ADVERTISEMENT

Reading between the lines...

Being a sacrificial worker i have been out and about the Lynchburg and surrounding area alot more than i wanted to be. It was enjoyable to drive all over with no more traffic than we had 40 years ago. However that has not been the case for about 6 weeks now. The governors orders are only being followed on paper and a few extremist driving alone with a mask on lmao.

Reactions: falcettik
This doesn't really mean much as of right now. Social distancing out to 10 feet will still be in place while we're in phase 2. Also, in phase 2 there can't be any intentional physical contact. Stipulations for phase 3 have yet to be released, so it'll be interesting to see what they look like.
The players have been practicing for the last couple of weeks together, Off school grounds, and I can promise you there has been contact...but no pads. There was a seven on seven last weekend and there’s another seven on seven happening this weekend. Do you actually think there’s no contact In that?!

If they have to be 6-ft apart, how can you have athletes playing with sweat/spit/blood flying around?

Lafayette football was just informed VHSL is allowing off season practice beginning June 15 with Local education board plan in place.

Lafayette football was just informed VHSL is allowing off season practice beginning June 15 with Local education board plan in place.

Are you saying WJCC schools already got approval from VDOE for their specific plan as required by today’s VHSL guidance?

The players have been practicing for the last couple of weeks together, Off school grounds, and I can promise you there has been contact...but no pads. There was a seven on seven last weekend and there’s another seven on seven happening this weekend. Do you actually think there’s no contact In that?!
All I'm saying is the Governors plan doesn't allow for intentional contact

If they have to be 6-ft apart, how can you have athletes playing with sweat/spit/blood flying around?
Significant concessions will have to be made for there to be football or any other sports this year. Even in phase 3, school desks have to be 6ft apart with daily symptom checks.

Are you saying WJCC schools already got approval from VDOE for their specific plan as required by today’s VHSL guidance?
No , I am not aware they have done that yet . But I assume they were busy today doing it to submit tomorrow.

Reactions: WP02alum
All I'm saying is the Governors plan doesn't allow for intentional contact
If you haven’t noticed...nobody is listening to the Governor! There’s a single game elimination 7 on 7 in RVA this weekend. There will be about 15 teams there. There was a 7x7 last weekend too. All I’m saying is....some teams are gonna be ready more than others despite any “rules”!

Reactions: springer76
If you haven’t noticed...nobody is listening to the Governor! There’s a single game elimination 7 on 7 in RVA this weekend. There will be about 15 teams there. There was a 7x7 last weekend too. All I’m saying is....some teams are gonna be ready more than others despite any “rules”!
Here's the flyer for the 7v7. It was on Twitter
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZYirwvXJZj7mAGaY6

Reactions: HooSprings
HooSprings, I understand how you feel but that still does not make those activities right at this point in time. The Covid problem has not gone away, despite what we all wish, and the recent return to more common past behaviors will allow some areas to remain relatively safe while those actions will almost certainly impact other areas more severely.

HooSprings, I understand how you feel but that still does not make those activities right at this point in time. The Covid problem has not gone away, despite what we all wish, and the recent return to more common past behaviors will allow some areas to remain relatively safe while those actions will almost certainly impact other areas more severely.
They just ok’d the opening of all rec areas,libraries, and,all local activities. so no one really cares about this farce anymore. 5000 people will walk down the street tomorrow TOGETHER in RVA. The protesting has showed people with half a brain and the people in charge that this is no longer a Threat. People will talk about the number of cases increasing,but most people don’t realize is,if your temperature is 1° above normal they list you as a case for more money for the hospital. I assure you...all conditioning will begin “officially” on the 15th. Jsyk... I can’t say this enough.... The kids have already been working out together...just not at the actual schools. With colleges and pros working out and starting up,Virginia high school league sees them Dollar Signs again and wants their part. The kids have already been ordered back to school for the beginning of the school season, so there’s no reason for VHSL to not get their piece of the pie now. I look forward to sitting in the stands that night Highland Springs visits Martinsburg!

They just ok’d the opening of all rec areas,libraries, and,all local activities. so no one really cares about this farce anymore. 5000 people will walk down the street tomorrow TOGETHER in RVA. The protesting has showed people with half a brain and the people in charge that this is no longer a Threat. People will talk about the number of cases increasing,but most people don’t realize is,if your temperature is 1° above normal they list you as a case for more money for the hospital. I assure you...all conditioning will begin “officially” on the 15th. Jsyk... I can’t say this enough.... The kids have already been working out together...just not at the actual schools. With colleges and pros working out and starting up,Virginia high school league sees them Dollar Signs again and wants their part. The kids have already been ordered back to school for the beginning of the school season, so there’s no reason for VHSL to not get their piece of the pie now. I look forward to sitting in the stands that night Highland Springs visits Martinsburg!
Where are you getting that we’ve been ordered to start back LOL!?! I need your intel! Last I heard, none of the RVA Metro school divisions have a set plan for how school is going to play out in the fall. Not trying to be a smart azz either, you may have more info than me! You are right about the 7on7s. But.. LETS BE REAL CLEAR.. The kids are coordinating this!!! Not the coaches!!!!

Just heard from our principal that we’re a long ways from ANY decisions about the fall. Nobody knows. It’s in the governor’s hands. We’ve just been given instructions on what to do for summer school. Henrico County Public Schools CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT start any off season training until guidelines are put into place. More than likely, golf and other non contact sports will be allowed back in the next few weeks, not football.

Just an opinion but I only see XC and Golf happening this fall and that's it. I think everyone needs to brace themselves for all of the remaining sports to take place after the 1st semester in some shortened capacity. The VHSL desperately needs a region (as they get a cut from each region) and state tournament for football/basketball to keep their heads above water. The guidelines that schools will have to follow just for these semi workouts and actual school for the fall are going to be absolutely crazy and almost not even realistic. I hope I'm wrong but..........

Reactions: aw19752
I hate to keep on saying it but the people of North Carolina are moving on. NoVA, Central VA, Northwestern VA and RVA posters may be like why do we care? But just think, schools only 30 minutes or less south of the 757, southern VA (Danville has 9 NC high schools within 30 miles of its city limits) and SWVA (add West VA, Kentucky and Tennessee as well) will be playing football this fall while us Virginians are looking at the walls.

This information that the VHSL put out on June 9th sounds absolutely positive! The kids and schools will be able to start out of season practice Monday, June 15th and suspended the Summer “dead period” for all athletic teams during the week of June 29 through July 4. This only applies to 2020. It sounds to me like we are getting ready for football to start. I know for a fact that practices will happen. The season starting on time sounds like it will happen... read on...

Season Practice Activities

Classic Super Publisher • VirginiaPreps
Publisher
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – In alignment with the Governor’s “Virginia’s Return to School Plan” announced on Tuesday, June 9, the VHSL Executive Committee has cleared the way for schools to begin out-of-season practice activities beginning Monday, June 15.

By a majority vote taken on Wednesday, June 10, the Executive Committee reinstated the Out-of-Season Practice Rule 27-7-1 and suspended the Summer “dead period” for all athletic teams during the week of June 29 through July 4. This only applies to 2020.

In compliance with the Governor’s plan, it is important to note that before any out-of-season activity can begin, all schools must submit health plans to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) outlining compliance with Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) mitigation strategies.

“The VHSL Executive Committee believes that getting students back into some level of education-based activities will be supportive of their physical and mental health and well-being,” said VHSL Executive Director Dr. John W. “Billy” Haun. “Allowing students and coaches the opportunity to begin out-of-season extracurricular activities and athletics will allow school communities the ability to begin moving in a positive direction.

“Our student-athletes have been out for over three months. Conditioning and acclimation will be critical as coaches and athletes prepare for the upcoming fall season,” continued Haun.

The VHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) is completing work on the VHSL Guidelines for Reopening Sports/Activities. The committee is finalizing the document to ensure it is in alignment with guidelines released by the Governor’s “Return to School Plan” as well as the VDH and the CDC.

Any decisions moving forward will be made in compliance with the Governor’s orders and will continue to be made with the best interest of our student-athletes. Safety will always be our number one priority.

Link to Virginia DO Health Plan Guidance: Health Plan Guidance

Link below to Virginia DOE Phase II plan submission form for public school division

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScTrWv73vrWAQ_3rtaaVy65f1f5xaxqFiyhKDROC7rKArc8mA/viewform

https://virginiapreps.rivals.com/news/vhsl-reinstates-out-of-season-practice-activities

https://virginiapreps.rivals.com/news/vhsl-reinstates-out-of-season-practice-activities

Until contact is permitted, which it is not, football is a big maybe. If this not permitted by mid- late July, then we will really know.
Safety is their first priority but at what level? That is subjective and varies person to person. Historically, government is overzealous in this regard.
I would prefer each player and their parents decide that and a sign a waiver to that extent.

Last edited:
Reactions: springer76
Until contact is permitted, which it is not, football is a big maybe. If this not permitted by mid- late July, then we will really know.
Safety is their first priority but at what level? That is subjective and varies person to person. Historically, government is overzealous in this regard.
I would prefer each player and their parents decide that and a sign a waiver to that extent.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZQCgSuscH4b6mM9C9
HSHS won't be far behind them!... and that game is scheduled Aug. 28th.

I hate to keep on saying it but the people of North Carolina are moving on. NoVA, Central VA, Northwestern VA and RVA posters may be like why do we care? But just think, schools only 30 minutes or less south of the 757, southern VA (Danville has 9 NC high schools within 30 miles of its city limits) and SWVA (add West VA, Kentucky and Tennessee as well) will be playing football this fall while us Virginians are looking at the walls.

North Carolina is also looking down the barrel of another stay-at-home order if they can't improve. They have one of the highest percent positivity rates in the country and are surging in hospitalizations (I believe they set a new record in the state today). Meanwhile, Virginia is moving in the opposite direction and just hit an all-time low in percent positivity.

No sane, reasonable person wants to be like NC right now.

North Carolina is also looking down the barrel of another stay-at-home order if they can't improve. They have one of the highest percent positivity rates in the country and are surging in hospitalizations (I believe they set a new record in the state today). Meanwhile, Virginia is moving in the opposite direction and just hit an all-time low in percent positivity.

No sane, reasonable person wants to be like NC right now.
Ok Chad. Who said anything about wanting to be like NC? I’m just saying that they are giving high school sports way more lead way than Virginia is.

So a hypothetical everyone should be thinking about...

Let's suppose we're playing ball this fall. A player (or two) tests positive for the virus on a team. Does that team completely shut it down? Do they forfeit some or all of their remaining games? Can they resume if everyone gets tested?

It's bound to happen...

It sounds to me like we are getting ready for football to start. I know for a fact that practices will happen.
Yes, there will be organized practice, but under the guidelines you quoted I don't think it will be anything more than just conditioning. According to a head coach I spoke with, the team and coaches must still adhere to social distancing and cannot use equipment, even footballs. It will be lots of stretching/warm up type activities, movement/technique drills, maybe some strength work (if they can disinfect equipment between players???) and running - but probably not much more. At least it is a start.

Let's suppose we're playing ball this fall. A player (or two) tests positive for the virus on a team. Does that team completely shut it down? Do they forfeit some or all of their remaining games? Can they resume if everyone gets tested?

It's bound to happen...
Good point. I would assume the whole team is quarantined and at least the following two weeks games forfeited until all players come back negative. It’s going to be a real mess.

It's bound to happen...
Also does the team they played the previous week get shut down?

It's bound to happen...
At that point, there should be enough testing available that they can test the players and coaches each week and take proper precautions. Testing availability is much better right now. You could be right though, I feel the same way, and you know there will always be parents that complain.

At that point, there should be enough testing available that they can test the players and coaches each week and take proper precautions. Testing availability is much better right now. You could be right though, I feel the same way, and you know there will always be parents that complain.

I don’t see football GAMES happening. In phase 3 students are still on a staggered schedule and still have to practice social distancing. There is no way to social distance a football game. Plus if contests are allowed to be played how many spectators can attend an event? Let’s be honest this is a money issue for the VHSL when playoffs happen IF there is an attendance capacity. I think the financial ramifications of this virus is the biggest hurdle for VHSL. They want to play and have playoffs that make money but how? High schools have to be worried financially for ANY sport because how concessions are going to be run differently, if they can even be used. Gate sells will be impacted IF there is an attendance capacity which seems logical again if students are having to attend school on alternating days in phase 3. This is just my 2 cents. I hope I am wrong but at this moment in time I do not see football in the fall.

How can we justify letting the colleges play (and they will) and not letting kids play? In Virginia there is only 1 hospitalization to-date related to the virus under the age of 20.

How can we justify letting the colleges play (and they will) and not letting kids play? In Virginia there is only 1 hospitalization to-date related to the virus under the age of 20.

That might be a good mental exercise, but it’s not how these decisions work. Different entities make the call for college sports versus HS sports.

Reactions: falcettik
That might be a good mental exercise, but it’s not how these decisions work. Different entities make the call for college sports versus HS sports.

You are correct that this is not how these decisions work and clearly the decisions are made by different entities. These facts do not preclude our decision-makers from considering the other activities (and related transmission opportunities) that are being allowed when weighing decisions that impact our children.

Reactions: WP02alum
Easy answer- you have a very timid cautious Governor and a VHSL who follow his lead without comment or kickback. In essence no one who will challenge anything. That’s why HS football here is a longshot.

The alternating class day thing is stupid. Younger students will just be stuck in overcrowded daycares with less distancing, and high school students will be gathering together or working jobs, where they also will not be any more safe.

Last edited:
The alternating class day thing is stupid. Younger students will just be stuck in overcrowded daycares with less distancing, and high school students will be gathering together or working jobs, where they also will not be any more safe.

⬆️

Agree! It is stupid. Either all virtual or all back to school. This is causing more problems. I don't want virtual at all, but alternating is much much worse.

Colleges are playing because they're a business and they're usually very poorly run which means they're not capable of weathering storms that affect their business.

The other very obvious reason is sick college kids stay sick at college. Sick grade school kids stay sick at home where they infect others who may not be as good at fighting off COVID as children. These guidelines aren't being made with the kids in mind, they're made with literally everyone else in mind, because that's who gets seriously ill and dies from this stuff. If you had the ability to sequester sports teams by themselves like they're going to do with the NBA then they'd be all for playing football 100% but since I don't see fans footing the bill for that then guidelines will need to be adhered to and dealt with first.

Last edited:
Reactions: salemfan32
I feel like so many people are missing the point. It isn't that there's a huge risk of a player dying of COVID-19, it's that players can get the virus and then spread it to vulnerable relatives that they interact with.

Granted the views on this forum seem better than over on the West Virginia forum where the most ignorant types of people are running wild with Flat Earther-tier nonsense about the whole thing being a hoax.

I look at the Johns Hopkins Covid-19 web site daily. When I first started looking at the site in April, there was about 300,000 cases world wide. Now the number of cases is headed towards 8 million world wide. Some of the stuff you read might be fiction, but I believe the stats I see on the JHU web site.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT