ADVERTISEMENT

This Salem team will be remembered for long time

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
I've got to bring it up. This Salem team will be remembered for a long long time by the Salem faithful. They were not the most talented of Salem teams, they lost their first game of the season, and they lost their best athelete---- but the players picked up the slack and they continued to improve. They are State Champs

I've got to bring it up. This Salem team will be remembered for a long long time by the Salem faithful. They were not the most talented of Salem teams, they lost their first game of the season, and they lost their best athelete---- but the players picked up the slack and they continued to improve. They are State Champs
Biggest OL improvement I have seen from a Salem team from start to finish. It helped getting a great OL back from injury but technically they kept getting better and more physical. I finally got to see them go a little bit wider on their splits against Dinwiddie.

For any team, it just shows, that with heart, great preparation and a perfectly executed game, anything is possible. Never seen a more perfectly executed HS game and Salem needed every bit of that to beat the Generals. Then they actually did it. Amazing.

Congrats to Salem. Simply outstanding. For every Spartan on the field yesterday. May be as close to perfection as they will ever be in their lives.

Just a subtle reminder. None of this happens without Mags. Best to him also.

Last edited:
For any team, it just shows, that with heart, great preparation and a perfectly executed game, anything is possible. Never seen a more perfectly executed HS game and Salem needed every bit of that to beat the Generals. Then they actually did it. Amazing.

Congrats to Salem. Simply outstanding. For every Spartan on the field yesterday. May be as close to perfection as they will ever be in their lives.

Just a subtle reminder. None of this happens without Mags. Best to him also.
I agree about Mags, he seems to get the kinks out and bring it every year. Sslem also has discipline

Reactions: mike salem
Separating from the emotion of the game and thinking that I have saw all the state championships and they all were something special and also sometimes in the losses in the playoffs where the football did not bounce our way . That is the nature of the game and I do not want the Dinwiddie kids to think they are losers . One tipped pass here or there could have spelled doom for Salem but , I agree , a great effort. Before my time when the high school in Salem was Andrew Lewis they were a power then also.

1996 Victory stadium Salem 20-12 Kelly Washington was the real deal for Sherando later going to Tennessee and the NFL.
1998 Bridgewater Salem 28-18 over Lafayette a huge power team for Salem
1999 Salem 21-20 over Park View Sterling What a game . Salem hung around and hung around and made a couple of big plays in the passing game and Nic Schmitt was huge in the kicking game.
2000 Salem 17-10 over Park View sterling 6'2" 283 pound fullback Manuel Lewis was the difference and a great defense.
2004 16-14 over Harrisonburg in a game where Salem dominated the line of scrimmage but only put up 16 points.
2005 28-10 over Powhatan fumble city
2015 gritty gritty Salem team that somehow beat a great Lake Taylor team.
2016 Another grind it out win with a little more offense.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT