ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield 15 Stone Bridge 9

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
This was not your usual game for either team, as they are both used to scoring. Both defenses played well, with Westfield's coming up big when the game was on the line to seal a win in a low scoring game.

Westfield took the opening kickoff and quickly marched down the field not with the run, but with 4-5 straight passes. They reached the SB 21, but were intercepted in the end zone by Kuzbel. The teams then traded punts for their next two possessions each, as neither could sustain a drive. In the middle of the 2nd quarter SB drove deep into WF territory and faced a 4th and 3 at the WF 22, but completed a short jump pass to keep the drive alive. They were able to get only a few more yards and settled for a 32 yard FG, 3-0 SB. Both teams punted on their next possessions, then WF ran out the half after being pinned deep in their own territory by a SB punt. 3-0 SB at the half.

SB got the ball to begin the 2nd half and was pinned deep in their own half of the field, but a roughing the kicker penalty kept the drive alive and they began to drive the field. Twice facing a 4th down (4th and 3 at the WF 40 yard line and 4th and 5 at the WF 9 yard line) they converted the first time but elected to try a FG the second time. The 30 yard FG try from the 20 yard line was blocked by WF and returned by Caron 80 yards for a TD, WF 7-3 with 5:11 remaining in the 3rd quarter. SB got the ball back but faced another 4th down near midfield. This time they were stopped just short and WF took over near midfield. A few plays later WF tried a lateral pass that was fumbled and SB recovered just inside their own territory. After a 39 yard pass to Frye, SB was deep in WF territory again but eventually faced another 4th down (4th and 6 from the WF 9). Again they converted, with Thompson hitting Frye for the 9 yard TD pass. The XP was missed wide left, 9-7 SB with 10:33 left in the game. The two teams traded punts again, with WF's next possession beginning on the WF 39 yard line. They began driving the ball successfully with Gray carrying, but the big play of the drive was a 39 yard Scoville to Barrow completion to get inside the SB 25. Gray took several carries then scored on a 3 yard run. WF attempted a 2 point conversion pass that was incomplete, but a defensive holding call gave them another shot. Gary then reached the endzone for the 2XP and the score was 15-9, WF with 5:38 to go. SB immediately responded and drove down the field, aided by a huge defensive pass interference call near midfield, and reached the WF 24 where they faced yet another 4th down, 4th and 3. The WF defense stuffed the run at the line of scrimmage and then the offense ran out the clock to give WF a very big win.

This post was edited on 10/3 1:04 PM by falcettik

This was a battle in the trenches no doubt. Westfield looked undersized compared to SB but they held their own. Stalling that last drive was big - considering WF had a few of their top LB's banged up by that point.

BTW, I think it was Barrow who had the catch and run on the scoring drive.

Stone Bridge had found some holes in the Westfield defense (they were wearing them down) but went to the passing game for that last drive. Time was probably a factor but I always wonder why coaches/teams seem to do that at all levels of football.

The biggest play on that drive was a passing play (15 yard PI call against WF). Takes a long time to drive 80 yards when you are averaging (188 yds / 49 carries) 3.8 yards per carry.

Unsung hero for Westfield this year is their kicker Delaney - he's been putting the ball into or through the end zone on nearly every kick-off (well, not the one Alexander returned for a TD in the Lake Braddock game).

Really impressive when you consider that one of Delaney's kickoffs from the 25 yard line was caught by Stone Bridge at his 6 yard line. Most likely the reason that he is rated number 1 for his class (2017) in the nation (Kohl's)… will see him in some major college and hopefully in the NFL someday ….

You seem to know as much about this team as anyone... who are Westfield's DL# 74 and 77? Do not recall seeing those numbers before and not listed on the roster. I thought 74 played an outstanding game for WF.

I really don't know that many of the players, outside of the big names and a few other kids whose parents I see and speak with at games. Neither 74 or 77 is on the varsity roster posted on line (the only roster I know of) but there is a 74 on the JV roster, Tristan Davis, Soph, so maybe he was moved up.

I have followed the team very closely since 2001 and go to every game and scrimmage, Fr, JV, and varsity, unless the occasional business trip keeps me away. But I am by no means an expert-just a dedicated fan.

How are you connected to the program? I have probably seen you (and BluFan) but have no idea who you are.

Just a life-long high school football fan. Usually go to Westfield games because they are closest for me but also go to Chantilly and Centreville games. Or occasional random other games. Work near Ashburn so decided to hop over to the Stone Bridge game after work.

FWIW, #74 is Brandon Flores-Lopez (formerly #92) and #77 is Chris Leo (formerly #91). Seems there was a mid-season number change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT