ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Hoops Top Tens - First Edition for 2020-21

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
So far, a total of 40 programs have opted out of winter sports - recognizable schools that have hoisted State Championships in recent years like Henrico, John Marshall and Varina out of the Richmond area alone. More are sure to be coming. However, for now, we will be ranking the ones that have not pulled the plug yet as the season commences today.
Class 2 Top Ten:
1. East Rockingham
2. Radford
3. Dan River
4. Union
5. Floyd County
6. Martinsville
7. Graham
8. James River-Buchanan
9. Gate City
10. Richlands

Opt Out:
1. John Marshall
6. Brunswick

Honorable Mention:
Glenvar
Lebanon
Staunton
Page County
King William
Poquoson

Matthew Hatfield serves as Publisher for VirginiaPreps.com, part of the Rivals.com Network, and is a regular contributor to the ACC Sports Journal. Check out Hatfield’s Twitter page for more sports related updates, and you can also read his work in the Suffolk News Herald. To contact Matthew, please e-mail hatfieldsports2k4@yahoo.com, and don’t forget to listen to him from 10 AM to Noon on 757 Saturday Sports Talk on ESPN Radio 94.1.

Last edited:
I’m confused..I saw on Twitter that John Marshall played in a tournament in South Carolina this past weekend, but they’ve opted out of the VHSL? Can someone clarify?

Buckingham should have been mentioned as Opted Out and why no Stuarts Draft? Believe they return 9- 10 players from a state team and was tied with East Rock in the 4th quarter last year.

Buckingham should have been mentioned as Opted Out and why no Stuarts Draft? Believe they return 9- 10 players from a state team and was tied with East Rock in the 4th quarter last year.
New coach at Stuarts draft and not sure if they will continue to play the same style or go back to a more traditional style of play.

Graham is looking pretty solid this year. Region D will come down to them and Union if I were to take a guess at this point.

Can someone list the 2A teams not playing this season? Are any of the 2A schools in Region A playing?

New coach at Stuarts draft and not sure if they will continue to play the same style or go back to a more traditional style of play.
I read a story when the new coach was named and it said he did not plan on using The System. But that was a while back.

Can someone list the 2A teams not playing this season? Are any of the 2A schools in Region A playing?

All of the teams listed as playing/ not playing are in the thread by EPJr just below:

(It’s the last message in the thread)

2020-21 Winter Sports

Don't sleep on Union. Big W over Abingdon today by 12, remaining undefeated in M7 with only loss a one possession loss to Science Hill in a game they led most of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT