ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing on the Sherando vs millbrook game?

Late touchdowns propel Millbrook to win over Sherando

Millbrook's Aidan Haines (10) celebrates early in the second quarter after making the first of his three interceptions against Sherando Friday night at Millbrook High School. Millbrook won 42-31.

• Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

Millbrook quarterback Michael Buza hands off to running back Gavin Evosirch in the first quarter of their game against Sherando Friday night at Millbrook High School. Buza completed 20 of 37 passes for 362 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-winning 12-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Jackson with 4:36 left. Evosirch had 86 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries and scored the game's final touchdown by returning an interception 44 yards in the Pioneers' 42-31 win.

• Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

WINCHESTER — The Millbrook football team thought it was capable of connecting on underneath passes over the middle in front of Sherando's secondary all night.

When the stakes were highest, Millbrook's execution couldn't have been more perfect.

Senior quarterback Kaden Buza connected with Jordan Jackson on a 12-yard touchdown pass on a crossing route over the middle on fourth-and-7 with 4:36 left for the go-ahead touchdown, and Gavin Evosirch's 44-yard interception return for a TD 90 seconds later sealed a 42-31 win for the Pioneers against Sherando in Class 4 Northwestern District action on Friday night.

The Pioneers (4-1, 2-0 district) stated before Friday's game that they weren't making the Sherando (2-2, 1-1) game out to be bigger than any other game, but you could tell by the ear-to-ear smiles and the short sprints that some of the players made as they moved around the field after the whistle that Friday's win was no ordinary victory. The Pioneers' win was its first over Sherando since 2016, snapping a three-game losing streak that included a playoff loss in 2017.

"Big win," said Milbrook junior safety/wide receiver Aidan Haines, who had three of the Pioneers' four interceptions of Sherando sophomore quarterback Dylan Rodeffer. "I feel so good. This team is going to do big things, I think."

The Pioneers definitely did something big on Friday night.

Millbrook led 20-7 with 6:18 left in the second quarter but the Warriors outscored them 24-8 to take a 31-28 lead with 9:07 left, with Jack Hendren's 43-yard field goal with 9:07 left breaking the tie.

Starting at their own 35 after the kickoff went out of bounds, Millbrook marched 53 yards over 12 plays but found itself with a fourth-and-7 situation with less than five minutes remaining.

"We ran that play a bunch of times where we had a crossing route coming over from the right and a post on top of it," Buza said. "I knew the middle was wide open all night. [Jackson, crossing from the right] got a step [on his defender] and he made the catch."

Jackson said he made his cut over the middle as soon as he saw an outside linebacker make a move to the outside.

"I went inside of him and Buza threw a great ball," said Jackson, who caught the pass a few yards past the goal line. "It led me right to where I needed to be at."

That wound up being Millbrook's final offensive play before Buza took a couple of snaps in victory formation with 58 seconds left. Buza's final pass was a fitting one given how much Millbrook dominated through the air, as he completed 20 of 37 passes for 362 yards and three TDs with no interceptions. Jackson (eight catches for 162 yards) and T.J. Spain (90- and 30-yard TD receptions) did the most damage on the receiving front.

Millbrook could have had a lot more yardage through the air, but the Pioneers dropped a few passes and also had a 69-yard TD pass to Evosirch wiped out by an ineligible player downfield after Buza extended the play by rolling right.

Buza did well to extend plays throughout the game, which helped to negate Sherando's pressure when the Warriors brought it. But Buza also credited the offensive line for keeping him comfortable and clean (Sherando had one sack, that from Payne Bauer). That group featured left tackle Dejon Baylor, left guard Tyler Duckstein, center Andrew Dennard, Michael Villa at right guard for the first half before departing with an injury and Landon Anderson in the second half, and right tackle Zach Harrison.

"They were amazing," Buza said. "They did perfect.

"We knew we could pass and run the ball effectively on them. We just had to be physical with them, and that's what happened."

Millbrook rolled up 457 yards of offense against the Warriors, with Evosirch adding 86 yards and two TDs on 18 rushing attempts.

"We could have had 600 yards," Pioneers coach Josh Haymore said. "We were confident in what we were doing. The kids really have confidence. They run good routes, they run fast routes, and Buza does a good job of seeing where he needs to be with the ball."

Millbrook's game-winning drive was set by a third straight stop by its defense.

After the Pioneers tied the game at 28-28 on Evosirch's 1-yard TD run and Buza's 2-point pass to Jackson with 10:53 left (Haines helped set up the TD by returning an interception off a deflected pass 26 yards to the Sherando 34), Millbrook got burned by Bauer for the second time on a squib kickoff (he also had a 25-yard return in the first half). Bauer fielded it at his own 35 and returned it 40 yards to the Millbrook 25.

But a Sherando team that has been plagued all year by penalties (they had 10 for 85 yards on Friday) committed a holding penalty on first down, and ultimately they had to settle for Hendren's field goal after an incompletion and two short completions.

"We were pumped up after that," Haines said. "I thought that was a momentum changer in the game. I thought they were going to score, the way they were running the ball."

Millbrook didn't have much success at all stopping Darius Lane (27 carries for 200 yards and two TDs), but the inexperienced Logan Rodeffer (second start) wasn't able to have the same type of impact in the passing game for Sherando.

The sophomore made a brilliant throw to Jabril Hayes (nine catches for 115 yards and two TDs) on a deep strike inside the 10 that went for a 44-yard touchdown with 1:47 left in the first half to make it 20-14 Millbrook. But he completed only half of his other 28 passes for 127 yards, one TD (a 39-yard catch and run on a pass to Hayes in the left flat that gave the Warriors a 28-20 lead with 8:29 left in the third quarter) and finished with the four interceptions.

On the possession after Millbrook made it 31-28, the Warriors again put themselves in a rough spot with an illegal procedure penalty that made it second-and-15 from its own 20, and two plays later Rodeffer threw an errant high pass that Evosirch easily intercepted before running it back for the score.

"I thought our defense really stepped up in the fourth quarter," Haymore said. "We weren't playing for pass rush, we were playing to stop the run. I think I blitzed one time. We just kept guys in their positions and tried to make them play perfect offense, and they didn't."

Sherando coach Bill Hall said for whatever reason, the Warriors couldn't find a rhythm.

"I thought we were out of sync all night," said Hall, whose team did have 393 total yards. "I don't know if that speaks specifically to offense, defense, special teams. We were a little bit out of sync, and that's up to me to make sure we come in ready to go, and I just didn't think we played our best ballgame tonight."

Millbrook had 11 takeaways coming into Friday, and Hall said the turnover differential was just too much to overcome. Sherando didn't have one takeaway.

"I think if you're minus-four, you lose 90-some percent of the time," Hall said. "I thought we responded well to start the second half, but we didn't play the way we're capable of. Give Millbrook credit. They played a good ballgame, and we didn't play to the standard we expect of ourselves."

Hayes gave a lot of credit for Millbrook making plays, and to his own team for responding after falling behind 20-7.

"We continued to fight all the way until the last second of the game," Hayes said. "I think this was crucial for us this game, and will definitely be important for us moving forward."

Also for Sherando, Jay'lin Polston had a 53-yard kickoff return to the Millbrook 25 that set up Lane's 8-yard TD run that made it 21-20 36 seconds into the second half.

Sherando will play at Harrisonburg in its final non-district game next week, while Millbrook will travel to district foe Fauquier. The Pioneers said Friday they'll enjoy the Sherando win that night, but after that they'll be moving past it.

"I'm not taking any joy out of these kids' hearts right now," Haymore said. "They played hard and did a fantastic job."

I’ve been pretty critical of Sherando all year. I’ve mentioned how their secondary has big holes that will be exploited and the continuous poor tackling. Finally a team gashed that secondary which I’ve said needed work.

I will add that the learning curve for the sophomore qb was very evident in this game. He’s still a good qb but made several errant passes. Darius Lane still proved to be a great rb totaling 200 yards.

For Millbrook: I think they played a lights out game. I would say though, and I know I’ll get negative feedback on this comment, the refs were clearly not calling the game both ways and extending some of Millbrooks drives by not calling some fouls.

I understand that holding could be called on every play but Sherando has a pretty good defensive line and blitzes Bauer heavily. I saw many plays where the holding was obvious and many fans on the Sherando side we’re yelling it all game which leads me to believe I wasn’t the only one seeing this. Secondly, when the pressure was heavy the millbrook an would take off and then throw the ball when he was above the line of scrimmage. This happened on more than one occasion and was not called once.

Great win for Millbrook but I honestly don’t see this team making much, if any noise in the playoffs. If it’s of any consolation, I don’t see Sherando making any noise either. Don’t expect their senior qb to be back either, I understand it’s a broken foot.

Correct.

Although I’m pretty sure only one of those occurred outside of 4th qtr. my point being is that Sherando was playing against the clock making it easily predictable they were passing the ball.

Easy to catch fish when you know where they are going to be.

Reactions: Shruikan
Correct.

Although I’m pretty sure only one of those occurred outside of 4th qtr. my point being is that Sherando was playing against the clock making it easily predictable they were passing the ball.

Easy to catch fish when you know where they are going to be.
Sherando was up 8 points at the end of the Third Quarter, totally mismanaged game in the fourth quarter in my opinion.

You’re right. They did not do themselves any favors. Injuries or not they made some mistakes (coaching) they don’t usually error on.

Like I’ve mentioned though, Sherando has a very week pass defense and Millbrook coach saw that on film. Millbrook qb throws a pretty ball too, does he have any offers?

Millbrook got away with blatant holding all night and the same lenience was not given to Sherando, but you can't let the receivers get as open as they were regardless. Millbrook's QB basically had his choice of open receivers on every play, without a Warrior defender within five or ten yards. I think a healthy Sherando wins that game, but the better team won last night for sure.

Will give credit where it's due though, Millbrook's QB never panicked when Bauer got close and still managed to hit his targets even under pressure. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some offers if he doesn't have any yet. Great performance on his part. I noticed he went down late in the game, hope it's nothing too serious.

All that said, neither Millbrook nor Sherando have anything for Broad Run or Tuscarora based off the performances last night.

I will agree with the synopsis of the blatant holding going on by the home team. But, Sherando in my opinion would have faired better in that game if they were in a Dime zone defense more often . The Millbrook QB although solid , doesn’t have a extremely strong arm, I think Sherando could have gotten some pics if there were a few guys playing Centerfield . Sherando defensive front did a good job of stopping the run of Millbrook. Also Sherando was running the ball at will most of the game, no Need for the young QB throwing the ball 29 times. Especially when the warriors had the 8 point lead in the 4th. Just my opinion. But it was a fun game to watch , I had a great time watching the game.

Sounds like some of you need to volunteer your “expert” services to Coach Hall and to the Winchester Football Officials Association!

It’s not healthy to be so emotionally invested that you have to criticize high school kids, football coaches, and/or officials to make yourself feel better about a loss.

Reactions: tw2126
Sounds like some of you need to volunteer your “expert” services to Coach Hall and to the Winchester Football Officials Association!

It’s not healthy to be so emotionally invested that you have to criticize high school kids, football coaches, and/or officials to make yourself feel better about a loss.
Sounds like you feel like no one should ever get criticism. The only way to actually improve is to receive criticism and to develop different game plans. A loss is a loss, what’s wrong with actually looking into why a team lost to see what can be taken away from it? Sherando’s defense got torched the whole game, anyone that’s been watching the team this year could’ve told you it was bound to happen. And to be fair to the players, it very well could’ve been because the DC had the team blitzing all night and that only worked a couple of times. There were some really bad calls and missed calls as well, going up against Millbrook, that was no surprise. Did it impact the game? Unfortunately, yes I do think it did. Does that excuse the poor performance in the secondary? No. They need to look back at this game and see what they need to improve on, just like they should look at criticism to see what they need to improve on.

This is such a lazy mindset to have and I hate that it's become so commonplace in today's society. It's as if being invested in something is somehow a bad thing and everyone should be carefree and happy with any result. Do I think I could have done a better job than anyone out the field or on the sidelines, officials included? Hell no, but that doesn't mean I have to walk away with an "ah gee willikers, that sure was a fine game, I can't wait for the next one," happy-go-lucky attitude.

It's the same lazy argument people use to defend films nowadays. If you point out a flaw in a film, that film's defense force will rush out and shout "you couldn't do it any better!" No duh, that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to express a negative opinion. Even filmmakers and actors are going on social media nowadays and complaining that fans being discontent with something they've made is bullying. It's absurd. People don't have to be happy every second of every day, this isn't Brave New World.

Does that mean it's okay to scream at players or insult them on sites like this? No. But no one here is doing that. We're just having a discussion, which is the entire point of forums like this. Passion is not a bad thing.

Actually, the “lazy mindset” are those who are critical of others, anonymously, without providing a solution or be willing to get involved. If you have such a strong “passion” why not give coaching or officiating a try, so you can actually make a difference? But it’s much easier to sit around and post comments about what you would have done differently, after the fact, when you aren’t publicly held accountable for your decisions or actions!

So far, this discussion includes: biased officiating, game mismanaged by the coaches, coaching mistakes, blatant holding, needing to play a dime zone coverage, a healthy Sherando would have won the game, the DC blitzed all night which was ineffective, and so on....

Sounds more like sore losers than constructive criticism to me.

Actually, the “lazy mindset” are those who are critical of others, anonymously, without providing a solution or be willing to get involved. If you have such a strong “passion” why not give coaching or officiating a try, so you can actually make a difference? But it’s much easier to sit around and post comments about what you would have done differently, after the fact, when you aren’t publicly held accountable for your decisions or actions!

So far, this discussion includes: biased officiating, game mismanaged by the coaches, coaching mistakes, blatant holding, needing to play a dime zone coverage, a healthy Sherando would have won the game, the DC blitzed all night which was ineffective, and so on....

Sounds more like sore losers than constructive criticism to me.
Football Gr8 thinks no one can have opinions. What world are you living in that no one receives criticism? People will always be observed and critiqued, doesn’t matter what job you do.

I wouldn’t give into it fellas, that’s what he’s looking for. Let’s try not to let him get this thread locked.

You all said it right in that this is a forum and this is the place where you can express your opinion. It doesn’t mean your opinion is right or wrong...that’s why it’s your opinion.

I don’t think anyone was sore here, I think everyone gave credit to Millbrook and gave opinions where they thought it was merited.

I’m not sure what the reference about being held “accountable” for having an opinion. We’re all going to be taken out behind the shed if that’s the case.

I wouldn’t give into it fellas, that’s what he’s looking for. Let’s try not to let him get this thread locked.

You all said it right in that this is a forum and this is the place where you can express your opinion. It doesn’t mean your opinion is right or wrong...that’s why it’s your opinion.

I don’t think anyone was sore here, I think everyone gave credit to Millbrook and gave opinions where they thought it was merited.

I’m not sure what the reference about being held “accountable” for having an opinion. We’re all going to be taken out behind the shed if that’s the case.
Personally , I was just giving my thoughts on the game . Not bashing or being over critical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT