ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship, Riverheads vs Radford. Who you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On behalf of all alumni of Graham High School, I sincerely apologize for the fools on this thread that are making my alma mater appear so poorly to the rest of the fans of Virginia Class 2 schools. It’s only a simpleton who thinks that recalling obscure details of a regional playoff game (which I did, for what it’s worth) makes you any more or less a reputable spokesperson for a school.

Sadly, crusty old Graham “fans” like these members of the “unsilent minority” have berated and mocked all those who think differently into submission. There are those of us who aren’t complete horses asses.

Reactions: Kimosabe5
Eddie Neel and Eddie Hall. How do you gentlemen take your crow?
You didn't answer the whole question.... what was the nickname of the 2 linebackers for Graham? Who was the team Dr. What was his nickname? Also, nobody on here has berated or ridiculed anybody, Graham fans have been very respectful. Who caught the pass? Please do not accuse me of things that I have not done.

On behalf of all alumni of Graham High School, I sincerely apologize for the fools on this thread that are making my alma mater appear so poorly to the rest of the fans of Virginia Class 2 schools. It’s only a simpleton who thinks that recalling obscure details of a regional playoff game (which I did, for what it’s worth) makes you any more or less a reputable spokesperson for a school.

Sadly, crusty old Graham “fans” like these members of the “unsilent minority” have berated and mocked all those who think differently into submission. There are those of us who aren’t complete horses asses.
Obscure details? lol. True Graham fans know these things.

Lying again. U aint from Graham and it took u 10 hours to get some Graham info. For first time post man, ou spend lots of time tiddin and tattin with Grraham fans. Sounds like u got an agenda and u are 7 mile ford and ya hate Graham so git to steppin an go away back to Bristol

Dear Gridiron1960:
Dear 19GHS87:
Dear Hokie1Pokie:

I hope you realize how pathetic and stupid you all look for (1) trying to gatekeep the fandom of a high school football team by asking moronic questions about players’ nicknames from 40 years ago and (2) berating the hell out of 7MileFord.

First, I’m not 7MileFord, but he’s one of the few who’s acted like an adult in this exchange, so props to him. I’ve never had an account here before, or on SWVASports (though I am familiar with it and lurk from time to time as I did here), or on any other sports related forum. I created this account because several Graham fans (actual fans, unlike you) pointed out to me how boorish and immature so many of you were acting. I came on here to show that some of us are actually adults who contribute positively to society. I generally have much better things to do with my time than sit on anonymous forums and dream about the old days.

Second, you’re trying to test facts against a person who (1) knows that drunk referees are the reason Graham didn’t win the 1981 state championship (the season you all are so obsessed with); (2) knows that Kimbo Spencer was knocked out against Virginia High in 1983; and (3) knows that Ahmad Bradshaw scored the 3rd touchdown against Richlands on the road in 2001. I can go fact-for-fact with you on the history of my high school, and I would likely beat each of you. So you can stop chest thumping like a bunch of gorillas. Like Milton Berle, I only pull out enough to win.

I have you folks pegged. Every school has them, but Graham has them in excess. Those are the “fans” who are likely older Generation Xers who peaked in high school and are clinging to the high school they need far more than the high school needs them. Beta males who want so badly to be alpha males that they become keyboard warriors to protect and defend the last fiefdom they think they possess. People who are only in it for themselves, not the kids who actually put their healths at risk for 10+ weeks every fall.

You chaps can continue flinging feces at each other. This will be my last post here. Something about wrestling with pigs and them liking it. But I wanted to thank you for exposing who you really are to the fine folks in this forum and for being so dimwitted as to preserve the proof digitally for all eternity. Great job on representing my alma mater like a bunch of drug-riddled rednecks who scraped through high school with a D-.

-BDW (my initials, in case any of you fine gentlemen want to reveal my identity)
Such a nice fella, hate to see ya go and I scraped through with a D+ thank you very much!!

• Haha
Reactions: Gridiron1960
Agreed. They play with a pee wee offense and it got shut down today. They will be back with east mont soon and can go back to bragging about winning. It was evident to everyone they aren't on Radford, graham, or Appomattox level.
Riverheads would have beat Appomattox this year by multiple scores... You guys are being so unserious

I'm seeing lots of outrageous takes on here this morning. It's funny how all of a sudden Riverheads doesn't belong but they beat a Woodstock team who appeared in the State Final last year and returned all of their key players by 4 Touchdowns.

As for the Radford game, I believe the better team won. However it was not as lopsided as all of you are trying to make it seem. Riverheads moved the ball all day. I am not sure why people are acting as if Radford shut them down. A QUESTIONABLE turnover on downs and a fumble just before the half were the difference makers in this game. That along with RH having no answer for Landen Clark.

As for the comments about RH having a peewee offense and "only running 4 plays"... How many points did Grahams dynamic offense score against Radford??? Surely it was more than the peewee offense of Riverheads lol you guys are clowns. There are MAYBE three or four teams in 2A that would have a prayer of beating RH so say whatever you want, but you couldn't stop those "4 plays".

Last edited:
I'm seeing lots of outrageous takes on here this morning. It's funny how all of a sudden Riverheads doesn't belong but they beat a Woodstock team who appeared in the State Final last year and returned all of their key players by 4 Touchdowns.

As for the Radford game, I believe the better team won. However it was not as lopsided as all of you are trying to make it seem. Riverheads moved the ball all day. I am not sure why people are acting as if Radford shut them down. A QUESTIONABLE turnover on downs and a fumble just before the half were the difference makers in this game. That along with RH having no answer for Landen Clark.

As for the comments about RH having a peewee offense and "only running 4 plays"... There are MAYBE three or four teams in 2A that would have a prayer of beating RH so say whatever you want, but you couldn't stop those "4 plays".
Riverheads definitely belonged. They are very good at what they do and it is very difficult to stop. Good luck going forward. It'll be interesting to see how next year unfolds. I think Talbott is a very capable runner and I expect Riverheads to be in contention again.

How about them Cats. Congrats to Riverheads on a great season.

Real talk...Region Aand B must have been down this year making RH look dominate. I highly doubt RH could beat Glenvar Union, Graham, appomattox, etc. Matter of fact, not a chance
Riverheads will not win in D2 as long as they run that old time offense and stay one dimensional.

Bobcats!!
Try winning with class. Radford had an awesome team with a generational talent at QB

As for the comments about RH having a peewee offense and "only running 4 plays"... How many points did Grahams dynamic offense score against Radford??? Surely it was more than the peewee offense of Riverheads lol you guys are clowns. There are MAYBE three or four teams in 2A that would have a prayer of beating RH so say whatever you want, but you couldn't stop those "4 plays".
GMen had more yards against Radford than Riverheads and 2 dropped TD passes wide open receivers. Riverhead lost cauze no speed in secondary to cover speedy Radford receivers. Riverhead likes phone booth football and when they get outof the phone booth they have. truble. Gmen would take Riverhead down.Riverhead with 7 strate rings in 1A. They move up and now they aint got no rings. As long as they stay 2A, they aint gittin no rings down thar

GMen had more yards against Radford than Riverheads and 2 dropped TD passes wide open receivers. Riverhead lost cauze no speed in secondary to cover speedy Radford receivers. Riverhead likes phone booth football and when they get outof the phone booth they have. truble. Gmen would take Riverhead down.Riverhead with 7 strate rings in 1A. They move up and now they aint got no rings. As long as they stay 2A, they aint gittin no rings down thar
I watched both games. Riverheads had 300 yards vs radford. I dont have the box score but I wouldn't believe that Graham had 300. They also only scored 10 points so you'll have a hard time convincing me that they have the better offense. We don't know if the Gmen could take down Riverheads, but we do know that Riverheads played for the title while the Gmen watched from home.

Riverheads lost because of lack of speed in the secondary, sure. Graham lost because of their inability to run the football.

I watched both games. Riverheads had 300 yards vs radford. I dont have the box score but I wouldn't believe that Graham had 300. They also only scored 10 points so you'll have a hard time convincing me that they have the better offense. We don't know if the Gmen could take down Riverheads, but we do know that Riverheads played for the title while the Gmen watched from home.

Riverheads lost because of lack of speed in the secondary, sure. Graham lost because of their inability to run the football.
2 wide open dropped TD for Graham. 1 in the enzzone and one was a 60 yd wide open reciever in stride 7 yds ahead of closest defender. Riverhead dont lke passin teams. They lost cauze they couldn't stop Radford on O. Defense wins rings. Riverhead won't have a ring in 2A as long as staying up in here for 2A. Now that the boogy man has graduation Riverheads bout to turn for worse in 2A ball next yr

Graham lost cauze of 2 dropped wide open TD passes and 2 bad punts giving Radford a 35 yd field to work with. Even with the 2 bad punts, catch 2 wide open TD passes and Graham wins the game. The drops werent contesting with Bobcats defense. Nobody was around up in thar. Wide open. Just dropps. Graham beat Graham and that's the only team that can beat Graham at thiz point in 2A ball

Graham lost cauze of 2 dropped wide open TD passes and 2 bad punts giving Radford a 35 yd field to work with. Even with the 2 bad punts, catch 2 wide open TD passes and Graham wins the game. The drops werent contesting with Bobcats defense. Nobody was around up in thar. Wide open. Just dropps. Graham beat Graham and that's the only team that can beat Graham at thiz point in 2A ball
You could've just said Graham lost because they only scored 10 points. Takes less words

You could've just said Graham lost because they only scored 10 points. Takes less words
Naa, Graham lost cauze Graham beat Graham. Riverhead didn't have 2 wide open TD's dropped. Didn't have a chance. Was stop on 4th and 1 cauze they were in 4th and 1 many times cauze they can't throw a pass. Riverhead worries about convertin 4th and 1 and Graham had 2 wide open TD's dropped. Big different. Riverhead convert 4th and 1 and they gonna b in another 4th and 1 cauze they cant throw it. Sooner or later Radford would make a play on 4 and 1. Spred out Riverhead an panic sets in and its gonna happin in 2A ball every year for Riverhead preventin rings. Better get back to 1A where u can play phonebooth football

Naa, Graham lost cauze Graham beat Graham. Riverhead didn't have 2 wide open TD's dropped. Didn't have a chance. Was stop on 4th and 1 cauze they were in 4th and 1 many times cauze they can't throw a pass. Riverhead worries about convertin 4th and 1 and Graham had 2 wide open TD's dropped. Big different. Riverhead convert 4th and 1 and they gonna b in another 4th and 1 cauze they cant throw it. Sooner or later Radford would make a play on 4 and 1. Spred out Riverhead an panic sets in and its gonna happin in 2A ball every year for Riverhead preventin rings. Better get back to 1A where u can play phonebooth football
Radford beat Graham because Graham couldn't score more than ONE touchdown. Maybe if Graham could run the ball you wouldn't be on here saying what would have happened IF they caught the ball. Riverheads ended their game vs Radford with more yards, points & touchdowns than Grahams dynamic passing attack. Maybe yall should spend a little more time at practice on inside run instead of pass skelly.

Radford beat Graham because Graham couldn't score more than ONE touchdown. Maybe if Graham could run the ball you wouldn't be on here saying what would have happened IF they caught the ball. Riverheads ended their game vs Radford with more yards, points & touchdowns than Grahams dynamic passing attack. Maybe yall should spend a little more time at practice on inside run instead of pass skelly.
And then thar was defenze, which Riverhead can't play against a spred team that is good. Gonna get u everytime at the Class 2 level. Riverhead got poked up good our there trying to cover up on Radford receivers. then, Riverhead with 2 minutes left in game trying to go 90 yds. Now that was funny. Talkin bout panic. Graham passing game good and WR open, just a dropped ball. Riverhead needs to get down to 1A or you gonna lay down. Gonna be 1 or the other Either get down or lay down cauze u ain't gettin no rings up in here

And then thar was defenze, which Riverhead can't play against a spred team that is good. Gonna get u everytime at the Class 2 level. Riverhead got poked up good our there trying to cover up on Radford receivers. then, Riverhead with 2 minutes left in game trying to go 90 yds. Now that was funny. Talkin bout panic. Graham passing game good and WR open, just a dropped ball. Riverhead needs to get down to 1A or you gonna lay down. Gonna be 1 or the other Either get down or lay down cauze u ain't gettin no rings up in here
Yeah except nobody else in the state has a spread attack that's comparable to Radford. No not even you, Graham. Riverheads would have faired well on defense against 95% of spread teams in 2A. Radford is just on another level. Bottom line is your offense couldn't cut in the semi final!!!! Cope however you see fit. I would start by adding more inside run to the practice schedule.

Yeah except nobody else in the state has a spread attack that's comparable to Radford. No not even you, Graham. Riverheads would have faired well on defense against 95% of spread teams in 2A. Radford is just on another level. Bottom line is your offense couldn't cut in the semi final!!!! Cope however you see fit. I would start by adding more inside run to the practice schedule.
No Riverhead wouldn't do well against Graham or Union cauze u can't cover in the secondary. Riverheads already making xcuses about numbers after ending that 7 ring streak cauze you moved up. Nobody respects you cauze you asked em at VHL to let u play down in Class 1. We call that candy-azz, cowardish or yellow belly. That's why nobody likes you. Graham would have whipped ya like the yellow belly's u act like. U don't belong is 2A and u ain't getting rings, cauze somebody at sometime gonna spred u out come playoff time and u can't stop it. Ur lucky enough in East cauze nobody throws it around out ther. If in Region D and C this year, you don't win the region and don't make it past round 3. U ended up in finals be devault.

No Riverhead wouldn't do well against Graham or Union cauze u can't cover in the secondary. Riverheads already making xcuses about numbers after ending that 7 ring streak cauze you moved up. Nobody respects you cauze you asked em at VHL to let u play down in Class 1. We call that candy-azz, cowardish or yellow belly. That's why nobody likes you. Graham would have whipped ya like the yellow belly's u act like. U don't belong is 2A and u ain't getting rings, cauze somebody at sometime gonna spred u out come playoff time and u can't stop it. Ur lucky enough in East cauze nobody throws it around out ther. If in Region D and C this year, you don't win the region and don't make it past round 3. U ended up in finals be devault.
Region B is deeper than C & D..... C&D have more talent in the #1 seed but #1-6 in region B was better than any other region. You don't know what Graham would have done because they didn't make it. Better luck next year!!

Reactions: TS69
Region B is deeper than C & D..... C&D have more talent in the #1 seed but #1-6 in region B was better than any other region. You don't know what Graham would have done because they didn't make it. Better luck next year!!
Region B deeper than C and D? it's 1 thing to talk smack to 1 another but another to write up some no sense stuff. Region B ain't won a title in Class 2 in how long. How many titles from b in the last 30 years. Riverhead needs to get down or lay down. It's alredy not workin out in 2A and you lose your 2 ballers. Probably won't win ur region next year. When u drop back down, everybody up in here gonna laugh at ya again when you win that title in year 1. This is felled xperiment for Riverheads in 2A cuz.

Region B deeper than C and D? it's 1 thing to talk smack to 1 another but another to write up some no sense stuff. Region B ain't won a title in Class 2 in how long. How many titles from b in the last 30 years. Riverhead needs to get down or lay down. It's alredy not workin out in 2A and you lose your 2 ballers. Probably won't win ur region next year. When u drop back down, everybody up in here gonna laugh at ya again when you win that title in year 1. This is felled xperiment for Riverheads in 2A cuz.
To be clear I am not from Riverheads and yes Region B definitely has a case for deepest region in Class 2. The #6 seed finished 8-2. Region D didn't make the final this year, Region B did. Not much of what you have said on here has been credible so I wouldn't expect you to start making sense now. How many from Region B in the last 30 years?? Again you are proving your lack of knowledge as we just moved to the 4 region format 12 or 13 years ago. Clowns like you ruin this forum.

To be clear I am not from Riverheads and yes Region B definitely has a case for deepest region in Class 2. The #6 seed finished 8-2. Region D didn't make the final this year, Region B did. Not much of what you had said on here has been credible so I wouldn't expect you to start making sense now. How many from Region B in the last 30 years?? Again you are proving your lack of knowledge as we just moved to the 4 region format 12 or 13 years ago. Clowns like you ruin this forum.
No Region B is the 3rd deepest behind C and D. How many titles from the Valley in class 2 ball in the last 30 yrs. Answer the question cuz. No need 4 namecalls. Only knowledge lack is Riverhead thinkin they gettin rings in 2A cauze you ain't Yall gonna have to get down or lay down. Back to 1A shortly even though yall got 2A numberz and yall can start fillin good about yourselvz again

Rings aint comin eazy at this level cuz. Somebody better start doin sum 7 on 7's up in thar at Greenesville's and work on pass coverin this summer cauze u aint getting no rings without it

Rings aint comin eazy at this level cuz. Somebody better start doin sum 7 on 7's up in thar at Greenesville's and work on pass coverin this summer cauze u aint getting no rings without it
I would say that this years Riverheads team probably had their worst secondary and defensive ends in a long time. Just my opinion. They lost against a very good Staunton team a few years back that ran the spread and had a very talented QB who could run and throw.

Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
No Region B is the 3rd deepest behind C and D. How many titles from the Valley in class 2 ball in the last 30 yrs. Answer the question cuz. No need 4 namecalls. Only knowledge lack is Riverhead thinkin they gettin rings in 2A cauze you ain't Yall gonna have to get down or lay down. Back to 1A shortly even though yall got 2A numberz and yall can start fillin good about yourselvz again
I'm not from Riverheads or the Valley. Maybe everybody should start recruiting kids from West Virginia like yall do, or hire coaches who go live during games cursing and speaking with the vocabulary of a high school drop out. Then everyone would have a chance to score 10 points and lose in the semi final.

Region C #6 seed - Patrick County (5-5)
Region D #6 seed - Marion (5-5)
Region A #6 seed - Greensville (5-5)
Region B #6 seed - Clarke (8-2)

Region D wasn't the deepest just because your G men were in it. Every region besides B there were no more than 2 or 3 possible contenders.

No Region B is the 3rd deepest behind C and D. How many titles from the Valley in class 2 ball in the last 30 yrs. Answer the question cuz.
Madison lost to Powell Valley in ‘98 but beat Floyd Co. in ‘99 for their 3rd state title…there is part of your answer…I’ll let others speak on their teams for the passed 30 years…

Region B had 6 teams with legitimate chances to get to Salem this year. Central Woodstock, Strasburg, Buckingham (may have been the only team to match Radford’s athletes), Ft. Defiance, Clarke and Riverheads. I would not have been surprised if any of 5 of those teams made to the finals.

I said much earlier that teams like Riverheads and Clarke, though very good at what they do, would have a hard time winning it all because they would eventually have to play from behind and they just aren’t built for that.

I would have loved to see how Buckingham, Strasburg or Woodstock would have done in the finals.

Also in defense of Regions A/B, two years ago, King William was quite the worthy state champ. I understand that Graham was not fully heatlhy in that game, but Central Woodstock put up a much better fight than Graham did that year against the Cavs. KW beat Lafayette by 19 that year. Woodstock had probably the most complete team out of their contenders in recent years, they could sling the ball and had some insane offensive/defensive lines in 2021. This year it certainly seems like C/D were the stronger regions, but there were a lot of quality teams in B. Woodstock just fell into Riverheads gameplan head first and it became a disaster. I think that Glenvar/Appo and those tier schools were on a similar level as Clarke/Strasburg.

This season, here would be my "tiers"

C Radford

D Graham
B Riverheads

D Union
B Central
A Poquoson
C Glenvar

B Clarke County
C Appo
B Strasburg
A King William
D Tazewell

No region would completely dominate over the other, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Can we just close this topic already? It’s gone completely off the rails! Congratulations again to Radford for winning the 2A Championship and the Riverheads for making it to Salem! I look forward to next season and I’m sure we’ll see a lot of the same teams in the mix for their respective regions! There are several quality programs throughout our state.

Let’s look back a few years. Seems like Goochland won 2 titles and a runner up, Grenta won 2 and maybe 3 or 4 in that 30 year span, Wilson Memorial and Stuart’s Draft were runner ups as well as Harrisonburg and Turner Ashby had championships in what is now D3. Let’s face facts high school football goes in cycles. For years Gate City, old Powell Valley, and Appalachia were the benchmark schools. Oh by the way Buffalo Gap and William Campbell also won championships in D1 in that span. Spread or running offense or even odd defensive schemes is a coaches preference. So like I’ve often said, if you not working your biblical donkey off in preparation for the season and hopefully being one of the 12 schools playing in December, all fan base rhetoric is just that, a bunch of rhetoric or whatever you might want to label it. No dog in this verbal tic tac, just someone who spent 40 years coaching and getting the hell beat out of him from
age 8-21. 😂😂

Has anyone else noticed that “HokiePokie” structures his posts and spells his words just like that guy from Tidewater Timmy guy from “Poqouson” that tried causing problems earlier in the season? LOL

If you stick around long enough you’ll see it all

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT