Fantasy Game Highland Springs vs Westfield

• Highland Springs

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Westfield

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who wins?
To be honest, this would be the game of the decade. Similar to the early 2000's Hampton vs Phoebus at Darling Stadium(best game I ever witnessed). I think the kids from NOVA don't experience the speed/athleticism and out right toughness that they see year in and year out from the central VA/tidewater teams. That being said..

The boardline cocky/confidence from them Springer boys is tough to match and be ready to be punched in the mouth and be told about it too for 4QTRS. Westfield would be more fundamentally sound team and consistent across all aspects IMO but...

2OT HSHS 36-30

At this point I'm almost completely sure Nobody in VA want's the Smoke coming from HHS... There is no reason we shouldn't be getting these match ups during the regular season. I think teams are avoiding Highland Springs IMO!!!

At this point I'm almost completely sure Nobody in VA want's the Smoke coming from HHS... There is no reason we shouldn't be getting these match ups during the regular season. I think teams are avoiding Highland Springs IMO!!!
HSHS contacted Westfield for a home and home 2 yr matchup. They declined. I think the travel from NOVA to RVA on a Friday is the issue.
My question is why not on Saturday?
I think we have filled 1 of our open dates next year with Manchester. Not 100% sure, but I've heard from a MHS person of note, that it's a done deal. We'll see!

HSHS contacted Westfield for a home and home 2 yr matchup. They declined. I think the travel from NOVA to RVA on a Friday is the issue.
My question is why not on Saturday?
I think we have filled 1 of our open dates next year with Manchester. Not 100% sure, but I've heard from a MHS person of note, that it's a done deal. We'll see!
I can confirm that one issue is the travel down the I-95 corridor. Saturday is not optimal, and I think this goes for most coaches, because it interrupts the routine weekly preparation that most teams follow. Being honest, playing such a game is fantastic for the fans but in terms of preparing your team for the playoffs it could have far greater negative impacts than positive (e.g., seeding and home field if you lose). Then there is the aspect of do you always know what you will have down the road? Predicting what your team will be like in two years, although not impossible, is certainly a semi-guess when dealing with the physical and football development of 14-15 years olds into 16-17 year old players (as well as the numerous issues that can arise just because they are kids). Some will say that for those two programs it isn't that critical, but I argue that given the extremely high standards and performance of these two programs that has to be a consideration. Personally, I would love to see more games like this but there are some hurdles to overcome, realistic or perceived.

To be honest, this would be the game of the decade. Similar to the early 2000's Hampton vs Phoebus at Darling Stadium(best game I ever witnessed). I think the kids from NOVA don't experience the speed/athleticism and out right toughness that they see year in and year out from the central VA/tidewater teams. That being said..

The boardline cocky/confidence from them Springer boys is tough to match and be ready to be punched in the mouth and be told about it too for 4QTRS. Westfield would be more fundamentally sound team and consistent across all aspects IMO but...

2OT HSHS 36-30

For some reason Highland Springs hasn't received much if any National ranking recognition despite likely being the top team in VA in the last 3-4 years. And games against top in state & out of state would allow for the them to get noticed.

I think the issue for Westfield is that with their current preseason scrimmages, they get to test themselves without the risk of having a loss recorded.

These days it's hard enough to get a decent crowd out to a road game on a Friday night even when it's only a 30-40 minute drive. It might be exciting to some but I don't think you would see a lot of fans, parents and kids travel to Richmond for a regular season game against a non-rival school.

I think the past several years Westfield was certainly capable of winning a match-up with Highland Springs. I don't have that feeling this year. At least not yet.

I honestly don't believe that Westfield wants that game. Yeah it is a bear on 95 South or North but it can be done. If they want to play the game all they would have to do is schedule it.

Westfield's been a power for 15 years and I don't think they've ever scheduled a non-local opponent in that time. Hard to argue with what works.

WCAC/MIAA/St. Frances have a lot of dates to fill on their schedules and are willing to play teams from all over the place. Playing some of those schools would certainly get HS on the map in terms of national rankings.

Westfield's been a power for 15 years and I don't think they've ever scheduled a non-local opponent in that time. Hard to argue with what works.

WCAC/MIAA/St. Frances have a lot of dates to fill on their schedules and are willing to play teams from all over the place. Playing some of those schools would certainly get HS on the map in terms of national rankings.
I think they've got it figured out now.

For some reason Highland Springs hasn't received much if any National ranking recognition despite likely being the top team in VA in the last 3-4 years. And games against top in state & out of state would allow for the them to get noticed.

I think the issue for Westfield is that with their current preseason scrimmages, they get to test themselves without the risk of having a loss recorded.
They did the same thing to L.C. Bird when they were stacked. The people who do the National rankings either don't know what they're doing, are biased or have some ulterior motives. Private schools probably grease their palms in some way or another.

Reactions: Vsu95
They did the same thing to L.C. Bird when they were stacked. The people who do the National rankings either don't know what they're doing, are biased or have some ulterior motives. Private schools probably grease their palms in some way or another.
I've seen HS and Westfield get some recognition in top 100 polls this year, but without multiple top recruits or oos games, I'm sure a lot of talented publics from states that aren't considered football hotbeds are overlooked in the rankings. That being said, a lot of those highly ranked privates are legit and would overwhelm most publics.

Reactions: falcettik
I've seen HS and Westfield get some recognition in top 100 polls this year, but without multiple top recruits or oos games, I'm sure a lot of talented publics from states that aren't considered football hotbeds are overlooked in the rankings. That being said, a lot of those highly ranked privates are legit and would overwhelm most publics.
Every kid for HS will play on the next level. Every one.

Reactions: Vsu95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT