ADVERTISEMENT

Should Vhsl really look at 1a and consider reclassification ?

Here is the address to VHSL please take said evidence to them personally. I am sure they will be happy to hear of anyone cheating the system. If not then perhaps your A.D. can proceed with legal action.

VHSL 1642 State Farm Blvd, Charlottesville, VA 22911
My Ad or Sussex Central has nothing to do with my personal opinion on this board so please stop trying to suggest so. ( Frauds) lol It’s not just me it’s talked about on numerous boards across the State Virginia, including numerous boards in the 2a forums saying Riverheads couldn’t close the deal in 2a. ( Fact) it’s not going away lol

Well you claim to have overwhelming evidence. So which is it opinon or evidence? I do not want anyone cheating the system so please clarify. If you have evidence then please bring it to light.

Reactions: MT FAN 91 and gwb16
Someone came up with a great solve for something albeit different but similar for Carroll County. Cc is a big school numbers wise, and was having to travel far away to play in their class. And was getting dominated in games against Salem, and the likes. This was not only bad for the moral of the kids but was a huge financial burden on the school, due to the travel expense and the fact that no one would come to travel to Carroll's home games to just see them get dismantled.
So VHSL let them play in the Mtn empire with local schools during regular season, but they have to move up playoff time.
Now, lol if Carroll starts winning people may start complaining

Don't worry Carroll County will not start winning anytime soon. /Coaching.

Don't worry Carroll County will not start winning anytime soon. /Coaching.

Really the only fair way to do it is to have a number of students within a designated distance to the school. Carroll County probably have students that travel 45 minutes one way to school. If they play sports it makes them getting home late as well as trying to arrange travel.

Reactions: trutiger16
giphy.gif

Fun Facts:
Last 5 years 2012-2016 the state champion or eventual state champion knocked out Essex

When Riverheads was in Division 2 for four years the state champ or eventual state champ knocked them out twice.

Reactions: gwb16
This argument has gotten annoying. Someone has to be the biggest school in each classification. The biggest school in 1A and 4A are the only two still playing, the biggest schools in 2A, 3A, 5A, and 6A are all at home.
Galax is the 15th biggest school in 1A. Size of the school certainly matters because it means there are more students to pull from but does not always mean success.

the 20 biggest schools in 1A
1. Riverheads in the final 4 Region B champ
2. Windsor finished 0-10
3. Washington and Lee lost in the second round
4. GW lost in the first round
5. Northampton lost in the first round
6. Central-Lunenburg lost in the second round
7. Stonewall Jackson finished 0-11
8. Essex in the final 4 Region A champ
9. Grundy lost in the first round
10. Northumberland lost in the 2nd round
11. Chilhowie in the final 4 Region D champ
12. Auburn lost in the first round
13. Cumberland 0-11
13. PH Glade Spring lost in the second round
14. Eastside lost in the first round
15. Galax in the final 4 Region C Champ
16. Mathews 1-9
17. Altavista lost in the second round
18. Lancaster 1-9
19. Rappahannock 3-7
20. Middlesex lost in the first round

I am no statistician but I would say that number of students does not directly correlate to wins. 3 teams didn't win a game, 2 more only won 1 game. A lot of teams within 1 game of .500 in that crew right there.

@trutiger16, I made it about Sussex by congratulating the team on their success. If that is attacking then I suppose we should all just give up being on these boards.

It’s obvious you have a very strong opinion and no one will change your mind. No need to argue a point repeatedly, so I am not going to try.

Last edited:
@trutiger16, I made it about Sussex by congratulating the team on their success. If that is attacking then I suppose we should all just give up being on these boards.

It’s obvious you have a very strong opinion and no one will change your mind. No need to argue a point repeatedly, so I am not going to try.
I wasn’t referring to you it was another poster, I’m not against Riverheads I have stated in the past my beef is with vhsl, but if you attack me I will attack back. You and your community are great people who has a football program that is very outstanding you should support them at all cost.

Really the only fair way to do it is to have a number of students within a designated distance to the school. Carroll County probably have students that travel 45 minutes one way to school. If they play sports it makes them getting home late as well as trying to arrange travel.

Carroll is a largely populated school centrally located in the county. But the county is 478 square miles with 2,500 feet of elevation changes and a large river dissecting the county. The point is, outlying areas of the county offer no straight line or easy passage to Hillsville.

There are kids in Carroll that travel well over an hour to get to school by bus. I was one of those kids 25 years ago. When I was there in the late 80's, the entire athletic program was limited to what effectively amounted to a small radius around Hillsville in which to pull athletes. There were the occasional outlier, but for all intents and purposes, kids from the outreaches of the county were excluded. Some of that was self imposed due to county politics but most was geographical.

Ironically, I lived closer to Rural Retreat (19 miles), Fort Chiswell (18 miles), George Wythe (18 miles) and Grayson County (24 miles) than Carroll County (28 miles). Yet, the powers that were at that time, thought it wise for us to spend 3-1/2 hours a day on a school bus.

In conclusion, Carroll County is in a very unenviable position.

I wasn’t referring to you it was another poster, I’m not against Riverheads I have stated in the past my beef is with vhsl, but if you attack me I will attack back. You and your community are great people who has a football program that is very outstanding you should support them at all cost.
I was mistaken then. I took it as you were offended in some manner by what I had said. I am proud of not only my school but several more in the area and I genuinely just like to see good HS football.

As an example, from afar I follow GW although I didn’t want Blaster to know. This is due to the phenomenal atmosphere I experienced watching them play Radford then hosting us the following week in 2015.

There are about 8-10 very solid programs in 1A that we all know right now will be in the mix next year. Whoever wins this year will have earned it as with every year. There are no gimmes and anything can and most likely will happen.

Success at any level has multilple factors with coaching being the cornerstone. Riverheads has been blessed with Casto who I would argue continually gets results with less athleticism than the teams we play in any division. The youth program is solid with the kids running the same plays from the time they put pads on until they graduate. The assistants are also a huge part as they work as one to get the plan in place and executed. Long and short is the kids and talent levels change but the coaches are the constant.

I will get back off of my soapbox and let this argument go wherever it goes. I choose to see the best in people and that’s about all I have to say about that.

So with all the talk about enrollment I wanted to research it further. According to propublica which is the institute that schools have to report their enrollment for programs such as in this case funding for free and reduced lunches.
Riverheads enrollment since 2012 has averaged from a high of 590 in 2012 to a low of 478. The past four years average has been 488 with a total of 519 including special needs children.

I understand this is a touchy subject. Two points of views here.
1. Is more numbers give you an advantage when it comes to depth. Some schools are fielding teams with very few players going both ways and it takes a toll on teams that are have players playing both ways with very little breaks.
2. Point two you line up your best 11 and I'll line up mine and let's have at it.

Again this is just a post for clarity not throwing shade on any team or anyone. I hope it helps.
So following you logic, Colonial Beach with 180 kids should be able to compete with Oscar Smith with 2000, since they both only put 11 on th foeld at a time? That is just simply not the case. The more kids in a school the more likely that school will have more talent. That is a fact. If it wasnt there would be no need for classifications to begin with

To answer the OP, yes, VHSL needs to adjust the numbers. There is to much difference in the lower classes. Teams like Colonial Beach and KQ and WP with 180, 200, 260 kids can never expect to be competive on a yearly basis with schools that have more than twice and sometimes almost 3 times as many kids. 475 is to many for 1A. Almost everyone agees on that. Yes there has to be a biggest and smallest in each class, but a school should never have to compete with schools more than twice their size. Anyone who thinks otherwise just isnt interested in fairness. Case in point, CB had play RH last year. 180 kids vs 474. RH faithful say they see nothing wrong it, they just play where vhsl say they play yada yada yada. Well, I can guarandamntee you RH or any other school would raise holy hell if they had to play a school with 948 kids for a title. Coaching can only carry you so far. Again, RH is a prime example. Best coaches in the state, yet they could never win a state title in 2A, had to drop down to 1A to get that. Sure they were competive at the 2A level, but even the greatest coaches in the state could not overcome the lack of depth and talent that is afforded to schools with more kids. Its just a simple fact, more kids to choose from, you will end up with more talent. Then you get into counties like King Queen. Only one school in big county, only about 190 kids in the entire county. So your kid "pool" if you will is 190. Then you take a county like Wythe with 2 schools. Chiswell with about 510 and George Wythe with about 460. Well that county has a kid "pool" of 970 kids.

Onto the classifications. VHSL basically counted all the schools in the state, roughly about 315, and tried to divide them up so each classification had the same amount of teams. This is how the enrollment numbers were determined. The current enrollement numbers basically make each classification end up with about 55 schools each. The driving force of the reallignment and classification was equal number of schools in each class, not equal competition. If you start adjusting the enrollment numbers, we end up with a bigger size differential in the classes. Example: 1A would go from about 56 to 45, 2A might go from 55 to 70. So now VHSL has to have different formats for playoffs and such, and since they are the laziest people on the planet, they have no interest in doing anything that requires more effort

So following you logic, Colonial Beach with 180 kids should be able to compete with Oscar Smith with 2000, since they both only put 11 on th foeld at a time? That is just simply not the case. The more kids in a school the more likely that school will have more talent. That is a fact. If it wasnt there would be no need for classifications to begin with
You need to reread my post!!!!!Not once in my post did I post MY OPINION. I simply stated the two opinions that are most popular on this forum.

This argument has gotten annoying. Someone has to be the biggest school in each classification. The biggest school in 1A and 4A are the only two still playing, the biggest schools in 2A, 3A, 5A, and 6A are all at home.
Galax is the 15th biggest school in 1A. Size of the school certainly matters because it means there are more students to pull from but does not always mean success.

the 20 biggest schools in 1A
1. Riverheads in the final 4 Region B champ
2. Windsor finished 0-10
3. Washington and Lee lost in the second round
4. GW lost in the first round
5. Northampton lost in the first round
6. Central-Lunenburg lost in the second round
7. Stonewall Jackson finished 0-11
8. Essex in the final 4 Region A champ
9. Grundy lost in the first round
10. Northumberland lost in the 2nd round
11. Chilhowie in the final 4 Region D champ
12. Auburn lost in the first round
13. Cumberland 0-11
13. PH Glade Spring lost in the second round
14. Eastside lost in the first round
15. Galax in the final 4 Region C Champ
16. Mathews 1-9
17. Altavista lost in the second round
18. Lancaster 1-9
19. Rappahannock 3-7
20. Middlesex lost in the first round

I am no statistician but I would say that number of students does not directly correlate to wins. 3 teams didn't win a game, 2 more only won 1 game. A lot of teams within 1 game of .500 in that crew right there.
Totally disagree. None of these teams could compete with or beat Oscar Smith or Ocean Lakes. The number of students absolutely matters, its why NFL teams have the same number of players on rosters and colleges and high schools have classifications

To answer the OP, yes, VHSL needs to adjust the numbers. There is to much difference in the lower classes. Teams like Colonial Beach and KQ and WP with 180, 200, 260 kids can never expect to be competive on a yearly basis with schools that have more than twice and sometimes almost 3 times as many kids. 475 is to many for 1A. Almost everyone agees on that. Yes there has to be a biggest and smallest in each class, but a school should never have to compete with schools more than twice their size. Anyone who thinks otherwise just isnt interested in fairness. Case in point, CB had play RH last year. 180 kids vs 474. RH faithful say they see nothing wrong it, they just play where vhsl say they play yada yada yada. Well, I can guarandamntee you RH or any other school would raise holy hell if they had to play a school with 948 kids for a title. Coaching can only carry you so far. Again, RH is a prime example. Best coaches in the state, yet they could never win a state title in 2A, had to drop down to 1A to get that. Sure they were competive at the 2A level, but even the greatest coaches in the state could not overcome the lack of depth and talent that is afforded to schools with more kids. Its just a simple fact, more kids to choose from, you will end up with more talent. Then you get into counties like King Queen. Only one school in big county, only about 190 kids in the entire county. So your kid "pool" if you will is 190. Then you take a county like Wythe with 2 schools. Chiswell with about 510 and George Wythe with about 460. Well that county has a kid "pool" of 970 kids.
AWESOME!

Just curious how the assumption is made that RH made the jump down to compete in football? On what inside knowledge is that statement made repeatedly on these boards?
To your 2A argument, I would argue again that 4 years isn’t a large enough sample size to say without question that they could never win a title at 2A. There are two more teams in our county that haven’t even sniffed the playoffs consistently that have 200 plus more kids every year and dang near 300 most times and they have losing records against the Red team.

Making the system fit for every situation would be monumental. Is it right now? I agree it isn’t but 12 classifications isn’t the answer and making a class with only 30 teams while another has 80 isn’t either.

Someone in here had a four class system that looked good on paper but I am sure it has pitfalls too.

I will ask the same tired question I always ask. What is the right number for cutoff and why is it Riverheads is always the one in the discussion not Stonewall or Windsor who are close to the imaginary line as well? Success breeds contempt, so hate away. One day this run will end and everyone will not worry about the collusion that is going in with the VHSL.

No one has even called this guy on this using the best argument!

Sussex Central plays a DISTRICT schedule that includes two 3a teams and two 2a teams. Southampton has 700 students and Sussex has 315! I doubt Sussex coaches and players are worried about Riverheads enrollment when they routinely face much larger schools. They seem to just play the team in front of them and move on.

And using the same example...Southampton has 700 students but they were eliminated from the playoffs in 3a by a school with over 1000. I doubt that the Southampton coach called the VHSL.

My point is the same the opinion found in many other posts...there is no perfect system but the schools compete and rarely complain. They certainly don’t send the message to the kids that they were cheated!

Further evidence that this Bozo has no real connection to the Sussex program. Classless!

Reactions: gladiators01
Just curious how the assumption is made that RH made the jump down to compete in football? On what inside knowledge is that statement made repeatedly on these boards?
To your 2A argument, I would argue again that 4 years isn’t a large enough sample size to say without question that they could never win a title at 2A. There are two more teams in our county that haven’t even sniffed the playoffs consistently that have 200 plus more kids every year and dang near 300 most times and they have losing records against the Red team.

Making the system fit for every situation would be monumental. Is it right now? I agree it isn’t but 12 classifications isn’t the answer and making a class with only 30 teams while another has 80 isn’t either.

Someone in here had a four class system that looked good on paper but I am sure it has pitfalls too.

I will ask the same tired question I always ask. What is the right number for cutoff and why is it Riverheads is always the one in the discussion not Stonewall or Windsor who are close to the imaginary line as well? Success breeds contempt, so hate away. One day this run will end and everyone will not worry about the collusion that is going in with the VHSL.
No one has even called this guy on this using the best argument!

Sussex Central plays a DISTRICT schedule that includes two 3a teams and two 2a teams. Southampton has 700 students and Sussex has 315! I doubt Sussex coaches and players are worried about Riverheads enrollment when they routinely face much larger schools. They seem to just play the team in front of them and move on.

And using the same example...Southampton has 700 students but they were eliminated from the playoffs in 3a by a school with over 1000. I doubt that the Southampton coach called the VHSL.

My point is the same the opinion found in many other posts...there is no perfect system but the schools compete and rarely complain. They certainly don’t send the message to the kids that they were cheated!

Further evidence that this Bozo has no real connection to the Sussex program. Classless!
This again has nothing to do with Sussex , the next insult from you will be reported to preps, I have a right to my opinion if you don’t like what I post why read it and comment? Lol i never said this was a Sussex issue please stop cooning !

Just out of curiosity I went and looked at Class 6 schools. The enrollment goes from about 1950 at JEB Stuart to over 3500 at T C
Williams (Remember the Titans movie). I just skimmed the message boards over there and I didn't see any real in depth discussion or complaining about enrollment and fairness of competition. Why is that? Should a school with 1950 be able to find 50 good football players just as easily as one with 3500 and be competitive? Since 1999 T C Williams has only had 3 winning seasons while being the biggest school out there most of the time. Maybe it's not just about numbers but the heart and desire that these kids have to play the sport they love. The coaches at these smaller schools also deserve some credit. Smaller schools beat bigger schools every week, so is it really about enrollment numbers? Probably not.

Last edited:
<400 = 1A
401-750 = 2A
751-1450 = 3A/3AA (split the division in half)
>1451 = 4A/4AA-5A (split the division in half)

16 team playoff for each division

I would also do away with the ignorant rule about split districts. Why should schools like K&Q and Rappahannock County be forced to play up just to get in the stinking playoffs? A much more sensible approach would be to require a certain minimum amount of games vs. schools in the same division.

Last edited:
It's sad that the Tigers have so much talent on that team and the players just can't eat what coach J is putting on their plate ! Won't shock me to see him move on and let someone else , Beat The Dead Horse ! Coach J is a very good coach and a better man . Not sure the kids know how good he is ! Last year I could see the agony on his face during the big game when the kids lost their composer . Wish him the best and the Tigers a good Basketball season !

How long can one cheat the system?
Unsure how they are cheating the system. Isn't it reasonable to assume that they report their true numbers (someone has to be the biggest after all). Its unlikely that schools will underreport their numbers for budgetary reasons. Their March 31, 2012 ADM (494) put them in Group A, Division 2 for the 2013-2014 alignment. Their March 31, 2014 ADM (475) put them in Group A, Division 1 for the 2015-2016 alignment. Their March 31, 2016 ADM (474) put them in Class 1A for the 2017-2018 alignment. These ADM's are the only numbers that matter for alignment purposes. Perhaps the school is in an area that is rather static in population - its certainly conceivable that their ADM remained basically the same for the two different reporting dates. Keep in mind, the ADM is an AVERAGE figure. Their actual enrollment in each year would be a little higher (and different) than the reported ADM figure. This is true for every single school out there. We shouldn't blame the VHSL for the 475 cutoff either. The then Group A schools decided that they wanted the Group A Division 1 cutoff established at 475 and below in time for the September 2015 alignment. This cutoff was kept at 475 for the September 2017 alignment by the Class 1 schools..

Reactions: uvacavs1
Unsure how they are cheating the system. Isn't it reasonable to assume that they report their true numbers (someone has to be the biggest after all). Its unlikely that schools will underreport their numbers for budgetary reasons. Their March 31, 2012 ADM (494) put them in Group A, Division 2 for the 2013-2014 alignment. Their March 31, 2014 ADM (475) put them in Group A, Division 1 for the 2015-2016 alignment. Their March 31, 2016 ADM (474) put them in Class 1A for the 2017-2018 alignment. These ADM's are the only numbers that matter for alignment purposes. Perhaps the school is in an area that is rather static in population - its certainly conceivable that their ADM remained basically the same for the two different reporting dates. Keep in mind, the ADM is an AVERAGE figure. Their actual enrollment in each year would be a little higher (and different) than the reported ADM figure. This is true for every single school out there. We shouldn't blame the VHSL for the 475 cutoff either. The then Group A schools decided that they wanted the Group A Division 1 cutoff established at 475 and below in time for the September 2015 alignment. This cutoff was kept at 475 for the September 2017 alignment by the Class 1 schools..
Once again I only asked for suggestions but when I do The Red Team Fans go to attack mode this has nothing to do with any specific program

<400 = 1A
401-750 = 2A
751-1450 = 3A/3AA (split the division in half)
>1451 = 4A/4AA-5A (split the division in half)

16 team playoff for each division

I would also do away with the ignorant rule about split districts. Why should schools like K&Q and Rappahannock County be forced to play up just to get in the stinking playoffs? A much more sensible approach would be to require a certain minimum amount of games vs. schools in the same division.
Mine is 4 classes, no splits, NO mixed districts, teams within 5 places of a cutoff may play up or down:
1A: <450, 16 playoff teams
2A: 451-900, 24 playoff teams
3A: 901-1600, 32 playoff teams
4A: >1601, 32 playoff teams

Reactions: mmqp
Mine is 4 classes, no splits, NO mixed districts, teams within 5 places of a cutoff may play up or down:
1A: <450, 16 playoff teams
2A: 451-900, 24 playoff teams
3A: 901-1600, 32 playoff teams
4A: >1601, 32 playoff teams

I like this idea as well. I have a feeling a lot of people would have an issue with the mixed number of playoff games in each division though.

Once again I only asked for suggestions but when I do The Red Team Fans go to attack mode this has nothing to do with any specific program
Why do you find facts or questions an attack? You seem to make a lot of assumptions but not a Riverheads fan at all. Currently enjoying my alma mater's current unexpected run to the Class 5 State Semi's as a matter of fact. I usually get drawn into discussions about redistricting and reclassification, for some strange reason I find it an interesting puzzle. At any rate, I was replying to your "How long can they cheat" comment and the banality of some of your previous postings in this thread. Those are not simply "asking for suggestions" as you put it. But please, by all means continue to deflect any reasonable discussion with blanket accusations.

Why do you find facts or questions an attack? You seem to make a lot of assumptions but not a Riverheads fan at all. Currently enjoying my alma mater's current unexpected run to the Class 5 State Semi's as a matter of fact. I usually get drawn into discussions about redistricting and reclassification, for some strange reason I find it an interesting puzzle. At any rate, I was replying to your "How long can they cheat" comment and the banality of some of your previous postings in this thread. Those are not simply "asking for suggestions" as you put it. But please, by all means continue to deflect any reasonable discussion with blanket accusations.
I wasn’t referring to you, I was letting you know how it’s perceived

I don't think there needs to be any kind of adjustment. Look at other states around us and it could be much worse.

West Virginia 1A
Smallest- Hundred 106
Largest- Ravenswood 433
Hundred went 3-7 in 2010, their best record listed on maxpreps (2004-2017)

North Carolina 1A
Smallest- Creswell 103
Largest- Bessemer 647
Creswell hasn't been very good as of late but had a run from 207-2011 where they had a 46-12 record and never lost more than 3 games with playoff trips each year.

Maryland 1A
Smallest- Hancock 112
Largest Chesapeake 746
A quick maxpreps search showed that Hancock made the 1A playoffs in 2013 only to be rewarded by playing North Carroll HS, a school with 6 times their enrollment and lost 14-13

People are upset that a school has to play school that is not even twice their size in the playoffs when it could be playing a school 6x your size. Sure if you want to cut it at 400, go ahead, then 2A will cut theirs down, so on until we end up with 7, 8, or more champions and it waters the whole thing down.

It might be because you keep accusing the school of blatant cheating.
I didn’t expose this it was started last season , it’s also a hot topic on the 2a boards. Come on TrojanFan22560 you scared of the Red Team already lol! Bow down to them lol

Wythe has 3 schools

I didn’t expose this it was started last season , it’s also a hot topic on the 2a boards. Come on TrojanFan22560 you scared of the Red Team already lol! Bow down to them lol
lol, scared. Quite the opposite. You don't see Essex complaining about playing a school bigger than them. Essex wasa smaller D2 for years and had plenty of success. Like I said in a different post, I feel the state is already too watered down. I wish we were just 4A. It means more when you have to win out over more teams, not less.

Reactions: obguthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT