ADVERTISEMENT

Should Vhsl really look at 1a and consider reclassification ?

I don't think there needs to be any kind of adjustment. Look at other states around us and it could be much worse.

West Virginia 1A
Smallest- Hundred 106
Largest- Ravenswood 433
Hundred went 3-7 in 2010, their best record listed on maxpreps (2004-2017)

North Carolina 1A
Smallest- Creswell 103
Largest- Bessemer 647
Creswell hasn't been very good as of late but had a run from 207-2011 where they had a 46-12 record and never lost more than 3 games with playoff trips each year.

Maryland 1A
Smallest- Hancock 112
Largest Chesapeake 746
A quick maxpreps search showed that Hancock made the 1A playoffs in 2013 only to be rewarded by playing North Carroll HS, a school with 6 times their enrollment and lost 14-13

People are upset that a school has to play school that is not even twice their size in the playoffs when it could be playing a school 6x your size. Sure if you want to cut it at 400, go ahead, then 2A will cut theirs down, so on until we end up with 7, 8, or more champions and it waters the whole thing down.

Or it could be that we do not want to see it get to the point that it is in other states.

Maryland, love that you bring them up, most of their smallest schools have dropped playing football altogether. I wonder why? ...

West Virginia? They made the absolutely awful decision to allow a catholic school from Wheeling to play in 1A..any clue who normally dominates 1A in WV?

As far as watering it down goes, I still have 6 state champions in my proposal. Someone else proposed 4 divisions. I do not see any watering down. Yes, 1A would be weak compared to the other divisions. But they would be anyway. 2A would be loaded in my proposal and that is a great thing. All of a sudden the regular season would actually mean a whole lot. No more 3-7 or 4-6 teams getting in. I think once they went above a certain amount of schools in the division, then yes, split it. But set that number at, say, 80 and see how long it takes for them to get to that point.

Reactions: obguthr
I didn’t expose this it was started last season , it’s also a hot topic on the 2a boards. Come on TrojanFan22560 you scared of the Red Team already lol! Bow down to them lol

I'm on 2a boards more than here as that is where my team is. I have seen you reference this quite a few times. Exactly where are you seeing this? I havent

I'm on 2a boards more than here as that is where my team is. I have seen you reference this quite a few times. Exactly where are you seeing this? I havent

Unless you are referring to the Luray/Lee talk, which is 1 person saying something. Not multiple threads weekly about the same topic, every year.

And in that Luray/Lee topic, it was saying that IF they had more students they would have a better chance, not one person has said they are in wrong classification or cheating

I think it should be based on the number of students and the number of players you actually have playing. Figure out some way to regulate this. FC is 2A with 1A numbers coming out to play football. You could have 1000 students with 25 kids coming out to play football and be in 3A. No kid gets cut in just about every school when it comes to football. Other sports are totally different. It wouldn’t be easy but it could be done. Some will say, cheating would accrue. Like it doesn’t now. LoL!!

Can someone explain the cutoffs, playing up/playing down, etc. for the different classifications now?

From my understanding, 1A is the only classification with a hard cutoff figure (the 475), while the other classifications (2A-6A) have a figure like 5 percent variance, that as long as they don't exceed the 5 percent rule, it allows them to remain in the current classification.

Also, is a school allowed to play up a division? Reason I ask, is because there are a couple 3A schools that have fewer students than some of the 2A schools (i'm sure this is common in the other classifications too, but only using 2a/3a for this example). The schools playing in 3A with numbers in the upper 700s I'm chalking up to the 5 percent rule, however, the ones with 600-660 make me think they are choosing to play 3A rather than 2A.

Can someone explain the cutoffs, playing up/playing down, etc. for the different classifications now?

From my understanding, 1A is the only classification with a hard cutoff figure (the 475), while the other classifications (2A-6A) have a figure like 5 percent variance, that as long as they don't exceed the 5 percent rule, it allows them to remain in the current classification.

Also, is a school allowed to play up a division? Reason I ask, is because there are a couple 3A schools that have fewer students than some of the 2A schools (i'm sure this is common in the other classifications too, but only using 2a/3a for this example). The schools playing in 3A with numbers in the upper 700s I'm chalking up to the 5 percent rule, however, the ones with 600-660 make me think they are choosing to play 3A rather than 2A.
I thought you had to play in whatever class you fall in. There are teams that used to be AAA D5, that are now 3A like the Richmond City schools and Phoebus. I would think Phoebus could play up if they could. (not that they're dominating like everyone thought they would)

I thought you had to play in whatever class you fall in. There are teams that used to be AAA D5, that are now 3A like the Richmond City schools and Phoebus. I would think Phoebus could play up if they could. (not that they're dominating like everyone thought they would)
That's what I thought too, but to be honest with you, I can't keep up with the changes anymore as it seems like once I think I've figure it out, it's changed again.

I just went in and checked the "Alignment Table" on the VHSL website to see if there were any other examples of some some 4A teams having fewer students than some 3A schools, 5A schools having fewer students than some 4A schools, 6A schools having fewer students than some 5A schools, and there are a few in each division like that. Granted, most are probably within the 5 percent variance (granted for all divisions except 1A), but the 3A schools with ~600-660 students do make me think they are given an exception to play up.

Reactions: 44kennedy
I generally don't pay too much attention to who is posting what or who might repeat himself over and over. Instead I look for interesting content in these messages.

So with that in mind, I would like to simply point out two important facts that all of you should consider:

1) Both the geography and the population of this state are irregular. You have metropolitan schools with 2,000 or more students, yet 20 miles away, you might have a D-1 school with 200 students. Some schools are growing so fast (Harrisonburg now has 1,800 students and is the only D-5 school anywhere near), whereas other schools are so small, it is all they can do to field a baseball team, much less football or basketball. (Example Highland County.) Therefore it will be an ongoing battle every year, or I guess I should say every two years, for the VHSL to put teams where they are best suited.

2) No matter what the cut-offs are, there will always have to be a smallest and a largest school within any given division. So if some of you complainers ever get your wish and Riverheads moves up a classification, you same guys will immediately zero in on whoever is then the largest school in D-1 and start accusing them of the same thing.

Having said that, some people have made valid points here today about the wide discrepancy within any given division. It is entirely true, and only common sense, that the more students you have in a school, the better the chance to have quality athletes. But I think it is a sliding scale sort of thing........meaning a 400 school may have a better team than a 200 school, a 1,200 school may be stronger than an 800, and a 3,000 school may be stronger than a 2,000. But unless you start crowning 32 or 64 state champions every year, THERE IS NO PERFECT SOLUTION!

lol, scared. Quite the opposite. You don't see Essex complaining about playing a school bigger than them. Essex wasa smaller D2 for years and had plenty of success. Like I said in a different post, I feel the state is already too watered down. I wish we were just 4A. It means more when you have to win out over more teams, not less.
I was wondering the same thing.
There are other boards besides Va. Preps do the research

What are they?
Do the research, I don’t want to give you fake news the funny part is some of the posters up here are apart of it, this goes back to at least 3 years, you rookies are not aware of some of the things people have posted up here but I am

Do the research, I don’t want to give you fake news the funny part is some of the posters up here are apart of it, this goes back to at least 3 years, you rookies are not aware of some of the things people have posted up here but I am
I googled virginia high school football message board and all that came up was virginiapreps.com and swva sports. Idk what other message boards there are.

Rookie? I've been on here since like 2003.

I googled virginia high school football message board and all that came up was virginiapreps.com and swva sports. Idk what other message boards there are.
HRvarsity used to have one too, but I haven't been over there in a while. I feel like there was at least one more in addition to these 3, but I am not sure what it was.

Troll. I have been on here longer than most. Since early 2000's. And you want to try and make excuses, but you can't spin this lie. Whether it was on this thread or another you said this was a hot topic on the 2a board. So we are supposed to believe you meant another website's 2a board? No, you just didn't think anyone would call you out on it.

Also, you have constantly said in recent weeks that you weren't naming any schools but people having guilty consciences. LIE again. You post the teams left enrollment, first being 474 for Riverheads, then post 474 over and over, so you DID name them.

And another thing about the 2a boards, saying it is a hot topic right now on 2a boards, then say something about 3 years. That isn't new or hot.

Before you start calling people out and making false claims, at LEAST make sure you have credible info. At least 75% of the people posting on here in these topics have been here FAR LONGER than you. I know that at least 3 have been here since early 2000s, so that would make you the rookie. So I will get in contact with the admins on here, that I know from being here so long and get your name changed to RookieTroll

Troll. I have been on here longer than most. Since early 2000's. And you want to try and make excuses, but you can't spin this lie. Whether it was on this thread or another you said this was a hot topic on the 2a board. So we are supposed to believe you meant another website's 2a board? No, you just didn't think anyone would call you out on it.

Also, you have constantly said in recent weeks that you weren't naming any schools but people having guilty consciences. LIE again. You post the teams left enrollment, first being 474 for Riverheads, then post 474 over and over, so you DID name them.

And another thing about the 2a boards, saying it is a hot topic right now on 2a boards, then say something about 3 years. That isn't new or hot.

Before you start calling people out and making false claims, at LEAST make sure you have credible info. At least 75% of the people posting on here in these topics have been here FAR LONGER than you. I know that at least 3 have been here since early 2000s, so that would make you the rookie. So I will get in contact with the admins on here, that I know from being here so long and get your name changed to RookieTroll
Ok Bigot ! Lol

Ok Bigot ! Lol

Bigot? Do you even know what thst word means? I haven't done anything biggoty. What exactly did I say in this post thst was incorrect? I obviously am not going to get your name changed, but what you are doing in recent weeks is trolling. Before these past few weeks, you were a good poster

Bigot? Do you even know what thst word means? I haven't done anything biggoty. What exactly did I say in this post thst was incorrect? I obviously am not going to get your name changed, but what you are doing in recent weeks is trolling. Before these past few weeks, you were a good poster
Attack me I attack back

I still dont understand this concept that those of us who want the divisions changed want like 15 state champions. No one is asking for any more than a maximum of 6, which is what we already have in Virginia.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
What’s trolling, I have only stated my opinion on this board, it’s you and others that have called me names and attacked because I disagree with certain things. If you don’t like what I post please don’t read it or respond. I’m sure 100% I’m within my rights on this board, sorry if I hurt your feelings but respect me and I will respect you back.

Attack me I attack back

Nobody has attacked you. I will repeat, what you have been doing is trolling to get people riled up. That is trolling. You attacked people unprovoked by calling others rookies without knowing a thing.

I will say it again, before these last few weeks you were a good poster. I guess you see that as an attack.

You also have flooded the board with threads about the same thing that has been discussed over and over, before you were here. You also have made everyone who disagrees with your point to be attacking you and a fan of a team that a lot of the ones you have done that to not fans of. Not just me, but others. I DISLIKE Riverheads, but at least from the area. You did it to someone from different part of the state, with their school name in their screen name. You even have fans from your own school upset and not wanting to associate with you or saying thst you don't represent the area. That should tell you something

Nobody has attacked you. I will repeat, what you have been doing is trolling to get people riled up. That is trolling. You attacked people unprovoked by calling others rookies without knowing a thing.

I will say it again, before these last few weeks you were a good poster. I guess you see that as an attack.

You also have flooded the board with threads about the same thing that has been discussed over and over, before you were here. You also have made everyone who disagrees with your point to be attacking you and a fan of a team that a lot of the ones you have done that to not fans of. Not just me, but others. I DISLIKE Riverheads, but at least from the area. You did it to someone from different part of the state, with their school name in their screen name. You even have fans from your own school upset and not wanting to associate with you or saying thst you don't represent the area. That should tell you something
That fan from my school just joined in October, he was the rookie I was referring to. Thanks for confirming what I’ve been saying about the prior post about crazy numbers lol I guess I wasn’t lying after all.

Yeah I understand it has to be an cutoff , but there shouldn’t be an 100 plus difference and some cases more, plus there is actually proven fact that some programs move down for that advantage.
In class 2 it can as much as 300 difference.

giphy.gif
That's a good one Gunz even I laughed.

Unless you are referring to the Luray/Lee talk, which is 1 person saying something. Not multiple threads weekly about the same topic, every year.

And in that Luray/Lee topic, it was saying that IF they had more students they would have a better chance, not one person has said they are in wrong classification or cheating
Thank you Gunz for not miss quoting me, I don't think anyone is cheating,I think the rules are what they are and they will be hard to satisfy everyone,look at it this way when you are a small school in a tough district and you play well and have a good season you are recognized by the people that really no the game.

Thank you Gunz for not miss quoting me, I don't think anyone is cheating,I think the rules are what they are and they will be hard to satisfy everyone,look at it this way when you are a small school in a tough district and you play well and have a good season you are recognized by the people that really no the game.

Ah, come on man. I recognized them and I dont know anything lol

I know, I'm just saying at least one person who recognized them obviously doesn't know anything :) lol
Luray had a good season,they just ran into a buzz saw last Friday night,it would have taken their best game to stay in it.Lee can very easily win it all.

Luray had a good season,they just ran into a buzz saw last Friday night,it would have taken their best game to stay in it.Lee can very easily win it all.

I think Lee played their best game, and Luray played their worst. Lee QB was much better than when SD played them. I dont know much about Poquoson, but should Lee win that game, they will have to play even better in championship game

I think Lee played their best game, and Luray played their worst. Lee QB was much better than when SD played them. I dont know much about Poquoson, but should Lee win that game, they will have to play even better in championship game
He was much better than when we played them the first time.They are moving in the right direction at the right time.On film Poquoson looks a like like Luray.

From that, Lee should be favored against Poquoson. But they need an A++++ game against Appomattox or Union
You are right,if they play like they did against Luray and Central they will be in the game that is for sure no matter who they play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT