ADVERTISEMENT

Unofficial Ratings through week 4

gladiators01

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 27, 2010
Just for fun here is an early look at unofficial ratings through week 4.
Copied/paste west standings from SWVA message board.

EAST
1. Riverheads(3-0) 21.33333
2. Luray(3-0) 20.00000
3. Northumberland(3-0) 19.33333
4. Sussex(3-0) 18.66667
4. Franklin(3-0) 18.66667
6. Altavista(3-1)18.25000
7. Lunenburg(3-1) 15.75000
8. Lancaster(2-1) 14.33333
8. Surry(2-1) 14.33333
10.Essex(1-3) 14.00000
11.West Point(2-2)12.75000
12.Northampton(2-2) 11.75000
13.William Campbell(1-2) 11.33333
14.Colonial Beach(1-2) 10.66667
15.Charles City(1-3) 10.50000
16.Rappahannock(1-3) 10.00000
17.Middlesex(1-2) 9.66667
18.Mathews(1-3) 9.25000
19.Stonewall Jackson(0-3) 8.00000
20.Windsor(0-3) 7.33333
21.King & Queen(0-3) 6.00000

WEST
1. Galax 20.5
2. Patrick Henry 18.66667
3. Hurley 18
4. George Wythe 17
5. Chilhowie 16.5
6. (tie) Narrows 15.75
6. (tie) Parry McCluer 15.75
8. Fort Chiswell 15
9. Rural Retreat 14
10. Covington 13.5
11. Bland County 13.33333
12. Castlewood 13.25
13. Twin Springs 12
14. (tie) Bath County 11.25
14. (tie) Honaker 11.25
16. J. I. Burton 10.75
17. Twin Valley 10.25
18. Auburn 10
19. (tie) Northwood 9.5
19. (tie) Thomas Walker 9.5
21. Radford 9.25
22. Eastern Montgomery 8.5
23. Eastside 7.75
24. Holston 7
25. Rye Cove 5.66667
26. Craig County 5.25

Reactions: stubbie46
Thanks for posting the early numbers, gladiators01. Fun to see.

After GW's big loss at home to the likes of Galax (which was not that surprising to me with Galax having defeated Essex last year) it would seem that Galax should be #1 in Va. Maybe.

I would have Riverheads as #1 as they may have the better team (West folks could tell us more about talent levels between Riverheads, Galax, and GW).

Galax would be #2. These guys have an awesome coach. How he used the Spurlin and Harris kids last year was awesome. I think they graduated and he still wins big games. He may be able to defeat Castro again, maybe....if it comes to that.

Sussex # 3. They are said to be quite good.

Who should be 4 and 5?

Essex may be end up being 1-4 to start the season. Didn't Galax start 1-4 or something last season before winning it all? Of course, that is a rare thing the run that Galax went on after a tough early start with a difficult schedule.

Galax is 1 and Riverheads is 2 until they lose. Galax is the defending state champ, so the "polls" should reflect that. The points shown here are a little different because of the classification of the schools played as I am sure you already know. Essex has out pointed teams to death with the schedule they play for a few years. Deservedly so I might add. I really don't see an undefeated season for us unless we clean up some things. I can't speak for Galax but the GW win was impressive in several ways. I think there are a handful of teams that can get on a roll and win it all. That said, I personally do not see a hands down, dominate, undefeated team winning 1A. These are just my opinions and for the record I am wrong more often than right, lol.

Thanks for posting the early numbers, gladiators01. Fun to see.

After GW's big loss at home to the likes of Galax (which was not that surprising to me with Galax having defeated Essex last year) it would seem that Galax should be #1 in Va. Maybe.

I would have Riverheads as #1 as they may have the better team (West folks could tell us more about talent levels between Riverheads, Galax, and GW).

Galax would be #2. These guys have an awesome coach. How he used the Spurlin and Harris kids last year was awesome. I think they graduated and he still wins big games. He may be able to defeat Castro again, maybe....if it comes to that.

Sussex # 3. They are said to be quite good.

Who should be 4 and 5?

Essex may be end up being 1-4 to start the season. Didn't Galax start 1-4 or something last season before winning it all? Of course, that is a rare thing the run that Galax went on after a tough early start with a difficult schedule.
Sussex and Franklin play each other in two or three weeks from Friday that will settle who should be 3 and 4

Red Pride, I agree with you that Galax should be 1 and Riverheads 2 in the polls based on last years results.

I just wonder if Riverheads has the better overall talented team this season. I have not seen them just read a little.

Woodlayer- I believe that you hail from the Tri-Rivers area, if so, do you think that Franklin can and will challenge Sussex (and later the top teams from the old Northern Neck. I know both teams have already defeated CB).

I would say we lost some speed with Diehl graduating but we have some underclassmen that have stepped up nicely. We haven't played a complete game yet but this past Friday looked better after the bye week.

I am curious about Sussex/Franklin in a few weeks as I think they will control their own destiny to a certain degree.

I still think Essex will make a run and Altavista has played pretty well so far from the east.

I gotta say I don't know much about any of the west teams except GW/Galax from afar and PM due to friends. Hurley seems to be making a case for themselves so they will be heard from. Thing is a team like Narrows playing a decent game against a perrennial playoff team in Giles could gain that edge that lets them know they can compete with anyone. Every long run of success starts somewhere and seems to just gain momentum. God I love this game.......

My best guess would be Sussex rolls Franklin. I am more interested to see how Sussex matches up with some of the stiffer competition left on their schedule. Franklin will end the regular season with 4 losses. What do you think woodlayer???

Franklin having Park View this week is going to be a true test. Surry is going to give you all they have, even though Franklin can beat them. Then they face Brunswick, Sussex, Greensville, Windsor and Southampton to finish off the year. With those bigger schools in the mix for the Tri Rivers, it gives everyone a true test.

My best guess would be Sussex rolls Franklin. I am more interested to see how Sussex matches up with some of the stiffer competition left on their schedule. Franklin will end the regular season with 4 losses. What do you think woodlayer???
I don't know they are unpredictable they are just getting started the have the athletes to go all the way they haven't had the size that they have in the backfield this year since 2004 Danielle Babb era. they also have a 6' 4" 240lb quarterback that can move and the passing game is better than people expect there defense will make or break their season but I got a feeling this is going to be a good year for franklin they will fly under the radar. They played 3 games in a seven day span so you can't really judge them accurately on these first three games. Only time will tell

Danielle Babb was a bad man. If Franklin can beat some of those bigger schools, they will host a couple playoff games and that will be a fun place to be!

Danielle Babb was a bad man. If Franklin can beat some of those bigger schools, they will host a couple playoff games and that will be a fun place to be!
Franklin should not have a problem winning out if they stay focus an play to their potential and take one game at a time. Southampton is our rival so they will play us hard plus they have the old coach back. I think Greensville and Brunswick are having a down year this season, Surry is good but if they don't wrap up and finish tackles franklin will run through them, Windsor has no chance against franklin, the only Sussex and Park View will be tough outs but coach parker will have our boys right. Yes Danielle Babb was a freak of nature my junior year he was in the eight grade lifting weights with us he was benching 315lb multiple time in the eight grade.

Red Pride, I agree with you that Galax should be 1 and Riverheads 2 in the polls based on last years results.

I just wonder if Riverheads has the better overall talented team this season. I have not seen them just read a little.

Woodlayer- I believe that you hail from the Tri-Rivers area, if so, do you think that Franklin can and will challenge Sussex (and later the top teams from the old Northern Neck. I know both teams have already defeated CB).

This isn't a poll. These are the power point ratings as of now.

I was replying back to uvacavs1. I understand it's the power points but was just pointing out that my opinion if there was a poll, would have Galax as number 1 overall until or if they get beaten. Way too much football to worry much about these numbers yet. We have a slugfest with Luray coming up this week that will tell us a lot about where we are.

Franklin should not have a problem winning out if they stay focus an play to their potential and take one game at a time. Southampton is our rival so they will play us hard plus they have the old coach back. I think Greensville and Brunswick are having a down year this season, Surry is good but if they don't wrap up and finish tackles franklin will run through them, Windsor has no chance against franklin, the only Sussex and Park View will be tough outs but coach parker will have our boys right. Yes Danielle Babb was a freak of nature my junior year he was in the eight grade lifting weights with us he was benching 315lb multiple time in the eight grade.
Franklin is solid. Not winning out though.

Babb was a freak of nature indeed. I remember playing against Franklin my senior and he ran all over us lol. And the year before Ajamont Rose from Sussex Central 2003

This isn't a poll. These are the power point ratings as of now.

My apologies if my post was confusing.

Riverheads is the current #1 rated team in the East according to their Power Points accumulated so far. Galax is the current #1 rated team in the West according to their PP so far.

In a statewide poll (East & West) such as from Va Preps or some other poll, Galax would most likely now be #1 since they defeated GW plus are the undefeated defending state champs. They deserve it if that is included in the criteria. Heck, Coach Dixon's club may win it again.

However, it is just my opinion that Riverheads currently is the best overall team and should the #1 in the state. I certainly could be wrong. We were just discussing who should be 1 or 2 in the next top 10 poll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT