ADVERTISEMENT

Orange pulls upset over Powhatan 28-21 OT

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Told you they were good enough to upset anyone in district.
Albemarle holds off Louisa 19-14
Western whoops Monticello 28-7
C'ville all over Fluvanna 33-12

I think these results make Western a more clear favorite in the district now.

Well I'm a little disappointed I got every JD game right except ours. SMH, but I had that feeling about the Orange game. They have talent and it showed tonight!

I think these results show that Powhatan and Louisa and low in the pecking order of the conferences 19 & 20 pod. Eastern View handled this Orange team and then Eastern View was handled by Chancellor. Louisa was handled by Courtland, not saying both of these teams don't have the ability to beat someone, but at this juncture, they are both just fighting in the 2nd half of the season to make the playoffs.

Absolutely. None of these teams in the JD look like they're more than one and dones come playoff time. If they get there and especially the seedlings they'll get. I mean, Orange is not good at all and they beat the normally strong Powhatan. Frankly, the Indians have not been the same since they entered the JD. Apparently, they're not in Kansas (or the SouthSide) anymore.

Courtland is better than last year. Moving Jabari Allen from QB to WR and Chet Wilborne to QB has made a big difference in their offensive power. No Louisa shouldn't have allowed 50 points, and a rematch would be much closer, but I won't be surprised if Courtland wins the East. Louisa will be fine, and if Albemarle's young offense continues to improve, they will make some noise in their playoffs. Powhatan is down.

Last edited:
I think these results show that Powhatan and Louisa and low in the pecking order of the conferences 19 & 20 pod. Eastern View handled this Orange team and then Eastern View was handled by Chancellor. Louisa was handled by Courtland, not saying both of these teams don't have the ability to beat someone, but at this juncture, they are both just fighting in the 2nd half of the season to make the playoffs.
YEP. Best statement I have read. Not so sure that either team really deserves playoffs. I don't see Louisa or Powhatan winning out. Both have to beat upset a d3 team just not many points left on their schedule. Beating Fluvanna won't give either many points. Only way for either to improve seed is beating Western.

Told you they were good enough to upset anyone in district.
Albemarle holds off Louisa 19-14
Western whoops Monticello 28-7
C'ville all over Fluvanna 33-12

I think these results make Western a more clear favorite in the district now.
Powhatan is overrated anyway. Orange will beat more Jefferson teams coming up too...

Absolutely. None of these teams in the JD look like they're more than one and dones come playoff time. If they get there and especially the seedlings they'll get. I mean, Orange is not good at all and they beat the normally strong Powhatan. Frankly, the Indians have not been the same since they entered the JD. Apparently, they're not in Kansas (or the SouthSide) anymore.
I been saying it for years Powhatan came from that weak district thinking they were gonna do something in the Jefferson and they haven't. They are average at best.

Powhatan is overrated anyway. Orange will beat more Jefferson teams coming up too...
You may be right OCBoy! I would not have picked OC to be 3-1 right now. Best thing Orange did was hiring Lohr as their head coach. He has wanted this job for a while and seems to have given Orange some hope at finishing with a winning season. They should beat Fluvanna and if they can win two more games they have had their first winning season since when?

Reactions: OCBoy
I been saying it for years Powhatan came from that weak district thinking they were gonna do something in the Jefferson and they haven't. They are average at best.
There is some truth to this, but Powhatan did win the district last season. Good win for Orange, who do they have next week?

I want to believe in Louisa but the results just say otherwise, like Shauntclair stated, if either Louisa or Powhatan makes it to the playoffs, it will be a quick exit. Neither team is really close to the level of the upper tier teams in conference 19 & 20

I want to believe in Louisa but the results just say otherwise, like Shauntclair stated, if either Louisa or Powhatan makes it to the playoffs, it will be a quick exit. Neither team is really close to the level of the upper tier teams in conference 19 & 20
Exactly! Thats why I really do not think pod 19 and 20 is better than the 757 pod. I think they are pretty even.

Exactly! Thats why I really do not think pod 19 and 20 is better than the 757 pod. I think they are pretty even.

I think the pods are pretty even, however, Lake Taylor is by far the best team in 4A East and clearly the team to beat. Courtland might score some points, but Lake Taylor would overwhelm Courtland eventually because of the Cougars' depth issues

I'll just say that if Louisa makes the playoffs and ends up playing Monacan first, I will be happy, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Playoff game for Lions and Indians might be when they both meet up. Winner might get that 8th spot, someone has to make the playoffs the way the system is set up now. I do not know who Hugenot has left.

I think the pods are pretty even, however, Lake Taylor is by far the best team in 4A East and clearly the team to beat. Courtland might score some points, but Lake Taylor would overwhelm Courtland eventually because of the Cougars' depth issues
Yeah I agree with that.

I'll just say that if Louisa makes the playoffs and ends up playing Monacan first, I will be happy, and I'm going to leave it at that.
Whay happened to Louisa tonight Hoos? After the past two weeks putting all these points up I would have thought Louisa would have scored more points tonight?

Good news for Lions they will have their easiest game next week and maybe that will get them going.

Whay happened to Louisa tonight Hoos? After the past two weeks putting all these points up I would have thought Louisa would have scored more points tonight?
Albemarle defense defended Louisa better than Courtland and King George, simple as that, and we overthrew 2 or 3 would-be touchdown passes. Again, we'll be fine. I'm happy with the progress on defense, hardly any mental mistakes with assignments, etc.

Albemarle defense defended Louisa better than Courtland and King George, simple as that, and we overthrew 2 or 3 would-be touchdown passes. Again, we'll be fine. I'm happy with the progress on defense, hardly any mental mistakes with assignments, etc.
Well call it what you want, but Albemarle is not going to be the best team that Louisa sees after they destroy us next week their schedule does not get any easier for them. Louisa has been on the road forever so they are due a nice homestand at some point this season.

I don't know that depth issues would be the reason Courtland would not win such a game. It's just the way the Cougars play. This is what we run. Stop us if you can. And it will be good enough to beat almost any 4A team. They do have lots of talent and the defense is good. But with the way LT runs their defense, there's no way the Wing wins. Like lambs to a hungry Lion. The only way the Cougars win this game is with one hell of a good offensive game plan that throws stuff at LT that are both quick and unexpected. I expect Hall to stick with his bread and butter but it wouldn't be the first time he surprised me. In addition, "risk takers are difference makers". If it ever gets between these two, we'll see. I will certainly be rooting for my blueberries but my pickem' will be easy.

You may be right OCBoy! I would not have picked OC to be 3-1 right now. Best thing Orange did was hiring Lohr as their head coach. He has wanted this job for a while and seems to have given Orange some hope at finishing with a winning season. They should beat Fluvanna and if they can win two more games they have had their first winning season since when?
Orange is good and Lohr is the perfect fit for this team. Watch out for Orange Jefferson people...And yes Powhatan won the district last year but got beat easily in the playoffs

No disrespect but Courtland is average at best and I will put all of my tuition that if they are in a position to make some noise, they'll choke. Very talented when you start breaking down their players but NOT a team that's ready for the big boys in Hanover, Dinwiddie, and LT. Sorry.

Disagree with that. What are you basing that off of that they are just average? Court land can play with Hanover Dinwiddie and even beat them. LT is a whole different story but to say Coirtland is just average isn't accurate at all

No disrespect but Courtland is average at best and I will put all of my tuition that if they are in a position to make some noise, they'll choke. Very talented when you start breaking down their players but NOT a team that's ready for the big boys in Hanover, Dinwiddie, and LT. Sorry.
When they aren't fumbling and actually executing, they can hang with just about anyone this year. They haven't fumbled since the Riverbend game. The changes to their offense they should've made a year sooner, they made this year. I'm not sure how any team is going to stop Greene inside, speedsters Lawson and Cheetham on sweeps, and Allen and Grant at wide-out with Wilborne and his cannon arm at QB when they're clicking. Contain, yes, but not stop. Moving Allen to wide receiver gives them more needed size and especially speed at that position that they've been lacking, and they can still use him for trick plays to pass the ball. After a few weeks of seeing them, I definitely think they'd blow out Massaponax without the fumbling, and could be the true #2 in the East behind LT. I'd pay $20 to see them play LT.

Last edited:

Courtland played Massaponax to a near-draw and I would favor the Panthers over both Hanover and Dinwiddie without hesitation.

That is not to say that I would favor Courtland over both Hanover and Dinwiddie because styles make fights but I'd be shocked if the Cougars lost to either team by more than 10-14 points should they meet up and I have see two of the three teams in person this year.

Courtland does a whole lot of things right.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Average at best is wholly inaccurate.

I would say that with the exception of Western, the district will be cannon fodder come playoff time.

Courtland is better than last year. Moving Jabari Allen from QB to WR and Chet Wilborne to QB has made a big difference in their offensive power. No Louisa shouldn't have allowed 50 points, and a rematch would be much closer, but I won't be surprised if Courtland wins the East. Louisa will be fine, and if Albemarle's young offense continues to improve, they will make some noise in their playoffs. Powhatan is down.
Albemarle would lose by 50 points in the 5A playoffs. I don't see how they or Orange would draw anything but a monster in the first round.

I usually agree with you DSH, but I think you're off here. I believe Courtland is much better than average. They could even be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East, but there's a big divide between 1 & everyone else. For them to choke they kind of have to be better than avg, I think you contradicted yourself there. My guess is your post was directed at Shauntclair to pay him back a bit since he has been critical of GW even when they beat Courtland.

I like Salem, Jefferson Forest and Sherando...My computer has a crush on Woodgrove, but I think Lake Taylor is 3 TD's better than anyone in 4A right now. The Titans would be even money to win 5A or 6A in my opinion.

I don't expect Louisa to make it past the first round. They are 1-3 now and they lost their first district game to Albemarle. Seems like your expectations for Louisa may be a little high again. They'll have tough district games with Western Albemarle, Powhatan, Monticello, Charlottesville, and even Orange now that they've beaten Powhatan. I wouldn't start talking about hypothetical match ups with Monacan, If they don't start winning they may just miss out on the playoffs altogether.

I usually agree with you DSH, but I think you're off here. I believe Courtland is much better than average. They could even be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East, but there's a big divide between 1 & everyone else. For them to choke they kind of have to be better than avg, I think you contradicted yourself there. My guess is your post was directed at Shauntclair to pay him back a bit since he has been critical of GW even when they beat Courtland.
Of course it's a shot Mike but I have to accept it. Cougars choked against GW last year. Just no question about it. Could happen again. But the Cougars are hardly an average team.

Of course it's a shot Mike but I have to accept it. Cougars choked against GW last year. Just no question about it. Could happen again. But the Cougars are hardly an average team.
I don't think they're avg either, playing in the East will be much more difficult once it gets to the semi's level for sure.

I don't expect Louisa to make it past the first round. They are 1-3 now and they lost their first district game to Albemarle. Seems like your expectations for Louisa may be a little high again. They'll have tough district games with Western Albemarle, Powhatan, Monticello, Charlottesville, and even Orange now that they've beaten Powhatan. I wouldn't start talking about hypothetical match ups with Monacan, If they don't start winning they may just miss out on the playoffs altogether.
The JD is wide open. WA seems to have the upper hand but no one clearly rises to the top. Other than Fluvanna, they all seem to be pretty average. Nothing more. Anything can happen from here but I can't see any one of them being more than one and done in the playoffs, if they get there.

Albemarle surprised me, and I won't be the only person they surprise. They have a good defense. Charlottesville is the only other team I can see us losing to after seeing all the JD teams except WA, Orange, and Powhatan. Their defense is on par with Albemarle's. WA will struggle against our quickness like last year, we aren't a good match up for them, and I'm still not sold on their defense. Powhatan is not good, and I know Orange didn't turn into powerful tacklers in one off-season. Our biggest issue right now is our line just can't seem to consistently play together without something happening, but I still have expectations to make the playoffs, upset someone in the first round, and see where things go from there. I'm not giving up on them until the fat lady sings, after our defensive performance last night! If they were still playing defense like they were a few weeks ago, I would've thrown in the towel after last night.

Last edited:
Powhatan is having a down year, yes. But to mention any previous success being purely based on having a Southside District schedule is ludicrous. They have had really good teams plow through the southside AND go through Region 1 having a Southside schedule.

Take a look at Powhatan's starting line-up week 1 as compared to right now. It looks a whole lot different.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT