ADVERTISEMENT

Glenvar vs Radford

moto138

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 4, 2018
C is tightening up big time. Can Glenvar upset Radford and and improve their 10-13 record?

This is the game of the year in the TRD on Glenvar's new artificial turf. Last years water skiing event...game... was the what finally prompted the powers that be in Roanoke County to spend the money for the new field. Highlanders are healthy heading into the game and getting better every week. Radford has a great defense but season ending injuries to a couple of key players on offense make this interesting. Loser will likely have to go through both Radford and Appo to win Region C.

This is the game of the year in the TRD on Glenvar's new artificial turf. Last years water skiing event...game... was the what finally prompted the powers that be in Roanoke County to spend the money for the new field. Highlanders are healthy heading into the game and getting better every week. Radford has a great defense but season ending injuries to a couple of key players on offense make this interesting. Loser will likely have to go through both Radford and Appo to win Region C.
My gut says Glenvar will win due to Radford having those 3 players out. However Radford is strumming right along with transparency, so this should be a good matchup.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Based on how Radford just destroyed Alleghany, I'm not as confident as you. Glenvar has to have a complete game and get more out of their offensive line if they are going to upset Radford.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have and did think Glenvar wins close and favored in my opinion. I'm not so sure now. We've really started to gel and learned how to play together/adjust since the injuries. It's taken time, but we've improved since the Richlands game, even though the schedule hasn't been considered tough.

I think we are now the favorites and I think it's going to be very close, but I'm picking us by 7 points.

Glenvar is improving on offense, especially the pass game but Radford's defense is really good and Glenvar knows that. Radford's got to be favored for sure. It's going to be about the matchups and the want to. I think it will be 7 point game one way or the other. I am hoping the Highlanders come out with as much effort and team play, as Radford did last year when they upset Glenvar. Should be a great game.

Hoping for a Glenvar win but I'm thinking Radford might be too much for them.

It is all about line in this game. Radford has been able to impose their will on most of the teams due to the O and D line. If they had continued to run between the tackles the Richlands game, might have been different. I haven't seen Glenvar yet but its hard to imagine they will be able to outperform the Radford line.

It is all about line in this game. Radford has been able to impose their will on most of the teams due to the O and D line. If they had continued to run between the tackles the Richlands game, might have been different. I haven't seen Glenvar yet but its hard to imagine they will be able to outperform the Radford line.

I give us the advantage on the line against Glenvar also. We have to contain their WRs and limit big passing plays and make them go on long drives in order to score. If we can limit their big passing plays to their WRs, we will do well because they will have a tough go if it in driving 80 or so yards down the field without having big passing plays in their offense.

We have become much better offensively since the Richlands game. We just weren't there yet on the offensive side of the ball in the Richlands game as Marshall and PJ were injured. We have now had some guys step up on offense since the injuries, and they are playing well, and it's made our offense perform much better. I think this game with Glenvar is very close and definitely decided by 1 score either way. I'm hopeful it goes our way, and no disrespect to Glenvar. I'm hoping for an injury free game for both schools.

Glenvar's D-line wasn't very effective against Riverheads. Of course, that was an early season game against a larger school. ;)

I give us the advantage on the line against Glenvar also. We have to contain their WRs and limit big passing plays and make them go on long drives in order to score. If we can limit their big passing plays to their WRs, we will do well because they will have a tough go if it in driving 80 or so yards down the field without having big passing plays in their offense.

We have become much better offensively since the Richlands game. We just weren't there yet on the offensive side of the ball in the Richlands game as Marshall and PJ were injured. We have now had some guys step up on offense since the injuries, and they are playing well, and it's made our offense perform much better. I think this game with Glenvar is very close and definitely decided by 1 score either way. I'm hopeful it goes our way, and no disrespect to Glenvar. I'm hoping for an injury free game for both schools.

Any of the injured players back yet? Or are they all out for season?

Good analysis. Glenvar is going to have to pass the ball to open up the run, not vice versa IMO. I don't see Radford giving much up to Glenvar's run game or playing honest against the run until Glenvar proves they can go over the top. While most games come down to the lines, I think Glenvar chances come down to beating the secondary and playing well enough against Radford on defense to limit them to 21 points or less.

Good analysis. Glenvar is going to have to pass the ball to open up the run, not vice versa IMO. I don't see Radford giving much up to Glenvar's run game or playing honest against the run until Glenvar proves they can go over the top. While most games come down to the lines, I think Glenvar chances come down to beating the secondary and playing well enough against Radford on defense to limit them to 21 points
trinsicreward, post: 363222, member: 8049"]Good analysis. Glenvar is going to have to pass the ball to open up the run, not vice versa IMO. I don't see Radford giving much up to Glenvar's run game or playing honest against the run until Glenvar proves they can go over the top. While most games come down to the lines, I think Glenvar chances come down to beating the secondary and playing well enough against Radford on defense to limit them to 21 points or less.[/QUOTE
Good analysis. Glenvar is going to have to pass the ball to open up the run, not vice versa IMO. I don't see Radford giving much up to Glenvar's run game or playing honest against the run until Glenvar proves they can go over the top. While most games come down to the lines, I think Glenvar chances come down to beating the secondary and playing well enough against Radford on defense to limit them to 21 points or less.
Some fun facts on these teams! Glenvar is currently 4-3 and 3-0 in conference and Radford 6-1 and 3-0 conference. Glenvars opponents were Galax, Riverheads,Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, James River, Carroll County and Floyd. Combining records of all opponents and Glenvar there are 33 wins and 26 losses with Galax 6-1 Riverheads 7-0 and Hidden Valley 5-2 all quality opponents. Radford 6-1 and their opponents were Wythe, Ft Chiswell, Gretna, Giles, Richlands, James River and Alleghany. Including Radfords record and their opponents their combined records are 30 wins and 28 losses with Wythe 5-2 Gretna 5-2 and Richlands 4-3 being the quality opponents this year. One common opponent in James River Glenvar 56-0 and Radford 42-13. In their last three games realizing both teams have improved Glenvar has scored 157 points and given up 47. Radford has scored 146 points and given up 64 with the majority of those points coming in the Richlands game. I agree that this game will be determined by line play. Glenver has some big kids on the line ranging in size from 6'5 265 to 5'10 245 and several 6'2 and 6'3 at 240 and 255 all but one juniors and soph. The problem Glenvar has faced is all but one had never played the interior line before this year. They are converted LB's, D ends and Off ends. They are still learning the job. I give Radford the edge in the line play but I wouldn't count out Glenvars run game just yet. Soph QB with 1100-1200 yds. passing and two or three good backs in Loader, Street and a couple Sophs. They can be salty. We can't go by scores but I think this will be a good one. Prayers for a safe and injury free game. Radford has been impressive losing those quality players and still maintaining with kids stepping up. Can't wait. This is what we all look forward to every year. Safe travels

Some fun facts on these teams! Glenvar is currently 4-3 and 3-0 in conference and Radford 6-1 and 3-0 conference. Glenvars opponents were Galax, Riverheads,Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, James River, Carroll County and Floyd. Combining records of all opponents and Glenvar there are 33 wins and 26 losses with Galax 6-1 Riverheads 7-0 and Hidden Valley 5-2 all quality opponents. Radford 6-1 and their opponents were Wythe, Ft Chiswell, Gretna, Giles, Richlands, James River and Alleghany. Including Radfords record and their opponents their combined records are 30 wins and 28 losses with Wythe 5-2 Gretna 5-2 and Richlands 4-3 being the quality opponents this year. One common opponent in James River Glenvar 56-0 and Radford 42-13. In their last three games realizing both teams have improved Glenvar has scored 157 points and given up 47. Radford has scored 146 points and given up 64 with the majority of those points coming in the Richlands game. I agree that this game will be determined by line play. Glenver has some big kids on the line ranging in size from 6'5 265 to 5'10 245 and several 6'2 and 6'3 at 240 and 255 all but one juniors and soph. The problem Glenvar has faced is all but one had never played the interior line before this year. They are converted LB's, D ends and Off ends. They are still learning the job. I give Radford the edge in the line play but I wouldn't count out Glenvars run game just yet. Soph QB with 1100-1200 yds. passing and two or three good backs in Loader, Street and a couple Sophs. They can be salty. We can't go by scores but I think this will be a good one. Prayers for a safe and injury free game. Radford has been impressive losing those quality players and still maintaining with kids stepping up. Can't wait. This is what we all look forward to every year. Safe travels
I agree...Glenvar has a great running game if they force the defense to play them honest. Once Glenvar's passing game is able to get downfield it forces the LBs back which opens up those 4-5 yard gains which gives Glenvar that unpredictabilty that they need to beat more athletic teams. That is why I am optimistic about Glenvar. Passing game has improved every week, much better than I thought possible. The QB has gotten better every game and they have one of the best receivers in the state IMO.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
I am in on that QB being good. That young man can spin it. And the receiver that made two TD's against Riverheads has wheels to go with his hands. The running game was so so the only game I seen of course but that Sophmore quarterback looked very good. Very impressed with his ability and pocket awareness.

Glenvar's D-line wasn't very effective against Riverheads. Of course, that was an early season game against a larger school. ;)
That was because the big bruising RB from Riverheads was the best they have faced all season. If there one better in either 1A or 2A, I haven't seen him. Galax has a pretty good one. Glenvar's line and LBs were in position to make plays, he just ran over and thru them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT