ADVERTISEMENT

Rustburg/Appomattox

Sep 14, 2015
From what I seen tonight both run defenses are stout. Appomattox obviously knows that and will throw the ball and that's their strength against the Red Devils right now. Rustburg would be in it, if not winning, if the coaching staff saw the same thing... A 6'2 215lb QB doesn't need to be running the ball and dancing in the backfield all night. I mean for heavens sake the guy has the talent to throw it! You know their coaches are clueless when they have the ball at the 30 before half with 3 minutes & 3 time outs and run each play and never use a TO and the clock run out. As of tonight I take the 7-3 or 8-2 statement back.... You can run on sub par teams all night and get a W but a team that cues on that will win every time. If Rustburg isn't willing to pass the ball it'll be another 5-5 or 6-4 season. Poor coaching will kill this team just as it has in the past 7-8 years. Why have a spread offense if you're gonna run the read option all night with only 5 blockers up front? Minus that rant, Appomattox looks good but I don't see another state title this year maybe a deep run... Might be too soon to tell though so take this with a grain of salt.

Reactions: newleather
Appo won 17-6, but the game was not that close. Rustburg scores with 20-30 seconds left. They definitely got out coached in every aspect. Play calling was very questionable, and I saw several linemen running on empty in the 4th q. They will have a very long season, and will be lucky to finish at 3-7. Appo is extremely good, but Dan River and Altavista will give them a game

Appo won 17-6, but the game was not that close. Rustburg scores with 20-30 seconds left. They definitely got out coached in every aspect. Play calling was very questionable, and I saw several linemen running on empty in the 4th q. They will have a very long season, and will be lucky to finish at 3-7. Appo is extremely good, but Dan River and Altavista will give them a game
I don't see anyone having much of a chance except for Heritage and Amherst..I think Appo will go very deep into playoffs.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
You hit the nail on the head with the coaching but 3-7 is really pushing it... something catostraphic would have to happen. 7-3 would be the best outcome and 4-6 the worst. But newleather did you go to JF or Brookville? Seems that you have a particular disliking for Rustburg.

Actually, I really pull for Rustburg. I love the underdog story. However, I have to honest with what I see. The Seminole is the toughest district, loaded with talented teams and coaches. I love your optimism, but the truth is the heart of the schedule is extremely tough. This Red Devil team just doesn't have enough depth or coaching. I hope I'm wrong, i really do.

You hit the nail on the head with the coaching but 3-7 is really pushing it... something catostraphic would have to happen. 7-3 would be the best outcome and 4-6 the worst. But newleather did you go to JF or Brookville? Seems that you have a particular disliking for Rustburg.

Here's my breakdown after watching 2 weeks of film....
Coaching D. Vanilla play calling, 7 is the best player (great student, athlete and leader ) but way to many qb runs. Let the young man throw the ball. Maybe let 40 in on d for a few plays to get 7 a breather. On the Plus side They did move 61 to center and solve the poor snaps from game 1
32 and 2 great play out of freshman
6 solid rb if he can stay healthy
1 and 3 inconsistent. They each have flashes and then lapses. If they become consistent they will be very good. Dropped passes have saved them, but I know they can play at a higher level. 1 fair catching a punt Inside his own 5....I blame coaching for not instilling awareness of field position
58/52 very good. 62,74 both do well but get tired as the game wears on. 61 as center good, on d not so much. 300 plus guys can't go both ways at a high level. Limit his d plays to short yardage and he will be more effective. 72 added a spark with limited pt. During warm ups I saw 9 lineman dressed out. That's why I've been so critical of the depth. That's tough sledding for the big guys
Schedule. You have played Tunstall for the 4th and final time ( combined 8-0) vs them ). Allegheny this will be the last time and it's crucial to get the w. Altavista rivalry game in a tough place to play. Need a w. Liberty they are young should be a win. Then comes the toughest part. Brookville, heritage and Amherst. Ouch!! JF they will struggle this year but they have great coaches. I'll take Landis, Trent and Christmas to coach anytime. This is another must win for you. Glass has started 2-0 but if they start losing they will fall apart as a team. A win here vs another 4a school is a must for the playoffs
Take it for what you will.., I tried to be thorough

From what I seen tonight both run defenses are stout. Appomattox obviously knows that and will throw the ball and that's their strength against the Red Devils right now. Rustburg would be in it, if not winning, if the coaching staff saw the same thing... A 6'2 215lb QB doesn't need to be running the ball and dancing in the backfield all night. I mean for heavens sake the guy has the talent to throw it! You know their coaches are clueless when they have the ball at the 30 before half with 3 minutes & 3 time outs and run each play and never use a TO and the clock run out. As of tonight I take the 7-3 or 8-2 statement back.... You can run on sub par teams all night and get a W but a team that cues on that will win every time. If Rustburg isn't willing to pass the ball it'll be another 5-5 or 6-4 season. Poor coaching will kill this team just as it has in the past 7-8 years. Why have a spread offense if you're gonna run the read option all night with only 5 blockers up front? Minus that rant, Appomattox looks good but I don't see another state title this year maybe a deep run... Might be too soon to tell though so take this with a grain of salt.

I have always said Jones is made up of bubble passes and YAC. His game is to throw short and let the receiver do the work. That will never work vs. Appo D. Jones rarely thows the deep ball and it is his last option. It should be his 1st option and then look for alternatives. Is he an athlete, yes! If he goes to college, it will not be at QB. Yalls biggest mistake is not letting #6 carry the rock all night at RB position. I have already said your coach is an idiot. I said that due to the starters being in until 4th qtr vs. tunstall when yall was up 49??? SMH, what a nitwit. Thank God for Coach Smith at Appo that knows to pull the dogs off and give experience to the youngins. We left 2 scores off the board (2 dropped passes). One was a pass dropped by a D1 commit that had burned his opposition by 7 yards and another by a TE that misread the pass going to WR and tipped it when it wasnt his to catch. As far as us not being state champs. I dont see anyone in 2A stopping us except Richlands, Union, and maybe Graham (they looking good). I can see Heritage and Amherst giving us a problem though.

Last edited:
Reactions: one man
Altavista??? Nah, we will smoke them like last year. They have nothing for us. Now I am with you on Dan River, they are solid this year. That Hunt kid at RB is the truth. I do hear they are injury plagued right now though.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Altavista??? Nah, we will smoke them like last year. They have nothing for us. Now I am with you on Dan River, they are solid this year. That Hunt kid at RB is the truth. I do hear they are injury plagued right now though.
The Rustburg QB's passing motion looks very strange to me. He's a good runner, leader, but I'm curious about his arm strength with his delivery. It seems like he would hurt his shoulder throwing deep much in one game. The mechanics look way off. At LB, he's quite good.

The Rustburg QB's passing motion looks very strange to me. He's a good runner, leader, but I'm curious about his arm strength with his delivery. It seems like he would hurt his shoulder throwing deep much in one game. The mechanics look way off. At LB, he's quite good.

Great observation. To my knowledge no college is looking at him at the qb position. However, depth hurts this team here as well. The backup is not as good the 3rd qb is the freshman. The jv qb last year was horrible. So they are handcuffed. Qb read runs and screens are effective if they are mixed with occasional post, dig, drag or go routes.
It makes me wonder if they are limited at wr. Mike Jones saved them several times last year, and they seem to be missing the go to wide out
Btw, I saw your post on a different thread and your right. The last few years Rustburg has sent at least one to the next level. Lovelace- Bridgewater. Morris and Baker VMI. M jones would have gone if he had better grades.
Depth really holds this team back

Didn't see the Appomattox game, but was at the Tunstall game. The problem they were having in the passing game against the Trojans were the receivers running the wrong routes.. They tried run corner routes twice for big plays and both times the wr cut inside the defender so that were basically running a post and ended up no where near where the ball landed and both times Baker got on WRs. One time screaming when the ***** are you guys going to stop going inside the defender.

You know whats crazy? I been telling people he has poor mechanics at throwing ball since last year. He keeps elbow in front of body and the rest of throw seems awkward due to where he places elbow. then he leans sideways on his throws. Now can he throw it deep? Yes, ive seen it. is he accurate. No! Mike Jones made many of his catches last year due to him making a play on a poorly thrown ball. I dont think Rustburg has the WRs they had last yr. too many drops and they were bubble passes?? I see him going to next level but not at qb.

AdvocateOfMany434 You call smoking somebody 28-0 on a 4-6 Altavista team ? Lol never mind it's the first time y'all beat them in years lol .

AdvocateOfMany434 You call smoking somebody 28-0 on a 4-6 Altavista team ? Lol never mind it's the first time y'all beat them in years lol .
I guess we have to leave the dogs in like yall do down in Altavista (running score up with starters). Next time i will shout from stands to Doug Smith to leave the dogs in! We took them out halfway through 3rd when it was 21-0. You need to be thankful we have a conservative coach.

Haven't been following this one closely but another win again, pretty much guaranteed though. Brookvile is looking good, Glass dominated from what I heard & not sure if Amherst is for real or not (Salem seems to be playing sloppy as a comparison)

Haven't been following this one closely but another win again, pretty much guaranteed though. Brookvile is looking good, Glass dominated from what I heard & not sure if Amherst is for real or not (Salem seems to be playing sloppy as a comparison)
Why ? Amherst. They beat Salem and won a close one against LCA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT