ADVERTISEMENT

LIVE Updates - Smithfield (0-1) at Lafayette (0-1)

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
Greetings from Sanford B. Wanner Stadium in Williamsburg on this beautiful Thursday night for football. It's the anticipated Bay Rivers District Game of the Year (in early September) as the Lafayette Rams play host to the Smithfield Packers.

Both teams are trying to bounce back from losses; Smithfield at the hands of Dinwiddie on the road and Lafayette at home against Norcom. Lafayette enters riding a 42-game Bay Rivers District winning streak.

Follow updates via my Twitter feed (@hatfieldsports) all night long + observations and stats on this thread too...

Big strike of 39 yards from Lafayette QB Cesar Ward to Jordan Ballowe has the Rams in Packers territory at the 49-yard line. Was the ideal time to call that one by Andy Linn and company with the defense stacking the box.

End 1stQ - Smithfield 0, Lafayette 0

Smithfield is 3 of 10 passing for 24 yards. They have 9 rushes for 24 yards. Total of 19 plays for 48 yards.

Lafayette is 1 of 3 passing for 39 yards. They have 8 rushes for 18 yards. Total of 11 plays for 57 yards.

No turnovers yet. Smithfield with 3 penalties for 27 yards. Lafayette with 2 penalties for 20 yards.

After getting picked on early a bit, Lafayette corner Mike Rodgers has done a better job now that he's settled in and so too have the rest of the Rams defenders. Smithfield just 3 of 13 passing.

Lafayette takes over at own 40, early 2nd period.

Very little offense over here as Lafayette goes 3 and out. And a lot of penalties in this one too.

We can tell you over on the PD (Peninsula District) from our pal Kate Yanchulis of the Daily Press that Woodside is leading Kecoughtan 20-0 in the second quarter with a backup QB playing in place of the injured Jordan Knight.

If you got up to get a soda and some popcorn, you haven't missed much. Am a bit surprised that Smithfield hasn't used more of the quick passing game (i.e. screens, dumpoffs) with Lafayette neutralizing their rush attack and speed option.

Conversely, Lafayette is having some protection issues, particularly on the left side. The Packers have done a good job on Lafayette's strong running game out of the Wing-T, limiting their runs to no gains of more than 11 yards.

Incredible play to end the first half for Lafayette as QB Cesar Ward connects with WR T.J. Epps on basically a Chuck & Pray heave. Epps goes up between two defenders, is able to haul it in and then races to the end zone, diving to the pylon (and the referee went tumbling too).

Rams have to feel ecstatic, while Smithfield heads to the locker room pretty dejected.

It'll be Lafayette ball to begin the 2nd half. Some half-time numbers in a bit...

Stats at the break...

Lafayette 7:
Cesar Ward - 4-8 for 120Yds. TD pass
T.J. Epps - 1Rec. 63Yds. TD
Jordan Ballowe - 2Rec. 41Yds.
Trey Canady - 6 Tackles (5 Solo), TFL
Jack Erwin - 4 Tackles, 2 QB Hurries

Rams with 24 plays for 156 total yards (4-8 for 120 passing; 16 carries for 37 yards rushing)... 5 penalties for 55 yards, no turnovers

Smithfield 0:
Willie Drew - 4-20 for 35Yds; 3Car. 6Yds; 6 Tackles, TFL, PBU
Caleb Brodie - 12Car. 32Yds.
Chris Gundy - 2Rec. 16Yds.
Zyreke Williams - 5 Tackles (1 Solo), 1.5TFL

Packers with 35 plays for 73 total yards (4-20 for 35 passing; 15 carries for 38 yards rushing)... 6 penalties for 52 yards, no turnovers

Surprisingly (at least to me), Smithfield begins the 2nd half with an onside kick, which Lafayette was ready for and recovers. Rams start at their own 38-yard line.

Lafayette briefly got into Smithfield territory, but a sack from Nymel Greene sends the Rams backwards. Lafayette looking at 3rd & 25 from own 33 following a penalty.

A 10-yard run from Willie Drew crossed Smithfield into Lafayette territory, but a penalty on the Packers followed by an incomplete brought up 4th down.

The Packers lined up to punt, but pull the fake punt out on 4th & 8. They pick up 6 yards. Lafayette's Raquan Blake with the stop to keep them from moving the sticks.

After the big gain from Brodie, the Lafayette defense identifies the trips left look from Smithfield, take away the bubble screen and then Mike Rodgers makes a terrific pass breakup in the end zone to prevent a touchdown.

The pass rush gets after Willie Drew with Trey Canady applying the pressure. Smithfield is forced to punt.

Smithfield's defensive line steps up big to force Lafayette to punt it right back. Credit junior d-lineman Zyreke Williams as well as senior DL/LB Jameek Jordan. Both have 5-6 tackles apiece. A couple times in the backfield for losses in Williams' case.

Lafayette now starting to pound the rock behind Dea-Mario Tyler, lowering the shoulder a few times for some tough runs. Isaac Duncan's 6-yard run has the Rams knocking on the door at the Smithfield 14-yard line with 9:15 to go.

Down 7-0, Smithfield's defense absolutely needs a stop. They've played pretty well - much better than in their opener - and know the importance of avoiding falling down two scores at this point of the game. Let's see if they get it...

Vintage Lafayette that series, using the running game with Tyler, Duncan and the Naval Academy commit Armonii Burden to finish it off - 8 of the 9 plays runs with the one big pass sprinkled in to ignite things.

Cesar Ward has 153 yards passing tonight. Smithfield has to strike quickly with 8:02 to go down by two touchdowns.

With just over 5 minutes to play and leading 14-0, Lafayette decided to go for it on 4th & 2 from their own 31 (Andy Linn decided to channel his own Les Miles, Chris Scott, insert whatever aggressive coach you like).

Rams get it as De-Mario Tyler runs with power, bulling over a defender. Smithfield may be looking at a shut out, barring a stop here and scoring quickly, while Lafayette looks to run its streak to 43 games in the district.

He's not had his best night throwing the football, but Smithfield's Willie Drew is showing why he is being recruited by UVA, ODU, Marshall and a handful of FBS schools and FCS programs to play defensive back. He's got 9 tackles tonight and has played with physicality and athleticism from the secondary. Could see him performing well as a corner or safety in college.

Before I forget - major props and a shout out to James City County Schools WiFi system, making this LIVE Blog possible tonight without me having to use data usage from my hot spot.

That's a big deal (at least in my world) considering I'm going to try to do this as well tomorrow night for Colonial Forge @ Grassfield. Don't want to go over my allotted amount and they saved me in a big way this evening.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
@ matt thank you for this.

I knew it... No rhyme or reason in the east, no order. Just a bunch of teams in the 757 floating around. If KF doesn't wallop WB then there is officially no order in 4A 757. I think LT loses to Freedom on Sat. KF goes 9-1 and wins that region going into the playoffs!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT