ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson District 2015

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
After three weeks, here are some thoughts and final standings projections.

Albemarle has a good defense, but the offense is poor, beating a poor Kettle Run and getting shut out by Brookville. Head Coach Brandon Isaiah was at the Louisa/Courtland game, probably licking his chops. They'll get their offense going in two weeks.

Charlottesville may currently have the best defense in the district (keep an eye on the freshman and junior Folley brothers), sacking Harrisonburg QB AC White eight times, and the offense is still a work in progress. However, RB Rashad Brock had a rushing TD of 99 yards before leaving the game in the 2nd quarter, RB Tremiguel Durrett had one of 85, and QB Rakeem Davis had one of 59 out of the Massaponax Triple Option, en route to 358 yards of total offense, and Harrisonburg's defense isn't half bad.

Fluvanna is still Fluvanna. I think they're a year away from being competitive against decent teams if the kids stay bought into the new coach's stuff and stay in their very nice weight room.

Louisa was projected to make a deep playoff run this year, but they will have to rely on out-scoring teams this year. Their offense is coming together and looked strong against Courtland last night, but the defense is very poor. If they improve enough to be average and limit big play after big play, it might be enough to have a winning season and surprise a team in the first round or two of the playoffs. Next week's game against King George should define their season early.

Monticello's offense started clicking last night against Turner Ashby, but I was shocked to see they allowed 30 points, and trailed 30-19 in the 4th quarter! Just how good are Ashby, Monticello, and Lake Taylor? Suffice it to say, the Mustangs aren't my district favorite anymore.

Orange has beaten a very poor Culpeper team before getting crushed by Eastern View. The Hornets will compete with Fluvanna to stay out of last place, but might spring an upset. Like the Flucos, I feel they're a year away from being competitive.

Powhatan is a work in progress on both sides of the ball. They beat a very poor Midlothian team easily, but lost to a good Hopewell team in a game they had four turnovers with just 157 total yards, and Hopewell's QB was in the hospital that morning before torching the Indian defense.

Western Albemarle clearly has the district's best offense, but still an average defense, destroying Broadway, losing to Brookville, then pulling away from Spotswood. They will go as far as their offense takes them in the playoffs, with a possible match up with Phoebus looming.

Standings projections:
1. Western Albemarle - look to be the class of an average district this year
2. Charlottesville - best defense so far, potentially powerful offense
3. Monticello - very questionable game against TA drops them
4. Louisa - offense should keep them away from the basement for now
5. Albemarle - not enough offense to make any statements
6. Powhatan - lost their offense from last year in Logan Allen, might be a year away
7. Orange - some talent, but still need to do a lot of coming together, and having so many head coach changes doesn't help
8. Fluvanna

Last edited:
Reactions: dpsulli
Not in my mind. Scores do not always dictate a game. LT defense will dominate all but a few teams. Hoos let's emotions take over instead what is real. No one in the west can beat them. A few east teams in the 757 and 804 may be able too if LT offense has too many turnovers. Really believe LT can only beat themselves.
Lake Taylor is OVERRATED!!!!

Reactions: VolNation85
I thought similar to last season for lions but not a deep run in the east. I told you last year don't put Powhatan that low. I would put race between Monticello, W.A, and Powhatan. With Louisa,Albemarle, and Charlottesville battling for the four spot. I think Louisa must beat KG this week to have a chance at playoffs. If they lose then I think they MAY have to win out to make playoffs or get help. I do think lions can go 7-3, but as shaunty said they could be 3-7 so early to tell. This week's game vs KG is huge for Louisa.

It's true, but who doesn't? Devils was being sarcastic, I don't think they're overrated at all. They'll need a passing game, but then again they might not, because their defense is that good.
Aware of sarcasm but you made statement earlier about LT being overrated when discussing Monticello. That did not come across as sarcasm and I think that's why devil was being sarcastic.

You ended up being right last year about Powhatan, but I believe I had made that prediction before the season started, I'm not sure though. This time I really don't see them doing much, especially with Collegiate (scrimmaged Powhatan) mustering 3 points last night.

Hoos what is up with Louisa defense? Their defense had been pretty stout up to.this year in the past. I thought they would struggle more on offense then defense.

Aware of sarcasm but you made statement earlier about LT being overrated when discussing Monticello. That did not come across as sarcasm and I think that's why devil was being sarcastic.
I said "just how good are Ashby, Monticello, and Lake Taylor?" That isn't calling them overrated. I'm just surprised Monticello allowed all those points and yards to TA, a much poorer team than LT.

Looks like some posts have been deleted, the site has been glitching for over an hour.
Hoos what is up with Louisa defense? Their defense had been pretty stout up to.this year in the past. I thought they would struggle more on offense then defense.
They are young, but I and many other people, including coaches, thought it wouldn't matter, and that they would be better than last year. I was drinking the Kool-aid along with many other people who don't post here. It's pretty much all mental mistakes. They don't stay home and read assignments. They have talent and speed, but there is one huge liability, similar to Salem's defense of last year (I won't say it, but most posters know). Coach Webb is new at defensive coordinator, but he has been on the staff for years and is very smart, so I don't think it's coaching at all (I really wanna make that clear).
Oh ok. I left the knights off my list but they could be fighting for top four also, but I do not think they will be able to stay up there by seasons end
Under Coach Sherry, CHS typically improves dramatically as the season goes on, so things are looking good for them after their performance last night.

I said "just how good are Ashby, Monticello, and Lake Taylor?" That isn't calling them overrated. I'm just surprised Monticello allowed all those points and yards to TA, a much poorer team than LT.

If you're Monticello who do you get up for? Lake Taylor? or TA? Monticello played very well for a half and it was their first game, a home game, and they're playing against a team no one gave them a chance to beat so they came out jacked up. Add in we didn't play a great half or have the ball that much to muster much of anything going offensively in the first half. 2nd half different story game over.

Turn around after the game the Monticello players are really feeling themselves talking trash to our kids on social media because they were suppose to get bat by 60 and held us to 38 blah blah blah so they look at TA and think cakewalk. Probably go in there big headed have a horrible 3 quarters of football, but then their talent takes over and they win the game. Been in this situation a couple of times myself at the end of the day they're kids so there is no telling sometimes.

2012 our state championship team had one of the best defenses in school history. We were about to play doormat Churchland game gets cancelled we end up having to play them on a Wednesday afternoon at 4pm. Also we would have to turn around and play an 8-1 IC Norcom team that Saturday for the district title. Well we gave up 40 that afternoon to Churchland luckily we scored 63 on offense. That Saturday we turn around and win 49-14. Same team that held Stone Bridge to 14 points in the state finals. SMH all about motivation and if they feel like showing up.

Some personnel changes are being made to the Louisa defense. If it works out over the next couple of games, I'll move them up.

All JD teams except Fluvanna won tonight, with the biggest win a 22-21 Albemarle over Patrick Henry (Roanoke) victory.

All JD teams except Fluvanna won tonight, with the biggest win a 22-21 Albemarle over Patrick Henry (Roanoke) victory.
Yeah of the teams that the JD teams beat how many do you think will finish with a winning record? We looked pityful tonight. Every JD team except us beat spotsy. KG all ready with three losses and most likely three or four more in battlefield. I dont know much about patrick henry just saying really not much to brag on. Good win for your lions and a good win for Albemarle.

I'm just saying I'm glad most of the district won tonight, it'll help with power points, and I'll leave it at that.

I've never seen a crowd that large at William Monroe, good for them. That's one big QB they have, too.

Man, I always dread playing at Porterfield, which we do again this year. They really need to do something about that place.

The JD took care of business and won a couple they weren't expected to. My computer's not sold on anyone being awesome. The expected district win total is in parenthesis.

63.59 Western Albemarle (4.80)
61.23 Powhatan (4.43)
60.81 Albemarle (4.36)
60.17 Monticello (4.26)
59.44 Louisa (4.14)
58.04 Charlottesville (3.91)
47.77 Orange (1.46)
27.25 Fluvanna (0.63)

So there are six teams within less than a TD of each other. Orange good enough to reasonably upset any of them. Fluvanna looking a little more hopeless than ever.

This week's predictions:

Albemarle 30, Louisa 29
Charlottesville 40, Fluvanna 9
Powhatan 19, Orange 6
Western Albemarle 35, Monticello 32

Predictions for tonight:

Western Albemarle over Monticello
Charlottesville over Fluvanna
Louisa over Albemarle
Orange over Powhatan (yes... Orange. I have that rumble in my gut that they can pull it off)

Reactions: OCBoy
I've never seen a crowd that large at William Monroe, good for them. That's one big QB they have, too.

Man, I always dread playing at Porterfield, which we do again this year. They really need to do something about that place.

I agree hoos something needs to be done with porterfield. I think they need to build a stadium at the school around the track it looks like it would work. I was shocked to know that woodberry used porterfield to play. That didn't make any sense they have the same basic set up that woodberry does. If they were gonna use another stadium EV would have been the perfect stadium that was the closest.

Well well well, opening night in the wacky JD already had a couple of surprises. Here's what I think about tonight's games, and my shaken up projected finish.

Albemarle 19 Louisa 14: what can I say? That was two PLAYOFF teams going at it, and it felt like a playoff game. People will look at the score and think these two teams are weak. No, they just played stout defense, and the winning team made a couple more big plays than the losing team. I knew Albemarle had a good defense coming in, and that their offense is coming together, but this is their best defense since joining the JD. Sophomore J'Quan Anderson is a dynamic threat at QB, has wheels for legs, and a strong arm. He played RB for Monticello's JV last year, and I was telling everyone Monticello wouldn't miss Koonce that much. Well, they do, because his heir transferred to Albemarle. If this were two weeks ago, he would've destroyed Louisa's defense on the ground and through the air, but the Lions held him in check and swarmed him in the backfield all night. The Patriots' offensive and defensive lines rivaled Louisa's in size, and that defensive line was quick. Their offensive line didn't run block well, but I think Louisa's defense had something to do with that, as it was their worst rushing performance of the year, I believe. The Lion defense put in its best performance of the year, especially Quinton Ragland, and it sucks that it ended in a loss. The holes King George opened up last week were non-existent tonight. It was fun watching the young Lion defense progress mentally from the second half of last week to tonight, and execute with more discipline. They're starting to "get it" and looked like the defense I expected against Sherando. I doubt Albemarle had more than 10 rushing yards. I take my hat off to former Wahoo Brandon Isaiah, a very good and young coach, he's quickly turning that program around.

Charlottesville 33 Fluvanna 12: this was a closer game than I expected, but it seems as if Charlottesville beat themselves at times. Nevertheless, a good performance without their best runner, Rashad Brock, due to injury. DeAndre Bryant returned a blocked field goal 71 yards for a touchdown. I've said it the last few years, but this really isn't the year for a 4A West team to sleep on the Black Knights.

Western Albemarle 28 Monticello 7: it seems as if Monticello just doesn't have the supporting cast for QB Kevin Jarrell this year, or the strong offensive line they've had in the past. I think back to their Lake Taylor game, and how good LT's defense looked, but I'm starting to think Monticello's offense did them some favors, too. No, it's not a knock on LT! Maybe it's actually a knock on Western's defense. Who knows? I'm just not impressed with Monticello anymore, until they score some points against a good team. I'm also starting to think they don't have the guys to run that pressure defense like Coach Lloyd wants to. It seems everyone is having success against it.

Orange 28 Powhatan 21 Overtime: the "shocker" of the night to the casual fan, but I don't think it's that surprising. Orange has had the talent for a few years now, but has needed to be disciplined and bring things together. I predicted earlier today they'd pull the "upset". I just had the feeling Powhatan was down after all, and Orange was due for a big win. Usually, "down" by Powhatan's standards is good for most teams, but it's looking like this is a true down year for the Indians. No QB, no true stud runner like Logan Allen or Ray Brown, no stout defense.

Get ready for the real shocker. Here are my updated final projections. How's this for the typically dramatic district? I'm predicting a three-way tie! Am I just nuts or need to go to bed?

1. Western Albemarle
1. Albemarle
1. Louisa
2. Charlottesville
3. Monticello
4. Orange
5. Powhatan
6. Fluvanna

:cool:

I think Louisa can win the rest of their games, including another win over Western, setting up a big showdown with Charlottesville to end the regular season. I also think Charlottesville is very capable of beating Albemarle and Western, but I would like to see how they play next week against Monticello before I move them up for sure. I just feel like the best three or four teams are going to beat up on each other.

Last edited:
Louisa could possibly lose to Western, Orange, and Charlottesville. JD is very down this year so I wouldn't expect much noise anywhere including Western. Westerns best thing they have going is they are Div 3.

Reactions: hamspear
Well well well, opening night in the wacky JD already had a couple of surprises. Here's what I think about tonight's games, and my shaken up projected finish.

Albemarle 19 Louisa 14: what can I say? That was two PLAYOFF teams going at it, and it felt like a playoff game. People will look at the score and think these two teams are weak. No, they just played stout defense, and the winning team made a couple more big plays than the losing team. I knew Albemarle had a good defense coming in, and that their offense is coming together, but this is their best defense since joining the JD. Sophomore J'Quan Anderson is a dynamic threat at QB, has wheels for legs, and a strong arm. He played RB for Monticello's JV last year, and I was telling everyone Monticello wouldn't miss Koonce that much. Well, they do, because his heir transferred to Albemarle. If this were two weeks ago, he would've destroyed Louisa's defense on the ground and through the air, but the Lions held him in check and swarmed him in the backfield all night. The Patriots' offensive and defensive lines rivaled Louisa's in size, and that defensive line was quick. Their offensive line didn't run block well, but I think Louisa's defense had something to do with that, as it was their worst rushing performance of the year, I believe. The Lion defense put in its best performance of the year, especially Quinton Ragland, and it sucks that it ended in a loss. The holes King George opened up last week were non-existent tonight. It was fun watching the young Lion defense progress mentally from the second half of last week to tonight, and execute with more discipline. They're starting to "get it" and looked like the defense I expected against Sherando. I doubt Albemarle had more than 10 rushing yards. I take my hat off to former Wahoo Brandon Isaiah, a very good and young coach, he's quickly turning that program around.

Charlottesville 33 Fluvanna 12: this was a closer game than I expected, but it seems as if Charlottesville beat themselves at times. Nevertheless, a good performance without their best runner, Rashad Brock, due to injury. DeAndre Bryant returned a blocked field goal 71 yards for a touchdown. I've said it the last few years, but this really isn't the year for a 4A West team to sleep on the Black Knights.

Western Albemarle 28 Monticello 7: it seems as if Monticello just doesn't have the supporting cast for QB Kevin Jarrell this year, or the strong offensive line they've had in the past. I think back to their Lake Taylor game, and how good LT's defense looked, but I'm starting to think Monticello's offense did them some favors, too. No, it's not a knock on LT! Maybe it's actually a knock on Western's defense. Who knows? I'm just not impressed with Monticello anymore, until they score some points against a good team. I'm also starting to think they don't have the guys to run that pressure defense like Coach Lloyd wants to. It seems everyone is having success against it.

Orange 28 Powhatan 21 Overtime: the "shocker" of the night to the casual fan, but I don't think it's that surprising. Orange has had the talent for a few years now, but has needed to be disciplined and bring things together. I predicted earlier today they'd pull the "upset". I just had the feeling Powhatan was down after all, and Orange was due for a big win. Usually, "down" by Powhatan's standards is good for most teams, but it's looking like this is a true down year for the Indians. No QB, no true stud runner like Logan Allen or Ray Brown, no stout defense.

Get ready for the real shocker. Here are my updated final projections. How's this for the typically dramatic district? I'm predicting a three-way tie! Am I just nuts or need to go to bed?

1. Western Albemarle
1. Albemarle
1. Louisa
2. Charlottesville
3. Monticello
4. Orange
5. Powhatan
6. Fluvanna

I think Louisa can win the rest of their games, including another win over Western, setting up a big showdown with Charlottesville to end the regular season. I also think Charlottesville is very capable of beating Albemarle and Western, but I would like to see how they play next week against Monticello before I move them up for sure. I just feel like the best three or four teams are going to beat up on each other.

I think the district is at a place right now where anyone can beat anyone (except Fluvann), but Western Albemarle set themselves apart a little bit with a pretty convincing win over Monticello. I'm not sure I put Orange past anyone but Fluvanna at this point, but they've definitely earned themselves a spot in the "cluster."

Louisa could possibly lose to Western, Orange, and Charlottesville. JD is very down this year so I wouldn't expect much noise anywhere including Western. Westerns best thing they have going is they are Div 3.
I'd take us losing to Charlottesville but not anyone else in the district. Having seen all the JD teams now except for Orange, Powhatan, and WA, but knowing how WA usually matches up with us, I can confidently say that. I know Orange didn't turn into powerful tacklers in one off-season.

1. Western Albemarle
1. Albemarle
1. Louisa
2. Charlottesville
3. Monticello
4. Orange
5. Powhatan
6. Fluvanna

Well I think your chances of winning out are about as high as us winning a game this season.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
At this point, Western has to be the favorite, then Monticello, Albemarle, Orange, Charlottesville, Louisa, Powhatan, and Fluvanna.

I do think all the disrespect this district gets on here this year is a little unwarranted. Albemarle, Western, Louisa, and Monticello lost OOD games to undefeated state powerhouses, with Courtland the one exception, and we know they really beat Ponax. Western beat themselves early in the game against Brookville. Charlottesville beat themselves against Dominion. Orange lost to a healthier Eastern View. Powhatan had 5 turnovers and lost to a good Hopewell. Albemarle came from behind to beat a good PH team that people are also sleeping on. Fluvanna is the typical bottom feeder every district has. I absolutely believe playoff wins define your district, and think the JD will surprise this year.

When you are comparing district against district, don't you have look at how the teams in your district faired against the teams from other districts? Powerhouses or not, that's what the Jefferson doesn't have this year. So wouldn't that make the Jefferson weaker than those around them?

Yes, but I'm saying they aren't a bunch of scrubs, like posters here think. You don't have to be a powerhouse to win some playoff games. Those few powerhouses are outliers in the grand scheme of things. I think the Battlefield is the deepest majority 4A district, but take Brookville away and the JD would handle the Seminole teams, just as they did the Valley teams. Take Lafayette out the BRD, the JD teams would do fine against those teams. Same with Salem and Sherando and their districts. I think the JD will be formidable starting next season, nearly all the teams are young besides WA.

I do think all the disrespect this district gets on here this year is a little unwarranted. Albemarle, Western, Louisa, and Monticello lost OOD games to undefeated state powerhouses, with Courtland the one exception, and we know they really beat Ponax. Western beat themselves early in the game against Brookville. Charlottesville beat themselves against Dominion. Orange lost to a healthier Eastern View. Powhatan had 5 turnovers and lost to a good Hopewell. Albemarle came from behind to beat a good PH team that people are also sleeping on. Fluvanna is the typical bottom feeder every district has. I absolutely believe playoff wins define your district, and think the JD will surprise this year.
Patrick Henry sleeper? They are 6A and will get roasted in the playoffs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT