ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield 19 Centreville 14

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
I know many of you can view the games on line but I may keep writing up these short summaries none the less. This is all written from cryptic notes on a 3x5 card, so if I am off slightly from the game film (or incorrectly name a player) I apologize.

In this rivalry game that was a must win for WF in terms of a playoff berth and extremely important to CV's playoff chances, Centreville's offense was able to move the ball fairly well but the Westfield defense made several very key plays that were the difference in this game.

CV took the opening KO at their 22 yard line and punted after three plays from their own 18 yard line. On the punt, WF's Yaokouame broke through and blocked Ragano's punt sending the ball high in the air and it bounced very near the back of the end zone where it was recovered by WF's Vines. The refs ruled the ball had touched the line and the play was ruled a safety, 2-0 WF, 10:08 remaining in the first quarter. Taking the kick, WF got a good KOR and started at the CV 38 yard line. Facing 4th and 3 at the Centreville 31, WF's Richards got 6 yards on a run and the drive continued. Legall would run it in from 9 yards out and after a bad snap on the XP, WF's Toveil picked up the snap and ran it in for two and the lead was extended to 10-0 with 7:42 remaining in the first. CV then marched 75 yards, including a 17 yard Shields run on 4th and 2 to cut the lead to 10-7 at the 2:19 mark of the first quarter. WF's Richards immediately answered when he took the KO at the 10 yard line, cut right and got past several defenders, and then took it the rest of the way for a 90 yard TD. When a bad snap/hold caused WF's Mattfeld to miss the XP, WF was up 16-7 with 2:02 remaining in the first quarter and it looked like the game was going to be a high scoring affair. CV started their next drive on their 36 yard line and after several plays Shields went deep. WF's Richards was able to intercept the ball at the WF 30 yard line and had a nice return, but WF was flagged for PI and after the penalty CV was near midfield. CV then drove inside the WF 10 yard line where CV's Shields scored again on a 4 yard run to cut the lead to 16-14 (Ragano XP) with 9:25 remaining in the half. WF and CV then exchanged punts, but on the CV punt WF's Lee fumbled a fair catch and CV recovered at the CV 46 with a chance to take the lead as the half was winding down, but they were unable to score when they failed to convert a 4th and 1 at the WF 30 yard line. Halftime saw WF up, 16-14.

WF took the second half KO and started at their 36 yard line. Reaching the CV 38 yard line, WF faced a 4th and 4 but Toveil's pass fell incomplete and CV took over. After three plays CV punted and WF had the ball on the WF 35 yard line. After moving about 30 yards to the CV 34 yard line WF faced a 4th and 2, but Legall went 11 yards up the middle to extend the drive. WF would get as far as just inside the CV 4 yard line and faced a 4th and goal with a 16-14 lead and a chance to go up two scores, but elected to take a 13 yard Mattfeld FG to extend the lead to 19-14 with 11:56 to play. On the sidelines, CV's team was pleased to stall the WF drive and make WF settle for the FG. Confidence was high that their offense could score and erase the five point deficit, but this FG would later prove critical to the game's outcome. Starting at the CV 36 yard line, CV's offense began to move until CV's Shields attempted a deep pass over the middle that was picked off by WF's Richards at the WF 22 yard line to kill the drive. Needing a stop to get the ball back, CV's defense forced a WF three and out and the short punt gave CV the ball at the WF 49 yard line with about 6-1/2 minutes to go. Moving deep into WF territory, CV faced a 4th and goal at the WF 4 yard line. On this play, Shields threw a fade to his tall WR Ford in the back corner of the end zone, but the pass was just a bit long and was ruled out of bounds. The WF defense held and the lead remained 19-14 with 4:52 to play. Starting wiht their backs to the wall on the their own 4 yard line, WF was able to get some yards on some hard runs by Legall, but only reached the WF 33 yard line before punting again. CV took over at the WF 46 yard line with 1:29 to play and another chance to win the game. CV smartly moved downfield, with a key play being a Shields pass to CV's McCoy who dodged a tackle and got a first down at the WF 4 yard line with under 30 seconds remaining (here is where WF's earlier FG impacted the game, as CV had to score a TD to win the game). With no time outs remaining, Shields ran to the lefts side reaching the WF two yard line where he was tackled inbounds to keep the clock running, CV quickly lined up and Shields spiked the ball on 2nd down with 10 seconds left. On third down CV ran a quick reverse with Ragano running back to the right side against the flow of the play. Ragano saw an opening and ran into it, only to be met by WF's Yaokouame, with help from WF's Jefferson, to stop CV just inches short of the goal line to seal the win.

Last edited:
250 for now... pending how FCPS responds to the any updated order from the Governor (supposedly 500). At my daughter's school tix are only available to football and cheerleading team members' families and any left over for seniors, plus a very small number that end up with visitor fans.

250 for now... pending how FCPS responds to the any updated order from the Governor (supposedly 500). At my daughter's school tix are only available to football and cheerleading team members' families and any left over for seniors, plus a very small number that end up with visitor fans.
I have not heard anything official, but from talking with an administrator it appears that FCPS will raise the limit from 250 to 500 four outdoor venues on 1 April, IAW the Governor's comments.

I know many of you can view the games on line but I may keep writing up these short summaries none the less. This is all written from cryptic notes on a 3x5 card, so if I am off slightly from the game film (or incorrectly name a player) I apologize.

Great job as usual. We are fortunate to get articles from you because the local newspapers won't do it. Many thanks!

Reactions: falcettik
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT