ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield 20 - Centreville 12

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Westfield opened the game with the ball first and moved from their own 26 yard line to the Centreville 1, converting a 4th and 5 along the way on a Scanlon run, with the big play of the drive being a 30 yard Scanlon to Frimpong pass to get to the Centreville 1 yard line. After a busted play and two incomplete passes, Westfield's Delaney kicked a 25 yard FG to put Westfield up 3-0 at the 9:45 mark. Then the fumble fest started, with the 3 Centreville miscues lost costing the Wildcats much more than the two Westfield lost fumbles (5 fumbles in the 1st quarter). Centreville immediately fumbled on their first possession after the FG and Westfield recovered at the Centreville 10. A few plays later Scanlon hit R. Johnson for a 15 yard TD pass and Westfield extended the lead to 10-0 at the 7:18 mark of the 1st quarter. Centreville then fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Westfield recovered in the Centreville 15 yard line. After Eckert caught a pass to get to the Centreville 5 yard line, Westfield fumbled on the 4 yard line and Centreville's Zambone picked up the ball and advanced it to the Centreville 33, where Centreville promptly fumbled on the next play and Westfield recovered the ball on the Centreville 31. After several plays, Scanlon hit Z. Johnson for a 12 yard TD after scrambling to avoid several Centreville would be tacklers and Westfield went up 17-0 with only 6:16 gone in the game. It looked like it might be a rout, but that is not what played out. Westfield certainly was advantaged by field position and Centreville mistakes at this point in the game.

After Centreville punted again, Westfield fumbled the return and Centreville's drive was still alive at the Centreville 48 yard line. They moved to the Westfield 13 yard line, where on a 4th and 2 they were stopped for a two yard loss and turned the ball back over to Westfield. Westfield punted on this possession, then Centreville put together a 45 yard drive to get to the Westfield 25 yard line where they faced another 4th down, this time 4th and 5. They executed a nice double reverse pass for a TD to Richbourg. The XP was blocked by Petrillo and the Westfield lead was cut to 17-6 with about 4:35 left in the half. The half later ended with the score 17-6.

Centreville punted on their first possession of the 2nd half and Westfield took over on their own 35 yard line. They moved downfield with the help of a 26 yard catch by Johnson and a 24 yard run by James, but then stalled and settled for a 33 yard Delaney FG to push the score to 20-6 at the 7:19 mark of the 3rd quarter. Centreville started their next possession on their own 20 and marched down the field with the drive culminating in a 6 yard TD pass from Siler to Garrett. Petrillo again blocked the XP and the score was now 20-12, Westfield, at the 4:16 mark of the 3rd quarter. At this point both offenses failed to sustain drives. Westfield did not move the ball well until the very end of the game, sometimes gaining some yardage and sometimes stalling due to penalties. Centreville had one more good scoring opportunity early in the 4th quarter, advancing to the Westfield 15 yard line where, on 4th and 5, the Centreville receiver made an excellent attempt by laying fully out to catch a pass that hit his hands but he could not control it and the pass fell incomplete. Westfield then punted after an ineffective drive, and Centreville had the ball near midfield with about 4-5 minutes left in the game. With a 4th and 7 on the Centreville 48, the Wildcats connected on an 11 yard pass to the Westfield 41 and still had a chance to tie the game, but after an incomplete pass, a penalty, and a sack they faced their final chance, a 4th and 17 at the Westfield 48 yard line. On the 4th down play the Westfield defense broke through to drop a scrambling Siler and the game was all but over. The game ended a few minutes later, 20-12, Westfield.

Reactions: BlueFan
Good recap, I am surprised this one was as close as it was
I think everyone that has truly watched Westfield play this year, not just the final score, know they have a very weak offensive line. They can't run block or pass block.

Centreville gave up 3 TO's in first 6 minutes which cost them the game. Westfield also was sloppy early, but didn't hurt them. Score was 17-0 just 6 minutes in to the game. After that point, from this observers position, Centreville was the better team on the field. They controlled the ball, moved the chains and put the ball in the end zone twice. The Centreville defense had Scanlon running for his life the rest of the game. Westfield defense is a good defense, but Centreville offense has been getting better each week and it was a very good battle of a good defense vs a good offensive line. One can never tell without instant replay, but a Scanlon sack and fumble was ruled down, but from my angle looked like the ball was on the ground before he was down. Would have been Centreville ball inside the Westfield red zone. But that's the game.

Westfield has some play makers and a great defense, how far will that take them in this down year is an interesting question. If Centreville can build on this recent improvement and reach the playoffs they might be a tough draw for a top seed.

Westfield opened the game with the ball first and moved from their own 26 yard line to the Centreville 1, converting a 4th and 5 along the way on a Scanlon run, with the big play of the drive being a 30 yard Scanlon to Frimpong pass to get to the Centreville 1 yard line. After a busted play and two incomplete passes, Westfield's Delaney kicked a 25 yard FG to put Westfield up 3-0 at the 9:45 mark. Then the fumble fest started, with the 3 Centreville miscues lost costing the Wildcats much more than the two Westfield lost fumbles (5 fumbles in the 1st quarter). Centreville immediately fumbled on their first possession after the FG and Westfield recovered at the Centreville 10. A few plays later Scanlon hit R. Johnson for a 15 yard TD pass and Westfield extended the lead to 10-0 at the 7:18 mark of the 1st quarter. Centreville then fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Westfield recovered in the Centreville 15 yard line. After Eckert caught a pass to get to the Centreville 5 yard line, Westfield fumbled on the 4 yard line and Centreville's Zambone picked up the ball and advanced it to the Centreville 33, where Centreville promptly fumbled on the next play and Westfield recovered the ball on the Centreville 31. After several plays, Scanlon hit Z. Johnson for a 12 yard TD after scrambling to avoid several Centreville would be tacklers and Westfield went up 17-0 with only 6:16 gone in the game. It looked like it might be a rout, but that is not what played out. Westfield certainly was advantaged by field position and Centreville mistakes at this point in the game.

After Centreville punted again, Westfield fumbled the return and Centreville's drive was still alive at the Centreville 48 yard line. They moved to the Westfield 13 yard line, where on a 4th and 2 they were stopped for a two yard loss and turned the ball back over to Westfield. Westfield punted on this possession, then Centreville put together a 45 yard drive to get to the Westfield 25 yard line where they faced another 4th down, this time 4th and 5. They executed a nice double reverse pass for a TD to Richbourg. The XP was blocked by Petrillo and the Westfield lead was cut to 17-6 with about 4:35 left in the half. The half later ended with the score 17-6.

Centreville punted on their first possession of the 2nd half and Westfield took over on their own 35 yard line. They moved downfield with the help of a 26 yard catch by Johnson and a 24 yard run by James, but then stalled and settled for a 33 yard Delaney FG to push the score to 20-6 at the 7:19 mark of the 3rd quarter. Centreville started their next possession on their own 20 and marched down the field with the drive culminating in a 6 yard TD pass from Siler to Garrett. Petrillo again blocked the XP and the score was now 20-12, Westfield, at the 4:16 mark of the 3rd quarter. At this point both offenses failed to sustain drives. Westfield did not move the ball well until the very end of the game, sometimes gaining some yardage and sometimes stalling due to penalties. Centreville had one more good scoring opportunity early in the 4th quarter, advancing to the Westfield 15 yard line where, on 4th and 5, the Centreville receiver made an excellent attempt by laying fully out to catch a pass that hit his hands but he could not control it and the pass fell incomplete. Westfield then punted after an ineffective drive, and Centreville had the ball near midfield with about 4-5 minutes left in the game. With a 4th and 7 on the Centreville 48, the Wildcats connected on an 11 yard pass to the Westfield 41 and still had a chance to tie the game, but after an incomplete pass, a penalty, and a sack they faced their final chance, a 4th and 17 at the Westfield 48 yard line. On the 4th down play the Westfield defense broke through to drop a scrambling Siler and the game was all but over. The game ended a few minutes later, 20-12, Westfield.
After seeing both teams play Westfield. How do you match up Cville and Robinson ?

oldtimer448, that is a hard one. Given Westfield's issues on offense I am not sure about the relative strength of the Centreville defense overall (i.e., has the CV defense improved or was it lack of offensive execution on WF's part). I have seen CV against WF and Broad Run, and we all know what happened against BR-they shredded CV up the middle, which is not what WF does well at all this year (run up the middle). I do think the CV defense has gotten better since the BR game (and they have Brooks back now, who I think made life difficult for WF Friday night). It should be a close game that comes down to one of two scenarios. CV wins if the CV offense operates effectively. They need to pass a bit better than they did against WF and not turn the ball over. Plus, if the CV defense can at least contain the Robinson run game (not sure on that one) that will bolster CV's chances since Robinson does not like to pass. On the flip side, if Robinson's defense can shut down the CV run game then I think Robinson will come out on top. Either way, I see a close game in the 20's.

Last edited:
Kind of unrelated to this game but I watched Lake Braddock play West Springfield last Friday. Pretty solid showing on offense by Lake Braddock, probably the best performance I have seen so far this year. WS had trouble getting a handle on their RB's that were consistently breaking several tackles on their way to large gains and long scores. West Springfield had kept the score close in the third quarter, but LB offensively was way too much for them to handle all night. Teams like LB often get the "spread offense" hype in preseason articles, but it was clear their focal point this season is to run the football. They could throw the ball when they wanted to, but the ground game was too explosive for them to really need to.

Their defense looked a little suspect to giving up big plays. On one score they let the WS receiver get behind them for a long touchdown pass down the middle, gave up a 50+ yard QB draw for a score, and allowed several other big completions downfield. Not sure if West Springfield is just that good on offense, their QB was impressive though.

I can see Lake Braddock as the last team standing in the north but then again I think when the region final rolls around it will just come down to whose day it will end up being (Westfield, Soco, or LB).

oldtimer448, that is a hard one. Given Westfield's issues on offense I am not sure about the relative strength of the Centreville defense overall (i.e., has the CV defense improved or was it lack of offensive execution on WF's part). I have seen CV against WF and Broad Run, and we all know what happened against BR-they shredded CV up the middle, which is not what WF does well at all this year (run up the middle). I do think the CV defense has gotten better since the BR game (and they have Brooks back now, who I think made life difficult for WF Friday night). It should be a close game that comes down to one of two scenarios. CV wins if the CV offense operates effectively. They need to pass a bit better than they did against WF and not turn the ball over. Plus, if the CV defense can at least contain the Robinson run game (not sure on that one) that will bolster CV's chances since Robinson does not like to pass. On the flip side, if Robinson's defense can shut down the CV run game then I think Robinson will come out on top. Either way, I see a close game in the 20's.
Thanks for the info!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT