ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson District 2015

This is why I do not post anything about Fluvanna, but do remember these are high school kids.

This is why I do not post anything about Fluvanna, but do remember these are high school kids.
My apologies. All do respect. I did it just to give Hammy another laugh and tweak the nose of another. Shouldn't do that when that may be my own team some day. Maybe even next season.

But honestly, the Fluccos looked like they had no heart or pride. I'm sure they have at least enough talent to put up a fight. If you get punched in the nose you should get angry and throw some punches of your own. You may still lose but don't just lay there and bleed. Gotta' retain some level of self respect.

You've been here awhile and I respect your opinion. Can you think of any reasons, without bashing anyone, that this appears to be happening with Fluvanna?

My apologies. All do respect. I did it just to give Hammy another laugh and tweak the nose of another. Shouldn't do that when that may be my own team some day. Maybe even next season.

But honestly, the Fluccos looked like they had no heart or pride. I'm sure they have at least enough talent to put up a fight. If you get punched in the nose you should get angry and throw some punches of your own. You may still lose but don't just lay there and bleed. Gotta' retain some level of self respect.

You've been here awhile and I respect your opinion. Can you think of any reasons, without bashing anyone, that this appears to be happening with Fluvanna?
Yeah we just aren't good and sometimes in life your just not good at things, but you learn from failures to become a better man. I hope that's what our staff is teaching. Pride is a hard thing to swallow, and our society is quick to point out reasons or excuses why your team should be better. In reality for us their is no reason; we are not real good and the players who are better are leaving for what they believe are better opportunities.
I do agree that we need to show more fight and that is a culture that we need to find

Reactions: OCBoy
Yes, but I'm saying they aren't a bunch of scrubs, like posters here think. You don't have to be a powerhouse to win some playoff games. Those few powerhouses are outliers in the grand scheme of things. I think the Battlefield is the deepest majority 4A district, but take Brookville away and the JD would handle the Seminole teams, just as they did the Valley teams. Take Lafayette out the BRD, the JD teams would do fine against those teams. Same with Salem and Sherando and their districts. I think the JD will be formidable starting next season, nearly all the teams are young besides WA.
Hoosfan05 I usually agree with you but Brookville isn't the best team in Seminole..

The JD is there for a team that can step up and take it. Almost any is capable. The next five weeks will tell who that team is........or is not.

Reactions: one man
Hoos those Louisa uniforms last night were terrible. I know what it stands for and represents but I wasn't feeling them

I'm just glad I could finally clearly read the numbers for the first time this year. How 'bout the Lion defense, especially #72 Quinton Ragland?! Offense was sloppy though, still dealing with personnel issues along the line.

Last edited:
Lions defense improving. Those offensive numbers were disappointing, especially after last weeks profusion, even it was against a horrible opponent. One would think some of it would have carried something over, if only in regard to confidence. But despite a down year for Powhatan, those Indians are always fighters. Gotta' give em' that.

Indians have lost 10 starters to injury. Some were 2 way starters and most of the injuries are season ending. Unfortunately part of the game. Have to admire the heart and fight in spite of that.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
@Outlaws99 were some of those injuries along the offensive line? That line was imposing their will on Western. I know of the injuries to the running backs, Toxey, #55, but that many of the linemen played last year.

Last edited:
Missing the starting LT on Friday. You are correct. Several of those lineman started as So last year. Return 4 of the front 5 next year. Skill positions have been hardest hit with injuries.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Thanks, then that just influences my thoughts more that our defensive line really disrupted your line play and was in the backfield most of the night. They're getting so good so quickly, it's crazy. Powhatan tried to double #72 and #53 most of the night, still didn't work, they got blown by. Might have to name the defensive line our own little Legion of Boom if they keep this up. When they weren't getting tackles, their disruptive, physical play also allowed our linebackers to make easy plays, which is exactly what the 3-5 defense was made for. We also missed offensive tackle #79 on offense, and his backup is done for the year, and #52 was playing in a knee brace. Starting sophomore full back is also done for the year. I enjoyed #44 of Powhatan, he's a beast and shows your depth at the RB spot. I noticed #28 went out in the first half, was told he broke his ankle. I'm glad our defense got better, Powhatan would've beat us as badly or worse than Sherando if our defense was as poor as week 1.

Last edited:
I think my computer has been at least as good as the conventional wisdom all predicting scores so far in the Jefferson. I like that the Jefferson District fans are always on here and talking. Too bad we can't get all the fans to be as awesome as JD fans. Anyway, here's where we stand now.

70.44 Western Albemarle (5-1) Ranked #10 in 3A
62.46 Louisa (3-3) Ranked #26 in 4A
61.02 Monticello (4-2) Ranked #14 in 3A
59.02 Albemarle (4-2) Ranked #34 in 5A
57.77 Orange (4-2) Ranked #35 in 5A
55.26 Powhatan (2-4) Ranked #30 in 4A
50.60 Charlottesville (3-3) Ranked #35 in 4A
21.73 Fluvanna (0-6) Ranked #45 in 3A.

This seems to suggest potential for 1st round wins for Western and Monticello, but tough winning beyond that. 4A and 5A just seem a lot more loaded up as far as the playoffs go so for Louisa, Albemarle, Orange and Powhatan wins look a bit harder to deliver in the playoffs.

Anyway here's how the computer sees things:
Albmarle by 37 over Fluvanna
Western Albemarle by 8 over Louisa
Monticello by 3 over Orange
Powhatan by 5 over Charlottesville.

In other words, some pretty good match ups, with three games close enough that they could go either way.

The 3 - 4 is always difficult to adjust to when you haven't played it before. Very assignment oriented. Tough to start the season with a new defense and you have to go up against Sherando and Courtland right out of the chute. May explain a lot. Next week against WA is the real test. Fluvanna was poor. Powhatan was well down but fought. Maybe the biggest game of the regular season comes Friday for the Lions because it will be an accurate measuring stick of where Louisa really is.

3-5 defense, not 3-4. We've run the 3-5 since 2003 except for last year under coordinator Breck Hall.
My error then. I was trying to look for something encouraging in Louisa's Friday performance. Looks like I failed again. But they helped me in the Friday pickem'. I was stuck between not believing Powhatan was not that bad and that Louisa was not that good. That coin flip thing works sometimes.

Interesting that Louisa is still 7 in points in playoffs. Not looking like they can really move up much with out winning out. I am still puzzled how lions only put 8 points up with Powhatan being so beat up.

The 3 - 4 is always difficult to adjust to when you haven't played it before. Very assignment oriented. Tough to start the season with a new defense and you have to go up against Sherando and Courtland right out of the chute. May explain a lot. Next week against WA is the real test. Fluvanna was poor. Powhatan was well down but fought. Maybe the biggest game of the regular season comes Friday for the Lions because it will be an accurate measuring stick of where Louisa really is.

My error then. I was trying to look for something encouraging in Louisa's Friday performance. Looks like I failed again. But they helped me in the Friday pickem'. I was stuck between not believing Powhatan was not that bad and that Louisa was not that good. That coin flip thing works sometimes.
Everything you said still stands, just substitute 3-5 for 3-4. We ran the 4-3 last year with a bunch of seniors and have an almost entirely new group of players on defense now, mostly sophomores. Quinton Ragland is a junior, and didn't play against Courtland. It just took longer than expected to start gelling and we had to tweak some positions. We're playing now like I thought we would play in week 1. This is why tough schedules help in the long run, we would be getting destroyed now if we hadn't seen our weaknesses sooner by playing weak teams. Next year is looking great, but this year is far from over.

Last edited:
Gotta agree. Louisa has a tough schedule. But even on an off night, good teams make a play or two that becomes the difference in the game. Oscar Smith did it Friday. Lions too. LT has had their share of squeakers already. Amherst came from behind also. This is what winners do. GL on Friday. WA is no easy out.

Finally found some stats from the Powhatan game. Ragland had 7 solo tackles, 4 of those for a loss, a sack, and was in on many more plays. The kid disrupts a line all by himself, and I can't wait to see how he does against Western. 6' 5" 278 lbs and lightning quick. Whalen had 113 yards rushing but it sure didn't feel like it. Powhatan did a good job on him, but he did have a 60-yard run called back for holding.

Last edited:
We lucked out, the officials had it wrong! The Powhatan player blocked the kick before touching the kicker, which is fine. The 70-something-year-old official apparently didn't know or see it. I think they made up for it by calling the hold on our 60-yard run, but we definitely lucked out.

The way things are going right now, it's starting to look like Louisa May get that 2nd crack at the Cougars this year.

Lucked out? The personal foul was a blatent screw up by the officiating crew. We are talking about an extra point that would have tied the game being blocked by the Indians which would have made the score 7-6. Half the distance to the goal penalty on something that should not have been called resulting in a successful game winning two point conversion. Everyone in the "Jungle" knew that call was BS. How much did you pay those guys Hoo?

How could you not comprehend that I was saying Louisa was lucky because the officials messed up? Wow.

Last edited:
Well Courtland pretty much just locked up the 1 seed, and I don't see Louisa dropping to 8th. KG, Midlo, Huguenot, and Powhatan will all lose some more games.

Well Courtland pretty much just locked up the 1 seed, and I don't see Louisa dropping to 8th. KG, Midlo, Huguenot, and Powhatan will all lose some more games.
All due respect but the Lions still have Monticello, WA, Orange and Charlottesville. None of these are locks for Louisa. It's probably going to be tight at the finish.

Louisa's defense is currently playing well enough to beat everyone left on the schedule, but the question is can the offense keep up while the injuries mount? I never thought I'd say that this year. A few weeks ago I was questioning if the defense would catch up to the offense, and now it's the opposite! Since the personnel has been inconsistent, it also affects whether we run the no huddle. We did it against Courtland and Fluvanna, but didn't against Sherando, King George, Albemarle, and Powhatan.

Western is very good, Monticello is improving, Orange is improving, and Charlottesville is improving but inconsistent on both sides of the ball. If Louisa beats Western, they should be able to win out.

Last edited:
54007_809940440956_2765472_o.jpg

@OCBoy I agree with your earlier post about our pink jerseys, and I've been wondering why we didn't just keep wearing these jerseys from 2010. Well I just found out the players had to buy those jerseys that year, lol. Much sharper, less tacky.

Louisa's defense is currently playing well enough to beat everyone left on the schedule, but the question is can the offense keep up while the injuries mount? I never thought I'd say that this year. A few weeks ago I was questioning if the defense would catch up to the offense, and now it's the opposite! Since the personnel has been inconsistent, it also affects whether we run the no huddle. We did it against Courtland and Fluvanna, but didn't against Sherando, King George, Albemarle, and Powhatan.

Western is very good, Monticello is improving, Orange is improving, and Charlottesville is improving but inconsistent on both sides of the ball. If Louisa beats Western, they should be able to win out.
Better bring that defense Friday night is all I have to say!

I think the bigger concern is will Western bring a defense this time? Louisa scored at will on them last year and Western's defense doesn't seem to be better. They allowed 35 points to Powhatan, and the Indians probably would've scored more if their RB Deleon didn't get hurt in the first half and if the QB made smarter decisions passing. The Crutchfield brothers are good, but will it be enough?

Last edited:
How healthy are both teams? I guess people looking forward to that game could also say that Western Albemarle scored 50 points against Powhatan and Louisa only scored 8 according to the scores I found. Sometimes when you have a fast scoring team they tend to maybe be on defense a little more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT