ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson District 2015

7e9ih5k.png

Man, with the changes Louisa has made, the size of that line and backfield looks like a college team. They're starting to play the way they look, big. I hope they can stay healthy, continue to improve, and play up to their potential.

Last edited:
Final week predictions for the Jefferson:

Louisa County 24, Charlottesville 9
Western Albemarle 29, Albemarle 16
Orange County 46, Fluvanna County 10
Monticello 24, Powhatan County 17

In the 3A playoffs I'm liking Western's chances more. I'm still not sold that they're any kind of juggernaut, but there is no 3A juggernaut this year. I think any of about ten teams could get hot and win it all. I wouldn't dare make Western the favorite, but they'll be in the game with anyone. Monticello is probably just behind them actually, but I feel like Monticello is the best team that doesn't have a chance to win the state this year. A win in the first round seems likely, but the second round will probably provide a roadblock.

Louisa is hitting the 4A playoffs in a very down year for the East (except for the obvious LT), so who knows? The Lions definitely seem like a better team than they did at the start of October. I feel like Louisa is probably right in the middle if I ranked all the 4A East Playoff teams. If Powhatan makes it they're going to draw somebody too good for them and suffer a beating like they took last year, I'm afraid.

In 5A Orange and Albemarle will probably be outmatched in the first round as neither look to get a home game and they're going to end up having to play somebody who has faced a much tougher schedule and racked up a better record against it. I don't think either will manage to keep the playoff game close. I hope I'm wrong and both of them spring some upsets. Both schools were vastly better than last year, in my opinion, and if they keep their programs on the current trajectories, they will be formidable next year and scary after that. A trip to the playoffs should let them know how much more they have to do to play with the Tuscaroras and Massaponaxes of the world.

Same predictions from me, but I think Charlottesville can make it interesting if they limit turnovers. Lots of family amongst the kids on each team. I think this is finally @one man's first trip to The Jungle, and I think he'd enjoy it if he were going as a fan. It's annoying as a coach.

Last edited:
Same predictions from me, but I think Charlottesville can make it interesting if they limit turnovers. Lots of family amongst the kids on each team. I think this is finally @one man's first trip to The Jungle, and I think he'd enjoy it if he were going as a fan. It's annoying as a coach.

Is my first trip to the Jungle. Wish they still had the whole Lion in a cage going, that's pretty remarkable stuff. I'll tell you this Hoos, if we leave with a victory I will have surely enjoyed the visit. Anything else and I'm not going to want to talk about it, lol. From watching about 5-6 of your games, vast improvement since Sherando and Courtland. Will be a huge challenge up front defensively for us. With a pair of power run offenses, turnovers will be the deciding factor. Good Luck to your Lions! We've proven Shaunty right the last 4-5 weeks, laying eggs left and right. Still one chance to finish the year on a high note.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Been watching your guys too, turnovers and the little things have been the biggest killer. Hopefully that will be alleviated next year as the kids mature. Rakeem Davis is fun to watch as he continues to improve on his decision making, very speedy. Sabias Folley is already a beast, gonna be scary next year. They have been in every game all year. Hopefully we do a good job against C'ville's team speed. As you know, I've come to know the C'ville kids pretty well, and I'll be happy for them if they pull the upset! Can already see them coming to my desk and giving me a hard time about it haha!

Last edited:
@GilliamRatings if Orange's Tre'von Smith gets healthy and comes back from his hamstring injury, that kid can truck anyone! If Orange had a QB, they'd be a very tough out. That Power I can be scary. Good news for them and bad news for everyone else, that JV QB's gonna be a good one! I look for them to be formidable next year, Lohr has them believing they can beat anyone. Huge kids on that team.

Last edited:
@GilliamRatings if Orange's Tre'von Smith gets healthy and comes back from his hamstring injury, that kid can truck anyone! If Orange had a QB, they'd be a very tough out. That Power I can be scary. Good news for them and bad news for everyone else, that JV QB's gonna be a good one! I look for them to be formidable next year, Lohr has them believing they can beat anyone. Huge kids on that team.
Smith is a stud. We have a kid doing an admirable job at QB, but I think he knows he's not Peyton Manning. He wants to step it up in a big game.

The realist in me knosw that while Orange has has a much better year, we're not ready to beat the likes of Tuscarora, Massaponax, L.C. Bird and Highland Springs. Right now we're fighting to be good in a district in which we're almost the biggest school. When we hit the playoffs we're almost the smallest.

The 5A playoffs are FULL of NAAASTY teams. It may be the deepest any classification has ever been. There are probably 13 teams that would not surprise me if they won the state title. I don't think Orange and Albemarle stay in the game for long with any of those 13, but I don't think many 6A teams would either.

Smith is a stud. We have a kid doing an admirable job at QB, but I think he knows he's not Peyton Manning. He wants to step it up in a big game.

The realist in me knosw that while Orange has has a much better year, we're not ready to beat the likes of Tuscarora, Massaponax, L.C. Bird and Highland Springs. Right now we're fighting to be good in a district in which we're almost the biggest school. When we hit the playoffs we're almost the smallest.

The 5A playoffs are FULL of NAAASTY teams. It may be the deepest any classification has ever been. There are probably 13 teams that would not surprise me if they won the state title. I don't think Orange and Albemarle stay in the game for long with any of those 13, but I don't think many 6A teams would either.

I agree 5A is as deep a class as I've seen come through Virginia the past 10-15 years. With those RBs Orange could pull an upset in round 1 if they get the right matchup. Albemarle as well, depending on who they draw could spring an upset. At this very moment, Orange would travel to Stone Bridge and Albemarle to Mountain View. Based on how Orange struggled with Louisa's single wing last week, Stone Bridge may be a tough draw. Then again, having recently faced a similar offense, if they clean things up as they did 2nd half, they could have a chance. MV is a very good matchup for Albemarle IMO. The thing with AHS is they only go as far as the offense takes them. Will be interesting to see how they fare. I'll be rooting for both teams to rep the district.

Having watched all of our JV games (we went 5-4 btw with losses to Dominion, Albemarle, Orange and Louisa) I'd say Orange and Louisa will be frontrunners to win the district next year based on what I saw from their JV and who they have returning from varsity. Everybody in the district was young this year with the exception of Western, Monticello and Fluvanna. Although Western has 3 stud sophs with Domecq(WR-DB), Tenuta(6'6 245 DE, UVA DC Jon Tenuta's son) and Crutchfield(6-2 235 DL) and Monticello has Jarrell, the soph QB. Most of us felt like Western was a notch above the district but 2-7 was anybodys for the taking this year. Next year 1-7 will be anyone's for the taking IMO. I'd start with Louisa and Orange as frontrunners. I'm hoping that STAB, FUMA, Woodberry and Blue Ridge don't raid any of the publics of their young talent before next fall.

@one man I forgot the JV game was Monday this week, would've stayed and rapped with y'all. How did the Louisa JV QB do?

Which is the QB? The sniffer? #11 and #3 did the bulk of the damage running the ball. Neither of them were as shifty as some of the other talented JV guys I saw from Albemarle, Orange and Dominion but Louisa's guys ran with physicality and broke more tackles than any of the others. It shows how much work Louisa does in the weightroom. It was 16-6 at half, 36-12 final I believe. I left at halftime. Their line was big and physical as expected. Defensively, they ran to the ball well. Add that team to the group of sophs on varsity next year, they're going to be more than formidable.

Can't wait for Friday!

#4 has normally been the QB, Zach Liddle. He is big, can run and pass. If you didn't see him out there, maybe he got brought up to varsity this week, because he's also a good linebacker. Hmmm.... #2 was the JV main runner, but broke his collarbone against Orange in the first half. He's little but extremely fast and shifty. Next year should be very good for the JD, just have to limit the usual first-week mistakes like bad snaps which killed the JD in OOD games this year.

Last edited:
I would love for a bunch of people from outside of Orange County to come to one of our School Board meetings and spend about an hour making jokes about our athletic facilities. You think the football field is bad, come see the track...or tennis courts. I have spoken on the subject at enough School Board and Board of Supervisor meetings for one lifetime.
Some positives about Porterfield Park:

1. The added sidewalk along the east end hill is nice.
2. Those disgusting restrooms are torn down, making more room to walk and stand.
3. The home side and both hills were more packed than they've been in years.
4. All the little kids playing on the hill and on the baseball field, having a ball, but completely ignoring the football game lol.
5. The "WE ARE OC!" chants by the PA announcer and crowd when Orange does something good.

Orange is supposedly getting a new track and tennis courts behind the school in 2 years. I'll believe it when I see it, I've begged for it until I'm blue in the face. The long term plan is to move the football field to where the track is and turn Porter Field Park into a baseball only facility. It would be a beauty if they decided to do that. We had Board of Supervisors and School Board Elections today and a candidate or two were running on the we-don't-need-no-fancy-paved-track platform. It seems that when they were in high school they ran on broken glass and that our kids should appreciate the unmarked stone dust they have now.

My daughter was at Orange for 4 years and ran track and cross country all four years. She never had a home meet. I did get Montpelier to allow us to host a Cross Country Four-Way this year. First home meet in ages. Seniors cried.

Put money into the facilities. Our football field is nice, but everything else is questionable. Some of the things they did outside of the football stadium make no sense.

With another fun and crazy regular season at a close, this is how the JD finished:

1. Western Albemarle
2. Louisa
2. Monticello
3. Orange
4. Albemarle
5. Powhatan
6. Charlottesville
7. Fluvanna

Also, congrats to the Louisa JV Lions for winning the JD championship over Albemarle yesterday, 36-20.

Western Albemarle got QB Sam Hearn back, and pulled out a close one over rival Albemarle 29-27, stopping the Patriots 2-point conversion attempt to end the game. They are the #1 seed in the 3A West playoffs and face Hidden Valley.

The varsity Lions are peaking at the right time and played their best game of the season on Friday, beating Charlottesville 49-12. They rushed for 3 TDs, passed for 3 TDs, and returned an onside kick for a TD. Besides the holding penalties, it was pretty much a perfect night for Louisa. They are the 7 seed in the 4A East playoffs and face Hanover with QB Clayton Cheatham healthy.

Monticello is also peaking at the right time, finishing the season with a 28-10 win over a Powhatan team that just doesn't quit. They will face a dangerous Waynesboro team in the 3A West playoffs as a 6 seed.

Orange has exceeded expectations and finished the season with a 6-4 record, but face a 6-4 yet stout 5 seed Stone Bridge team in the 5A North playoffs as a 12 seed.

Albemarle has also had a good season, finishing 6-4 and will be an 11 seed against 6 seed 7-3 North Stafford, another tough task.

Good luck to all JD teams this week.

It's true, but who doesn't? Devils was being sarcastic, I don't think they're overrated at all. They'll need a passing game, but then again they might not, because their defense is that good.
I bet Nick Saban and Urban Myer have heard of Lake Taylor. Bet they both have spent some amount of time watching their films.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT