ADVERTISEMENT

George Wythe (Richmond)

I'm pretty sure the Richmond City schools haven't been playoff relevant since McFee departed Huguenot about a dozen years ago. TJ-Richmond has had some recent success and I believe are 4-1 this year. Former High School All-American Phillip Sims is the coach at John Marshall

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
In they are 3A but I was just looking at there past records. And they've only won 2 games since 2004. What is the issue with them how are they that bad?

If counting 2004 then I counted 4 (1 win that year) but still very sad

I'm pretty sure the Richmond City schools haven't been playoff relevant since McFee departed Huguenot about a dozen years ago. TJ-Richmond has had some recent success and I believe are 4-1 this year. Former High School All-American Phillip Sims is the coach at John Marshall

Isn't a team like Highland Springs considered Richmond? Maybe not?

If counting 2004 then I counted 4 (1 win that year) but still very sad

Isn't a team like Highland Springs considered Richmond? Maybe not?
They're in the Richmond area, but they are a county school in Henrico County.

Reactions: uvacavs1
In they are 3A but I was just looking at there past records. And they've only won 2 games since 2004. What is the issue with them how are they that bad?

I believe if they could get a coach in there to stick around for more than a year and invest in the program and by invest I don't mean money but rather time, there could be improvement.

There is evidence of this working...

Kedrick Moody got Armstrong to 6 wins in 2014, left for Meadowbrook in Chesterfield but would never coach again due to legal issues. Since he left Armstrong the Wildcats have only won 5 games in 4 years.

Huguenot won a total of 4 wins in 4 years before Coach Jennings arrived. In four years Jennings Falcons won a total of 11 games including 5 his final season. He left and is now at Clover Hill in Chesterfield. Coach Addison Hayes has the Falcons at 2-2 this season.

John Marshall had a total of 4 wins in 4 years... Coach Sims arrives in 2017 and in 2 years they won a total of 5 games and this year they are 3-2.

In 14 years Thomas Jefferson won a total of 6 games then Coach Hornik who is now at Deep Run comes in and invests in the program and in a total of 4 years they won 9 games. He got the program headed in the right direction and Coach PJ Adams has taken the Vikings to the next level winning 14 games in his first 2 seasons and this year he has the Vikings 4-1.

My point to all this... George Wythe has 4 wins in the last 15 seasons and the win in 2004 came by forfeit so it really is only 3 games they won on the field. 15 seasons and do you know how many coaches they have had in that time? 8 and Coach Hart make 9. Only Coach Gary Warren in this time was there longer than 2 seasons but without consistency in coaching, someone willing to invest in the program and get kids engaged and wanting to play, things will not change.

And they are no longer in Class 3, they are now in Class 4.

I believe if they could get a coach in there to stick around for more than a year and invest in the program and by invest I don't mean money but rather time, there could be improvement.

There is evidence of this working...

Kedrick Moody got Armstrong to 6 wins in 2014, left for Meadowbrook in Chesterfield but would never coach again due to legal issues. Since he left Armstrong the Wildcats have only won 5 games in 4 years.

Huguenot won a total of 4 wins in 4 years before Coach Jennings arrived. In four years Jennings Falcons won a total of 11 games including 5 his final season. He left and is now at Clover Hill in Chesterfield. Coach Addison Hayes has the Falcons at 2-2 this season.

John Marshall had a total of 4 wins in 4 years... Coach Sims arrives in 2017 and in 2 years they won a total of 5 games and this year they are 3-2.

In 14 years Thomas Jefferson won a total of 6 games then Coach Hornik who is now at Deep Run comes in and invests in the program and in a total of 4 years they won 9 games. He got the program headed in the right direction and Coach PJ Adams has taken the Vikings to the next level winning 14 games in his first 2 seasons and this year he has the Vikings 4-1.

My point to all this... George Wythe has 4 wins in the last 15 seasons and the win in 2004 came by forfeit so it really is only 3 games they won on the field. 15 seasons and do you know how many coaches they have had in that time? 8 and Coach Hart make 9. Only Coach Gary Warren in this time was there longer than 2 seasons but without consistency in coaching, someone willing to invest in the program and get kids engaged and wanting to play, things will not change.

And they are no longer in Class 3, they are now in Class 4.
Thanks for the info I was by no means trying to be a jerk by making this post. I was looking at my Maroons and got linked to the bulldogs page. And went down the rabbit hole and saw their records over the years and it got me thinking. That is a talent filled region of the state and it surprised me that they hadn't had more success. And I couldn't agree more that they need someone to come in and make an effort for the kids and the community. They need someone to come in and make winning a tradition not just a goal.

Since the "de-complexing" in Richmond here are the school records:
Armstrong 80-254
Wythe - 59-272
Huguenot - 176-178-1 (McFee 145-77 from 1988-07) without him 31-101
JM - 132-208-1
TJ - 61-274

Most of the JM success was at the beginning going 9-2-1, 12-1, 7-3, 6-4, 1-9, 11-2,10-2 in the immediate years following the de-complexing. Except for the 1991 1-9 record but that was also a new coach taking over for Anderson. Also Walker did not re-open so JM was really for the most part the consolidated Marshall-Walker.

Just as a comparison here are the records 5-6 years prior:
Armstrong- 34-19-2
Wythe - 33-23-4
Huguenot - 5-49-3
JM - 21-34-4
TJ - 28-32-1

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
They're in the Richmond area, but they are a county school in Henrico County.
As far as football is concerned Wythe has the same problem Manassas Park has. They have a large student populations but little interest in football because of a large Hispanic sector in the student population.

Last edited:
actually last year Huguenot, JM and TJ were all in the playoffs
and if you look at the rating that just came out
all are in the hunt this year too!

actually last year Huguenot, JM and TJ were all in the playoffs
and if you look at the rating that just came out
all are in the hunt this year too!

You are absolutely correct, the only two city schools not currently in the playoffs based on the ratings are Armstrong and George Wythe who are both winless.

Good info here! thanks to both of you. I'm glad to hear those teams are having success this season. Honestly, I don't read anything about the Richmond area any more simply because the RTD edition that comes this way has virtually noting on Saturdays or Sundays for the past few years and I don't have the patience to go online! You won't believe this but it's true: the edition that arrives here has nothing about football --- not even the run of AP scores --- on Saturdays. Might get something about private school games. This past weekend the only thing high school football related was the run of Friday and Saturday scores that appeared in the Sunday edition. Incredible. And it's just as bad during basketball season although it might have a story during a weekday edition that comes this way, which is merely 45 miles from Richmond!!!

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
Good info here! thanks to both of you. I'm glad to hear those teams are having success this season. Honestly, I don't read anything about the Richmond area any more simply because the RTD edition that comes this way has virtually noting on Saturdays or Sundays for the past few years and I don't have the patience to go online! You won't believe this but it's true: the edition that arrives here has nothing about football --- not even the run of AP scores --- on Saturdays. Might get something about private school games. This past weekend the only thing high school football related was the run of Friday and Saturday scores that appeared in the Sunday edition. Incredible. And it's just as bad during basketball season although it might have a story during a weekday edition that comes this way, which is merely 45 miles from Richmond!!!
that is because RTD has a sports website and twitter account and uses them for most of its local sports reporting now.
https://www.richmond.com/sports/high-school/
https://twitter.com/804Varsity

Welcome to the 21st Century ;)o_O

There is also RVA Sports Network
https://rvasportsnetwork.blogspot.com/2019/09/football-first-vhsl-weekly-region.html
https://twitter.com/TheRVASportsNet

Last edited:
Reactions: MGF
You are absolutely correct, the only two city schools not currently in the playoffs based on the ratings are Armstrong and George Wythe who are both winless.
we talked about Wythe but the Armstrong team got hit with 17 academic casualties this year.
I doubt many teams could rebound from that.

Reactions: MGF and CRF4Dan
Those bad city teams in football and typically juggernauts in basketball when number of kids in a school isn't as big a factor.

Reactions: EPJr
Those bad city teams in football and typically juggernauts in basketball when number of kids in a school isn't as big a factor.
tenor.gif

lets just concentrate on fall sports
for now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT