ADVERTISEMENT

Reading between the lines...

Football will move into a different window of time maybe spring football but a fall season is out of reach if the schools aren’t in a phase 3 or beyond.

I read the Gov’s school opening announcement and in all phases he says strict social distancing. No mention of sports specifically. I did see 10 feet and 6 feet distances mentioned. From what I saw I see no football at all. As the poster above did I miss something??

Football will move into a different window of time maybe spring football but a fall season is out of reach if the schools aren’t in a phase 3 or beyond.
Even in phase three Northam days strict social distancing. The fans can spread out but not the players. Am I interpreting this wrong?

Just plan on no high school sports this upcoming year. I've spoken to several AD's and a few superintendents and they all say there are too many logistical issues with spring football for that to be a consideration.

They also said that if they do not have gate money from football, that their athletic budgets cannot support winter and spring sports. Keep in mind, most school divisions had to cut next year budgets in the million(s) dollar range...that includes athletic budgets.

I concur, there's no way the state navigates through Phase I - III in the next several months. Plus there is no information on how you enter the next phase. The school year will likely open as Phase I.

Conclusion: No football. :*(

Reactions: Lafayette
Its my understanding phase 1 was wrote as a quide in case the state reverts back to phase 1. Currently we are in phase 2 and have to follow the quidance of phase2. When will we enter phase 3? Who the heck knows.

Expect most schools to open in Phase 3 and on some type of hybrid schedule in the fall. But that doesn't mean football yet. I think football is still a stretch, but Oct 1 is the drop-dead date so who knows what might change between now and then. I'll keep my fingers crossed as long as I can.

Reactions: oldfool2
I concur, there's no way the state navigates through Phase I - III in the next several months. Plus there is no information on how you enter the next phase. The school year will likely open as Phase I.

Conclusion: No football. :*(
Most of Virginia is already in Phase 2. Phase 2 started 15 days after Phase 1. In the link below, Northam states that Phase 3 would likely start 15 days after Phase 2.
https://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/...e-plan-for-reopening-Virginia--570195541.html

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Most of Virginia is already in Phase 2. Phase 2 started 15 days after Phase 1. In the link below, Northam states that Phase 3 would likely start 15 days after Phase 2.
https://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/...e-plan-for-reopening-Virginia--570195541.html
With that said, to me it looks like we should be well into phase 3 or possibly beyond by Aug. 1st. If this holds, it seems to me that there "could" be some semblance of a Football season. But, what do I know?

VHSL leadership has been very supportive of the Governor's approach, which is appropriate and frankly their only choice. However, school children in Virginia deserve a more flexible approach to controlling risk. Have to find a way to protect the vulnerable without sacrificing educational and developmental opportunities for our young people.

I have as much faith in our blackface governor as I do in the tooth fairy. I really feel for the Southwest Virginians. I’ve made a couple of trips to Roanoke/NRV/Danville/Martinsville in the past few weeks. It looks like ghost towns out there and the virus is no where as bad as they are in Richmond or Northern VA, where the only real difference in present day and June 2019 are the masks on faces and stores closing earlier. Life is up and running.

And the thing about it is, Im on vacation in nc and I just saw on the news that hs sports are resuming now.
Most of the smaller localities will start ASAP! Major areas like Wake County (Raleigh), Mecklenburg County (Charlotte), and Cumberland (Fayetteville/Fort Bragg) are all postponing out of season and school activities until July 6th. After this dead period I’m 100% positive that they’ll be all in with playing football in 2020.

Most of the smaller localities will start ASAP! Major areas like Wake County (Raleigh), Mecklenburg County (Charlotte), and Cumberland (Fayetteville/Fort Bragg) are all postponing out of season and school activities until July 6th. After this dead period I’m 100% positive that they’ll be all in with playing football in 2020.
And GW sits what like 3 miles from NC??? And we going to be treated the same as NOVA?? Crazy.

And the thing about it is, Im on vacation in nc and I just saw on the news that hs sports are resuming now.
I saw that too/ NC off season practices are now back on unlike here. Phase 3 could last until a vaccine. Phase 3 includes social distancing. Unless the VHSL is very flexible (I don’t see that) I don’t see football. Would be nice to be wrong but our Governor is very timid in his response.

The Phases established for returning to school are different and separate from the Governor's reopening of the state Phases. When he announced his 3 Phases, he said we're effectively in Phase I, whixh covers summer school, summer programs, and activities.

We had a division Zoom meeting and we were told that the division was moving forward to establish a plan that would have us opening in Phase II, which has HS children still at home and doing virtual learning.

The tea leaves I'm reading suggest there will be a fall football season. Of course, things could change...but the momentum now would suggest maybe a slight delay in the start of the season.

Plus, I hope state leaders will weigh into their judgement the fact that children seem to be HIGHLY resistant to COVID-19, and not treat schools the same way they would a Nursing Home. Unfortunately, Richmond is often fond of one-size-fits-all solutions.

The tea leaves I'm reading suggest there will be a fall football season. Of course, things could change...but the momentum now would suggest maybe a slight delay in the start of the season.

Plus, I hope state leaders will weigh into their judgement the fact that children seem to be HIGHLY resistant to COVID-19, and not treat schools the same way they would a Nursing Home. Unfortunately, Richmond is often fond of one-size-fits-all solutions.
An article down here in our local paper stated the issue not the effect of the virus on the teenagers as it is minimal, but after practices/games the players would bring the virus home to more vulnerable people as their parents, grandparents etc. It is this way of thinking that has me not very hopeful about a fall football season .

Was in Kingsport, TN yesterday. Passed on high school about 8:30 am. Looked like the whole team was on field working out. What if TN, NC, WV and other states go on as usual? How's that going to work with VA teams playing those out of states?

An article down here in our local paper stated the issue not the effect of the virus on the teenagers as it is minimal, but after practices/games the players would bring the virus home to more vulnerable people as their parents, grandparents etc. It is this way of thinking that has me not very hopeful about a fall football season .
You know though, kids will be kids! I see kids in m neighbor now playing, riding bicycles, in swimming pools playing, down the street playing basketball in the driveways.... Kids are going to be the same risk to their parents and grandparents regardless!

Reactions: Tribe OL 95
You know though, kids will be kids! I see kids in m neighbor now playing, riding bicycles, in swimming pools playing, down the street playing basketball in the driveways.... Kids are going to be the same risk to their parents and grandparents regardless!
I was just saying the same thing about classes. They think if high school instruction is virtual, the kids will be sitting home all day? No, they have cars. They will be doing teenage stuff which is now open anyway. Just wear masks, do temp checks, space out as much as you can, but let them learn and play.

But if that one poster is correct, and they know there won't be sports, it is criminal that all these ADs are telling kids to get their physicals.

But if that one poster is correct, and they know there won't be sports, it is criminal that all these ADs are telling kids to get their physicals.
I haven’t heard of any physicals down here yet. Pass the HS everyday several times and see no activity on the practice field at all.

Not sure what tea leaves you are reading. How is it even possible to practice/play football and adhere to the 6ft. SOCIAL DISTANCING RULE? There is not a snowball's chance in hell they will back off of that rule. If they bend that rule for sports it will be IMPOSSIBLE to continue to push that narrative on people in the public. I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on.

Some teams ARE unofficially “practicing”,just not on their regular fields. There was some 7 on 7 action Saturday involving multiple schools. The video was on Twitter. I have seen where multiple coaches,on Twitter,in the 804,have told their kids to go ahead & get their physicals done. Pros & colleges are already working out. FYI...I know of one coach that has confirmed they will be starting to condition as a full team very soon. The early order,by this pathetic governor,for kids to return to school, is the latest step back toward normalcy.

The kids are gonna get ready whether VHSL allows it or not!

Reactions: springer76
I have as much faith in our blackface governor as I do in the tooth fairy. I really feel for the Southwest Virginians. I’ve made a couple of trips to Roanoke/NRV/Danville/Martinsville in the past few weeks. It looks like ghost towns out there and the virus is no where as bad as they are in Richmond or Northern VA, where the only real difference in present day and June 2019 are the masks on faces and stores closing earlier. Life is up and running.

I mean, this simply isn't true at all for Roanoke. People have been out and about from the start, describing it as a ghost town is just, well, a lie. It's also one of the reasons why the Southwest portion of the state is the only part trending upward in cases while the rest of the state is trending down ( https://www.roanoke.com/news/local/...cle_885bf49f-93f8-57f0-be46-4e54802c9d0b.html )

I saw that too/ NC off season practices are now back on unlike here. Phase 3 could last until a vaccine. Phase 3 includes social distancing. Unless the VHSL is very flexible (I don’t see that) I don’t see football. Would be nice to be wrong but our Governor is very timid in his response.

This is also true. Some people are confusing Phase 3 with life post-vaccine. We get a vaccine and everyone can go back to sneezing on each other and using the bathroom then going to make a ham sandwich but Phase 3 is basically "this is as good as it's gonna get until a vaccine" and all the guidelines that come with it.

This is also true. Some people are confusing Phase 3 with life post-vaccine. We get a vaccine and everyone can go back to sneezing on each other and using the bathroom then going to make a ham sandwich but Phase 3 is basically "this is as good as it's gonna get until a vaccine" and all the guidelines that come with it.
There’s a single elimination 7 on 7 being played THIS WEEKEND in RVA.

Read an article about Roanoke County Schools. Only half the normal kids can be on a bus. What would that do to a football team that normally uses 2 buses to get players to a game.Would the schools be able to use 4 buses to get players to a game. Since its only about 6 weeks till preseason practice starts. I don't believe the lights will be on for Friday night football in the fall of 2020 in The Northram State of confusion.