ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield-Quince Orchard-DeMatha Scrimmage

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
After a long rain delay, these three teams decided to play. The first 2 quarter scrimmage pitted WF vs QO. WF managed one drive inside the 20 but was stopped on a 4th and short. QO put together only one long drive that ended in a short TD run (missed XP). Neither team did much offensively other than that and QO won, 6-0.

The second scrimmage saw QO face DM. Both teams moved the ball well overall. DM came away with three scores and won, 21-0, but the game was not that lopsided. DM scored their third TD on the very last play when they hit one of their quick backs in the flat with a pass and he just blew down the sideline. outracing the QO defenders coming over to help. QO had two good opportunities to score but failed on both. On the first one, they faced a 4th and short inside the 15 and went for it. The QB rolled out to his right looking for a receiver, and had one open in the back corner of the end zone. However, he waited a bit too long and did not set his feet on the pass, and that was just enough time for the DM DB to come across and make a leaping play to tip the ball away. QO also missed another scoring chance when they a missed 40 yard FG that was long enough but wide left. With a bit more precision and without the last play the score could have easily been 14-10.

WF faced off with DM in the third scrimmage. As with the second scrimmage, the play was better than the first one of the night, especially on the defensive side for WF. WF advanced on their first drive into the red zone, but was stopped on 4th and two. Although able to move the ball in the middle of the field with some success, WF never threatened again. DM did pretty much the same offensively but got one TD, then a 30 yard FG on the last play of the game. 10-0, DM.

Takeaways:

DM: Smaller than in the past but with several very quick and fast, hard nosed running backs that got them most of their yards on both running and passing plays. I don't know a lot about the WCAC but I think DM may have their hands full with the WCAC teams. SJC, who WF scrimmaged last week, is certainly ahead of them at this point.

QO: They looked really good for only three weeks into the season. They have size, depth, and speed. I think they are a significantly better team overall than last year and played very well last night.

WF: Interestingly, the offense, which I know will put up points, did not score in either of the pre-season scrimmages. I attribute that to the line play, which is a work in progress at this point. Several times QB Kim was "sacked" when the refs used an early whistle to protect the players, when normally he makes a play in those situations. The defense showed some great backside pursuit and quickness coming up to make plays in the secondary, and the d-line played much better than last week.

Funny quote of the night: In the QO-DM game a QO d-line player (who was about 6'1" and 260-270 lbs and a good player) came running off the field, took of his helmet and somewhat excitedly stated to his team mates, "Them some BIG motherf***s"! My guess is the QO team is not used to seeing an O-line with the size of DM's.

Last edited:
Nice write-up and observations Falcettik - it seems you are in mid-season form yourself. QO was 12-2 last year and lost the 4A (MD largest classification) state championship game to Wise. They were impressive - I would think they are poised to challenge for a state title again this season.

The Westfield defense did play better last night (tackling at least) which is maybe surprising because they seem to be experimenting with players at many different positions (some from necessity as they appear to have some injuries on the defensive side of the ball). RB Asante played a good bit at LB on defense and made an impact. Can't imagine though that they will play him both ways on a regular basis.

Agree that St. John's appeared far more formidable last week. But it is early.

After a long rain delay, these three teams decided to play. The first 2 quarter scrimmage pitted WF vs QO. WF managed one drive inside the 20 but was stopped on a 4th and short. QO put together only one long drive that ended in a short TD run (missed XP). Neither team did much offensively other than that and QO won, 6-0.

The second scrimmage saw QO face DM. Both teams moved the ball well overall. DM came away with three scores and won, 21-0, but the game was not that lopsided. DM scored their third TD on the very last play when they hit one of their quick backs in the flat with a pass and he just blew down the sideline. outracing the QO defenders coming over to help. QO had two good opportunities to score but failed on both. On the first one, they faced a 4th and short inside the 15 and went for it. The QB rolled out to his right looking for a receiver, and had one open in the back corner of the end zone. However, he waited a bit too long and did not set his feet on the pass, and that was just enough time for the DM DB to come across and make a leaping play to tip the ball away. QO also missed another scoring chance when they a missed 40 yard FG that was long enough but wide left. With a bit more precision and without the last play the score could have easily been 14-10.

WF faced off with DM in the third scrimmage. As with the second scrimmage, the play was better than the first one of the night, especially on the defensive side for WF. WF advanced on their first drive into the red zone, but was stopped on 4th and two. Although able to move the ball in the middle of the field with some success, WF never threatened again. DM did pretty much the same offensively but got one TD, then a 30 yard FG on the last play of the game. 10-0, DM.

Takeaways:

DM: Smaller than in the past but with several very quick and fast, hard nosed running backs that got them most of their yards on both running and passing plays. I don't know a lot about the WCAC but I think DM may have their hands full with the WCAC teams. SJC, who WF scrimmaged last week, is certainly ahead of them at this point.

QO: They looked really good for only three weeks into the season. They have size, depth, and speed. I think they are a significantly better team overall than last year and played very well last night.

WF: Interestingly, the offense, which I know will put up points, did not score in either of the pre-season scrimmages. I attribute that to the line play, which is a work in progress at this point. Several times QB Kim was "sacked" when the refs used an early whistle to protect the players, when normally he makes a play in those situations. The defense showed some great backside pursuit and quickness coming up to make plays in the secondary, and the d-line played much better than last week.

Funny quote of the night: In the QO-DM game a QO d-line player (who was about 6'1" and 260-270 lbs and a good player) came running off the field, took of his helmet and somewhat excitedly stated to his team mates, "Them some BIG motherf***s"! My guess is the QO team is not used to seeing an O-line with the size of DM's.
Thank you for your observations & write-up. Question - You mention QO has "only three weeks into the season". Is that correct? I thought MD practice started last We (8th), but I could be mistaken.

Thank you for your observations & write-up. Question - You mention QO has "only three weeks into the season". Is that correct? I thought MD practice started last We (8th), but I could be mistaken.
I could very well be wrong-I assumed they started at the same time as VA with their pre-season practice.

I could very well be wrong-I assumed they started at the same time as VA with their pre-season practice.
I'm sure they started Aug 8 (not that it matters). I thought I was missing something when I read your statement... I'm from Western MD and have family & friends who are avid HS football fans there. I asked yesterday when they started and that's how I knew. Again, thank you for your write-up.

QO was 12-2 last year and lost the 4A (MD largest classification) state championship game to Wise. They were impressive - I would think they are poised to challenge for a state title again this season.

Quince Orchard won the Maryland 4A title tonight. Only loss (only close game, really, until tonight) was against Bullis.

Quince Orchard won the Maryland 4A title tonight. Only loss (only close game, really, until tonight) was against Bullis.
I was impressed by the physicality of QO's run game and their focus last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT