have happened a long time ago but you are where you are. Take his advise.

Coach Hall has been great, and we had "the talk" at the beginning of the season already and know exactly where Ben stands. The fact I'm talking about Ben here is merely representing what goes on in my own head--I've not bothered the coaches, inserted myself into things with college coaches, or really done anything to imprint myself on Ben's choice. I'm simply talking about my son, whom I am ridiculously proud of. Part of it frankly is due to the fact that the running backs on his team get the complete lion's share of the praise and coverage (rightfully so--they are amazing), and my son is a quiet leader who sweats it out in the trenches, so I like to blow his horn a bit because he wouldn't think of doing it himself. If he decided to go to Germanna for community college first and get credits toward his degree and drop sports all together, that would be fine with me--the lad's got a great head on his shoulder and is going to do well whatever he decides to put his mind to.

Coach Hall has been great, and we had "the talk" at the beginning of the season already and know exactly where Ben stands. The fact I'm talking about Ben here is merely representing what goes on in my own head--I've not bothered the coaches, inserted myself into things with college coaches, or really done anything to imprint myself on Ben's choice. I'm simply talking about my son, whom I am ridiculously proud of. Part of it frankly is due to the fact that the running backs on his team get the complete lion's share of the praise and coverage (rightfully so--they are amazing), and my son is a quiet leader who sweats it out in the trenches, so I like to blow his horn a bit because he wouldn't think of doing it himself. If he decided to go to Germanna for community college first and get credits toward his degree and drop sports all together, that would be fine with me--the lad's got a great head on his shoulder and is going to do well whatever he decides to put his mind to.
Sounds like you've done a great job as his father. Kudos to you. Good luck to him.

Cool thing in VA that not enough people take advantage of. If you go to one of the Community Colleges and get your Associates with a B average. The State Schools like VT, JMU, UVA, etc have to admit you and can only charge you the same tuition rate as the Community Collge. Great deal.

You seem to have the right attitude as a Father, at least from this distance. GL Saturday.

Cool thing in VA that not enough people take advantage of. If you go to one of the Community Colleges and get your Associates with a B average. The State Schools like VT, JMU, UVA, etc have to admit you and can only charge you the same tuition rate as the Community Collge.

Now that's something I've never heard regarding the tuition rate. I have a son-in-law who is doing exactly that at VCU and he's paying VCU tuition rates.

Now that's something I've never heard regarding the tuition rate. I have a son-in-law who is doing exactly that at VCU and he's paying VCU tuition rates.
Better have him check into that. I've steered a dozen or more in this direction already and it is exactly as I said. Have him contact his Community College office or Admin at VCU and see what gives. The only caveat I can offer here is that none of my "kids" has gone to VCU. It does work at ODU, VT, UVA and JMU.

Best of luck to your son in law.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT