ADVERTISEMENT

Region 5B Semi-Finals:#4 Varina Blue Devils vs #1 HSHS Springers @ Hermitage HS

Who will win

• Varina High School

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Highland Springs High School

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
I believe HSHS has the best coaching staff in the state. My question to the Springer faithful is, as great as they are...have they even played a complete game yet? Have we seen their celling yet? I would say no. That can be both a beautiful thing or a negative depending on if you are a glass half full guy or not. I know it has been a bit sloppy as of late based on reading but they have still managed to come away with the victory every time. I do want them to break the record, especially if they represent the 5B region we will all wear black and gold. However, it is hard for me to openly root for Goliath week in and week out within the region.

Varina is no David though. History tells me to pick HSHS and all the evidence would point a sane man to pick the Springers. If Isiah Page has a historic day it could get interesting. Springs needs to make sure Varina doesn’t get out to a comfortable lead. I know they have overcome that multiple times this year but how many time do you want to roll the dice with a team that has as much offensive firepower as Varina?

I believe Varina has the personnel to win this game. They have the horses. Knowing that HSHS hasn’t hit their ceiling yet and me not completely trusting Varina to play mistake free football for 4 quarters, I expect Spring to be all business and they will need to be all business to stay on their historic journey. I suppose I am sane man after all.

HSHS 28-24

Only team that can beat hs is Varina, but not sure it’s gonna happen unless hs have turnovers or something but I was at the Manchester game and the varina game last week I would say varina is better then Manchester at this point now. I think if hs beat varina there going to win it all I can’t see nobody beating hs if Varina can’t. Varina match well with hs the size the speed and athleticism are pretty much even. But I’ll give hs the edge and win by 3 or 7 points.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I believe HSHS has the best coaching staff in the state. My question to the Springer faithful is, as great as they are...have they even played a complete game yet? Have we seen their celling yet? I would say no. That can be both a beautiful thing or a negative depending on if you are a glass half full guy or not. I know it has been a bit sloppy as of late based on reading but they have still managed to come away with the victory every time. I do want them to break the record, especially if they represent the 5B region we will all wear black and gold. However, it is hard for me to openly root for Goliath week in and week out within the region.

Varina is no David though. History tells me to pick HSHS and all the evidence would point a sane man to pick the Springers. If Isiah Page has a historic day it could get interesting. Springs needs to make sure Varina doesn’t get out to a comfortable lead. I know they have overcome that multiple times this year but how many time do you want to roll the dice with a team that has as much offensive firepower as Varina?

I believe Varina has the personnel to win this game. They have the horses. Knowing that HSHS hasn’t hit their ceiling yet and me not completely trusting Varina to play mistake free football for 4 quarters, I expect Spring to be all business and they will need to be all business to stay on their historic journey. I suppose I am sane man after all.

HSHS 28-24

You are right and I see this thing just about the same way you do! I am not sure if my Springers have been holding back just about all year long or not. I do know that our "stud loaded" starting defense and offense have not played a whole game (more like roughly 1/2 games) for about 80% of all games thus far!! My question is could that lead to game time inexperience when it comes down to these tough games ahead? Or is it what they say, getting the youngsters game time experience? These youngsters look pretty good, but not even close to the starting crew!!! Who are we going to be relying on when the going gets tough? The youngsters or the studs?! As I see it, I don't think we are going to see much of the back ups starting next week!

Was down in the 757 and saw Maury's offense... They're way more "fluid" than HSHS offense. Week in and week out I keep hearing "vanilla", please stop it, maybe the offense is just "vanilla". Mark my words, IF(if, "if" was a fifth...) HSHS defense can't make stops they lose in a shootout...

Was down in the 757 and saw Maury's offense... They're way more "fluid" than HSHS offense. Week in and week out I keep hearing "vanilla", please stop it, maybe the offense is just "vanilla". Mark my words, IF(if, "if" was a fifth...) HSHS defense can't make stops they lose in a shootout...
Maury CAN’T stop HSHS’s running game! They are not good enough in the front 7! HS’s secondary and overall D is still better than anything Maury has seen all year!

The reason I say vanilla is,95% read-option between the tackles,out of a 4WR set,unless they really need a score. It’s a clock eating offense. They CAN open things up,and have showed they can,but they choose not to for some reason. I understand why,but I don’t like it as a fan. You’d figure I’d be happy with 11-0 with this schedule,but as a fan....I love blowouts. Easier on the sweat glands! Lol 2 of the last 3 games,HSHS has had a 100yd running back. I’m spoiled I guess! Lol

Reactions: Johnny"football"
The reason I say vanilla is,95% read-option between the tackles,out of a 4WR set,unless they really need a score. It’s a clock eating offense. They CAN open things up,and have showed they can,but they choose not to for some reason. I understand why,but I don’t like it as a fan. You’d figure I’d be happy with 11-0 with this schedule,but as a fan....I love blowouts. Easier on the sweat glands! Lol 2 of the last 3 games,HSHS has had a 100yd running back. I’m spoiled I guess! Lol
Lol 2 of the last 3 games,HSHS has had a 100yd running back. I’m spoiled I guess! Lol
We out-gained Henrico last night 381-119 in yards. Most of it was on the ground!

Maury CAN’T stop HSHS’s running game! They are not good enough in the front 7! HS’s secondary and overall D is still better than anything Maury has seen all year!
Unless your just talking about last year Maury defense your wrong trust because that run game defense is vastly improved by a large amount and I say one thing on Maury schedule is they have played good running games most of the yard and shut them all down only really getting yardage after Maury has called off the dogs in the 2nd half. This team here is not that team hs springs played last but better by all accounts of the game

Unless your just talking about last year Maury defense your wrong trust because that run game defense is vastly improved by a large amount and I say one thing on Maury schedule is they have played good running games most of the yard and shut them all down only really getting yardage after Maury has called off the dogs in the 2nd half. This team here is not that team hs springs played last but better by all accounts of the game

Maury schedule this year is laughable and you are right they are not the same Maury team as last. Yeah they got some new recruits in but they don't have the same good QB that they had last year. Their strength is passing and HSHS secondary has improved in the secondary this year. Talking about HSHS beating Maury this year is really premature because we have to get pass Varina and Manchester first. And Maury has to get pass Salem, and if we get to see how well Maury run defense is against that great rb Salem has. Maury has not played one quality opponent all year and struggled with a sorry norcom squad. One thing I can tell you about HS is they are battle tested no matter who they play.

I hope so...It was Deep Creek but there offense looked way more polished.

Don't count Salem out, honestly I think Salem is a better team than Maury and I believe they are going to beat them. Maury top team they played this year was an awful lake Taylor and we see what Varina did to them. This is a premature discussion because HS has to get pass two good teams before they will see any 757 team.

Maury schedule this year is laughable and you are right they are not the same Maury team as last. Yeah they got some new recruits in but they don't have the same good QB that they had last year. Their strength is passing and HSHS secondary has improved in the secondary this year. Talking about HSHS beating Maury this year is really premature because we have to get pass Varina and Manchester first. And Maury has to get pass Salem, and if we get to see how well Maury run defense is against that great rb Salem has. Maury has not played one quality opponent all year and struggled with a sorry norcom squad. One thing I can tell you about HS is they are battle tested no matter who they play.
Well when you say the schedule is laughable I'm outside of HS who's isn't the state when your stuck playing the same district schedules that every teams plays so to HS being to make there schedule. Then as far as their QB he really hasn't had to do as much this year like the kid last year. And everyone keeps talking bout Salem like we cant even gage them because truth be told their district was not the best either..I'm you take the top 3 teams in 757 none have been challenged this season other than OS game against HS so we will see these coming weeks to see how really good salem or maury is. But I dont think any team I Class 5 is a runaway from anyone.

How do you know the run defense is better when Maury hasn’t faced a good team ALL YEAR?! The HSHS OLine that dominated Maury,last year,is ALL back. You say Maury is better this year,but they’re not as good at the biggest position....QB! HSHS has the best secondary in the STATE,bar none. They have faced FAR BETTER QBs this year. This is a proven team....Maury....not so much.

Honestly...HSHS has better teams to get through before a meeting with a 757 team.

Reactions: Thomasddev
How do you know the run defense is better when Maury hasn’t faced a good team ALL YEAR?! The HSHS OLine that dominated Maury,last year,is ALL back. You say Maury is better this year,but they’re not as good at the biggest position....QB! HSHS has the best secondary in the STATE,bar none. They have faced FAR BETTER QBs this year. This is a proven team....Maury....not so much.

Honestly...HSHS has better teams to get through before a meeting with a 757 team.
Imma just say we shall all see within the next 3 weeks because all the teams in regions A and B dont have it easy from here on out yes even HS because that turn it on in the 2nd half of games is not going to keep up but good luck to all these young kids playing

Imma just say we shall all see within the next 3 weeks because all the teams in regions A and B dont have it easy from here on out yes even HS because that turn it on in the 2nd half of games is not going to keep up but good luck to all these young kids playing
HSHS put this schedule together FOR THIS REASON! Battle tested like no other ever has been. 40 in a row! Varina is up next!

Ok brother we know HS can do no wrong in your eyes but every dog has it day and they been flirting with it a lot this year good luck to the kids playing we shall see at seasons end
You obviously haven’t read my other post! Happy being 11-0,and beat some damn good teams,but I really wish they’d run the offense wide open like they do when they “need” a score. Playing ground & pound with 3 D1 WRs is frustrating,but results remain the same. Hard to argue with 40 in a row though!

You obviously haven’t read my other post! Happy being 11-0,and beat some damn good teams,but I really wish they’d run the offense wide open like they do when they “need” a score. Playing ground & pound with 3 D1 WRs is frustrating,but results remain the same. Hard to argue with 40 in a row though!
I share your sentiment Hoosprings with HS running vanilla offense. They haven't really opened that offense up in the 1st half except the Avalon game. I guess Johnson didn't want to show anything knowing he could see Varina and Manchester twice. I think he will open offense up now moving forward because it one and done. I hope he decides to let bugg loose through the air early in the 1st half.

I share your sentiment Hoosprings with HS running vanilla offense. They haven't really opened that offense up in the 1st half except the Avalon game. I guess Johnson didn't want to show anything knowing he could see Varina and Manchester twice. I think he will open offense up now moving forward because it one and done. I hope he decides to let bugg loose through the air early in the 1st half.
He cut him loose vs TDALE and Freedom(scrimmages),and as you said...first half vs Avalon. The final drive of the first half vs CForge too,but nothing else. Everything else has been vanilla,between the tackles. Hope he cuts him loose!

HSHS 28-24

The question is can Varina play mistake free? Bobby Dunn's four interceptions certainly hurt them against Highland Springs the first go around. Even against Clover Hill he was picked once and the Blue Devils fumbled a couple of times. Highland Springs defense will make you pay for your mistakes.

Reactions: mbonape1
The question is can Varina play mistake free? Bobby Dunn's four interceptions certainly hurt them against Highland Springs the first go around. Even against Clover Hill he was picked once and the Blue Devils fumbled a couple of times. Highland Springs defense will make you pay for your mistakes.

who are you picking?!

The biggest question to me is which team/coach will make the biggest,proper adjustments from the prior game,2 weeks ago. These are 14-18 year olds,so they’re gonna make mistakes. Good defenses cause mistakes. Which Coaches that can put their players in the best position to minimize their possibilities for mistakes?

Warm weather,a little humid Friday with possible evening rain! Let’s play!!

Last edited:
If Varina limits mistakes I think they will win. I also think Maury could beat both teams, Maury has speed everywhere and I honestly think Maury QB is better than what people think!

Well we know HS and Varina played quality teams so we can honestly gage where they stand. I believe Maury is talented but who have they played that was quality enough for you to say they are good enough to beat HS, Varina, or Manchester. Maury struggled with a average norcom squad. HS and Varina would have destroyed Norcom and anyone else on Maury schedule. Maury better worry about Salem before they think about the big dog HSHS. Like I said in my earlier posts, whoever comes out of the Richmond area will win states.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
Well we know HS and Varina played quality teams so we can honestly gage where they stand. I believe Maury is talented but who have they played that was quality enough for you to say they are good enough to beat HS, Varina, or Manchester. Maury struggled with a average norcom squad. HS and Varina would have destroyed Norcom and anyone else on Maury schedule. Maury better worry about Salem before they think about the big dog HSHS. Like I said in my earlier posts, whoever comes out of the Richmond area will win states.

As you said, Maury's schedule is certainly softer than HSHS, Varina, and Manchester. Doesn't mean Maury isn't as good. But I still think the best 5a football is played in Richmond statewide until I am proven otherwise. I agree with your assessment but let's not sleep on Maury...and yes they better worry about Salem too!

As you said, Maury's schedule is certainly softer than HSHS, Varina, and Manchester. Doesn't mean Maury isn't as good. But I still think the best 5a football is played in Richmond statewide until I am proven otherwise. I agree with your assessment but let's not sleep on Maury...and yes they better worry about Salem too!
The best football in the past 7 years has come out of the Richmond area! 3x State champ Bird and 4x Champs HSHS.
I have no doubt in my mind that this year, the 8th year straight will come from the 804. HS has already knocked #1 in the 757, Smith. Top 3 Colonial Forge from NOVA and #2 & #3 in the 804, Manchester and Varina!! How much more convincing can HS be? I know, Win #5 straight!

The best football in the past 7 years has come out of the Richmond area! 3x State champ Bird and 4x Champs HSHS.
I have no doubt in my mind that this year, the 8th year straight will come from the 804. HS has already knocked #1 in the 757, Smith. Top 3 Colonial Forge from NOVA and #2 & #3 in the 804, Manchester and Varina!! How much more convincing can HS be? I know, Win #5 straight!

You are all in I will give you that :)

Rain Friday night! That wet,oblong ball,has a tendency of doing funny things in bad weather. Could affect the passing game of all 4 teams.

Spotty light rain during the day Friday, cloudy through the night, then a bigger rain threat for Saturday. Just finished watching the Andrew Frieden's forecast
Oddly enough...John Bernier just said...light rain starting mid evening,after dark,but continuing into Saturday evening. Nothing heavy! Just makes that turf field a tad slippery. No biggie!

Oddly enough...John Bernier just said...light rain starting mid evening,after dark,but continuing into Saturday evening. Nothing heavy! Just makes that turf field a tad slippery. No biggie!
Wow. Frieden said, light spotty early Friday (not much) then clearing in the afternoon and evening. Then a bigger system moves in Saturday.

Wow. Frieden said, light spotty early Friday (not much) then clearing in the afternoon and evening. Then a bigger system moves in Saturday.
They are on the radio AM950/FM 99.5 discussing playing in bad weather with the King William coach! He’s said they been preparing for rain since Saturday. We’ll see tomorrow!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT