ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando (5-0) @ Martinsburg, WV (6-0)

@86CulpGrad yes, this is supposed to be Sherando's potential best team ever, and Martinsburg doesn't look quite as sharp as their previous teams, so a possible historically great Sherando should be able to take care of business. This team has taken their lumps over the last couple of seasons, now it's showtime on the big stage while they have the opportunity.
I think their '07 was really good.....just unlucky that it was at the same time that Amherst had it rolling.

Reactions: Shruikan
It’s not like Louisa , EV , and Blacksburg have been championship powerhouses for the last 10 years on a consistent basis. Only came onto the scene in the last few years and stepped it up a little bit. We can respectfully disagree . :)

Reactions: OCBoy
In the regular season? For sure! But including the playoffs? Not a chance. I don’t think Martinsburg would beat Dinwiddie, Louisa, Blacksburg, Eastern View, and a few others.

They would beat EV to a pulp, EV isn't that good when its time to play with the big boys

I Doubt that!
Again, Sherando had plenty of chances to beat Martinsburg the last two times, but couldn't get the clutch stops. Salem would get all the stops and then some. You guys would have to have success running the ball on Salem's very stout front 7, and stay consistent with it, because you weren't going to pass on them, as Sherando and Louisa found out. Only Blacksburg had success passing on Salem in the postseason, and that's because they had Olympic quality speed and a top notch QB (who is back this year). I invite you to check out the Salem/Blacksburg playoff game on YouTube and see for yourself. Martinsburg is good and physical, but the earlier mentioned teams (besides maybe EV) were a step above.

Last edited:
So year before last EV beat Sherando by the exact same score that Martinsburg beat Sherando....but I'm sure you have excuses for that too.

Let get real here, is EV on the same level as Sherando? (NO) Is Ev on the same level as Liberty? (Doubt It) Look it up, stats don't lie, record of Ev vs opponents with winning records is well below .500, don't try and hype them up as a powerhouse, don't care how close the Dinwiddie game was last year, did they win? NO Don't kill the messenger

Reactions: 1Gensfan and OCBoy
They would beat EV to a pulp, EV isn't that good when its time to play with the big boys
Well EV played with Dinwiddie until the end, and did a great job taking advantage of Dinwiddie's young secondary. That kept them in the game, since they couldn't run the ball at all. My point is EV adjusted and did what was necessary, so that showed me they definitely belonged.

Well EV played with Dinwiddie until the end, and did a great job taking advantage of Dinwiddie's young secondary. That kept them in the game, since they couldn't run the ball at all. My point is EV adjusted and did what was necessary, so that showed me they definitely belonged.

So a participation award is due here?

They murdered a bunch of sub-par sub .500 teams last year to get there and yet they belonged? I get you play who is on your schedule, but come on now, Turner Ashby in 2018?

Best team Ev beat last year was 7-7 James Monroe team

Power house? Can Hang with Martinsburg? I think not sir

@Rev_Real I feel what you're saying, you know I'm also one of the biggest EV skeptics on here. I don't think they'd beat Martinsburg either, but it wouldn't be a blowout. I definitely think EV and Sherando are very similar as well. As with last year, I don't think EV's schedule will hurt them that much either at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Again, Sherando had plenty of chances to beat Martinsburg the last two times, but couldn't get the clutch stops. Salem would get all the stops and then some. You guys would have to have success running the ball on Salem's very stout front 7, and stay consistent with it, because you weren't going to pass on them, as Sherando and Louisa found out. Only Blacksburg had success passing on Salem in the postseason, and that's because they had Olympic quality speed and a top notch QB (who is back this year). I invite you to check out the Salem/Blacksburg playoff game on YouTube and see for yourself. Martinsburg is good and physical, but the earlier mentioned teams (besides maybe EV) were a step above.
A step above??? Saying Martinsburg would not be able to pass is comical. Tyson Bagent would have picked Salem apart. Bagent currently a true freshman starting QB at Shepeard and is the 2nd leading passer in DII.

@BulldogSoccer Sherando's Entsminger is D1 caliber and couldn't pass on Salem until the game was over. Entsminger picked defenses apart all year, including yours, but held on to the ball way too much against Salem. He had 6 completions for 63 yards against them, after passing for 2500 yards and 31 TDs! Sooner or later you gotta give Salem's coaching some credit.

Last edited:
@BulldogSoccer Sherando's Entsminger is D1 caliber and couldn't pass on Salem until the game was over. Entsminger picked defenses apart all year, including yours, but held on to the ball way too much against Salem. He had 6 completions for 63 yards against them, after passing for 2500 yards and 31 TDs!
Entsminger is very good but he's not Bagent. Bottom line Martinsburg won.

@Rev_Real I feel what you're saying, you know I'm also one of the biggest EV skeptics on here. I don't think they'd beat Martinsburg either, but it wouldn't be a blowout. I definitely think EV and Sherando are very similar as well. As with last year, I don't think EV's schedule will hurt them that much either at the end of the day.

Have to agree to disagree here boss, it would be a blowout, because EV hasn't seen anything close to that, and if they have the same group of kids haven't been on the field to see it twice, and as much as I hate Sherando, Ev isn't on their level either, and wont be for years to come, unless they make some noise after game ten, until then, sssshhhhhhh

Let get real here, is EV on the same level as Sherando? (NO) Is Ev on the same level as Liberty? (Doubt It) Look it up, stats don't lie, record of Ev vs opponents with winning records is well below .500, don't try and hype them up as a powerhouse, don't care how close the Dinwiddie game was last year, did they win? NO Don't kill the messenger
Who's hyping them as a powerhouse? For the prior 2 seasons, Sherando has played the following teams that you can say are top-flight (I'm not gonna include Liberty because they haven't been in that category): Louisa, Martinsburg(2), Eastern View, Fort Hill, Salem......losers every time. The Rev needs to go back to the pew and think about it.

Just for reference...November 7, 2008 at EV. Martinsburg 56-14. It may have been EV 1st year playing varsity. Many years Martinsburg has scrambled to fill their schedule so there have been opportunities for EV and other 4 A schools to inquire about playing.

Have to agree to disagree here boss, it would be a blowout, because EV hasn't seen anything close to that, and if they have the same group of kids haven't been on the field to see it twice, and as much as I hate Sherando, Ev isn't on their level either, and wont be for years to come, unless they make some noise after game ten, until then, sssshhhhhhh
Dinwiddie was better than Martinsburg last year.

Who's hyping them as a powerhouse? For the prior 2 seasons, Sherando has played the following teams that you can say are top-flight (I'm not gonna include Liberty because they haven't been in that category): Louisa, Martinsburg(2), Eastern View, Fort Hill, Salem......losers every time. The Rev needs to go back to the pew and think about it.

Culpeper County 56-7 W 6-7
09/01/17 R C S Turner Ashby 56-14 W
09/08/17 R C S Orange 56-14 W
09/15/17 R C S Brentsville 42-7 W
09/22/17 R C S Courtland 55-13 W
09/29/17 R C S Spotsylvania 51-11 W
10/06/17 R C S Chancellor 63-7 W
10/13/17 R C S Caroline 63-0 W
10/27/17 R C S James Monroe 58-0 W
11/03/17 R C S King George 56-0 W
/10/17 R C S Patrick Henry(A) 54-6 W
11/17/17 R C S Dinwiddie 37-40 L 12-1

And this is a top flight line up?

and they can hang with Martinsburg?

I'll save ya a seat at the pew sir

Just for reference...November 7, 2008 at EV. Martinsburg 56-14. It may have been EV 1st year playing varsity. Many years Martinsburg has scrambled to fill their schedule so there have been opportunities for EV and other 4 A schools to inquire about playing.
Well EV is in an area where they can find and play good teams much closer to them if they want to. They are 45 minutes from Louisa, 1.5 hours or less from Richmond and NoVA, etc., so it just wouldn't be very feasible to play Martinsburg.

Culpeper County 56-7 W 6-7
09/01/17 R C S Turner Ashby 56-14 W
09/08/17 R C S Orange 56-14 W
09/15/17 R C S Brentsville 42-7 W
09/22/17 R C S Courtland 55-13 W
09/29/17 R C S Spotsylvania 51-11 W
10/06/17 R C S Chancellor 63-7 W
10/13/17 R C S Caroline 63-0 W
10/27/17 R C S James Monroe 58-0 W
11/03/17 R C S King George 56-0 W
/10/17 R C S Patrick Henry(A) 54-6 W
11/17/17 R C S Dinwiddie 37-40 L 12-1

And this is a top flight line up?

and they can hang with Martinsburg?

I'll save ya a seat at the pew sir
Who said it was a top-flight line-up? BUT...I do remember several people saying PH-A would beat EV in that first round last year....and that Dinwiddie would blow them out. Sherando's schedule is VERY similar. Like you say...stats don't lie.

Who said it was a top-flight line-up? BUT...I do remember several people saying PH-A would beat EV in that first round last year....and that Dinwiddie would blow them out. Sherando's schedule is VERY similar. Like you say...stats don't lie.

Yea, I guess Ev State title record is the same as Sherando's as well, oh wait, have they even sniffed the semis? Stats don't lie

Well EV is in an area where they can find and play good teams much closer to them if they want to. They are 45 minutes from Louisa, 1.5 hours or less from Richmond and NoVA, etc., so it just wouldn't be very feasible to play Martinsburg.
Until last year, the Battlefield was very competitive. EV will always have Culpeper on the schedule, and probably Orange. That leaves 2 spots....and you have to find willing partners. It makes sense to me that Louisa and EV should play every year. They did play for a few years right when EV opened, but it's been a few years since they've played. Those 3 games were very competitive with Louisa winning 2 (1 on a last second FG) and EV winning 1.

Cant say the schedule is similar, Sherando has beaten teams with winning records that people have heard of on the Div 4 board.

Reactions: hamspear
It’s funny how memories are short , just the year before Sherando beats EV by 3 tds. OH- and EV dropped Sherando. before the last loss to Salem , Sherando beat Salem holding them to 97 yards rushing for the day. Sherando also beat a well thought of Courtland team. Beat Louisa at Louisa 35-7. People fail remember the wins that meant something. All teams have years where they are not quite what they were the year before , and sometimes you have more depth and experience and go further. Nobody at Sherando gives a crap about what any fan on here says about the Warriors.
Sherando doesn’t shy away from playing anyone that fits the schedule needs that they have. Unlike , all the other area teams that won’t play Martinsburg. So before you start knocking the schedule, lookin the mirror.
And if you don’t believe how good Martinsburg is on a yearly basis , schedule them up. I have always said , they are always looking for a game.
And in my opinion if your team is one of the teams not playing them, then you got no reason to be judging how good they are.

Cant say the schedule is similar, Sherando has beaten teams with winning records that people have heard of on the Div 4 board.
I guess that win over Sherando year before last was just dumb luck. You're right.....I submit to your rapier wit.

Until last year, the Battlefield was very competitive. EV will always have Culpeper on the schedule, and probably Orange. That leaves 2 spots....and you have to find willing partners. It makes sense to me that Louisa and EV should play every year. They did play for a few years right when EV opened, but it's been a few years since they've played. Those 3 games were very competitive with Louisa winning 2 (1 on a last second FG) and EV winning 1.
I would just drop Orange if I were EV. Orange seems to be going even more backwards, plus they drop back to 4A next cycle, so that's even less power point help. Let Culpeper keep Orange.

It’s funny how memories are short , just the year before Sherando beats EV by 3 tds. OH- and EV dropped Sherando. before the last loss to Salem , Sherando beat Salem holding them to 97 yards rushing for the day. Sherando also beat a well thought of Courtland team. Beat Louisa at Louisa 35-7. People fail remember the wins that meant something. All teams have years where they are not quite what they were the year before , and sometimes you have more depth and experience and go further. Nobody at Sherando gives a crap about what any fan on here says about the Warriors.
Sherando doesn’t shy away from playing anyone that fits the schedule needs that they have. Unlike , all the other area teams that won’t play Martinsburg. So before you start knocking the schedule, lookin the mirror.
And if you don’t believe how good Martinsburg is on a yearly basis , schedule them up. I have always said , they are always looking for a game.
And in my opinion if your team is one of the teams not playing them, then you got no reason to be judging how good they are.
Speak on it Hamspear...As I stated earlier the others just do not have a clue!

I guess that win over Sherando year before last was just dumb luck. You're right.....I submit to your rapier wit.

I'll give ya that, okay 1 quality win in that programs history, you win this one, but lets be real, TA on the schedule, is gonna get those boys ready for the playoffs? To me EV is a team is doing what they are suppose to do, beat up on the sub par teams they have on the schedule and hope the ball bounces their way in the playoffs,

And I'm not reaching on anything, Ev is 1-1 against Sherando, 2-2 against Liberty, 1-3 against Louisa, all time, not impressed by that at all, if you are then kudos to you sir and good luck in the playoffs, but they wont be there no more then 2 weeks.

I watched that complete game last night , I will be interested in his answer.
Athletic and quick...Martinsburg's line play was a big factor. Also it was a 3.5 hour bus ride played on grass and still won by 3 TD's. I agree with other comments on this board about WV HS Football not being very good. Martinsburg is a different level within the state. If you notice their schedule is 50% OOS opponents. They realize that they will not be tested within the state and are always looking for a challenge. The local HS teams that they play are just glorified scrimmage games. They have not lost to a local HS team in a decade. They have played Virginia 5A Schools and have been successful. So playing VA 4 A schools equal to or in some cases better than Martinsburg is beneficial.

@BulldogSoccer I thought Academy Park looked okay. Big offensive line but not that physical, small and quick defense, but again not that physical. Good and fast QB. I thought they looked comparable to a good VA 3A team like Hopewell. Martinsburg had a lot of missed tackles that were not because of what AP did.

@BulldogSoccer I thought Academy Park looked okay. Big offensive line but not that physical, small and quick defense, but again not that physical. Good and fast QB. I thought they looked comparable to a good VA 3A team like Hopewell. Martinsburg had a lot of missed tackles that were not because of what AP did.
Also noticed MB had a lot of bad snaps from the Center position that set drives back. I am sure they have corrected that by now . MB Qb is a stud though, tough kid runs the ball well. We will have problems with that if not contained.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT