• Phoebus

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Heritage-Lynchburg

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Two traditional power house programs with sound coaching staffs. Who ya got.

Last edited:
Phoebus is the powerhouse, who is the other?

Might be a little closer with Phoebus Starting QB out for the game but back up Senior is still very good.

Phoebus is the powerhouse, who is the other?

Might be a little closer with Phoebus Starting QB out for the game but back up Senior is still very good.
Really? The Pioneers have made the playoffs every season since Coach Bradley's arrival in 2012. I may be missing one, but I believe this is Heritages 4th appearance in the finals during the same time period. I think the above stated facts are clear evidence of a consistent powerhouse program.

Your Lafayette Rams have appeared in two finals (one COVID year) during the same time period and Phoebus will be making their third appearance since 2012. So I guess you are right one could question who the real power house is?

Don't get me wrong Phoebus has earned their power house title, but don't go laying smack down on a team you haven't researched.

Last edited:
Really? The Pioneers have made the playoffs every season since Coach Bradley's arrival in 2012. I may be missing one, but I believe this is Heritages 4th appearance in the finals during the same time period. I think the above stated facts are clear evidence of a consistent powerhouse program.

Your Lafayette Rams have appeared in two finals (one COVID year) during the same time period and Phoebus will be making their third appearance since 2012. So I guess you are right one could question who the real power house is?

Don't get me wrong Phoebus has earned their power house total, but don't go laying smack down on a team you haven't researched.
I knew I would get your dander up!! Your right of course but when I think of powerhouse I think of Phoebus, LT, Salem , Oscar Smith, Dinwiddie, and a few others. Many other excellent teams but not necessarily “power houses”. Matter of interpretation. I see Lafayette as an excellent team but not a powerhouse on the State stage.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong Phoebus has earned their power house total, but don't go laying smack down on a team you haven't researched.

To go a bit further, as I was curious, Heritage has more rings than Dinwiddie (used them as they were mentioned). Dinwiddie is absolutely a powerhouse to me (as are all the teams mentioned)

If it is only about winning championships, then not many teams would meet the criteria, especially if you quantify it to recent titles.

Depending on people definition of Powerhouse just because you win one or two championships within 10 years don't make you a Powerhouse try the Hampton team's 80s 90s early 2000s or Phoebus, highland springs, lc brid ,Riverhead and like someone said Salem teams who consistently have won championships year after year.

Reactions: Lafayette
Depending on people definition of Powerhouse just because you win one or two championships within 10 years don't make you a Powerhouse try the Hampton team's 80s 90s early 2000s or Phoebus, highland springs, lc brid ,Riverhead and like someone said Salem teams who consistently have won championships year after year.

I think the point that BN was making and what I was saying is that you can't use different criteria for teams.

Historically speaking, no question that Hampton is, but recently not as much. And while they are HUGE favorites to win a 2nd in a row, Phoebus has not had as much success in the past decade plus as Heritage.

But I will tell you, I certainly don't understand all the animosity/disrespect towards Heritage and the rest of the Class. I understand if it were LCA. I understand thinking your team is that good. I understand cheering for others in your area/region etc. Maybe its just the way I was raised, but I don't understand need to be negative towards others to make a point.

But it is what it is. Good luck to BOTH Phoebus and Heritage, hope for a good close game and most importantly no injuries. And good luck to George Wythe (2nd appearance), Riverheads (8th in 10 years), Central Woodstock (1st ever appearance), Graham (3rd appearance), Dinwiddie (and my buddies BN and DP: 3rd appearance this decade) and Kettle Run (1st ever appearance), Maury (3rd appearance this decade), Highland Springs (6th appearance), Freedom (2nd appearance total), and James Madison (2nd appearance in the past decade)

Phoebus wins. Sucks starting QB won’t be available due to injury but the backup has been in the program for 5 years and was suppose to be starter this year anyway. Been a black cloud over what has been a great season. Speedy recovery to Boosie James.

Reactions: Lafayette
Phoebus wins. Sucks starting QB won’t be available due to injury but the backup has been in the program for 5 years and was suppose to be starter this year anyway. Been a black cloud over what has been a great season. Speedy recovery to Boosie James.
I hope Boosie is ok. Hate to see him get hurt. That being said, i think Jalen will do a great job.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
It is crazy that in order to root for your team you have to trash another. At the end of the day these are kids(who play for fun) and coaches(who don't get paid a lot). Whether you go 0-10 or 15-0, root for your team and keep it moving. Most coaches do things the right way and try to not only teach football but life skills. Life skills last waay longer than football, even if you win a ring.

Last edited:
It is crazy that in order to root for your team you have to trash another. At the end of the day these are kids(who play for fun) and coaches(who don't get paid a lot). Whether you go 0-10 and 15-0, root for your team and keep it moving. Most coaches do things the right way and try to not only teach football but life skills. Life skills last waay longer than football, even if you win a ring.
This! 🔥🔥🔥👏👏👏

Reactions: catchtds
Most coaches do things the right way and try to not only teach football but life skills. Life skills last waay longer than football, even if you win a ring.
This is why I will always be grateful to Coach Smith for the Appomattox Raiders (2A). Out of the last 8 years they have made it to the semi final game twice and won the state 5 other times. Still the best things he has done is teaching those boys what truly matters in life.

Pioneers 17-14 in an upset. With the exception of last year Phoebus seems to struggle with teams from the West at the state level. Saturday won't be any different. Go Pioneers!

Pioneers 17-14 in an upset. With the exception of last year Phoebus seems to struggle with teams from the West at the state level. Saturday won't be any different. Go Pioneers!
What teams have Phoebus struggled with? They lost to Stone bridge in 2007 and then beat them in 2008, 2009 & 2010. Phoebus lost to Heritage in 2018 in a close game. This year's Phoebus team is arguebly one of its best teams. Any team that has beaten Phoebus, they have always returned the favor. Ask Hopewell, ask Stone Bridge, ask Lake Taylor, ask Oscar Smith. After looking at the film, it looks like a bad match up for Heritage. Phoebus has revenge on thier mind and thier lowest point total this yr was 25 to a state semifinal team that couldnt score on them. No team has score more then 16 points(Lake Taylor) in playoffs. They have seven shutouts. Arguebly one of the best teams in the state. Phoebus 34 - Heritage 14. But i do understand you hv to rout for your team. There is nothing wrong with that.

What teams have Phoebus struggled with? They lost to Stone bridge in 2007 and then beat them in 2008, 2009 & 2010. Phoebus lost to Heritage in 2018 in a close game. This year's Phoebus team is arguebly one of its best teams. Any team that has beaten Phoebus, they have always returned the favor. Ask Hopewell, ask Stone Bridge, ask Lake Taylor, ask Oscar Smith. After looking at the film, it looks like a bad match up for Heritage. Phoebus has revenge on thier mind and thier lowest point total this yr was 25 to a state semifinal team that couldnt score on them. No team has score more then 16 points(Lake Taylor) in playoffs. They have seven shutouts. Arguebly one of the best teams in the state. Phoebus 34 - Heritage 14. But i do understand you hv to rout for your team. There is nothing wrong with that.
My bad I was just speaking of the losses Phoebus has had to teams from the west at the state level only since moving down to D3. Don't get me wrong my friend I have mad respect for the Phoebus program and what they have accomplished going back to the days of Coach Bill Dee. Phantoms are favored and should be. Just hoping Heritage can pull off the huge upset.

My bad I was just speaking of the losses Phoebus has had to teams from the west at the state level only since moving down to D3. Don't get me wrong my friend I have mad respect for the Phoebus program and what they have accomplished going back to the days of Coach Bill Dee. Phantoms are favored and should be. Just hoping Heritage can pull off the huge upset.
I understand. Anybody can win on any given day. Phoebus is favored but being favored doesnt gaurantee a win. Good luck to both teams. I know one thg. Heritage has came a long way from its blow out loss to dinwiddie on 9/2. Credit to the HC Bradley. He is a gd one.

This is why I will always be grateful to Coach Smith for the Appomattox Raiders (2A). Out of the last 8 years they have made it to the semi final game twice and won the state 5 other times. Still the best things he has done is teaching those boys what truly matters in life.
Coach Smith is the man! I was fortunate to have played for him in high school! He is absolutely has a large responsibility in me being the man I am today.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Last year wasn't an exception either. They won 21-14 and it took two defensive TDs for that. Offense vs Offense LCA won 14-7 last year.

FjTGZQqXoAA1_99

Event location: Liberty University, Williams Stadium.
Tickets must be purchased through
http://GoFan.com
https://twitter.com/mettsphotos/status/1600121915841970178/photo/1

Last year wasn't an exception either. They won 21-14 and it took two defensive TDs for that. Offense vs Offense LCA won 14-7 last year.
The goal is to win the game. All LCA did lastyear was makes excuses for losing on thier hm field. I hope Heritage doesnt do the same thg if they lose. I cant remember the last time Phoebus loss back to back to the same team. They have 7 shutouts and beat the 2 time defending 6A Champs Oscar Smith 56-0. Defense wins championships but Phoebus offense is pretty good. They have speed and alot of athletes. Good luck to both teams.

I would like to see Phoebus go out with a bang.
Win or lose this is their last go around in Class 3.
Next year they will be in Region 4A

Reactions: 1Gensfan

Don't get me wrong Phoebus has earned their power house title, but don't go laying smack down on a team you haven't researched.
While your assessments of Phoebus losing to Blacksburg and Magna Vista are correct, your assessment, at best, is rhetoric. But what I will give you is that this year,, Phoebus has started slow in the playoffs. You provide no reason behind them struggling against either team. For Blacksburg, the Phantoms were reeling. Not only were they still recovering from graduations, but their head coach was still building his program. Do not confuse 2016 Phoebus with the Phoebus that controlled D5 from 2001-2011. They are entirely different programs. Bill Dee has since passed away and Stan Sexton was fired. I find it amazing that Phoebus loses the best/fastest player on their team to national recruiting and people act like it doesn't matter. Phoebus without Robbie Robinson against Magna Vista is the same as tying Mike Tyson's feet together in a shin kicking contest. If you want to know what Phoebus was prior to 2012 simply ask Dabo Swinney. Has anyone in the west heard of him because prior to the arrival of Phoebus graduate Tahj Boyd not many had. Or you can ask the Stone Bridge Bulldogs.

Last edited:
The goal is to win the game. All LCA did lastyear was makes excuses for losing on thier hm field. I hope Heritage doesnt do the same thg if they lose. I cant remember the last time Phoebus loss back to back to the same team. They have 7 shutouts and beat the 2 time defending 6A Champs Oscar Smith 56-0. Defense wins championships but Phoebus offense is pretty good. They have speed and alot of athletes. Good luck to both teams.
You are correct, the goal is to win the game but the original post wasn't about just winning the game. The post was about Phoebus struggling against teams from the West with the exception of last year. Yes they won but it doesn't change the fact that they had their struggles against LCA. They didn't outright dominate the game.

Last edited:
You are correct, the goal is to win the game but the original post wasn't about just winning the game. The post was about Phoebus struggling against teams from the West with the exception of last year. Yes they won but it doesn't change the fact that they had their struggles against LCA. They didn't outright dominate the game.
Correct me if im wrong but wasnt LCA suppose to win that game lastyear?? They blew everyone out including Heritage. Defensively Phoebus did dominate that game. 3 picks and less than 150 yards total offense for LCA. Phoebus returned 80% of thier starters from last year. I dont think the game will be a struggle for them this year. Even if they do struggle, the goal is to win the game. After looking at the film, i believe it is a bad match up Heritage. Come Saturday, we will see how much Phoebus struggles? Cant wait for this game.

Correct me if im wrong but wasnt LCA suppose to win that game lastyear?? They blew everyone out including Heritage. Defensively Phoebus did dominate that game. 3 picks and less than 150 yards total offense for LCA. Phoebus returned 80% of thier starters from last year. I dont think the game will be a struggle for them this year. Even if they do struggle, the goal is to win the game. After looking at the film, i believe it is a bad match up Heritage. Come Saturday, we will see how much Phoebus struggles? Cant wait for this game.
I think you are misunderstanding the original post. Again, you are correct, LCA was the favorite in that game and Phoebus did have a good performance on defense but LCA outgained Phoebus on offense. LCA had 220 yards of offense that game, not less than 150.

I never said Phoebus would struggle this Saturday. I don't have a dog in the fight so I don't care what happens Saturday. My point was that Phoebus beat LCA last year but their offense struggled in the that game.

Who's the Phoebus fans who are stopping at Moores for the Chili Dogs??

Lmao did you actually think you made a point? LCA had one good drive the whole game lol and that was the scripted first drive of game. Their other TD came after we threw a pick out of own end zone and gave them ball like 12 yards out. You sound like that bogus LCA coach that couldn’t just take the L and give props instead he actually said that nonsense on the news last year. Stop trying to discredit us because that LCA team was suppose to be a damn dream team. Let’s talk about freshman Marc Hopson making 5 star Zach Rice check out the game…

• Haha
Reactions: VolNation85
Lmao did you actually think you made a point? LCA had one good drive the whole game lol and that was the scripted first drive of game. Their other TD came after we threw a pick out of own end zone and gave them ball like 12 yards out. You sound like that bogus LCA coach that couldn’t just take the L and give props instead he actually said that nonsense on the news last year. Stop trying to discredit us because that LCA team was suppose to be a damn dream team. Let’s talk about freshman Marc Hopson making 5 star Zach Rice check out the game…
Lmao you and @fattyhawk2013 are making my comments more than what they are. I am not discrediting Phoebus at all. I am actually good friends with a few of the Phoebus coaches so I definitely wouldn't discredit them or the team. LCA was the heavy favorite coming into the game and Phoebus did what they needed to do to win. I never said Phoebus won because of what LCA did or didn't do. I never said LCA played great on offense or that Phoebus struggled on defense. In fact, I literally said "Phoebus did have a good performance on defense." All I said was that Phoebus struggled on offense that game and that is a fact whether you or anyone else wants to admit it. Go back and read my original reply to @Bfootball08.

Last edited:
The goal is to win the game. All LCA did lastyear was makes excuses for losing on thier hm field. I hope Heritage doesnt do the same thg if they lose. I cant remember the last time Phoebus loss back to back to the same team. They have 7 shutouts and beat the 2 time defending 6A Champs Oscar Smith 56-0. Defense wins championships but Phoebus offense is pretty good. They have speed and alot of athletes. Good luck to both teams
Lmao did you actually think you made a point? LCA had one good drive the whole game lol and that was the scripted first drive of game. Their other TD came after we threw a pick out of own end zone and gave them ball like 12 yards out. You sound like that bogus LCA coach that couldn’t just take the L and give props instead he actually said that nonsense on the news last year. Stop trying to discredit us because that LCA team was suppose to be a damn dream team. Let’s talk about freshman Marc Hopson making 5 star Zach Rice check out the game
Who's the Phoebus fans who are stopping at Moores for the Chili Dogs??
I have really thought about making the drive but I ended my relationship with roadtrips, especially when I have to drive.

Lmao you and @fattyhawk2013 are making my comments more than what they are. I am not discrediting Phoebus at all. I am actually good friends with a few of the Phoebus coaches so I definitely wouldn't discredit them or the team. LCA was the heavy favorite coming into the game and Phoebus did what they needed to do to win. I never said Phoebus won because of what LCA did or didn't do. I never said LCA played great on offense or that Phoebus struggled on defense. In fact, I literally said "Phoebus did have a good performance on defense." All I said was that Phoebus struggled on offense that game and that is a fact whether you or anyone else wants to admit it. Go back and read my original reply to @Bfootball08.
I dont care if Phoebus struggles on offense. I dont believe they will. All that matters is winning the game and getting our 9th State Championship in 21 years. Heritage got blown out by Dinwiddie 49 -7 in September but it doesnt matter. They made it to the championship. Every team struggles and no team is perfect, even Phoebus. Again the goal is to win the game. Statistics don't matter and when mentioning Phoebus's 8 previous championships, I dont hear anything about their struggles because they won and no team has more championships in the last 21 years than struggling Phoebus...lol

• Haha
Reactions: VolNation85
I dont care if Phoebus struggles on offense. I dont believe they will. All that matters is winning the game and getting our 9th State Championship in 21 years. Heritage got blown out by Dinwiddie 49 -7 in September but it doesnt matter. They made it to the championship. Every team struggles and no team is perfect, even Phoebus. Again the goal is to win the game. Statistics don't matter and when mentioning Phoebus's 8 previous championships, I dont hear anything about their struggles because they won and no team has more championships in the last 21 years than struggling Phoebus...lol
I agree but just for the record, you were the one that mentioned statistics first. LOL

On another note, are you going to the game Saturday?

I changed my mind. I don't think it will be close. They won't miss a beat with QB Early. Phoebus 34 - Heritage 14. 21 is the lowest point total they had all year. They will be up for this game. The defense will be consistent as all year. They won't "STRUGGLE" on offense like last year. Throwing against Phoebus 23 times a game is not going to work. The front seven is solid. We shall see how it plays out though.

To go a bit further, as I was curious, Heritage has more rings than Dinwiddie (used them as they were mentioned). Dinwiddie is absolutely a powerhouse to me (as are all the teams mentioned)

If it is only about winning championships, then not many teams would meet the criteria, especially if you quantify it to recent titles.
Not many teams are powerhouses, brah...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT