ADVERTISEMENT

Is it me or are all these previews this year garbage?

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
All the previews I have seen have been very short and not to the point. IMO it just shows a lack of local newspapers actually getting out and being real journalist.

All the previews I have seen have been very short and not to the point. IMO it just shows a lack of local newspapers actually getting out and being real journalist.
Mentioned the same things weeks ago. Not much to go on except general optimism by every currently undefeated team.

Unfortunately local newspapers are dying off or merging.
There is just not that much attention payed to local sports sections and less attention for H.S. sports.

Do not be shocked if football stops getting reported on; there is a significant effort to do away with american football all together in an attempt to further wussify american male youths.

Almost all of the previews done on local tv stations, regardless of the region, are of little value. They all say variations of the same thing: "Well, Hogwarts High has been working hard all summer, and expects to make a lot of noise this year. The attitude is good, and excitement is high. They should have another great year/get back on the right track [pick appropriate statement]!" Every team has a promising outlook, and is going to do just awesome.

The print previews are slightly better, but since it is high school, and newspapers resources are stretched, you're just not going to get the detail or honesty that you get from Athlon's or Lindy's. The best previews for Roanoke-area teams can be found in the Roanoke Times high school football preview section. It should hit newsstands and go online one week from today. Robert Anderson oversees it, and he and the crew do a very good job. There's a capsule preview for each Timesland team that includes the number of returning starters (both O&D), players to watch, a brief summary of the previous season, and the new season's outlook. There's a Timesland preseason top ten, and they even stick their necks out and provide predictions for each district, so we can actually get a feel for how the teams might stack up against each other. Whereas if one just listened to Friday Football Extra, for example, one would think every team in WDBJ's coverage area had an equal chance of winning state. Which is one reason why I finally tuned that one out four or five years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT