ADVERTISEMENT

Galax @ Chilhowie

Chilhowie practiced on turf all week in preparation for playing at E&H. Now they have to play on grass? I hope they survive. LOL. How about you play the 1st half on turf at E&H and the 2nd half on grass at Chilhowie?

This fiasco will be instrumental in leading to all state semifinals and finals being at neutral sites.

As a proud libertarian, I would hope this fiasco would allow a teaching point for the VHSL and that point is.......LEAVE it alone and let ALL state semis regardless of the conditions or stadium size be played at the team that deserves to HOST and earned it. Today, football should be played a t Chilhowie and at Radford. They won't be. The problem is.....why stop with the state semis? Why don't we make region title games a t neutral sites? Heck, go further, what about round two just to be sure?

VHSL has always allowed each region to use it’s own discretion when scheduling games. There is no precedent for VHSL to interfere with regional play.

However, there are several instances where precedent has been set for VHSL having total autonomy over state games.

VHSL has always allowed each region to use it’s own discretion when scheduling games. There is no precedent for VHSL to interfere with regional play.

However, there are several instances where precedent has been set for VHSL having total autonomy over state games.

Hey man will this game still be streamed? Care to tell us how again?

mmqp - you are a cool poster - yes, it was mostly Fort Chiswell - (some interesting people there....)

but some at PM did complain - they said they were going to report Essex to the VHSL (for being poor I guess).

Heck, I was there after the game when an assistant coach and some parents cussed at our head coach. He apologized for not having better facilities like three times and they kept going on so he walked away.

I think I said thanks for coming - now take your beating and have safe home.

Haha I should have known, especially after the fiasco at Narrows this year. There are definitely some oddballs in the PM fanbase. But most are very knowledgeable.

Did you make it over to BV the year they played Northumberland?

Hey man will this game still be streamed? Care to tell us how again?

The game is being live streamed on the High School Football Network. I know, it's primarily only state title games, but there are schools like Galax that makes most of it's game (even regular season) streamed on this network. So, if you are doing the 30 day sign up to watch the state titles live, you can, but go ahead and sign up now if you want to watch Galax today because it's on. I plan to watch that one on my phone while here in Salem.

The VHSL has the power and authority to set that precedent. From game 1 of the season, the VHSL has the power to set some precedent. If the VHSL wants to intervene or have more impact on regional play, then it can. The precedent that was set for the VHSL having total autonomy over state games was set because the VHSL chose to do so.

Now hopefully no one can say that they haven't been tested. Now it's time for the final exam!

Last edited:
The VHSL has the power and authority to set that precedent. From game 1 of the season, the VHSL has the power to set some precedent. If the VHSL wants to intervene or have more impact on regional play, then it can. The precedent that was set for the VHSL having total autonomy over state games was set because the VHSL chose to do so.

I don’t disagree with what you were saying in your original post. VHSL certainly has the autonomy to do whatever they wish. They just haven’t had issue after issue associated with Regional pairings. The issues over the past 5 or 6 years surrounding state semifinals are another matter.

Ask Essex!

I hear ya Sixcat and see what your saying.

Hey man, sorry about your boys today. I was rooting for you guys to get the W for Region C. Radford will regroup and grow up a bunch and hopefully get back to state next year. I'm sure Galax will be solid again.

Reactions: sixcat
Congrats to Chilhowie!! They played there tales off today. If there are any take aways from todays game it's this. Chilhowie has way more size than anyone (including myself) anticipated. Neither team could run up the gut on each other and the edge game just as I mentioned days ago proved to be the factor.

I am by no means making any excuses because Chilhowie won this game today fair and square....but I will say that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen in a high school game. Chilhowie got away with pass interference the entire game, and the only thing I didn't like about the holding penalties was that I watched both team's edge players on the line and it seemed that only Galax's were getting called for holding.

With all that being said I really think and really hope after seeing the Warriors play today that they bring home the State title to southwest va, they will have a tremendous test ahead of them next week, but the one loss Riverheads had this year was to a team that ran a very similar offense as Chilhowies. I for one will be rooting for the warriors to bring the title home. Congrats again today guys, and best of luck next week!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT