ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield 24 - South Lakes 13

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
In a game that was closer than most expected, Westfield's defense and special teams rose to the occasion and helped Westfield in a come from behind 24-13 victory. South Lakes was fired up and came to play, and as the scoreless game wore on deep into the first half they certainly were in it by all means. The Seahawks used a quick snap game and great pass protection to pressure the Bulldogs all night. If not for open receivers dropping passes and untimely penalties, the outcome could have been different.

After trading punts to open the game, WF got the ball on the SL side of the field and drove down to the red zone, only to have SL block a 31 yard FG attempt. SL countered by driving 70 yards to the WF 14, but then a quick succession of 3 penalties and some incomplete passes caused them to punt, pinning WF on their own 1 yard line. WF managed to advance out of the hole behind 3 runs totaling 34 yards by Beard and eventually reached the SL 32 yard line but a failed 4th down attempt gave the ball back to SL. On the next possession SL was quickly forced to punt but the drive was kept alive by a roughing the kicker penalty; SL then had some success moving the ball and reached the WF 26 yard line. At that point Petrillo intercepted SL's Miles at the SL 18 to kill the drive. The teams traded several punts until a SL punt on their own 10 yard line only went 12 yards, giving WF the ball on the SL 22 with less than a minute left in the half. WF's Scanlon then scored the game's first points on a 22 yard run to put WF up, 7-0, with seconds left in the half.

Petrillo again intercepted Miles on the first series of the second half and WF used a short field to get a 31 yard FG, going up 10-0 at the 9:31 mark of the 3rd quarter. The two teams again traded punts, with the WF punt going 57 yards to pin SL on their own 1 yard line. Not being fazed by being so deep in their own territory, SL' s Miles hit Kirlew for a 99 yard catch and run to pull within 10-6 (XP was wide) with 5:15 remaining in the 3rd. Several series later, just after the start of the 4th quarter, SL drove the field and Miles hit Grunshie on a 3 yard pass and SL was up, 13-10, with 9:17 left in the game. WF countered immediately when Green took the ensuing kickoff 80 yards for a TD putting WF back on top, 17-13. On SL's next possession WF's Pickett jumped a passing route that SL had been exploiting all night and got an interception at the SL 24 yard line, giving WF a chance to extend the lead with about 7 minutes left. This time they took advantage, with Scanlon scoring on a 1 yard QB keeper to give WF a safer lead, 24-13, with 6:19 remaining. SL was unable to mount any offense in their last drive, and WF ran out the clock to seal the win.

SL has a several talented sophomores starting, including QB Miles, and a Junior 6'5" OT/DT, Kroll, who was a force all night. The future bodes well for them. WF advances to play Lake Braddock, a 13-10 winner over Battlefield, next Saturday at 1:30 pm (update from original post) at Lake Braddock. This will be the 3rd consecutive year these two teams have met in this round of the playoffs. The winner of this game will play the winner of South County-Robinson on December 5th in the state semifinal.

Last edited:
Good game summary. Are you sure that first FG was blocked - I was at the other end of the field but it looked to me like a fake and the holder #10 Scanlon pulled it and failed to convert the 4th down. Yes, SL dropped a couple of well thrown TD passes early. I believe SL #17 is senior Marvin Grunshie. Second game in a row Westfield defense had 3 interceptions.

I was on the SL sideline parallel to the play on the FG in question, but when the two SL defenders came off the left edge my view of the play was partially blocked by those two players. I am fairly sure I heard the "thud-thud" sound of a blocked kick, but I could be mistaken. If the kick was not blocked and Scanlon did pull the ball, I am fairly confident he did that thinking the kick was going to be blocked anyway. What I think happened was that it was blocked and fell next to Scanlon, who tried to make something out of the play. I'd have to see film to be positive but either way, no points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT