ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands vs Appomattox

Who wins

• Appo

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • Richlands

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters
We are losing the focus. Who cares if it was "uncharacteristic", it still happened. Pay the consequence. I'll try the "uncharacteristic" tactic when I get pulled over going 100mph in a 65mph zone. I'll tell the cop it's "uncharacteristic" of me to go that fast. I'll bet he lets me off with a warning. The fact that people are making excuses is frightening.

I certainly hope that the richlands coach regardless of what happens sits the player to help him down the road that should not be allowed at any level ! Appo coach just did it 2 weeks ago to teach a kid that you can't do some things and just walk away ! It's call teaching fellows . And I would think all richlands people would want the same thing.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
We are losing the focus. Who cares if it was "uncharacteristic", it still happened. Pay the consequence. I'll try the "uncharacteristic" tactic when I get pulled over going 100mph in a 65mph zone. I'll tell the cop it's "uncharacteristic" of me to go that fast. I'll bet he lets me off with a warning. The fact that people are making excuses is frightening.
Exactly what a frightening? Cause there is a disagreement on what an official saw and called....cause ya they never made a mistake before...so we should just automatically assume that the Kid was at fault and in no way possible that the officials screwed up....

Exactly what a frightening? Cause there is a disagreement on what an official saw and called....cause ya they never made a mistake before...so we should just automatically assume that the Kid was at fault and in no way possible that the officials screwed up....

Apparently others saw it too. And the kid didn't help his case out there with the first penalty. Nonetheless, I really want him to play for the fact that I don't want any excuses after the title game.

After seeing how his team acted during and after the game when several Richland players made it a point to come to the middle of the field and "taunt" the SD sideline (#11 included).....I don't know if I care too...

Again....in any arena whether it be business, military, or athletics, subordinates' action and behavior are a reflection of those in charge. This is a basic leadership principle.

After seeing how his team acted during and after the game when several Richland players made it a point to come to the middle of the field and "taunt" the SD sideline (#11 included).....I don't know if I care too...

Again....in any arena whether it be business, military, or athletics, subordinates' action and behavior are a reflection of those in charge. This is a basic leadership principle.
That is so unlike anything that I have witnessed from Richlands' players or coaches, and Union plays them every year.

Are you serious? after the game they should remain quiet and just casually walk and shake hands....is this normal for football up there? cause that was an exciting game and afterwards you should expect that kind of emotion....

That is so unlike anything that I have witnessed from Richlands' players or coaches, and Union plays them every year.
Exactly, so either we need to have some safe places for people to play football or theses people didn't actually watch the game.

No...being classless is not typical "up here". The fact that you would actually say something to that effect says a lot about you, your staff, and players.

Hers to Appomattox whipping your @$$es!

Reactions: Stabler1980

I didn't see this. I saw players celebrating, but no demonstrations were directed toward the Stuarts Draft players or fans. #11 for Richlands screwed up once, maybe twice. #68 for Stuarts Draft taunted and spiked the ball on one play and was flagged for it. Aside from that, both teams conducted themselves well. Stuarts Draft has a player with a reputation for cheap shots, showboating, and taunting, but IMO, he was on his best behavior today and I commend him for showing maturity.

Reactions: kevtodd5
No...being classless is not typical "up here". The fact that you would actually say something to that effect says a lot about you, your staff, and players.

My staff???, what in the world are you talking about? My actions or discussions are my own...however I believe Richlands team, coaches have always acted with class and if you think otherwise take the SD Homer glasses off and ask any other teams we play including appomattox last year. which I have nothing but the highest respect for their team, coaches and fans and I'd say they would agree with me on the class richlands had last year after losing a heart breaker in OT

You said what the players did... what did the coaches & fans do that you didn't care for?

I was at the game as a neutral fan. Richlands did not play with class. Period. Honestly think it was kind of funny some boys from augusta county took them to the limit. Escecially with all of their transfers.

Look up what "neutral" means and then think about commenting

I'm not "against" Richlands, so if I know they have transfers and I say it, now I am against them? Your arguments are just idiotic. Please do us all a favor and shut up.

I'm not "against" Richlands, so if I know they have transfers and I say it, now I am against them? Your arguments are just idiotic. Please do us all a favor and shut up.
Someone said they were neutral and then had a negative thing to say...I'm sorry you cannot comprehend what neutral means...and if you don't like what I have to say stop replying...I hardly ever post anything on here but because of idiots Ile yourself I felt compelled.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
Someone said they were neutral and then had a negative thing to say...I'm sorry you cannot comprehend what neutral means...and if you don't like what I have to say stop replying...I hardly ever post anything on here but because of idiots Ile yourself I felt compelled.

So now we understand that you can no longer be nuetral if you say something derogatory about a team? This is just getting better. You know what, don't shut up, keep going, this is comedy.

So now we understand that you can no longer be nuetral if you say something derogatory about a team? This is just getting better. You know what, don't shut up, keep going, this is comedy.
Let me hold your hand like a small child and explain what neutral means...."not helping or supporting either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartial" so with the comment left by "recuriting" which is negative thing to say and makes it not "impartial"....if you need me to I'll write it on some construction paper with crayons next...

Reactions: lovethisgame78
Trash talk is part of the game, it happens EVERY GAME! Invading boundaries it where the line is drawn (headbutting). Taunting is something that is known to get a penalty. I can speak for our players, I talk to them all the time. I feel our boys keep Coach Smith in mind all the time. They would not do something to make him look bad. I believe they have that much respect for him. They know what is expected of them on and off the field. I know they would feel bad if they disappoint coach Smith.

So @Stabler1980 is right, 2 week ago vs. Giles, it happened. Player was benched a whole 1st half and he didnt care how prestigious you are on the field. I remind you this was a PLAYOFF game?!

Frankly, why was the #11 taunting anyway? It isnt like Richlands was blowing anyone out? Why be so cocky (Im not saying there is ever a reason to be cocky either).

Last edited:
It was no different than the celebrations of Union and Richlands after their games the last 3 years. If there was taunting after the game, I didn't see it.

Let me hold your hand like a small child and explain what neutral means...."not helping or supporting either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartial" so with the comment left by "recuriting" which is negative thing to say and makes it not "impartial"....if you need me to I'll write it on some construction paper with crayons next...

You can still stay "nuetral" while commenting on something you are observing. Example: I was partial to NEITHER candidate in the last Presidential Election. However, during the debates I made comments about how I thought President Trump used a poor tactic to convey his point. I was commenting about something I was observing while stay "nuetral". Sounds like the gentleman above came to the game with nuetral mindset. He witnessed some acts from Richlands that he didn't agree with, just because he disagrees with them, that doesn't mean he's partial to SD now. See how that works? Just because someone disagrees with Richlands doesn't mean they are partial to their opponent.

Last edited:
You can still stay "nuetral" while commenting on something you are observing. Example: I was partial to NEITHER candidate in the last Presidential Election. However, during the debates I made comments about how I thought President Trump used a poor tactic to convey his point. I was commenting about something I was observing while stay "nuetral". Sounds like the gentleman above came to the game with nuetral mindset. He witnessed some acts from Richlands that he didn't agree with, just because he disagrees with them, that doesn't mean he's partial to SD now. See how that works? Just because someone disagrees with Richlands means they are partial to their opponent.
Let me get the crayons out.....

Seems like a bunch of cry babies on here that need a safe space. First ive ever heard someone complain about Richlands playing classless. I can understand Howie's actions being classless, although i cant recall him ever getting a penalty like that. But saying the whole of Richlands was classless just sounds salty to me. Would love to hear how Richlands was so classless excluding #11. As far as the neutral observer goes, assuming youre from Fisherville im sure you were pulling for Draft. These guys had just drove 85 yds in 1:20 and won the game on a 2point conv. and people want to talk about being classless, which i dont believe. However nothing is said about the SD player spiking the ball drawing a flag or apparently the SD AD running across field trying to get a sobbing Howie that is against the fence removed from the field. Where is he supposed to go? Was he really that good that hes hurting your team on the sideline? So again, please tell me how Richlands played so classless?

Frankly, why was the #11 taunting anyway? It isnt like Richlands was blowing anyone out? Why be so cocky (Im not saying there is ever a reason to be cocky either).

It was the second play of the game. It's a state semi. The kids are hyped up. And the reason he turned and pointed is because on the first play of the game they threw it to him and the defender shoulder checked him 20 yards downfield and then got up in Howie's face after it. They was Howie pointing back at him on the next play. He shouldn't have done it. But my god he's a 17 year old player in a state semi and the juices flowing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They just drove 85 yards in 1:20 and went for 2 to win a state semifinal in the last few seconds. Want do you want them to do?!?! When the game was over they ran out onto the field to celebrate with the 11 that were out there covering the kick.

These guys have busted their asses for YEARS to make it to a state game. Of course they're gonna celebrate. And they have every right to. It's comical how it's classlessness for our players and coaches and fans to celebrate, yet as Richlands was driving, the SD students were beginning to move towards the track in preparation of rushing the field. And had SD won, that would have been 100 percent acceptable. Why? Because a win sends you to a state title.

They showed some emotion. Get out of here with this crap. Funny how Richlands and Union have played 6 games decided by 12 total points and I watched their fans rush our field 2 years ago after a dramatic win, and those two fanbases have complete respect for one another.

Take a step back and evaluate the level and excitement for a minute and quit being so salty man. It's not healthy.

I never said what they did was not amazing. # 15 made probably one of the best catches I've ever seen in high school football. Just stated my opinion. Good luck to both Richlands and Appo in the state game.

My staff???, what in the world are you talking about? My actions or discussions are my own...however I believe Richlands team, coaches have always acted with class and if you think otherwise take the SD Homer glasses off and ask any other teams we play including appomattox last year. which I have nothing but the highest respect for their team, coaches and fans and I'd say they would agree with me on the class richlands had last year after losing a heart breaker in OT
I was at the Appo game with Richlands last year and would have to say they were good sports after a very tough loss. I do know Coach Mance is well respected but also hear of the recruiting rumors , players/parents having rental homes provided,etc and all that stuff. I will say no coach would turn a talented kid away and once you have a great program and facilities, parents who want their kids to play at the next level gravitate to those programs (we used to see a lot of that stuff from some of our local teams). But recruiting does happen in highschool football.
Back to the game ..lol....As others have said trash talking and showboating happens and it's usually the more talented players that do it. Here's the catch- earlier in the season we had one ref(not the white cap) who kept watching the play if one of our guys and warned the coach that he was about to throw him out if he didn't stop. I thought the ref was focusing to much on this one player but regardless he was the official and had that right and power. Coach took the kid out and told him he first off was better than that (to act that way) and that we didn't want to see him have to sit the next few games. The kid sat for a good while (maybe the rest of the game-can't remember) but the situation was diffused- granted that was not a playoff game where we were losing. Bottom line is this ;if #11 and the Head Coach had been warned then it is what it is regardless of how small the infraction. The shame in it is #11 was probably the best athlete on the field for both teams and didn't need the hype ...but it happens. I will be curious to see what the VHSL does....typically they back the ref's especially on unsportsmanlike calls because games that are allowed to get out of hand can become ugly and unsafe really quickly which is the main concern of the VHSL. Bottom line is these types of things are understandable coming from great competitors in big games ...but they are selfish acts nonetheless and can cost a team dearly.

I didn't see this. I saw players celebrating, but no demonstrations were directed toward the Stuarts Draft players or fans. #11 for Richlands screwed up once, maybe twice. #68 for Stuarts Draft taunted and spiked the ball on one play and was flagged for it. Aside from that, both teams conducted themselves well. Stuarts Draft has a player with a reputation for cheap shots, showboating, and taunting, but IMO, he was on his best behavior today and I commend him for showing maturity.
Out of sheer curiosity, which of our players has that reputation?

Seems like a bunch of cry babies on here that need a safe space. First ive ever heard someone complain about Richlands playing classless. I can understand Howie's actions being classless, although i cant recall him ever getting a penalty like that. But saying the whole of Richlands was classless just sounds salty to me. Would love to hear how Richlands was so classless excluding #11. As far as the neutral observer goes, assuming youre from Fisherville im sure you were pulling for Draft. These guys had just drove 85 yds in 1:20 and won the game on a 2point conv. and people want to talk about being classless, which i dont believe. However nothing is said about the SD player spiking the ball drawing a flag or apparently the SD AD running across field trying to get a sobbing Howie that is against the fence removed from the field. Where is he supposed to go? Was he really that good that hes hurting your team on the sideline? So again, please tell me how Richlands played so classless?
The AD was called over by the ref who was complaining about a fan --- possibly whoever kept blowing a whistle.

Where my Appo guys at? @Kimosabe5 @Hburghokie, @Stabler1980, @AppoCrazy (u been quiet lately), @nctarheel, @oldfool, @OldSchoolRaider (u wasnt at the appropriate place at 1PM)

I was there right between the cannon and the FG post. Talked to one guy from Buckingham about the troubles they had this past year. He was really disappointed in the coaching staff there. Hope they can shake things up and come back strong. The Battle of the Axe is always a fan favorite here.

I don't think the Bulldogs have been matched up with a great defense like Appo this year. The Goochland QB was a big boy but the pressure the D put on him was fantastic. Goes back to the theory, "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships."

I was keeping up with the Richlands game on Twitter. @BlueTornadosLive has a great Play-by-Play tweetcast. I thought during the whole game that we would be playing SD in Salem. That come brom behind win will be talked about for a long time in Richland football history.

About the ejection of the Richland player, I wasn't there so I don't know the facts about the calls. If the player got one flag he should have been smart enough not to push the limit again. I know that emotion run hot during a game like this so I can't really blame him but so much.

I'll be heading back to Salem next week. Wrap up tight guys looks like it going to be a cold one. No more t-shirt weather like last year.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
HC steers the ship...players action DIRECT reflection of coach.
From the Bluefield Daily Telegraph:
[
“We’re probably going to file a complaint and see if we can get (the ejection) overturned because both guys got in each other’s face,” said Richlands head coach Greg Mance.

“We should have never been in that situation. We should have run the first touchdown in and they got him for taunting. He knows better than that. I’ve never seen him do it and I don’t know why he did that.”

The first penalty was indeed for pointing at the defender who was chasing him as he scored a touchdown. The second one occurred on the sideline after a long play by Draft. I couldn't see what happened, but he was visibly upset at the call as were a number of Richlands fans who had a better vantage point than me.

The first call was legit and I would have flagged him too. At that point, Richlands' coaches needed to calm him down and let him know the consequences of a second violation. Again, I didn't see the second offense, but he should have been more careful regardless.
Coaches job to get him under control

I was there right between the cannon and the FG post. Talked to one guy from Buckingham about the troubles they had this past year. He was really disappointed in the coaching staff there. Hope they can shake things up and come back strong. The Battle of the Axe is always a fan favorite here.

I don't think the Bulldogs have been matched up with a great defense like Appo this year. The Goochland QB was a big boy but the pressure the D put on him was fantastic. Goes back to the theory, "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships."

I was keeping up with the Richlands game on Twitter. @BlueTornadosLive has a great Play-by-Play tweetcast. I thought during the whole game that we would be playing SD in Salem. That come brom behind win will be talked about for a long time in Richland football history.

About the ejection of the Richland player, I wasn't there so I don't know the facts about the calls. If the player got one flag he should have been smart enough not to push the limit again. I know that emotion run hot during a game like this so I can't really blame him but so much.

I'll be heading back to Salem next week. Wrap up tight guys looks like it going to be a cold one. No more t-shirt weather like last year.
We were looking for you old school, guess we were looking to far away, lol, as we were probably within 30 yards of you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT