ADVERTISEMENT

Top Ten, Anyone?

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
In this crazy, mixed-up year, it's been challenging to keep track of which teams are doing what, exactly. Schedule disruptions - stay tuned, because there will be more to come! - have made it even more difficult. So cobbling together anything like an accurate top ten for the state is an even more daunting task than usual. That said, this is my attempt. Sheer guesswork, and just to generate (civil) discussion. Seems to be the usual suspects of the last several years.

1. Lake Taylor 2-0 Returning a good nucleus from last season's state champions, and posting a solid win over the defending Class 5 champs put the Titans out front by a significant margin.
2. Salem 3-0 Three no-sweat wins thus far for a senior-dominated Spartan team.
3. Patrick Henry (Ashland) 2-0 The Patriots stay in the mix following their impressive post-season run in 2019.
4. Tuscarora 2-0 The Huskies, along with Broad Run, seem to be light years ahead of the rest of Region C.
5. Broad Run 2-0 The Spartans have a huge opportunity this Friday against Tuscarora to avenge their lone, season-ending loss from 2019.
6. Churchland 2-0 Defense seems to be the Truckers' calling card, having yielded no points in their first two games.
7. Monacan 2-0 Off to another good start, is this the year the Chiefs get over the hump to make the state title game?
8. Pulaski County 3-0 The Cougars' defense, though not quite as dominant as last season's, is still good, and the offense appears to be a bit better.
9. Dinwiddie 1-1 The loss came against what appears to be a good Class 5 Prince George squad; the Generals then demolished Petersburg.
10. Louisa County 3-0 The Lions remain a factor in a deep Region B field.
11. Eastern View 3-0 Three close wins to this point for the Cyclones.

To have Monacan at #7 takes away a lot of creditability from this list. They beat the breaks off of Manchester (Class 5 contender) and toyed with Bird last Friday. Not saying they’re #1 but they have the most impressive wins in all of Class 4. Definitely a top 3 team in Class 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
To have Monacan at #7 takes away a lot of creditability from this list. They beat the breaks off of Manchester (Class 5 contender) and toyed with Bird last Friday. Not saying they’re #1 but they have the most impressive wins in all of Class 4. Definitely a top 3 team in Class 4.

Lake Taylor's win over Maury could have been their biggest victory of the whole year!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
@SpartanOfYore - nice list. I made a few changes but nothing crazy. Anyone else we are missing that deserves a harder look? Maybe one of the Suffolk class 4 teams? Not sure if they are participating in the post season though.

1. Lake Taylor - Maury win solidify's number one spot along with being defending state champions.
2. Salem - same old same old
3. Tuscarora - traditional power
4. Broad Run - traditional power
5. Monacan - Good start... let's see if it holds. Team is finding its identity and has plenty of room before hitting their celling.
6. Louisa - same old same old
7. Pulaski - not much insight but seem to be playing well
8. Dinwiddie - has a loss but a hell of a team in my view.
9. Patrick Henry Ashland - playing only Hanover county schools clouds my view
10. Eastern View - seem to be getting it together and closer to normalcy each week.
11. Churchland - could very well be higher... just is a newcomer tp this list and I need to see another game or two.
12. Courtland - I did think they would knock off EV

@SpartanOfYore - nice list. I made a few changes but nothing crazy. Anyone else we are missing that deserves a harder look? Maybe one of the Suffolk class 4 teams? Not sure if they are participating in the post season though.

1. Lake Taylor - Maury win solidify's number one spot along with being defending state champions.
5. Monacan - Good start... let's see if it holds. Team is finding its identity and has plenty of room before hitting their celling.
10. Eastern View - seem to be getting it together and closer to normalcy each week.
11. Churchland - could very well be higher... just is a newcomer tp this list and I need to see another game or two.

Thanks - back atchya. As I said, it’s just guesswork done for fun. Yeah, I know zippo about any other Region A teams that might be a factor. Salem and Pulaski seem to be separated from the crowd in Region D, but with no non-district games, it’s hard to say for sure. I was almost tempted to stick Jefferson Forest in at my number 12 spot, but they’ve only played one game and I think are now on a Covid pause.

I saw Matt’s top 10 from March 4, which I can no longer seem to find. I checked on all the games played by the teams in his top 10, and based mine from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1

Stop being so dang modest man 😂😂... We both know how tough Class 5 Region B is and for Monacan to knock off a top 3 contender in Manchester is HUGE. Manchester’s firepower > Maury’s firepower IMO.. Manchester has one of the biggest lines in the state of Virginia and Monacan DOMINATED them. Shut down a RB with 20 power 5 offers. Don’t give me any of that “good start stuff” LOL.. Y’all may be the best team in the 804.. Including the mighty Springers. REMEMBER, y’all made a lot of noise last year with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers with so many injuries. If you’re not going to brag on the Smoketree boys, I will. 804 Football is superior in all phases this year. PH Ashland, Dinwiddie, Monacan, Powhatan..

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Stop being so dang modest man 😂😂... We both know how tough Class 5 Region B is and for Monacan to knock off a top 3 contender in Manchester is HUGE. Manchester’s firepower > Maury’s firepower IMO.. Manchester has one of the biggest lines in the state of Virginia and Monacan DOMINATED them. Shut down a RB with 20 power 5 offers. Don’t give me any of that “good start stuff” LOL.. Y’all may be the best team in the 804.. Including the mighty Springers. REMEMBER, y’all made a lot of noise last year with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers with so many injuries. If you’re not going to brag on the Smoketree boys, I will. 804 Football is superior in all phases this year. PH Ashland, Dinwiddie, Monacan, Powhatan..

I don't know man... I certainly don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. Especially since our flame got put out a bit early for my liking the last 4 years. When we are talking about elite teams the regions matter less for a top 10. I agree on the schedule strengths but we are talking about teams with championship lineage all up and down that top 10. I couldn't in good conscious put us above the top 4 I named at this point. Also, and undefeated LT and Salem... just by law of nature and history have to be 1-2 no matter what.

You may have to go undefeated in B to make the playoffs. Certainly anything more than one loss is an elimination.
Questions for the other regions: Is it likely the same in the other regions or if you lose one or two can you still make it?

I don't know man... I certainly don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. Especially since our flame got put out a bit early for my liking the last 4 years. When we are talking about elite teams the regions matter less for a top 10. I agree on the schedule strengths but we are talking about teams with championship lineage all up and down that top 10. I couldn't in good conscious put us above the top 4 I named at this point. Also, and undefeated LT and Salem... just by law of nature and history have to be 1-2 no matter what.

You may have to go undefeated in B to make the playoffs. Certainly anything more than one loss is an elimination.
Questions for the other regions: Is it likely the same in the other regions or if you lose one or two can you still make it?

In Region D, five of the eight teams already have at least one loss. Jefferson Forest, Pulaski Co., and Salem remain undefeated. Salem and PC are scheduled to play each other, which means at least half of the four-team playoff field will have at least one loss.

What happens if a team misses half its schedule due to COVID concerns? If that team only plays three games and goes 3-0, does it get the nod over a team that played its entire schedule, goes 5-1, but just barely has a lower VHSL rating? I could see the possibility for some gaming of the system here. Let me be clear, I am not accusing any specific team of doing that. It just looks like the way the system is set up, the opportunity to take advantage of it exists.

I agree in a way but what has Tusky or Broad Run won? Broad Run hasn’t been relevant since Amherst has back in 2009. Yeah they had some good teams, but they haven’t sniffed a championship game since then. I’m not buying that either team are better than Dinwiddie or Monacan.. We saw Tusky get SMOKED by a Lake Taylor team who got smoked by two of the best teams in our part of the state last year. Monacan is on the same level as Varina last year as far as skill guys go, maybe a little better the way Hensley has been throwing the rock. Factor that in with all state caliber WR Pettis and the lines are improved. As I stated earlier, Monacan may be the best team in the 804.

I’m still not sure the Springers are this “mighty force” yet. They’ve shut out 2 0-2 teams. They DO have a plethora of talent,but that doesn’t mean the talent has good chemistry. The RB has “butter finger” issues,and I’m really not sold on EITHER QB. Their WR and OL are 2nd to none,but as I said....I’m not sure about the offensive chemistry. Now....that D....I’m not sure how to attack that! Good test coming Friday night,and GA playing for their playoff lives!

I’m still not sure the Springers are this “mighty force” yet. They’ve shut out 2 0-2 teams. They DO have a plethora of talent,but that doesn’t mean the talent has good chemistry. The RB has “butter finger” issues,and I’m really not sold on EITHER QB. Their WR and OL are 2nd to none,but as I said....I’m not sure about the offensive chemistry. Now....that D....I’m not sure how to attack that! Good test coming Friday night,and GA playing for their playoff lives!
Don’t you give me that either LOL.. Plenty of talent on 15 S Oak. I think Glen Allen will give you all a good test. GA is very physical and they have a few playmakers to make things interesting. Springers should win by 2 scores.

Don’t you give me that either LOL.. Plenty of talent on 15 S Oak. I think Glen Allen will give you all a good test. GA is very physical and they have a few playmakers to make things interesting. Springers should win by 2 scores.
I’m anxious to see if GA has made up the speed difference from the last time these 2 played. It was a glaring difference. Both have good talent and playmakers. Both play extremely physical. I want to see if HS can avoid that turnover bug!

Like the list. Tuscarora and Broad Run can go either way

I’m anxious to see if GA has made up the speed difference from the last time these 2 played. It was a glaring difference. Both have good talent and playmakers. Both play extremely physical. I want to see if HS can avoid that turnover bug!

I think Springs will win comfortably. But Glen Allen is a decent squad.

Reactions: SFUWO
Glen Allen has a really good defense but I believe their secondary is their weak link. HS should be able to spread them out.

Monacan and Dinwiddie may indeed be better than Broad Run or Tuscarora but since you asked what BR and Tusky have won since 2009 I figured I would look that up.

2010-2019 Broad Run (92-30)
Tusky (98-29)
Monacan (75-37)

If by winning something you are referring to state championships then you are correct. That would also make Stone Bridge irrelevant since their lone state championship was 2007.

Reactions: SFUWO
Monacan and Dinwiddie may indeed be better than Broad Run or Tuscarora but since you asked what BR and Tusky have won since 2009 I figured I would look that up.

Tusky (98-29)
Monacan (75-37)

If by winning something you are referring to state championships then you are correct. That would also make Stone Bridge irrelevant since their lone state championship was 2007.
We’re talking this year. What they’ve done in the past means nothing. Mbonape1 said that their history was the reason he ranked them higher than Monacan, I don’t agree with at all but I honor his opinion cause he knows his stuff. At the end of the day, over that time period both Tusky and Broad Run has the same thing Monacan, Louisa, Eastern View, the Dallas Cowboys, Virginia Tech, & Patrick & Carroll County have..0 championship trophies. Salem and LT are always 1 or 2 cause they produce and win the big game. Nobody ever remembers 2nd or 3rd or 4th or (you get my drift) place...

Then your opinion is based on the two game performance that has taken place this year and by that logic we can’t assume that Salem or Lake Taylor or Dinwiddie are better than BR, Tusky, Monocan, Louisa etc.....

Last edited:

Tusky (98-29)
Monacan (75-37)

Tusky with 3 state Finals appearances 2 in Div 5 (L.C. Bird, Highland Springs and Lake Taylor) since 2014. Broad Run has done well in the regular season but lose to a team they beat during the regular season. Ex Stone Bride and Tusky.

Reactions: bceagle47
I do think most of the Top 8-10 teams are somewhat interchangeable week to week if you really think about it. The thing that strikes me about programs like Tusky and Stone Bridge (Class 5) is the yearly consistency. Tusky is only now in their 11th season of football and just reached 100 wins with 3 State Finals appearances in tow. Stone Bridge was the fastest team in the storied history of Virginia high school football to reach 200 wins a few years back. They carry 9 State Finals appearances in only 20 seasons and a 83% win ratio since the program first launched. These 2 programs, while still young in comparison, have launched consistent output....much like Salem, Dinwiddie or Lake Taylor.

[/QUOTE]
Then your opinion is based on the two game performance that has taken place this year and by that logic we can’t assume that Salem or Lake Taylor or Dinwiddie are better than BR, Tusky, Monocan, Louisa etc.....
I mean yeah... We’re talking about rankings for this season, not something somebody did last year or previous. Tusky and Broad Run hasn’t played anybody, Monacan knocked off two good football teams. Blasted a contender in Class 5 (Region B; home of 8 state championship winning teams in the past 8 years).

Monacan looks the part so far. It’s great to see these programs showcasing what they have. Really good coaching and D-1 athletes dotting these rosters all over the state.

That’s fair. I agree that all that matters is what happens this year and when you mentioned Broad Run’s last state championship year and Tusky’s loss to LT so you contradicted your position. Lake Taylor and Salem are the favorites and I have yet to see Monacan or Dinwiddie so I can’t comment on them but, I am sure they are tough.

That’s fair. I agree that all that matters is what happens this year and when you mentioned Broad Run’s last state championship year and Tusky’s loss to LT so you contradicted your position. Lake Taylor and Salem are the favorites and I have yet to see Monacan or Dinwiddie so I can’t comment on them but, I am sure they are tough.
No, read my above statement. He said historically... HISTORICALLY. I asked what has either team won and then I brought up last year’s score... Since you want to bring the past up though, the 804 beat those NoVa teams in the ship.. SIX STRAIGHT YEARS. In order to be the man, you have to beat the man.

I do think most of the Top 8-10 teams are somewhat interchangeable week to week if you really think about it. The thing that strikes me about programs like Tusky and Stone Bridge (Class 5) is the yearly consistency. Tusky is only now in their 11th season of football and just reached 100 wins with 3 State Finals appearances in tow. Stone Bridge was the fastest team in the storied history of Virginia high school football to reach 200 wins a few years back. They carry 9 State Finals appearances in only 20 seasons and a 83% win ratio since the program first launched. These 2 programs, while still young in comparison, have launched consistent output....much like Salem, Dinwiddie or Lake Taylor.

Speaking of Stone Bridge - the Bulldogs have managed to win at least one playoff game in eighteen consecutive seasons. That has to be a state record. And in fourteen of those eighteen seasons, Stone Bridge won two or more playoff games. I have tons of respect for what that program has achieved.

It’s all good buddy. I have tons of respect for all the teams around the state that are always in the mix. Great coaches, great players, and great communities. If you left it with Monacan and Dinwiddie are better in your opinion I wouldn’t have said a word. It will all be settled on the football field anyway and we can celebrate their success. No one up here is crying because they lost to fantastic teams like Lake Taylor, Highland Springs, or Maury. They were better. Let’s see what happens this year.

All we can do is speculate on any of this stuff. Nobody really knows. One thing I will say about Monacan- our program was a losing program where “5 wins” was a great year for about 10-12 years straight. We started to really turn the corner in 2013. Proud of where we are but sure would like to hoist a trophy or two sooner than later. Granted, we lost to some really good teams in the playoffs. Dinwiddie 3x, Louisa 2017, and the infamous blocked-field-goal-scoop-and -score-walk-off game against a Nationally ranked Lake Tailor team in 2014. We are pretty good at basketball too. Don’t get me wrong... I love me some hoops, but nothing quite hits like that Gridiron trophy 🏆

LT and Salem at 1-2 is not debatable with the history and only 2-3 games played. The top 4 are the top four unless they lose In my view. 5-10 is debatable. Louisa could easily be number 5. Their TB is really good. 4B could have 4 undefeated teams again... The crazy thing is, I believe in a 10 game schedule 3 would still be undefeated. I think PHA would lose to HSHS if they had their normal schedule. Don’t forget Dinwiddie had bad luck in that PG game. They had a bunch of people out. PG basically had 2 walk off touchdown 2 weeks in a row vs Dinwiddie and Matoaca. If Dinwiddie can sneak into the playoffs they could win B also. They need to handle business first with Motoaca, Thomas Dale, and Hopewell first which is a tough road.

this thread is GREAT!!! You all are respectful & and true football fans. I wish the Class 5 & 6 fans followed their teams as faithfully as you all do! I just wish, like everyone else does that this was a full 10 game season! it's all going to go too fast for us!!!

this thread is GREAT!!! You all are respectful & and true football fans. I wish the Class 5 & 6 fans followed their teams as faithfully as you all do! I just wish, like everyone else does that this was a full 10 game season! it's all going to go too fast for us!!!

“...it's all going to go too fast for us!!!”

You said it! In a span of just eleven days, Salem’s season went from “not yet begun” to “already halfway through.” I’m just keeping fingers and toes crossed that all teams, especially those in contention, are able to complete their schedules.

It’s all good buddy. I have tons of respect for all the teams around the state that are always in the mix. Great coaches, great players, and great communities. If you left it with Monacan and Dinwiddie are better in your opinion I wouldn’t have said a word. It will all be settled on the football field anyway and we can celebrate their success. No one up here is crying because they lost to fantastic teams like Lake Taylor, Highland Springs, or Maury. They were better. Let’s see what happens this year.
I’m just talking smack! Not many 804 fans on the Class 4 board. Much respect to Tusky, Broad Run and Stone Bridge as they are great programs. Stone Bridge has been in some battles with some historic teams in the 804/757 (Maury last year). That 2018 Highland Springs team was probably the best high school team I’ve ever seen and Stone Bridge gave them a game. Same with Tusky when they almost upset that loaded Bird team in 2014. I’m just stirring the pot a little bit.

Reactions: bceagle47
Honestly, I think the football in the state at the upper end of the Class 4, 5, and 6 levels is as strong as ever. Saturday and, yes, a decent amount of Sunday players roaming the fields in VA. Unfortunately the gap between the upper tier teams and those struggling to keep their programs relevant appears to be widening. Wouldn’t you guys love a 32 team round robin single elimination tourney (somehow get a snapshot of the Top 32 regardless of Class) and let them pop pads for 6 weeks?

The smaller schools could hang around until injuries creep in. Depth issues start in Div 4 and become more noticeable in the lower div. More two way players.

Salem, Dinwiddie, Monacan, LT, Broad Run and Tusky would give just about anyone in 5A a good run this year. Highland Springs? Probably a bad match up for most in Class 4 (Maury/Varina vs. LT last year is a good example). I think Class 4 is stronger than any classification as a whole this year (even though Region D is a one man show).

Honestly, I think the football in the state at the upper end of the Class 4, 5, and 6 levels is as strong as ever. Saturday and, yes, a decent amount of Sunday players roaming the fields in VA. Unfortunately the gap between the upper tier teams and those struggling to keep their programs relevant appears to be widening. Wouldn’t you guys love a 32 team round robin single elimination tourney (somehow get a snapshot of the Top 32 regardless of Class) and let them pop pads for 6 weeks?

I do think a Small School title (classes 1-3) and a Large School title (4-6) would be very cool.

I do think a Small School title (classes 1-3) and a Large School title (4-6) would be very cool.
I don’t know, the enrollment differences are huge to be really competitive with that large a grouping.

Agreed, but figured the best teams within 4-6 are the most likely to be able to compete with each other. I wouldn’t want this in place of class state titles, but would be a fun addition to them. Obviously, just a pipe dream.

It would be fun for sure. Give me your four #1 seeds? Highland Springs with the overall #1 seed I would guess in most brackets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT